gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680989 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 11:24:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 254 255 256 257 258 [259] 260 261 262 263 264 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1741647 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6450 on: September 10, 2011, 12:25:12 PM »

If you go back far enough - Brian great-grandfather on Murry's side, Charles Sthole, was born in Smaland, Sweden, 10/10/1867.

For them as cares, Brian's other g-grandparents were born in Wisconsin (three), Illinois, (two), Ohio and Holland.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 12:27:46 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
GeorgeFellInHisHorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6451 on: September 10, 2011, 04:23:16 PM »

Another thing i'm hoping to get with the box (and quite possibly the proposed album) is Look - w/ the drums during the "verse" or whatever that part's considered...

what do you think are the chances of this?

Bill Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6452 on: September 10, 2011, 04:33:32 PM »

If you go back far enough - Brian great-grandfather on Murry's side, Charles Sthole, was born in Smaland, Sweden, 10/10/1867.

For them as cares, Brian's other g-grandparents were born in Wisconsin (three), Illinois, (two), Ohio and Holland.

And if you go way way back to the 18th century you'll find that Brian's ancestors are also Scottish - Wilson is a Scottish surname.

I guess I've got a way with girls
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6453 on: September 10, 2011, 04:44:32 PM »

I've always wondered--is it ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that "swedish frog" is what's being said in that section? And if so, why swedish frog? What is the significance of that?

Swedish Frog is what I'm hearing there.

I think the reason is because it was Al who was doing the "Frog" sounds, and Al is blonde, so, he was a "Swedish Frog" to a stoned Brian.

I think one of the reasons Al didn't have the nicest things to say about this session is because he was laughed at when he already felt somewhat subconscious/humiliated for having to make said animal sounds to begin with.

All IMHO, of course  Smiley

I honestly never could understand Al's negative feelings on this issue. It's one thing to be asked to strip down to the waist and run down the street yelling obscenities, but in this case they could have placed a bit of trust in Brian and went along with what he wanted to try and not complain. Even his more hip friends...they balked in some ways but they delivered something Brian liked enough to bring to "The Boys" when they got back from Europe. It's all about letting go and trying it - I don't know what he was expecting, but why is this one specific incident so vividly wrong for Al even decades later?

Brian and his "wild ideas" and weird sounds earned them a number one record and a few new cars, toys, house payments, etc. If he asked for barnyard sounds, I'd do it with a smile. My gratitude for my nice house, hip clothes, and not having to work a real job. Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #6454 on: September 10, 2011, 07:48:07 PM »

I've always wondered--is it ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that "swedish frog" is what's being said in that section? And if so, why swedish frog? What is the significance of that?

I think the reason is because it was Al who was doing the "Frog" sounds, and Al is blonde, so, he was a "Swedish Frog" to a stoned Brian.

I think one of the reasons Al didn't have the nicest things to say about this session is because he was laughed at when he already felt somewhat subconscious/humiliated for having to make said animal sounds to begin with.

I honestly never could understand Al's negative feelings on this issue. It's one thing to be asked to strip down to the waist and run down the street yelling obscenities, but in this case they could have placed a bit of trust in Brian and went along with what he wanted to try and not complain. Even his more hip friends...they balked in some ways but they delivered something Brian liked enough to bring to "The Boys" when they got back from Europe. It's all about letting go and trying it - I don't know what he was expecting, but why is this one specific incident so vividly wrong for Al even decades later?

Brian and his "wild ideas" and weird sounds earned them a number one record and a few new cars, toys, house payments, etc. If he asked for barnyard sounds, I'd do it with a smile. My gratitude for my nice house, hip clothes, and not having to work a real job. Smiley

Chances are, they were all stoned except for Al (and maybe Bruce).  And being sober around a bunch of stoned folks is really not much fun...  This is probably around the same time Brian was trying to talk Al into taking acid, and lose his ego, etc etc.  I can understand why he might go along with it like a good employee, but not like it much.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6455 on: September 10, 2011, 07:57:38 PM »

Bruce stayed home from Hawaii because of drugs, but Al didn't. Maybe he got hip.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6456 on: September 10, 2011, 08:05:56 PM »

Guitarfool, you can always be counted on for well thought out and intelligent posts. Thank you for that!  Smiley

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6457 on: September 10, 2011, 08:41:25 PM »

This thread has been read close to 196,000 times.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6458 on: September 11, 2011, 10:58:55 AM »

Would it be possible to start a "Part 2" to this thread?  When the box is released this thread will reach 2,000 pages plus!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6459 on: September 11, 2011, 01:10:02 PM »

I'm thinking that another thread called like "The Box Set is Out!" will be full of people talking about the box and this one will be forgotten. unless people hold onto this one for nostalgic purposes. this thread is already way too post-modern, too self-aware.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #6460 on: September 11, 2011, 01:36:19 PM »

So what's this about a take of Surf's Up from Wild Honey era?

I haven't seen any tracks on the tracklisting that describes a recording from then.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6461 on: September 11, 2011, 01:51:39 PM »

I haven't seen any tracks on the tracklisting that describes a recording from then.

Disc One, track 26 -- Surf’s Up 1967 (Solo version) (4:09)

It's been confirmed as a Wild Honey-era recording.

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6462 on: September 11, 2011, 01:53:34 PM »

I'm thinking that another thread called like "The Box Set is Out!" will be full of people talking about the box and this one will be forgotten. unless people hold onto this one for nostalgic purposes. this thread is already way too post-modern, too self-aware.

I would humbly suggest that as soon as the first real reviews by people who have actually HEARD the box emerge, a new thread called "SMiLE Sessions Reviews an Discussion" be started to separate the "waiting" phase from the "listening" phase.

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #6463 on: September 11, 2011, 02:28:34 PM »

any other info about it?
I know what you're thinking, scroll up on the thread, well, there's just a few pages to look over  Roll Eyes

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6464 on: September 11, 2011, 02:31:13 PM »

Chances are, they were all stoned except for Al (and maybe Bruce).  And being sober around a bunch of stoned folks is really not much fun...  This is probably around the same time Brian was trying to talk Al into taking acid, and lose his ego, etc etc.  I can understand why he might go along with it like a good employee, but not like it much.

Didn't Al say that was the case?  That they were all stoned except for him?  I thought that was in the interview where he says that "Do You Like Worms" isn't "Worms," from the GV box set.
Jason
« Reply #6465 on: September 11, 2011, 02:35:27 PM »

any other info about it?
I know what you're thinking, scroll up on the thread, well, there's just a few pages to look over  Roll Eyes

Get reading. Smiley
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6466 on: September 11, 2011, 02:39:52 PM »

i'm just sorta curious if it was just a private thing brian did alone.  or if someone was in the booth for him.  weird there's never been a mention of surf's up wild honey
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6467 on: September 11, 2011, 02:41:56 PM »

i'm just sorta curious if it was just a private thing brian did alone.  or if someone was in the booth for him.  weird there's never been a mention of surf's up wild honey

Maybe it was unearthed during research for the box.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6468 on: September 11, 2011, 03:40:30 PM »

Maybe it was unearthed during research for the box.  Smiley

yah, i meant if there was anyone else around.  I guess if there was just someone in the booth, nobody would make light of it anyway.  It wasn't a "session" since it wasn't listed anywhere.  just really cool that it exists regardless.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #6469 on: September 11, 2011, 04:17:53 PM »

apparently it was done on the uniquely-tuned piano featured on Wild Honey, and the arrangement and possibly the chord progression differs from the Surf's Up we all know and love.

might be the best thing on the whole box.  Shocked
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #6470 on: September 11, 2011, 06:20:52 PM »

Chances are, they were all stoned except for Al (and maybe Bruce).  And being sober around a bunch of stoned folks is really not much fun...  This is probably around the same time Brian was trying to talk Al into taking acid, and lose his ego, etc etc.  I can understand why he might go along with it like a good employee, but not like it much.

Didn't Al say that was the case?  That they were all stoned except for him?  I thought that was in the interview where he says that "Do You Like Worms" isn't "Worms," from the GV box set.

I thought so but only now dug out the Goldmine interview by Ken Sharp (July 28, 2000) to confirm:

"I liked everything except crawling around on the floors snorting like pigs.  The swine section.  I hated that.  Everyone was high but me.  I was the only one who didn't take drugs.  I was the square, so Brian made us crawl around on the floor and snort like a bunch of pigs on a section of "Heroes."  You hear a bunch of snorting and swining... It was like being trapped in an insane asylum.  I was emotionally depressed by a lot of that stuff because to watch people go through that and you have to kind of make like you're part of that but you're not, you're sober... But somehow we got through it.  Nobody overdosed and everybody made it through it."

I don't see the reference to DYLW in this particular interview, the same one in which he talks about his disappointment with the released H&V, which had "closure" but no "sonic energy."  A great, informative interview with a key player.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6471 on: September 11, 2011, 06:32:07 PM »

Chances are, they were all stoned except for Al (and maybe Bruce).  And being sober around a bunch of stoned folks is really not much fun...  This is probably around the same time Brian was trying to talk Al into taking acid, and lose his ego, etc etc.  I can understand why he might go along with it like a good employee, but not like it much.

I thought so but only now dug out the Goldmine interview by Ken Sharp (July 28, 2000) to confirm:

"I liked everything except crawling around on the floors snorting like pigs.  The swine section.  I hated that.  Everyone was high but me.  I was the only one who didn't take drugs.  I was the square, so Brian made us crawl around on the floor and snort like a bunch of pigs on a section of "Heroes."  You hear a bunch of snorting and swining... It was like being trapped in an insane asylum.  I was emotionally depressed by a lot of that stuff because to watch people go through that and you have to kind of make like you're part of that but you're not, you're sober... But somehow we got through it.  Nobody overdosed and everybody made it through it."

I don't see the reference to DYLW in this particular interview, the same one in which he talks about his disappointment with the released H&V, which had "closure" but no "sonic energy."  A great, informative interview with a key player.

Just to put into context with what I posted before, so there are no misunderstandings on what I'm saying:
"I honestly never could understand Al's negative feelings on this issue. It's one thing to be asked to strip down to the waist and run down the street yelling obscenities, but in this case they could have placed a bit of trust in Brian and went along with what he wanted to try and not complain. Even his more hip friends...they balked in some ways but they delivered something Brian liked enough to bring to "The Boys" when they got back from Europe. It's all about letting go and trying it - I don't know what he was expecting, but why is this one specific incident so vividly wrong for Al even decades later?

Brian and his "wild ideas" and weird sounds earned them a number one record and a few new cars, toys, house payments, etc. If he asked for barnyard sounds, I'd do it with a smile. My gratitude for my nice house, hip clothes, and not having to work a real job."

I've read that interview from Al before - overall it is a great interview, with a few historical inaccuracies but a fun interview nonetheless. I read his words and thoughts tonight as it was re-posted in a different light.

I've been in that situation that Al describes before, and yes it is uncomfortable and not very fun to be with a group of friends, some as close as brothers, and not be connecting with them on any level due to intoxication of whatever kind we cite as an example.

I can relate to what he says.

However, Al was along for the ride during Smiley Smile when they were *all* bombed on potent hash (according to legend, or is that a myth to bust as well perhaps?), and would record at various times inside a running shower, an empty pool staring up at the sky, or laying on the floor of Brian's living room, again according to legend. And they released an album that is about as unorthodox and as bizarre as any disc cut in 1967. So several months earlier, Al was repulsed by the scene but in June and July 1967 he had a change of heart and went along with it? Maybe I'm understanding it differently, but if it bothered him in January '67 what made him change his mind 5 months later?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6472 on: September 11, 2011, 06:58:21 PM »

However, Al was along for the ride during Smiley Smile when they were *all* bombed on potent hash (according to legend, or is that a myth to bust as well perhaps?), and would record at various times inside a running shower, an empty pool staring up at the sky, or laying on the floor of Brian's living room, again according to legend. And they released an album that is about as unorthodox and as bizarre as any disc cut in 1967. So several months earlier, Al was repulsed by the scene but in June and July 1967 he had a change of heart and went along with it? Maybe I'm understanding it differently, but if it bothered him in January '67 what made him change his mind 5 months later?

Excellent point, you read my mind.  It does seem a bit strange to go from feeling that uncomfortable in a weird recording session with your druggie bandmates to joining them within months and being a part of equally strange sessions for such a bizarre album.  Perhaps the peer pressure finally got to him and he figured if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. 
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6473 on: September 11, 2011, 08:08:43 PM »

I would read a book on the recording of Smiley Smile

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6474 on: September 11, 2011, 08:28:34 PM »

I recall reading somewhere that Brian never liked his vocal on the Surf's Up demo. Maybe the 1967 version was just to have something down with a vocal he liked better.

I do shudder to think that it was done on the Smiley/Wild Honey piano. Isn't that thing detuned to a certain degree? I don't think that would sound right for that tune, personally.

Or: the version that's on the Oppenheimer film--when is that from? What are all the solo Surf's Up dates anyway?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 256 257 258 [259] 260 261 262 263 264 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx