gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681063 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 20, 2024, 10:34:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's problem's...again  (Read 34330 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2012, 04:01:49 PM »

I may be wrong... others more knowledgeable are free to chime in.  I always heard that basically until Melinda got involved, nobody had thought to get him serious treatment, she asked around and found out that UCLA (15 miles from where he's lived and worked his whole life, basically) has one of the greatest psychiatric departments in the world, she took him by and they had him feeling much better in very short order. 

She was critical of his first wife when she talked about this in an interview on Larry King, and a usually very sedate Brian piped up quickly "She didn't know!" definding Marilyn's honor 25 years after the fact.  It was incredibly fascinating to see. 

Forever my Surfer Girl Indeed. 
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2012, 04:07:10 PM »

I may be wrong... others more knowledgeable are free to chime in.  I always heard that basically until Melinda got involved, nobody had thought to get him
She was critical of his first wife when she talked about this in an interview on Larry King, and a usually very sedate Brian piped up quickly "She didn't know!" definding Marilyn's honor 25 years after the fact.  It was incredibly fascinating to see. 

Speaking of, does anyone have this video uploaded?

I had it on VHS a few years ago, but my VHS player now likes to EAT the tape as opposed to playing it.  Wall
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2012, 04:15:28 PM »

I may be wrong... others more knowledgeable are free to chime in.  I always heard that basically until Melinda got involved, nobody had thought to get him

I had it on VHS a few years ago, but my VHS player now likes to EAT the tape as opposed to playing it.  Wall

Don't know about video, but here's the transcript: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0408/20/lkl.00.html
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2012, 04:17:26 PM »

The 60's fugitive was pretty good, you should check it out.  You like old music (Obviously!) so you'll probably like old television shows too, especially when they're actually pretty cool like the Fugitive. 

The 60's Fugitive was one of the best, if not THE best series in the 60's!!

Very noir!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2012, 04:21:35 PM »

I may be wrong... others more knowledgeable are free to chime in.  I always heard that basically until Melinda got involved, nobody had thought to get him serious treatment, she asked around and found out that UCLA (15 miles from where he's lived and worked his whole life, basically) has one of the greatest psychiatric departments in the world, she took him by and they had him feeling much better in very short order. 

Brian had been seeing psychiatrists since 1964 when he had a nervous breakdown on a plane.  He also had been in and out of mental hospitals since 1968, including some prestigious mental hospitals, so he had been getting serious treatment.  As Brian's wife, Marilyn had to have been involved in getting him committed to hospitalization.  She also got him Dr. Landy the first time, though his family got him help the second time.  His family also had him committed a few times after he divorced Marilyn.  He saw other psychiatrists, including legit ones, besides Landy and decades before he met Melinda.

His failure to adhere to treatment that his first wife and family got for him was his own choice, though not unusual for people with histories of drug abuse and psychiatric problems.  In case you don't know it, people in the state of California have the right to refuse psychiatric treatment due to a law signed in 1968 by then-Governor Ronald Reagan.  It was partly to save taxpayer money by letting people free from state mental hospitals (saved taxpayer money in the short run) and also due to some believing that mentally ill people should have a basic human right to refuse hospitalization and medication if they chose.  Due to that, Brian's family were in no legal position to get him to accept mental health treatment beyond 72 hour observation commitments.  It was always up to Brian what he would accept, and his wife and family had minimal say if he didn't want to go in for treatment. Melinda is not exactly the white knight on a horse, other people tried long before he ever met her, and it was up to Brian to decide if he was ready to accept treatment.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2012, 04:41:19 PM »

Don't know about video, but here's the transcript: http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0408/20/lkl.00.html

Thanks for the link. Interesting that Brian says the word "nepenthe". Maybe it was him who came up with that line for the early version of "Tears In The Morning".
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2012, 05:38:19 PM »

Thanks for the link. Interesting that Brian says the word "nepenthe". Maybe it was him who came up with that line for the early version of "Tears In The Morning".

What's this supposed to mean?

KING: So he takes the group out called the Beach Boys.

M. WILSON: He's got some Bruce with him...

B. WILSON: Bruce Johnston.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2012, 07:15:17 PM »

I just read that transcript and it sounds like Melinda was trying to minimize how much she knew about the Beach Boys. She says "some Bruce" like she didn't know his last name, and mentions that she doesn't know who the other members of the Beach Boys are.  I sort of have the feeling she knew exactly who the other Beach Boys were.  Otherwise, how would "we" (as she put it) know that Mike was the person who should get the Beach Boys touring license, and they should also sue Al in addition to denying him rights to use any name using the word Beach Boys in any band he toured with?  After all, there were nine lawsuits "we" were pressing when we married, according to Melinda, and they prevailed in all of them.  It must have limited their wedding guest list to be pressing nine lawsuits at the time of the wedding.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2012, 07:31:53 PM »

I may be wrong... others more knowledgeable are free to chime in.  I always heard that basically until Melinda got involved, nobody had thought to get him serious treatment, she asked around and found out that UCLA (15 miles from where he's lived and worked his whole life, basically) has one of the greatest psychiatric departments in the world, she took him by and they had him feeling much better in very short order.  

She was critical of his first wife when she talked about this in an interview on Larry King, and a usually very sedate Brian piped up quickly "She didn't know!" definding Marilyn's honor 25 years after the fact.  It was incredibly fascinating to see.  

Brian had been seeing psychiatrists since 1964 when he had a nervous breakdown on a plane.  He also had been in and out of mental hospitals since 1968, including some prestigious mental hospitals, so he had been getting serious treatment.  As Brian's wife, Marilyn had to have been involved in getting him committed to hospitalization.  She also got him Dr. Landy the first time, though his family got him help the second time.  His family also had him committed a few times after he divorced Marilyn.  He saw other psychiatrists, including legit ones, besides Landy and decades before he met Melinda.

His failure to adhere to treatment that his first wife and family got for him was his own choice, though not unusual for people with histories of drug abuse and psychiatric problems.  In case you don't know it, people in the state of California have the right to refuse psychiatric treatment due to a law signed in 1968 by then-Governor Ronald Reagan.  It was partly to save taxpayer money by letting people free from state mental hospitals (saved taxpayer money in the short run) and also due to some believing that mentally ill people should have a basic human right to refuse hospitalization and medication if they chose.  Due to that, Brian's family were in no legal position to get him to accept mental health treatment beyond 72 hour observation commitments.  It was always up to Brian what he would accept, and his wife and family had minimal say if he didn't want to go in for treatment. Melinda is not exactly the white knight on a horse, other people tried long before he ever met her, and it was up to Brian to decide if he was ready to accept treatment.

This is true and not true. Part of getting Brian finally separated from Landy was having him declared incompetent to handle his own affairs, which means he was really no longer running his own life or making his own decisions after that point. (Of course, it could be argued that Landy had already made it impossible for BW to be independent anyway ... )
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:34:27 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2012, 07:33:54 PM »

I just read that transcript and it sounds like Melinda was trying to minimize how much she knew about the Beach Boys. She says "some Bruce" like she didn't know his last name, and mentions that she doesn't know who the other members of the Beach Boys are.  I sort of have the feeling she knew exactly who the other Beach Boys were.  Otherwise, how would "we" (as she put it) know that Mike was the person who should get the Beach Boys touring license, and they should also sue Al in addition to denying him rights to use any name using the word Beach Boys in any band he toured with?  After all, there were nine lawsuits "we" were pressing when we married, according to Melinda, and they prevailed in all of them.  It must have limited their wedding guest list to be pressing nine lawsuits at the time of the wedding.

She didn't say they were pressing nine lawsuits. She said they were in the middle of nine, which suggests (as is indeed the case) that it was other people suing Brian. Largely over the autobiography, I believe.

Both Mike and Carl (at the very least) attended Brian's wedding to Melinda. As did Marilyn. And it was held on Marilyn's birthday. And Brian left before they cut the cake.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:56:57 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2012, 07:44:34 PM »

I think when you hear 'lawsuit' it's more shocking to those of us who aren't rich and famous.  Rich and famous people have several lawsuits rolling... most of the time.... so it's probably not as personal to them as it is to us.  Brian even said on one of the interviews recently "It was just a lawsuit" or something to that effect.  People who are involved with the court system (or frequently sued!) don't take it personal after a while.  Ever been involved with any of that?  The plaintiff and defense lawyers go out and eat lunch together! 
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2012, 07:46:11 PM »

"Some Bruce"? Oh boy.  Roll Eyes

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2012, 08:20:32 PM »

I may be wrong... others more knowledgeable are free to chime in.  I always heard that basically until Melinda got involved, nobody had thought to get him serious treatment, she asked around and found out that UCLA (15 miles from where he's lived and worked his whole life, basically) has one of the greatest psychiatric departments in the world, she took him by and they had him feeling much better in very short order.  

She was critical of his first wife when she talked about this in an interview on Larry King, and a usually very sedate Brian piped up quickly "She didn't know!" definding Marilyn's honor 25 years after the fact.  It was incredibly fascinating to see.  

This is true and not true. Part of getting Brian finally separated from Landy was having him declared incompetent to handle his own affairs, which means he was really no longer running his own life or making his own decisions after that point. (Of course, it could be argued that Landy had already made it impossible for BW to be independent anyway ... )

A conservatorship to handle his business affairs didn't mean anyone could force him to accept mental health treatment.  That was something he had to decide for himself.  It also didn't affect any other life decisions apart from his finances.  He was still in control of  his life, just not his money or business decisions. Melinda also wasn't his conservator until after they got married, so some judge or attorney or third party was in charge of all of that.  I'm not necessarily putting down Melinda, but give Brian some or most of the credit for being willing to subject himself to treatment and stick to it. If she's the one who found a good doctor for him, good for her, but he still had to go and do it.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2012, 08:27:16 AM »

"UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Come on Brian. Let's go surfing now. Everybody's learning how. Come on and surf safari with us.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Mr. Wilson, here's your wave.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: But I haven't waxed my board yet.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: You should have thought of that sooner. Let's go."

Unidentified male??? Do they really not know that's Belushi and Wilson?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2012, 11:01:52 AM »

"Some Bruce"? Oh boy.

She's trying to block his image from her head, because otherwise she'd be overcome by lust for his short shorts. Even Dennis Wilson was jealous of Bruce's legs, and almost embarked on a solo tour after POB's release so that he could go back to being the gleam in the eyes of the girls.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2012, 11:25:50 AM »

A conservatorship to handle his business affairs didn't mean anyone could force him to accept mental health treatment.  That was something he had to decide for himself.  It also didn't affect any other life decisions apart from his finances.  He was still in control of  his life, just not his money or business decisions. Melinda also wasn't his conservator until after they got married, so some judge or attorney or third party was in charge of all of that.  I'm not necessarily putting down Melinda, but give Brian some or most of the credit for being willing to subject himself to treatment and stick to it. If she's the one who found a good doctor for him, good for her, but he still had to go and do it.

I don't think the conservatorship was just over the business affairs. "A court appointed conservator over the person is responsible for managing the conservatee's placement, medical decisions, and mental health treatment." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservatorship)

The third party was a guy named Jerome Billet.

Interestingly, Brian is no longer under a conservatorship. It ended a few years after his marriage, apparently.

endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2012, 12:28:34 PM »

I don't think the conservatorship was just over the business affairs. "A court appointed conservator over the person is responsible for managing the conservatee's placement, medical decisions, and mental health treatment." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservatorship)

The third party was a guy named Jerome Billet.

Interestingly, Brian is no longer under a conservatorship. It ended a few years after his marriage, apparently.

I'd have to think the "mental health treatment" part would be trickier in the state of California due to the state law here.  That's a blanket definition for the entire United States.  Patient rights are strong here, which is part of why we have such an intractable homeless problem in cities here.  A few of those homeless people come from good backgrounds with families that could afford to help them, but the person has to want help.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2012, 12:55:50 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not trying to start an argument by any means, but how do you know this? You speak as though it is a fact. Is this based on something you read that may or not be true or can you elaborate?

Again, my reason for starting this tired subject is that I've never really known what the TRUTH is due to a lack of credible sources. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2012, 01:01:42 PM »

Read Carlin's book. It's recent, accurate, and he interviewed all of the principals.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2012, 01:12:24 PM »

[/quote]

Not trying to start an argument by any means, but how do you know this? You speak as though it is a fact. Is this based on something you read that may or not be true or can you elaborate?

Again, my reason for starting this tired subject is that I've never really known what the TRUTH is due to a lack of credible sources. 
[/quote]

Interviews Brian has given over the years and bios. like most people posting here (and if you're asking a question on this board, that's all you're pretty much going to get).  Even in the transcript posted here from the LK Show, Brian mentions he had a breakdown in the mid'-60s and saw a doctor and was given medication.  All anyone knows is through bios and secondary sources.  Melinda Wilson isn't the only person who ever tried to get the guy help, and people only have her word, second-hand, in interviews where she implies his family members prior to her didn't do much to help him.  He was also in worse condition when he was married to Marilyn, but Marilyn no doubt tried the best she could.  Would Melinda have even been interested in him as he appeared in 1975, had he shown at her place of business, being 100 pounds overweight and looking and acting as he did then?  The fact she found him at least attractive enough to agree to see again, after selling him a car, is a testament to the fact that someone got him some help before he met her.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2012, 02:50:41 PM »

It's too bad Brian does not put out a real biography while he is still here, one that clears up fact from fiction. I'm sure he has no interest and may feel it's all too personal. I can only imagine the nonsense that will be written when he is gone.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2012, 02:53:09 PM »

It's too bad Brian does not put out a real biography while he is still here, one that clears up fact from fiction. I'm sure he has no interest and may feel it's all too personal. I can only imagine the nonsense that will be written when he is gone.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2012, 03:12:52 PM »

That's the one. Best book about Brian written so far. Nearly definitive. Not great on the rest of the band, necessarily (he's definitely a pro-Brian guy), but evenhanded and empathetic. The best non-sensational examination of Brian's personality, too.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2012, 04:36:19 PM »

That's the one. Best book about Brian written so far.

Best RELEASED book written about Brian so far :D

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2012, 06:35:25 AM »

OK I'll pick that one up. Been meaning to pick up Stebbin's stuff as well, in particular the one on David Marks. I have not purchased a book on the Beach Boys since that rotten Landy thing. It really turned me off on the whole idea.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx