gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 12:44:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: new comp announced - June 10 - U.S. Singles  (Read 24742 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2008, 02:01:45 AM »

Oh, and the price in the Uk is £72.99.  Shocked

What Records has it for £69.99.

http://www.whatrecords.co.uk/items/46227.htm

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2008, 02:22:27 AM »

Anyway, I don't think it will ultimately matter, because I believe the Beach Boys' comp will tank. I think the audience for this release is limited, very limited.

Which is why it's a limited edition, oddly enough.

Could the conspiracy theorists/Love bashers please consider this - the initial release date for POB/Bambu was March, then May, at which time we knew nothing about the Capitol project, which had evidently been in the works since mid-2007. It's as plausible as Al Fayed saying that Diana told him she was pregnant and 'the establishment' mounting a world-wide operation to kill her within an hour.  Would Sony/Legacy have contacted Capitol saying "we've got a BB singles box coming out in June 2008, you releaseing and BB related stuff around then ?" Don't think so. It's a coincidence, that's all.

I'll be getting the DW stuff from day one. When the singles box is about £25 on amazon... maybe.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MBE
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2008, 03:19:52 AM »

That's about $140 too rich for my blood. Maybe if they did a vinyl version but even then it's still a hell of a lot of money.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2008, 07:19:06 AM »

With the timing of the two releases, every review of the singles comp will probably mention Dennis' POB release, and vice versa - it has the potential for great cross promotion. 

I don't understand the negative talk about the singles comp.  Sure, we didn't get the mono/stereo remixes rereleases of the single albums we were hoping for years ago - but this is the next best thing - original mono single mixes and stereo remixes (or live takes where stereo isn't possible) - in collectors' packaging, as has been done for The Rolling Stones and the Beatles.  Don't the Beach Boys deserve a similar singles collection package as their peers?  And we're getting "extra" value because of the stereo remixes.  I assume the 45 picture sleeves will be reproduced.  Really, to carp about this is petty in my opinion.  If you're strapped for cash, sure, don't buy it, but when it goes out of print you'll all be kicking yourselves.  A collection like this is giving Brian and the Beach Boys the respect they deserve for creating one of the finest bodies of work in the singles medium in the 60's - finer than the Stones certainly, the Beatles - well, arguably comparable. 

For those who want a collection of "new" material - meaning unreleased - I may be in the minority here, but besides the Smile sessions there's not much unreleased material that's that great.  Most of it was unreleased for a reason.  And don't we have most of that unreleased stuff on "unofficial" releases anyway?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2008, 07:38:02 AM »

If you're strapped for cash, sure, don't buy it, but when it goes out of print you'll all be kicking yourselves.  A collection like this is giving Brian and the Beach Boys the respect they deserve for creating one of the finest bodies of work in the singles medium in the 60's - finer than the Stones certainly, the Beatles - well, arguably comparable. 

I won't be kicking myself. I'll buy it used for $25--maybe. Why maybe? Because I don't care about cute little singles packaged separately. And I only find new stereo mixed moderately interesting. Sometimes, yes. At any given moment, I may marvel at some. But for general listening, it's just not that important to me. I know some people love it. Good for them. I'm not angry about the singles comp, I just don't care. Those who do, great. They'll buy it. Enjoy. I just don't want something that's more a marketing device than a musical release.

For those who want a collection of "new" material - meaning unreleased - I may be in the minority here, but besides the Smile sessions there's not much unreleased material that's that great.  Most of it was unreleased for a reason.  And don't we have most of that unreleased stuff on "unofficial" releases anyway?

I half agree with you. A lot of the unreleased stuff isn't great. But plenty of it is good--as good as a lot of what was released. (No, not all secret gems that are better than the best. I'm not one of those who goes on like that.) And if something is pretty good, well-done, mostly complete, I'd like to have it. And that which we have unofficially, I'd rather pay for through official channels and receive in clean-sounding, well-mixed, well-mastered versions.

When the well runs dry, fine. I'm done. I still won't need the repackagings of hits. I've got what there is, and that's enough. It's just that there are more interesting (to me) things that still could be done. And it's frustrating that those aren't the things that are often getting done. Here I am excited about POB/Bambu, and I only like about half of POB. But at least it's got something new; it's a new project. I guess there are just different types of fans who want different things, and I'm not the type off whom the labels believe they make the most profit. I understand that. I will buy everything, but prefer only to buy it once.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
carly
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2008, 08:31:09 AM »

I have the BB Good Vibrations 30 years 5 cd disc set.....would it be worth my money to buy this new release?  My set pretty much covers everything.

Why don't they come out with a dvd set like Beatles Anthology, with unseen footage and songs in a documentary...I would be more interested in that, the families and friends could dig deep into their film footages and drag out the studio footages etc.
Carly
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2008, 08:36:10 AM »

Why don't they come out with a dvd set like Beatles Anthology, with unseen footage and songs in a documentary...I would be more interested in that, the families and friends could dig deep into their film footages and drag out the studio footages etc.
Carly

That's my--and probably several other people's--dream Beach Boys project, sort of like a super, souped-up Endless Harmony (which I did love, but just wasn't long enough to have the depth I'd prefer). Sadly, with each passing year, someone who could contribute to it dies, and the memories of the people still alive fade further. Honestly, I suppose it wouldn't happen anyway, because I can't imagine the Beach Boys side to want to participate if Leaf is involved or in charge, and I can't imagine the B. Wilson team participating if he weren't. (Obviously, that's speculation on my part.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2008, 08:50:46 AM »

We'd all love an Anthology style multi DVD set chronicling the Beach Boys - but is there a market for it?  The Beach Boys do not have the sales pull and cachet and press awareness of the Beatles.  Look how the announcement of unreleased Star Club tapes made the national news - do you think a discovery of an unreleased 63 tape of a Beach Boys concert would have made the same splash?  The hard core Beach Boys fan base is quite small that would buy such a thing IMO.  I think the way to go for unreleased video/studio material is to release it in limited editions via a Beach Boys website (like Rhino Handmade) where it could be profitable - as apparently Alan Boyd et al were planning to do (whether by download or by selling through the website) but for whatever reasons they have been unable to get going.  As we all know, getting clearances from all the parties and Capitol et al is a near insurmountable task.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2008, 08:58:21 AM »

You're exactly right that it would almost definitely have to be done on a boutique label, online, etc. I don't think any of us believe that it could be done in a single drop of a hard-copy, big budget sort of project in every store worldwide with the corresponding marketing campaign that surrounded Anthology. I mean, remember how omnipresent Anthology was!?

But by combining existing footage and interviews, plus doing extensive new ones with those people still surviving, the results could be amazing, even if it were released in segments in an online-only format or with minimal marketing. The hardcore fans would probably all buy it. I don't think it would set the world on fire, but it's hard to imagine it not turning a profit.

Sign-off by everyone would appear to be the hardest thing. I wonder if the best way to go about it would be by having someone unattached to any of the principals do the piece. Bring in a big-name producer or director to handle it, pitching it as creating a true historical document of an important American cultural phenomenon. Make sure everyone knows going in that this director is trying for objectivity, and so everyone will probably look like the jackass he was at some point, and like the hero he was at some point. (Note, I avoided villain and hero, because that would be lame even for me to say.) But make sure that everyone knows he'll be treated respectfully and fairly as a person--not reduced to the easy caricatures that even many of us consider these people to be.

I can dream...

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2008, 09:04:52 AM »

POB Legacy edition = some brand new music that nobody outside the people working on it have ever heard.

BBs US Singles box = songs that most of us have many times over, albeit some in new mixes. 

Seems a no brainer:  do whatever I can to buy POB/Bambu the day it comes out (or bribe someone on the docks to get it the night before), and buy the Singles box the following payday.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2008, 09:09:58 AM »

For a big name to do the Anthology style video - would Scorsese be interested?  He did the Band, Dylan and now the Stones - wouldn't it be nice (no pun intended) if he could add the Beach Boys to that list?  He's a Spector fan (I remember Be My Baby in Mean Streets) - any indication he likes the Beach Boys?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2008, 09:40:58 AM »

For a big name to do the Anthology style video - would Scorsese be interested?  He did the Band, Dylan and now the Stones - wouldn't it be nice (no pun intended) if he could add the Beach Boys to that list?  He's a Spector fan (I remember Be My Baby in Mean Streets) - any indication he likes the Beach Boys?

He put "Sail On Sailor" in "The Departed" (which coincidentally I just watched last night).  He also seemed very appreciative of Brian when the two of them were inducted into the Kennedy Center Honors this past fall.
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2008, 12:41:19 PM »

BTW the release date of the box has nothing to do with the POB release by Sony except perhaps that everyone wants to release B. Boys product in the summertime.....

I'm writing an article about the POB re release and I find the recent news (and timing) of the singles box quite interesting to say the least. I agree with the previous posting that said it was unfortunate that Brother has decided to release at the same time as POB trying to take the spotlight away from Dennis after all these years. One thing I learned in my interviews is that Mr. Linett and Mr. Boyd were not involved with the creation of the new album other than fetching the tapes from brother vault. Is that the reason for the timing of the singles box? I know I will be spending my money on Dennis and wait for a review copy of the singles box.

[/quote]

Brother Records hasn't decided to release anything.  Capitol / EMI is releasing the box set.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2008, 03:27:50 PM »

From below...

'The Beach Boys: U.S. Singles Collection - The Capitol Years (1962-1965)' Limited Edition Boxed Set to be Released June 10 by Capitol/EMI

Deluxe 16-CD & Digital Collection Gathers Iconic Band's Earliest A &
              B-Sides, Plus Alternate Mixes and Live Versions

HOLLYWOOD, Calif., April 15 /PRNewswire/ -- On June 10, Capitol/EMI
will release the first complete collection of The Beach Boys' early Capitol
Records singles, spanning the years 1962 to 1965. The Beach Boys: U.S.
Singles Collection - The Capitol Years (1962-1965) will be released in a
highly-collectible, limited edition boxed set of 16 CDs and as a digital
collection. Each of the deluxe boxed set's CDs includes an original
single's A and B-sides, plus other versions of most tracks, from additional
mono and stereo mixes to live recordings. Eight previously unreleased mixes
are among the new collection's 66 tracks.

The CD boxed set's lavish packaging includes 16 individual CDs in
digipaks with faithfully reproduced original single artwork, plus a 48-page
hardbound photo book with faux sand finish, housed in a striking '60s
hotrod and surfboard-inspired red and yellow box with wood inlay.

The hit-packed set begins with 1962's "Surfin' Safari" and its B-side,
"409," in their original mono mixes, paired with a 1965 concert recording
of "409." Also included are The Beach Boys' timeless #1 smash Pop hits "I
Get Around" and "Help Me Rhonda," and Top 10 Pop hits "Surfin' USA,"
"Surfer Girl," "Be True To Your School," "Little Saint Nick," "Fun, Fun,
Fun," "When I Grow Up To Be A Man," "Dance, Dance, Dance," "The Man With
All The Toys," and "California Girls." The new collection's other hit sides
include "Ten Little Indians," "Shut Down," "Little Deuce Coupe," "In My
Room," "Why Do Fools Fall In Love?," "Don't Worry Baby," "Wendy," "Little
Honda," "Do You Wanna Dance?" and "Please Let Me Wonder."

In 1961, The Beach Boys began singing about America's newest craze,
surfing. What followed was a wave of hits that vividly expressed the
lifestyles, dreams and ambitions of America's youth. Their signature sound,
full of sun-drenched harmonies, golden melodies and descriptive lyrics,
delivered a taste of the free and easy California lifestyle to listeners
around the world. The music of The Beach Boys brings optimism and a beam of
Southern California sun wherever it is played.

For more than four decades, The Beach Boys, originally comprised of the
three Wilson brothers: Brian, Carl and Dennis, their cousin Mike Love, and
school friend Al Jardine, have recorded and performed the music that has
become the world's favorite soundtrack to summer. In 1962, Hawthorne
neighbor David Marks joined the group for their first wave of hits on
Capitol Records, leaving in late 1963, and in 1965, Bruce Johnston joined
the band when Brian Wilson retired from touring.

The Beach Boys: U.S. Singles Collection - The Capitol Years (1962-1965)
captures all of the earliest fun in the sun highlights from America's Band
in one gorgeous, artful package. It follows the 2007 release of The Warmth
Of The Sun, a new career-spanning collection compiled and sequenced by the
band's Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston, Mike Love, and Brian Wilson to
complement 2003's double-platinum certified Sounds Of Summer: The Very Best
Of The Beach Boys.

For the latest Beach Boys news and tour dates, please visit the band's
official Website: http://www.thebeachboys.com

The Beach Boys: U.S. Singles Collection - The Capitol Years (1962-1965)
     (Deluxe, Limited Edition CD Boxed Set & Digital Collection)

CD Single 1
     1. Surfin' Safari
        (Brian Wilson - Mike Love)
        mono single, Pop #14 / charted 8-11-62
     2. 409
        (Brian Wilson - Mike Love - Gary Usher)
        mono single, Pop #76 / charted 10-13-62
     3. 409 (Live)
        Recorded live in Chicago 3-27-65, mono mix / previously unreleased

CD Single 2
     1.  Ten Little Indians
         (Brian Wilson - Gary Usher)
         mono single, Pop #49 / charted 12-1-62
     2.  County Fair
         mono single
     3.  Punchline
         (Brian Wilson)
         Instrumental, mono mix from Good Vibrations: Thirty Years of the
         Beach Boys

CD Single 3
     1.  Surfin' USA
         (Chuck Berry - Brian Wilson)
         mono single, Pop #3 / charted 3-23-63; R&B #20 / charted 4-20-63
     2.  Shut Down
         (Brian Wilson - Roger Christian)
         mono single, Pop # 23 / charted 4-27-63
     3.  Surfin' USA
         original stereo mix from Surfin' U.S.A.
     4.  Shut Down
         stereo mix from Sounds Of Summer

CD Single 4
     1. Surfer Girl
        (Brian Wilson)
        mono single, Pop #7 / charted 8-3-63; R&B #18 / charted 8-31-63
     2. Little Deuce Coupe
        mono single, Pop #15 / charted 8-17-63; R&B #28 / charted 8-24-63
     3. Surfer Girl
        original stereo mix from Surfer Girl
     4. Little Deuce Coupe

CD Single 5
     1. Be True To Your School
        mono single, Pop #6 / charted 11-2-63; R&B #27 / charted 11-16-63
     2. In My Room
        mono single, Pop #23 / charted 11-2-63
     3. Be True To Your School
        mono alternate version from Little Deuce Coupe
     4. In My Room

CD Single 6
     1. Little Saint Nick
        mono single, Pop #3 / charted 12-21-63; also Pop #6 / charted 12-5-64
     2. The Lord's Prayer
        (Albert Hay Malotte)
        mono single
     3. Little Saint Nick
        new stereo mix / previously unreleased
     4. The Lord's Prayer
        stereo mix from Hawthorne, CA

CD Single 7
     1. Fun, Fun, Fun
        mono single, Pop #5 / charted 2-15-64
     2. Why Do Fools Fall In Love?
        (Frankie Lymon - Morris Levy)
        mono single, Pop #120 / charted 2-15-64
     3. Fun, Fun, Fun
        original stereo mix from Shut Down, Vol. 2
     4. Why Do Fools Fall In Love?
        alternate mono single edit / previously unreleased

CD Single 8
     1. I Get Around
        mono single, Pop #1 / charted 5-23-64
     2. Don't Worry Baby
        mono single, Pop #24 / charted 5-30-64
     3. I Get Around
        stereo track mix from Good Vibrations: Thirty Years Of The Beach Boys
     4. Don't Worry Baby

CD Single 9
     1. When I Grow Up To Be A Man
        mono single, Pop #9 / charted 9-5-64
     2. She Knows Me Too Well
        mono single
     3. When I Grow Up To Be A Man
     4. She Knows Me Too Well

CD/EP Single 10
     1. Wendy
        mono, Pop #44 / charted 10-17-64
     2. Don't Back Down
        (Brian Wilson)
        mono
     3. Little Honda
        Mono, Pop #65 / charted 10-17-64
     4. Hushabye
        (Doc Pomus - M. Schuman)
        mono
     5. Wendy
        stereo mix from Sounds Of Summer: The Very Best Of The Beach Boys
     6. Don't Back Down
        original stereo mix from All Summer Long
     7. Little Honda
     8. Hushabye

CD Single 11
     1. Dance, Dance, Dance
        (Brian Wilson - Carl Wilson - Mike Love)
        mono single, Pop #8 / charted 11-7-64
     2. The Warmth Of The Sun
        mono single
     3. Dance, Dance, Dance
     4. The Warmth Of The Sun

CD Single 12
     1. The Man With All The Toys
        mono single, Pop #3 / charted 12-5-64
     2. Blue Christmas
        (Billy Hayes - J. W. Johnson)
        mono single
     3. The Man With All The Toys
        original stereo mix from The Beach Boys Christmas Album
     4. Blue Christmas
        original stereo mix from The Beach Boys Christmas Album

CD Single 13
     1. Do You Wanna Dance?
        (Bobby Freeman)
        mono single, Pop #12 / charted 2-27-65
     2. Please Let Me Wonder
        mono single, Pop #52 / charted 3-6-65
     3. Do You Wanna Dance?
        new stereo track mix / previously unreleased
     4. Please Let Me Wonder
        stereo mix from The Warmth Of The Sun

CD Single 14
     1. Help Me, Rhonda
        mono single, Pop #1 / charted 4-17-65
     2. Kiss Me, Baby
        mono single
     3. Help Me, Rhonda
        mono backing track from Beach Boys Party!/Stack-O-Tracks twofer
     4. Kiss Me, Baby

CD Single 15
     1. California Girls
        mono single, Pop #3 / charted 7-24-65
     2. Let Him Run Wild
        mono single
     3. California Girls
     4. Let Him Run Wild

CD Single 16 (Bonus Single)
     1. All Dressed Up For School
        (Brian Wilson)
        mono mix (9-16-64) / previously unreleased original mono mix
     2. I'm So Young
        (W. H. Tyrus, Jr.)
        mono mix (9-9-64) / previously unreleased original mono mix
     3. Help Me, Rhonda
        alternate mono mix from Endless Harmony
     4. Graduation Day
        (J. Sherman - N. Sherman)
        stereo mix from Today / Summer Days twofer
    Billboard(R) chart positions courtesy of BPI Communications and Joel
Whitburn's Record Research Publications.

SOURCE Capitol/EMI
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2008, 07:34:01 PM »

Someone will buy or pre-ordered the box?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2008, 08:05:58 PM »

???Yes, someone will!

I just realized that Vol 2 will neatly have the same amount of CD's, 15 singles to complete the US Capitol 60's singles, plus no doubt another bonus CD.  That should have unreleased mixes/stuff that should surpass the first collection - stuff like:
stereo mix of Girl Don't Tell Me
Party tracks There's No Other, Barbara Ann and Devoted to You in stereo
stereo Smiley and Wild Honey tracks: Gettin' Hungry, Wind Chimes (bonus track: Smile stereo Wind Chimes?), Wild Honey, Darlin'.
Mono Friends mixes of Little Bird, Friends, Bluebirds.

For extra tracks - on the Heroes single, how about instead of the stereo Hawthorne version, how about a Durrie Parks or Mike Love acetate/tape of the fabled five to six minute version?  And the original Capitol picture sleeve?

For the "bonus" CD, how about a stereo Smile Vegetables rather than the Hawthorne Smiley version (it was going to be a single at one time after all), the Brian mono mix of Trombone Dixie, and the Brian mono mix of the Child track?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2008, 11:06:56 PM »

Mono single mixes from the post-mono album era would be really nice if there is a volume two, although I think a few of them might just have been fold-downs from the stereo.  I'd be quite happy with a volume two following the same format as this one.

I mean, realistically, there's not going to be anything on it that's not related to a single...but the singles were were pretty great and maybe Mark'll push for a couple more fun remixes, or an, ahem, a capella mix or 15.

But right now, I'm just going to enjoy this volume.  Really looking forward to it.  This is going to be a strange June for me...I'll be buying at least three records/record sets on the day they come out, which is rare enough in a year for me.

I love the Beach Boys!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2008, 11:28:52 PM »

The only pukka mono mix (i.e not a fold-down) of a stereo track I'm aware of is the US "Friends" 45, but that's been released on GH2.

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2008, 02:28:07 AM »

I don't see an issue with the releases at the same time.
To be honest, I don't think another BB comp coming out however they dress it up is very newsworthy, but in the last couple of weeks i've seen loads of articles in magazines and online about the POB reissue.
Anyone who is a Beach Boys fan is going to go for POB straightaway (myself included) as
1) It's cheaper, 2) It's rare and unreleased material, whereas the BB boxset - though nice - is more a 'collectors' item to my mind which only a hardcore fan will get. I think the POB reissue ironically is going to appeal to a wider audience due to the amount of exposure it's had recently plus it's reputation has been building up for 30 years.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2008, 02:00:33 PM »

Looks like this will be a slightly more interesting release than what I thought it would be.  Not sure yet if I will be picking this one up but those new stereo remixes are very tempting...

I wonder if this will go up on iTunes?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2008, 04:12:42 PM »

The only pukka mono mix (i.e not a fold-down) of a stereo track I'm aware of is the US "Friends" 45, but that's been released on GH2.

Little Bird had a dedicated mono mix as well - the mono mixing session/attempts are on Goodbye Surfing Hello God.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2008, 10:03:23 PM »

Duh ! As the B side to "Friends", of course it would be...

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx