gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680910 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 05:22:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sign the petition to include Blondie and Ricky in the 2012 Reunion!  (Read 37262 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2011, 04:54:27 PM »

How are Ricky and Blondie not legit? ... the years 1972, 1973 and 1974 are within the 50 years time frame that the Reunion embodies.

I didn't say they weren't legit — but 50 years ago they weren't involved. An anniversary is... an anniversary! 1972 + 50 = the year 2022.
It's a 50 Year Anniversary Reunion. All the years that make up that 50 get included, you know. It's not a celebration of the first year 50 years later. It's a celebration of all 50 years.
Just give up -  as much as I love Ponghit, there's no logic or clear reasoning at work here. The best thing we can do is to promote the petition in as many Beach Boys forums and websites as possible.
Indeed, when intentionally being a hard head, not much more to say, is there? Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2011, 04:59:59 PM »

Look, they are Beach Boys. They should both get their chance to strap on guitars and belt out something. I can't believe some of us are saying they don't deserve to be there.

The Fat Boys comparison is spurious - they were never 'The Beach Boys ft. Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Fataar', were they? If you say, 'ner, let's get them onstage and do Wipe-out, it'd be just as valid as Blondie and Ricky!', well, get Little Richard and Status Quo onstage too.....
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 05:00:56 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2011, 05:12:04 PM »

Look, they are Beach Boys. They should both get their chance to strap on guitars and belt out something. I can't believe some of us are saying they don't deserve to be there.

The Fat Boys comparison is spurious - they were never 'The Beach Boys ft. Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Fataar', were they? If you say, 'ner, let's get them onstage and do Wipe-out, it'd be just as valid as Blondie and Ricky!', well, get Little Richard and Status Quo onstage too.....
Some people like to deal in absolutes because they think it helps their flimsy arguments... c'est la vie.

- B00ts
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2011, 07:31:28 PM »

(1) It was a joke — like the joke SurfRiderHawaii had just made about Stamos.
(2) I was not referring to Blondie/Ricky at all; I was talking about the notion that 'all 50 years are represented' in the show.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »

as much as I love Ponghit, there's no logic or clear reasoning at work here.

I guess Capital Records, the band, and everyone planning the 50th have no logic nor clear reasoning either. They need our input.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2011, 07:38:25 PM »

Considering Wipe-Out was all Brian on background vocals, yeah, why not.

Pleaze tell me you're joking. If you're not, theres on logic nor clear reasoning at work here.

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2011, 07:51:44 PM »

(1) It was a joke — like the joke SurfRiderHawaii had just made about Stamos.
(2) I was not referring to Blondie/Ricky at all; I was talking about the notion that 'all 50 years are represented' in the show.

Hey, that was no joke.  No Stamos.

(well, the 'No Stamos' petition part was)   LOL

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2011, 07:54:32 PM »

Considering Wipe-Out was all Brian on background vocals, yeah, why not.

Pleaze tell me you're joking. If you're not, theres on logic nor clear reasoning at work here.
Now why would you think I am joking? Brian is very proud of his solo work on that record. It is part of his, and subsequently, the Beach Boys recorded history. It was always a part of their live show from it's time of release until at least 1997, with Billy doing the rap. Or are we doing a revisionist Brian/Beach Boys recording history? Personally, no, I would not like it included in the set list, but if it was, no big deal.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2011, 08:40:13 PM »

Hey, that was no joke.  No Stamos.
(well, the 'No Stamos' petition part was)   LOL

High-5. Sense of humor here is appreciated (by me).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 08:46:50 PM by PongHit » Logged

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2011, 08:52:05 PM »

It was always a part of their live show from it's time of release until at least 1997, with Billy doing the rap.

A trivial correction:

"October 19, 1995 … 'Wipeout' had also been dropped; Billy Hinsche may have left the band by then."

Source: http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/10-19-95.html

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2011, 09:18:17 PM »

isn't Blondie basically a Rolling Stone these days?

he might not even be available... or affordable for that matter
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2011, 04:16:09 AM »

Yes, true, but that doesn't mean that he still coudn't be invited.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2011, 09:34:01 AM »

(1) It was a joke — like the joke SurfRiderHawaii had just made about Stamos.

That's cool, broheim - did not realise your joke in nicotine-deprived rage  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2011, 01:08:50 PM »

That's cool, broheim - did not realise your joke in nicotine-deprived rage  LOL

It's been 20 years since I quite smoking, but I remember that rage clearly!

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2011, 12:56:10 AM »

I'm again puzzled as to why anyone sincerely opposes people who were legit members of the band, not just touring members, being in on this. The Fat Boys comparison was ridiculous.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2011, 06:51:58 AM »

I'm again puzzled as to why anyone sincerely opposes people who were legit members of the band, not just touring members, being in on this. The Fat Boys comparison was ridiculous.

Blondie/Ricky "being in on it" to some extent would be great. And as I already explained, my Fat Boys comment was a joke, like the Stamos one the immediately preceded it.

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2011, 06:42:40 PM »

Blondie/Ricky "being in on it" to some extent would be great. And as I already explained, my Fat Boys comment was a joke, like the Stamos one the immediately preceded it.
If you think it would be great, then why not sign the petition? Afraid to 'boss around' the Beach Boys?  police

- B00ts
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2011, 09:20:53 PM »

If you think it would be great, then why not sign the petition?

Are you asking me? What makes you think I haven't signed already?

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2011, 10:57:51 PM »

Yes, true, but that doesn't mean that he still coudn't be invited.

Did the Rolling Stone thing happen since May? When that video of him playing Sail On Sailor with Ron Jeremy in a high school auditorium was posted?

We already know he's interested in being a part of the reunion based on the comment by Mr. Ed Roach. I'm sure there will be at least one appearance by him, not sure about Fataar, anybody know what he's doing nowadays?

Doubt they will be there the whole tour, possibility slightly increased if fans make enough noise and show enough interest in a Blondie Chaplin/Ricky Fataar reunion with the Beach Boys. Chances are it's only fanatics on message boards who give a damn. Unfortunately for us.

And for those against it because "omg they weren't in the band 50 years ago," this is arguably the last time the surviving members of the Beach Boys will play together and the last chance for those two to play with them.

Either way, I'm sure we're all going to be there and we're all going to have a great time. 2012 !!!  Rock!

No mas, por favor.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2011, 11:33:50 PM »

Ah, gotcha Smiley

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2011, 10:01:54 PM »

First you said David is included because he was there at the start of the 50 years. Now you're streching your own criterion three years past that to include Bruce.

I'm not contradicting myself; it's the 50th anniversary of the band who made the tunes that have made everything since possible.

I'm sure Carl would want them to get some recognition during this anniversary.

Carl's ghost & I have that in common — like I said, if they perform at some live dates, I'd love it — but they shouldn't be part of every 50th anniversary thing.

You know what though? Why shouldn't they be part of everything? Can somebody show me David's parts on Pet Sounds and SMiLE? Or his songwriting on Sunflower? Oh yeah, that's right! He's not on the fuckin' albums, and wasn't in the band during those times. Yet there he is, playing guitar on the new version of "Do It Again", a song which he had f***-all to do with back in 1968! Now don't get me wrong, I think David is great, and I'm very happy for him that he's part of the reunion, and I really think artistically he will make the new album more interesting.  But I think it's just fine that if they do a TV special and they are performing "California Girls" or "Wouldn't It Be Nice" that he be on stage. Same with Brucie, he wasn't on anything until Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) but I think it's ok that he is on stage for "Little Deuce Coupe" and "Surfin' Safari" clapping his hands and wearing his dorky little shorts!

My point being, I think it'd be pretty sweet seeing Ricky Fataar playing drums on ALL of these songs since, uh, well, he probably has played nearly EVERY SINGLE SONG that The Beach Boys will be playing on this tour with the band while he was with them, which is more than you can say for David for the post-Surfer Girl material. And he is on record playing those songs with them. I direct you to In Concert if you aren't aware. Same thing with Blondie. Not to mention that if they play "Sail On Sailor", which I would think they should since it's one of their best songs of the '70s, they could have the original lead vocalist sing it. And they would have a guy that could play bass or guitar, and therefore could be really versatile in the band, also adding a great voice to the blend.

Just my 2˘
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2011, 03:17:48 PM »

Completely agree with everything sweetdudejim says.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 25, 2011, 04:27:05 AM »

I would love to see Ricky & Blondie, even if it means there would be like 6 guitar players on stage.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 25, 2011, 10:43:01 AM »

Greatest live show I ever saw was the BBs with Blondie and Ricky...count me in!  They should at least be addressed and invited.

BTW -- no Human Beat Box, no Fat Boys.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: December 25, 2011, 04:18:59 PM »

no Human Beat Box, no Fat Boys.

LOL

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx