gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680894 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 04, 2024, 10:49:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: albums u spin on hallucinogens  (Read 11719 times)
sugarandspice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2006, 08:46:29 PM »

yo,
i was wondering...what albums u dig while trippin?  trippiest beach boys song?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 08:58:52 PM »

You mean driving right?
Well, then Little Deuce Coupe is definitely a "trippy" album. All the songs are about taking trips in cars.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Chance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 09:06:40 PM »

Amusement Parks USA, man, that's a trip and a half. I was like, sooo low on gas. I don't think I ever got so low before. It's scary being that low.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 09:09:10 PM »

VERY nice, Chance. I nearly fell on the floor reading that.

sugarandspice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 09:16:53 PM »

bleh...well, i tried to make a decent thread...
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 09:20:14 PM »

No man, it's fine! We're just hazing you!

I gave a friend of mine SMiLEY SMilLE, and apparently he had a horribly bad acid trip and he told me that he was deciding what method of suicide he was going to use, and that he put on the SMiLEY tape and within 10 minutes he had totally dropped the idea of death, he felt so good. True story!

So SMiLEY would have to be my choice, although the best drug experience I've had with a BB album was, strangely enough, Surfer Girl. I, like, BECAME the ocean, dude. For reals.

sugarandspice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 09:30:38 PM »

surfer girl is fahkin out there...those harmonies...and brians falsetto at the end. smiley smile is interesting...ive unfortunately never heard any of smile on psychs...my girl has to listen to the beach boys everyday...i talk about the beach boys so much i can't believe she still stays around....i really dig i can hear the heart beating as one
btw ian, thanks fer the conversation last night man....sarcastic bastid
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 09:32:03 PM »

No problem, man!
Where are you from and how did you get into the Beach Boys?

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 09:34:05 PM »

"Acid shattered my mind...."

I hope you guys aren't doing LSD -- seriously -- I saw a lot of cats who did not make it back from that trip.  I suspect it may have played a serious role in Brian's demise.  Didn't do me too much good!

That said -- "Electric Lady Land" was the one I remember digging a lot when I was shattering my mind.  And Timothy Leary had this very strange LP called "You Can Be Anyone This Time Around" ("You can be Martin Luther King, this time around!  You can be John and Yoko, this time around!  You can be the Grateful Dead, this time around!")  The real mindblower was a track called "What Do You Turn On When You Turn On"  Very messed up.

Of course, 40 minute two LP side jams by Canned Heat or Quicksilver Messenger Service sounded kinda cool when your brain molecule count is diminishing....
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 09:36:19 PM by Aum Bop Diddit » Logged

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 09:40:17 PM »

Yeah, I've quit except for the VERY occasional Ecstacy ride. But I don't really recommend it.

sugarandspice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 09:45:15 PM »

well...im from indiana originally...i move around a lot...i just moved to miami from seattle...bad decision but oh well.  my dad had a beach boys tape that i wore out when i was young, just singing the crap outta that stuff.  my dad didnt know nothing about pet sounds or smile tho...neither did i until i was about 17 i think, and my friend who was really turning me on to a lot of music made me come out to his car and listen to the beach boys...he put in the vigotone bootleg of smile, do you like worms? and i was blown away.  i was into the beatles floyd nuggets...but that bootleg is really what got me into the beach boys.  and then i got pet sounds

electric ladyland is good stuff...i like to stare at the cover
timothy leary blows
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 09:50:58 PM »

Excellent! Sounds like you have really great taste in music, man. I love the whole psych-60's-garage thang very much too. Have you heard the 13th Floor Elevators, Love, The Seeds, Chocolate Watch Band?

I totally agree on Timothy Leary. One of the phoniest egotistical charlatans to ever walk the planet.

sugarandspice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 09:58:12 PM »

what about u ian?...and if i'm breaking the thread rules im sorry, i tend to get really off topic sometimes.  i've never written on a message board before.
but yeah, where u from ian?  and well, share anything u want...
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh,
my girls favorite band is the 13th floor elevators..well one of em...we got a nice copy of easter everywhere on vinyl, and a copy of psychedelic sounds...but its remixed in stereo, but its RED, so its cool anyways.  forever changes is great, not something i put on very often but very groovy.  seeds rule...don't know much about the chocolate watch band, but did they not do the soundtrack on beyond the valley of the dolls, or did they do psych out?  strawberry alarm clock
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2006, 10:16:28 PM »

Watchband all the way! I suspect Love is great when you're all psyched out. My drugged out mailman loved early Pink Floyd. Elevators & Seeds would be 2 other interesting suggestions... but you're already there!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2006, 10:28:08 PM »

what about u ian?...and if i'm breaking the thread rules im sorry, i tend to get really off topic sometimes.  i've never written on a message board before.
but yeah, where u from ian?  and well, share anything u want...
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh,
my girls favorite band is the 13th floor elevators..well one of em...we got a nice copy of easter everywhere on vinyl, and a copy of psychedelic sounds...but its remixed in stereo, but its RED, so its cool anyways.  forever changes is great, not something i put on very often but very groovy.  seeds rule...don't know much about the chocolate watch band, but did they not do the soundtrack on beyond the valley of the dolls, or did they do psych out?  strawberry alarm clock

I am from Los Angeles, been here since I was 2, played music since I was 8, been in tons of bands, written a lot about music for various publications. Had a pretty crazy existence, I guess. Have a great girlfriend, we currently live in Reseda, Ca.

Sounds like your g/f has great taste in music! It's great to have music in common with your partner, it's a pretty rare thing. Yes, the Alarm Clock did the BVD and Psych Out soundtracks. The Watch Band had some great albums, a few songs on the Nuggets box-"Let's Talk ABout Girls", "Are You Gonna Be There". They also made one of the trippiest psych albums, The Inner Mystique.

Do you really like the Syd Barrett period of the Floyd?

sugarandspice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2006, 10:37:40 PM »

Magical Mystery Tour,  Safe As Milk,  Lovless, I can Hear the Heart Beating as one.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2006, 10:50:38 PM »

Loveless and Safe As Milk are great, great albums.
One of the best shows I have ever seen was My Bloody Valentine in 1991. brain-bleedingly loud!

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2006, 11:54:16 PM »

Do you really like the Syd Barrett period of the Floyd?
Moi? or mygfisinme?
I haven't heard that much- like some of what I've heard, tho. I think I posted a great story last spring on the old, old board, about my mailman and his LSD experience at a Floyd show. Yes? No? It's a great story! If no- LET ME KNOW- I'll post here- perfect place!
dogbreath
Smiley Smile Associate

"Foda deal with it!"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2006, 04:44:54 AM »

Unless I'm having an acid flashback, we've done this before, haven't we?

These worked for me at the time:

Pink Floyd: Mostly the stereo Interstellar, but also Echoes and Saucerful

Quicksilver: Who Do You Love suite

Terry Riley: Rainbow in Curved Air

Mahavishnu Orchestra: Inner Mounting Flame (esp. Noonward Race)

Can: Tago Mago

... but I'd hang a big DO NOT GO THERE sign on anything by Zappa and Hendrix ...

(I got into the stuff everyone knows as psychedelic - the Elevators, etc - after I got into Nuggets - which was after I'd stopped eating acid.)

EDIT: Most spectacular live music experienced on acid: Pink Floyd at the Lanchester Festival, around '71 (?), when they did a Quadraphonic Echoes. That one still buzzes round my head occasionally!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 04:50:55 AM by dogbreath » Logged

AUTOCLAVING TURNS THIS LINE BROWN
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2006, 06:44:55 AM »

Been a long time.  Interesting question.  It really depended on the quality of the substance, circumstances, my frame of mind, being alone or with friends and so on.

Some memorable lysergic sounds....

to accentuate and stimulate

Firesign Theater
Jefferson Airplane Baxters through Bark
Early FZ albums
Jethro Tull Benefit
George Harrison Electronic Sounds
Pink Floyd Umma Guma
Blows Against the Empire*

to chill and calm the jittery passages

Moody Blues...In Search of the Lost Chord, Threshold of a Dream, Childrens Children
Fleetwood Mac Future Games
Pink Floyd Atom Heart Mother
CSN
Blows Against the Empire*

*good both coming and going

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2006, 08:46:19 AM »

The Music Machine/Bonniwell Music Machine. Original Sound & Warner Bros LP's. The later available thru Sundazed.
I'm sure those sounds might be a bit intense depending on the mood you're in. Definitely not for a mellow mood. Highly playful, however. Wonder what these sounds might be like under the influence?
High, HIGH praise for Sean Bonniwell !!
Jason
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2006, 10:52:05 AM »

All these psychedelic groups mentioned and no one mentioned Silver Apples or Os Mutantes? Man ohhhhhh man.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2006, 01:06:51 PM »

Never heard 'em.

Jason
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2006, 01:09:51 PM »

Looks like I need to send you some stuff, Ian.
Toby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2006, 03:05:48 PM »

Never heard 'em.

And you call yourself a music fanatic, tsk tsk.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx