gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681063 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 19, 2024, 07:37:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sign the petition to include Blondie and Ricky in the 2012 Reunion!  (Read 37310 times)
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2011, 03:32:36 PM »

Using that logic, Al shouldn't be in the reunion either.

If we're only talking about songwriting, then yes — but Al's voice was far more crucial and prominent than Bruce's, Blondie's, or Ricky's.

Let's face it: in BBoyworld, the recordings made during the early to mid-1960s is what matters.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2011, 04:15:15 PM »

Using that logic, Al shouldn't be in the reunion either.

If we're only talking about songwriting, then yes — but Al's voice was far more crucial and prominent than Bruce's, Blondie's, or Ricky's.

Let's face it: in BBoyworld, the recordings made during the early to mid-1960s is what matters.

Sure, commercially that's true. Artistically, many of us fans love the Brother Record years and consider those albums to be among the group's finest, and we would live to see it represented in the setlists. Judging by the increased popularity of these albums over the past decade and the reunion logo being what it is, we may yet see that period represented in the reunion.

- B00ts
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2011, 04:23:43 PM »

I don't mean to disrespect those guys, but I think their role would not be more than tangential in a reunion like this. They're great musicians, an important part of an obscure but musically satisfying period, and full-time members for a while (that, I still don't get).

But this is about Hawthorne, CA 1961 and taking it from there. This is not about feeding minutia-hungry hardcore fans. Those guys don't fit within the vibe that is presented in the promo vid, and they had no significant relationship to the band for, what? 30 years? When Carl passed, it was David on stage playing the late Wilson's licks. Not Blondie. David fits. Bruce does. Blondie and Ricky would only as a one-time gentle nod to History. Nothing more. I'm sure they're greatful to have their share of immortality thanks to the BBs, but they know they ARE NOT beach boys. I imagine they must be very nice guys, and it'd be alright to have them join the band onstage for something, but I won't sign.

Really? I have a few albums I'd like to show you. By your reasoning, Bruce isn't a Beach Boy either?

I think the real truth may lie in the fact that they are black. And not in a racist way from those that are excluding them. But from the fact that many in the public would be like "what the f*ck?" when seeing a seven man Beach Boys including two black guys. People would be confused. Because even though Carl and Dennis are gone, the public will see 5 white guys up there on stage, and they'll think "hey, The Beach Boys". Blondie and Ricky might make them confused.

I'm actually coming to that conclusion myself, all this talk of them not "fitting" and whatnot. It's ridiculous. And that comment about them knowing they're not Beach Boys? Well from what I read on another thread Blondie is a bit miffed that he hasn't been asked. David Mark's has every right to be up on that stage with the guys and i'm ecstatic that he is but by the same token so should Ricky and and Blondie.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2011, 07:39:33 PM »

I fall more in line with Dr. Lenny here, but I still signed.  Aside from "Sail on Sailor," I've never been a fan of their contributions to the band (although to be fair, aside from a few Dennis compositions I'm not a fan of that era in general).  Even so, they are a part of the Beach Boys story, being official members and all, and deserve to be recognized.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2011, 08:33:21 PM »

I fall more in line with Dr. Lenny here, but I still signed.  Aside from "Sail on Sailor," I've never been a fan of their contributions to the band (although to be fair, aside from a few Dennis compositions I'm not a fan of that era in general).  Even so, they are a part of the Beach Boys story, being official members and all, and deserve to be recognized.

You should give another listen to Here She Comes.  Cool Guy Great song.

No mas, por favor.
Paulos
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2011, 08:34:49 PM »

Has anyone linked the petition on any of the other Beach Boys boards - bloo, SDV2, BB Britain etc?
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2011, 08:57:24 PM »

I don't mean to disrespect those guys, but I think their role would not be more than tangential in a reunion like this. They're great musicians, an important part of an obscure but musically satisfying period, and full-time members for a while (that, I still don't get).

But this is about Hawthorne, CA 1961 and taking it from there. This is not about feeding minutia-hungry hardcore fans. Those guys don't fit within the vibe that is presented in the promo vid, and they had no significant relationship to the band for, what? 30 years? When Carl passed, it was David on stage playing the late Wilson's licks. Not Blondie. David fits. Bruce does. Blondie and Ricky would only as a one-time gentle nod to History. Nothing more. I'm sure they're greatful to have their share of immortality thanks to the BBs, but they know they ARE NOT beach boys. I imagine they must be very nice guys, and it'd be alright to have them join the band onstage for something, but I won't sign.

Really? I have a few albums I'd like to show you. By your reasoning, Bruce isn't a Beach Boy either?

I think the real truth may lie in the fact that they are black. And not in a racist way from those that are excluding them. But from the fact that many in the public would be like "what the f*ck?" when seeing a seven man Beach Boys including two black guys. People would be confused. Because even though Carl and Dennis are gone, the public will see 5 white guys up there on stage, and they'll think "hey, The Beach Boys". Blondie and Ricky might make them confused.

I'm actually coming to that conclusion myself, all this talk of them not "fitting" and whatnot. It's ridiculous. And that comment about them knowing they're not Beach Boys? Well from what I read on another thread Blondie is a bit miffed that he hasn't been asked. David Mark's has every right to be up on that stage with the guys and i'm ecstatic that he is but by the same token so should Ricky and and Blondie.
Yeah, it is weird. I wonder if there is some racism in the mix there somewhere. I'm not accusing anyone here of consciously being racist, but I have to wonder why people refuse to sign the petition. It is such a simple thing, and fans who say "we should just be happy they are reuniting" are missing the point entirely.

I never expected so many people to be against the idea of including Blondie and Ricky, or to be against the idea of showing our support for these two, who, once again, are the only full members of the band who are still alive and not included in the reunion in any form.

Of course, we don't want them to just shoehorn Blondie and Ricky into the proceedings, but some particiption from them would make this reunion that much better. BRI can decide if it's worth it financially and otherwise, but why not make our support for these 'lost beach boys' known?

Petitions might not work, but they take a second of your time to sign, much less time than it takes to write a post detailing your reasons for not signing the petition. Essentially, there can be no ill effects from this petition. If things fall apart, it is not because some fans want Blondie and Ricky to be given their due. I never expected so many people to emphatically refuse to sign the petition.

I suppose that's human nature, though, and to ascribe it purely to racism is not fair. I think it is mainly that:

A) some people just don't consider Ricky and Blondie to be important, or important enough to advocate for
B) some people are just nay-sayers, or 'don't believe in petitions,' or don't think it will have any effect (a self fulfilling prophecy if there ever was one)
C) who the hell knows

The important thing, though, is that many of us love and respect Blondie and Ricky's tenure with the band, and have already signed the damn thing.

I am the one who made the petition and I haven't posted it anywhere besides Smileysmile.net. If someone here has accounts on the other boards and would like to post the petition there, that would be awesome. Otherwise, I can make accounts at those message boards and do it - it is probably better coming from someone who is known around those parts, though. I stay away from the bleuboard.

- B00ts
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2011, 09:59:57 PM »

I posted it on my facebook page and also on the Beach Boys facebook page and maybe one or two other places. I suggest everyone who's for this who has a facebook at least post it there.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2011, 08:43:02 AM »

David Mark's has every right to be up on that stage with the guys and i'm ecstatic that he is but by the same token so should Ricky and and Blondie.

The comparisons of David Marks to Ricky/Blondie don't work in my mind; this is the 50th anniversary of what? The birth of the BBoys. 50 YEARS ago, David Marks was a legit, undisputed, 100% member of the band who signed the historic contract with Capitol. He was 1/5th of the group — and he played guitar on songs that are a vital part of the batch of tunes that have made everything since possible.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2011, 09:33:48 AM »

David Mark's has every right to be up on that stage with the guys and i'm ecstatic that he is but by the same token so should Ricky and and Blondie.

The comparisons of David Marks to Ricky/Blondie don't work in my mind; this is the 50th anniversary of what? The birth of the BBoys. 50 YEARS ago, David Marks was a legit, undisputed, 100% member of the band who signed the historic contract with Capitol. He was 1/5th of the group — and he played guitar on songs that are a vital part of the batch of tunes that have made everything since possible.
How are Ricky and Blondie not legit? In the gatefold of Carl and the Passions- "So Tough", on the back covers of Holland and In Concert. Composed and sang on all three albums. If I recall dates and math correctly, the years 1972, 1973 and 1974 are within the 50 years time frame that the Reunion embodies.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 09:37:32 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2011, 09:41:59 AM »

Using this logic, Bruce shouldn't be in the reunion, and Al's inclusion is also questionable.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
SBonilla
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2011, 09:49:01 AM »

I think the real truth may lie in the fact that they are black.[/quote]

Blondie, partly.  But, Ricky?  No.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2011, 10:41:28 AM »

How are Ricky and Blondie not legit? ... the years 1972, 1973 and 1974 are within the 50 years time frame that the Reunion embodies.

I didn't say they weren't legit — but 50 years ago they weren't involved. An anniversary is... an anniversary! 1972 + 50 = the year 2022.

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2011, 10:43:41 AM »

Using this logic, Bruce shouldn't be in the reunion, and Al's inclusion is also questionable.

I can hear Bruce on "California Girls," and "God Only Knows," at least + other PS/SMILE tracks. Al's inclusion is not questionable — he sang/played on that same batch of vital material during the golden era.

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2011, 10:46:04 AM »

Blondie, partly.  But, Ricky?  No.

Let's not get distracted by the race-thing — it wouldn't matter to me if they were purple or plaid.  Afro

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2011, 10:49:51 AM »

I can hear Bruce on "California Girls," and "God Only Knows," at least + other PS/SMILE tracks. Al's inclusion is not questionable — he sang/played on that same batch of vital material during the golden era.
First you said David is included because he was there at the start of the 50 years. Now you're streching your own criterion three years past that to include Bruce.

Why not go just a few years more and include the other two surviving members, Ricky and Blondie? I'm sure Carl would want them to get some recognition during this anniversary.

- B00ts
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2011, 11:00:10 AM »

First you said David is included because he was there at the start of the 50 years. Now you're streching your own criterion three years past that to include Bruce.

I'm not contradicting myself; it's the 50th anniversary of the band who made the tunes that have made everything since possible.

I'm sure Carl would want them to get some recognition during this anniversary.

Carl's ghost & I have that in common — like I said, if they perform at some live dates, I'd love it — but they shouldn't be part of every 50th anniversary thing.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 11:01:14 AM by PongHit » Logged

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2011, 11:38:06 AM »

I'm not contradicting myself; it's the 50th anniversary of the band who made the tunes that have made everything since possible.

I'm sure Carl would want them to get some recognition during this anniversary.

Carl's ghost & I have that in common — like I said, if they perform at some live dates, I'd love it — but they shouldn't be part of every 50th anniversary thing.
Your criteria for David, Al, and Bruce to be included and Blondie and Ricky not to be included is arbitrary. The closest thing I can figure is that it has to do with the band's commercial success in these periods.

Nobody is saying Blondie and Ricky should be a part of every 50th annversary thing. I have stated this numerous times here and elsewhere.

- B00ts
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2011, 11:53:30 AM »

Your criteria for David, Al, and Bruce to be included and Blondie and Ricky not to be included is arbitrary.

It's not arbitrary — it's specific, and should be easy to grasp — it's fairly obvious to most people...

The closest thing I can figure is that it has to do with the band's commercial success in these periods.

That's part of it — but a cynical way to phrase it though.

Nobody is saying Blondie and Ricky should be a part of every 50th annversary thing.

Word. Then we are in agreement then. OK!

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2011, 12:44:11 PM »

How are Ricky and Blondie not legit? ... the years 1972, 1973 and 1974 are within the 50 years time frame that the Reunion embodies.

I didn't say they weren't legit — but 50 years ago they weren't involved. An anniversary is... an anniversary! 1972 + 50 = the year 2022.
It's a 50 Year Anniversary Reunion. All the years that make up that 50 get included, you know. It's not a celebration of the first year 50 years later. It's a celebration of all 50 years.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 12:45:23 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2011, 02:19:05 PM »

It's a 50 Year Anniversary Reunion. All the years that make up that 50 get included, you know. It's not a celebration of the first year 50 years later. It's a celebration of all 50 years.

Now hold on there partner.

police I'm thinking about starting a petition that John Stamos be banned from all shows.  police

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2011, 03:27:09 PM »

It's a celebration of all 50 years.

If that were the case, we wouldn't need an internet petition for Blondie/Ricky.

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2011, 03:29:59 PM »

All the years that make up that 50 get included

Excellent news, thanks — can't wait for the FAT BOYS/"Wipe-Out" segment of the concert.

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2011, 04:28:18 PM »

Just give up -  as much as I love Ponghit, there's no logic or clear reasoning at work here. The best thing we can do is to promote the petition in as many Beach Boys forums and websites as possible.

- B00ts
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2011, 04:51:51 PM »

All the years that make up that 50 get included

Excellent news, thanks — can't wait for the FAT BOYS/"Wipe-Out" segment of the concert.
Yeah and Kokomo too. Considering Wipe-Out was all Brian on background vocals, yeah, why not.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 04:57:24 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,