gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 08:57:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What did Mike + the other Boys think of Jack Rieley's lyrics?  (Read 26079 times)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 19, 2015, 03:22:27 AM »

Do you ever wonder if any of these ever talked to each other? If they all owned a piece of Brother Records and hired Anderle to run it, did they not have a plan? Did they not sit down and discuss how the business was to be run. Wasn't Anderle making decisions in the day to day running of the business? A business that new, one would think that in the beginning they would all be on the same page getting it up and running. Sounds like buck passing or Anderle was too much under Brian's sway to make his own business decisions.

Hey drBB - from David Anderle's recollection/perception of events described in the Tom Nolan interview, apparently not to many of your questions (the below words appear immediately before the dfwtf quote cited by tortapuerco (thanks, dude) - A

The idea of Brother Records was to guarantee Brian the liberty to make whatever kind of music he wanted. It would be the Beach Boys' own label, and David would be its director.

It seemed like a good idea at the time, but once into it David realized it had nothing to do with the creativity. It ran counter to their whole ethic. The rest of the crew was trying to be open and fertile, while David was putting things into compartments because he was trying to make a business. A certain amount of structuring was needed. He thought he could do it all: hang out, fantasize at night; then put it all together in the daytime. You couldn't do both. The music always suffered at the hands of the business. You had to be open to all vibrations, you had to have strength, and you couldn't get it sitting behind a desk all day listening to uptight phone calls and deciding what percentage was right.

--------
Brian played the Beach Boys his new music and it scared the sh*t out of them.

That's what David thought happened. He couldn't figure it any other way. They must have known it was great music. They had to. But they knew it was something that wasn't them. Brian did not get the family backing that he needed. He had been working as a solitary musician and suddenly had to return to working with the Beach Boys; he lost his immediacy explaining to people.

It got too hard for David. He couldn't deal with explaining something five or six separate times for five or six separate people. And there was no way to get them to agree to a single course of action when they all had their own personal desires.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 19, 2015, 05:40:15 AM »

Dang it, wrong thread again. Nothin' to see here. No, I'm not senile.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 06:04:36 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 19, 2015, 06:26:01 AM »

Do you ever wonder if any of these ever talked to each other? If they all owned a piece of Brother Records and hired Anderle to run it, did they not have a plan? Did they not sit down and discuss how the business was to be run. Wasn't Anderle making decisions in the day to day running of the business? A business that new, one would think that in the beginning they would all be on the same page getting it up and running. Sounds like buck passing or Anderle was too much under Brian's sway to make his own business decisions.

Hey drBB - from David Anderle's recollection/perception of events described in the Tom Nolan interview, apparently not to many of your questions (the below words appear immediately before the dfwtf quote cited by tortapuerco (thanks, dude) - A

The idea of Brother Records was to guarantee Brian the liberty to make whatever kind of music he wanted. It would be the Beach Boys' own label, and David would be its director.

It seemed like a good idea at the time, but once into it David realized it had nothing to do with the creativity. It ran counter to their whole ethic. The rest of the crew was trying to be open and fertile, while David was putting things into compartments because he was trying to make a business. A certain amount of structuring was needed. He thought he could do it all: hang out, fantasize at night; then put it all together in the daytime. You couldn't do both. The music always suffered at the hands of the business. You had to be open to all vibrations, you had to have strength, and you couldn't get it sitting behind a desk all day listening to uptight phone calls and deciding what percentage was right.

--------
Brian played the Beach Boys his new music and it scared the sh*t out of them.

That's what David thought happened. He couldn't figure it any other way. They must have known it was great music. They had to. But they knew it was something that wasn't them. Brian did not get the family backing that he needed. He had been working as a solitary musician and suddenly had to return to working with the Beach Boys; he lost his immediacy explaining to people.

It got too hard for David. He couldn't deal with explaining something five or six separate times for five or six separate people. And there was no way to get them to agree to a single course of action when they all had their own personal desires.

See, there is the first issue. A company owned by the band members, but "guarantee Brian the liberty to make whatever kind of music he wanted." I think Anderle was too sided with Brian to run a corporation that had 5-6 owners. He (Anderle) didn't know how to run a business. He wanted to run a playground for Brian. There was no vision. The label went dormant within a year, year in a half. When reactivated with Warner/Reprise, it still never fully materialized to what a record company should aspire. It (BRI) wound up being a holding company for the most part. A company almost exclusively overseeing the intellectual property of The Beach Boys name.

On another note, I'll bet if Brian had just stuck to producing other artists and not writing for them, there probably would not have been as much acrimony as like what went down with Redwood. I can see the Boys' point of view where writing for other artists would impact on their own careers, But that was Anderle's job to work that situation out. He was running the company and should have been making those decisions. If he did not insist on having those powers within the corporate structure, then that was pure business weakness on his part for not insisting on it when he was hired.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2015, 08:15:18 AM »

The alleged "formula" quote. No-one has, to my knowledge - as ever I stand to be corrected - any reference to it prior to the mid seventies, and certainly not in any contemporary media. Few years ago, as I posted here at the time, I asked Mike about it and he gave me a source, viz. one of the suits at Capitol when he and Brian presented the finished Pet Sounds to them. He admitted it sounded like something he might say, given his love of alliteration.

Tom Nolan Rolling Stone article, October 28, 1971.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beach-boys-a-california-saga-19711028?page=6

"Mike Love was the tough one for David (Anderle). Mike really befriended David: He wanted his aid in going one direction while David was trying to take it the opposite way. Mike kept saying, 'You're so good, you know so much, you're so realistic, you can do all this for us-why not do it this way.' and David would say 'Because Brian wants it that way.' 'Gotta be this way.' David really holds Mike Love responsible for the collapse. Mike wanted the bread, 'and don't f*** with the formula.'"

Profound thanks for that: I'm away from the Bellagio Archives right now and couldn't check. So, it's back to fall 1971... however, Anderle doesn't attach it to Pet Sounds but rather during Smile. More problems. There's another caveat in that, along with all the New Best Friends, David isn't exactly a neutral voice. Curiouser and curiouser.

Care to take a guess on naming the "sides" among band members when Michael Vosse remembered them huddling up and taking sides in the studio when there were arguments? That also explains a lot.

And this stuff about David Anderle, I don't get it. DrBeachBoy went on a tangent blasting David Anderle in the other thread that got a reply, but he posts over here instead? Ok. Roll with that, then.

If we want to push this, Anderle in the Williams interviews from 1967 said Mike supported the plans he had for Brother going in, and if you read between the lines it may have had to do with the way income could be generated for the band through the new operations. Eventually Nick Grillo picked up the plans started by Anderle, as much as was possible and leaning into investments beyond the music biz to generate income. But the Nolan interview added another layer to the Anderle involvement. Happens everyday in board rooms to those reality shows like Survivor and Big Brother. The notion of the "alliance". I'll cozy up to you and vote with you but I expect to get this in return for my coziness and support. That's business.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2016, 09:36:28 AM »

It came out Jack had lied about his previous accomplishments in getting the job of manager.  

And some of the Beach Boys lied about being surfers.  What's a few lies among friends?

He claimed he worked for NBC's Puerto Rican bureau. There isn't one.

He claimed he won a Peabody Prize. He didn't.

When Ricky was having immigration hassles, Rieley produced a letter of welcome from a well-known politician. A stack of notepaper with said politician's letterhead was later found in his desk drawer.

That's not "a few lies amongst friends", that's flat out fraudulent.

Thread bump!  Wink
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 09:39:48 AM by filledeplage » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx