gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681063 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 20, 2024, 10:34:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The very worst Beach Boys related 'song' ever released  (Read 68816 times)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 27, 2011, 01:22:19 AM »

Wow, 11 pages and no mention of the most abysmal Beach Boys related song in existence, I of course refer to Speed Turtle. Closely followed by the woeful Won't Somebody Dance With Me?.

There are fifty reasons why Speed Turtle is better than Teeter Totter Love...hmmm, actually, I can only think of 2!  LOL
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 02:19:19 PM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 29, 2011, 12:32:13 AM »

Not released, but I've recently found Mike Love's "Oh Those Girls". One of those songs that are so awful that I'm literally laughing. Loudly. I love Mike's voice, but 90% of the hilarity is his voice - he sounds like a hair metal singer!

I suppose there's something to say for something like that, something you can get some kind of enjoyment out of, than something that's just offensively bad or something. But oh God, I just can't believe how bad this is!

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 29, 2011, 12:42:46 AM »

Summer of Love..Love Is A Woman..Belles Of Paris..Winds Of Change..In The Still of The Night..Student Demonstration Time..Got To Know The Woman..TM Song..Transcendental Meditation Time..Here Comes The Night{Long Version Only}LDC{Party lp}..Bugged at my old man..South Bay Surfer..Lana..Chug A Lug
Chapel Of Love..Louie Louie....Just of the top of my head..IMHO
why belles of paris? :/
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 01, 2011, 01:51:18 PM »

Gonna throw my hat into the ring and say 'Santa's Got An Airplane' is a bloody disgrace and Al deserves a kick in the nads for it.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: May 03, 2012, 04:28:11 AM »

"Barbara-fucking-Ann".

There, I win.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 03, 2012, 04:30:35 AM »

I will never understand why that song is a "classic", its a sloppy cover for a stop-gap album.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 03, 2012, 04:42:17 AM »

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 03, 2012, 04:47:36 AM »

Forgot about that gem.... LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 03, 2012, 04:58:40 AM »

Grin I adore it. It is so inept, so naïve, so utterly utterly out there... in fact it's pointless to criticize it for its faults, as if the guys could have done any better... you just have to love it, period.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: May 03, 2012, 11:08:49 AM »

I like Problem Child, too. what's wrong with me?

So far as I'm concerned, Problem Child is one of what I like to call the "phone book songs."  They're songs that prove the adage, "Carl Wilson could sing a page out of the phone book and it would sound amazing." Although I might rather here Carl sing the phone book, it really doesn't matter how dreadful the song is, I listen anyway, just to hear that voice.  There are a good number of songs that fall into that category for me in the 80s. It's Gettin Late is my favorite of said category.

Personally I can't stand Carl Wilson's voice as soon as it's obvious he doesn't mean what he's singing. His trademark style may still be impressive but I think he wasn't very good at hiding his occasional lack of interest (which probably speaks for him as a person).

That said, "It's Gettin' Late" is one of my 80s-era favorites too, one of BB85's very few genuine high points. It's an interesting song.

Agree on It's Getting Late. And I like Passing Friend too.
I'm not a huge fan of "Passing Friend," but "It's Getting Late" and "Male Ego" are very good tunes. "Male Ego" harkens back to "Love You," with its slightly detuned organ patches...

- B00ts
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: May 03, 2012, 12:03:18 PM »

I haven't read thru all 12 pages of this but...has anybody mentioned the "WipeOut" 'duet' with The Fat Boys? Urgggggh.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 03, 2012, 01:27:15 PM »

Worthy contender:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RryIroTqs-k

and (rock with the croc.....yeah sure, w/e mike...):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B_okZ4kgLg&feature=related

Paul McCartney had this snapper too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0auCDOERZyE
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 03, 2012, 03:35:58 PM »

Carl's vocal on "The Night Was So Young" is weird. The first time I heard it (the 93 box set) I thought it was Brian except for "Why She has to Hi-ii-ide. She's passing it by. She won't even try." Then I thought Brian took over on "to make this love go where it should." (and the equivalent on the later verses).

Those parts I mentioned were the only ones to me that sounded like Carl. Since Carl said he went back and "worked my ass off" to finish "Love You," I'm surprised he didn't take another crack at it.

I wonder how many times the cleaned-up Carl of the '80s and '90s wished he could do it again.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 03, 2012, 03:47:38 PM »

Carl's vocal on "The Night Was So Young" is weird. The first time I heard it (the 93 box set) I thought it was Brian except for "Why She has to Hi-ii-ide. She's passing it by. She won't even try." Then I thought Brian took over on "to make this love go where it should." (and the equivalent on the later verses).

Those parts I mentioned were the only ones to me that sounded like Carl. Since Carl said he went back and "worked my ass off" to finish "Love You," I'm surprised he didn't take another crack at it.

I wonder how many times the cleaned-up Carl of the '80s and '90s wished he could do it again.
his vocals on "the night wa sso young" are amazingly beautiful Smiley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 03, 2012, 03:50:08 PM »

I think you can make a pretty big argument for Barbara Ann, since it was such a big hit but it's out of key the whole time.  If you've ever heard the original, though, it's even worse, amazingly. 

Once you're doing Cover songs, hell the doors are wide open, so it makes it even worse that they'd cover such a crappy song and do such a crappy job of it. 

I know they did a lot of other bad songs, but none of them were actually as popular as this one.  I've never liked it.  Even as a kid I hated it. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 03, 2012, 03:50:54 PM »

I haven't read thru all 12 pages of this but...has anybody mentioned the "WipeOut" 'duet' with The Fat Boys? Urgggggh.

I actually liked it.  the wall of Brian is strong on that one. 
Paulos
« Reply #291 on: May 05, 2012, 04:17:29 AM »

I think you can make a pretty big argument for Barbara Ann, since it was such a big hit but it's out of key the whole time.  If you've ever heard the original, though, it's even worse, amazingly. 

Once you're doing Cover songs, hell the doors are wide open, so it makes it even worse that they'd cover such a crappy song and do such a crappy job of it. 

I know they did a lot of other bad songs, but none of them were actually as popular as this one.  I've never liked it.  Even as a kid I hated it. 

As crappy as the Boys version Barbara Ann is, it seems like a work of towering genius next to the original which is as limp and insipid as it gets.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #292 on: May 05, 2012, 04:40:28 AM »

Newguy, you are now truly one of us.........

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 05, 2012, 05:34:30 AM »

I have long suspected that Brian cut a very good guide vocal for that track, and Carl was following it. For all that Carl had a very distinctive voice himself, he could also be something of a vocal chameleon -- if he copied someone else's phrasing, he ended up sounding like that other person (just listen to the 85 album, where he sounds ridiculously like both Stevie Wonder and Boy George). I suspect that 'chameleon' quality probably came from him singing in the middle of a harmony stack for so long -- when you're singing those parts, you want to sound as close to the people around you as you can, not stand out a mile.

Personally, I love that vocal, but then I think that Love You has some of Brian's best vocals on it, so Carl sounding like Brian then doesn't seem a bad thing to me.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 05, 2012, 02:53:13 PM »

angel ohhhh yeahhhhhhhhhhh

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #295 on: May 05, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »

Smiley

angel ohhhh yeahhhhhhhhhhh

Smiley
Sav-Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 20, 2012, 02:49:20 AM »

As far as worst BB-related song, "Summer of Love." Mike sounds downright creepy. And the "video" was no great shakes either. Brian wearing a leather jacket on the beach?!? LMAO!

And although it's BW solo, "Smart Girls" is up there, too. Brian trying to rap? Uh, Brian...please don't rap. You're not Ice Cube (yeah, I imagine Landy was probably behind that whole debacle, but still...It was a shame, b/c I like most of the other songs on Sweet Insanity, apart from the synth-oriented production).

Other bad moments for me:

Sweet Sunday Kinda Love (just bland and not that interesting)
Oh Darlin' (puts me to sleep everytime I hear it)
School Days (Al sounds OK, but the "wooo-oooh! Wooo-OOOH! Wooo-oooh! Wooo-OOOH" noises are grating)
When Girls Get Together (the rhythm is terrible, and the musical arrangement is just a mess)
California Callin' (sounds more like a California tourism commercial than an actual song)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 03:06:11 AM by Sav-Man » Logged
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 11, 2012, 10:25:52 AM »

"Hey Little Tomboy," hands down.

F'fn creepy!  It makes me sad that Brian was actively involved with this hunk of garbage.  Mike just sounds creepy...like some old dude leering at young girls.  This song deserved to remain in the unreleased bin.

Other clunkers...
"Livin' With a Heartache" straight-up BLOWS!  I can imagine Kenny Rogers singing this circa 1979/80 in a light blue leisure suit!
"Oh Darlin'" is an insanely wimpy sounding song.  Brian's original at least has some soul to it.  Production is syrupy goo (thanks, Bruce).  The chorus is awful "...it's like a missing piece of puzzle has appeared..."
"Sumahama" sounds like something you'd hear just before the nitrous knocked you out and you woke up missing your wisdom teeth.
"Winds of Change" is awful.  When did Barry Manilow join the Beach Boys?
"Somewhere Near Japan" is incredible terrible.
"Student Demonstration Time" is putrid!  Mike sounds so behind-the-times...and to think they bumped something like 4th of July and Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again makes me ill.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:50:56 AM by Banana » Logged

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 26, 2012, 11:46:10 AM »

"Hey Little Tomboy," hands down.

F'fn creepy!  It makes me sad that Brian was actively involved with this hunk of garbage.  Mike just sounds creepy...like some old dude leering at young girls.  This song deserved to remain in the unreleased bin.

Other clunkers...
"Livin' With a Heartache" straight-up BLOWS!  I can imagine Kenny Rogers singing this circa 1979/80 in a light blue leisure suit!
"Oh Darlin'" is an insanely wimpy sounding song.  Brian's original at least has some soul to it.  Production is syrupy goo (thanks, Bruce).  The chorus is awful "...it's like a missing piece of puzzle has appeared..."
"Sumahama" sounds like something you'd hear just before the nitrous knocked you out and you woke up missing your wisdom teeth.
"Winds of Change" is awful.  When did Barry Manilow join the Beach Boys?
"Somewhere Near Japan" is incredible terrible.
"Student Demonstration Time" is putrid!  Mike sounds so behind-the-times...and to think they bumped something like 4th of July and Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again makes me ill.

I agree with ya on Livin with a Heartache, Winds of Change, and Student Demonstration Time...though each has great vocals like any other BB song, these are downright snoozers.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 26, 2012, 04:53:49 PM »

"The Grammy" is  lame

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx