gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680913 Posts in 27620 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 12:39:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian on future Beach Boys plans, no more reunions!  (Read 38971 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2013, 07:55:14 AM »

If the Hoffman board can do it, maybe we should start writing press releases for Mike and see if we can engineer another reunion tour...
I would like them to play my university. Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2013, 09:55:22 AM »

Mike has responded, according to a post over on the Steve Hoffman board:
[snip] you can rest assured that the version of The Beach Boys most familiar to millions plan to continue to bring our hit spectacle to cities across the world this year ...

That's impossible -- that version of the Beach Boys ("most familiar to millions") hasn't existed since 1997.... and the closest they've been since is the 50th tour.

The PR flack gets it wrong -- again.

All just my opinion, of course.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 09:56:19 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2013, 11:20:51 AM »

Mike has responded, according to a post over on the Steve Hoffman board:
[snip] you can rest assured that the version of The Beach Boys most familiar to millions plan to continue to bring our hit spectacle to cities across the world this year ...

That's impossible -- that version of the Beach Boys ("most familiar to millions") hasn't existed since 1997.... and the closest they've been since is the 50th tour.

The PR flack gets it wrong -- again.

All just my opinion, of course.

The whole Mike Love statement over on the Hoffman Board is a complete fabrication by the poster, kwadguy.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2013, 04:00:06 PM »

If the Hoffman board can do it, maybe we should start writing press releases for Mike and see if we can engineer another reunion tour...
I would like them to play my university. Grin
One of the best Beach Boys concerts that I saw was at the University of Missouri in Columbia, Spring 1972. The concert started at 4pm on a Saturday. What an experience it was.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2013, 04:17:19 PM »

Perspective, please. When Brian denied reports of a reunion, he was full of it. Who knows what's actually going on right now? The job of BW's press agent is to make him look good, so you won't hear anything different from her.

What we have right now are a small handful of facts and a mountain of speculation. The facts suggest no tour of the full band this year. The facts likewise suggest that any further full-band shows (2014 and beyond) are uncertain at best, unlikely at worst.

Another group album would be great. But Mike's statements in the past make his participation seemingly contingent on a greater role in writing songs with Brian, which I doubt will happen. So again, probably unlikely.

Let's also look at Brian's record of writing new material. He did a reasonable amount of new work on TWGMTR, but at least a third (or more) of the album's material dated from the late 90s (title track, Spring Vacation, Strange World, Summer's Gone). His last creative surge was the TLOS writing sessions in 2006. With that in mind, anything he's working on now is likely to be older / recycled songs.

My main concern in all of this was that Brian would be seriously depressed or bummed out by Mike forging ahead with his own thing. But BW is stronger than that now, and it seems like he wants to keep doing things his way (as does Mike). That friction is what makes their partnership as songwriters work (or at least work in the 60s) and made the C50 shows riveting. But at a certain age, friction doesn't really hold much appeal. You want to do what you love without hassle. Everyone seems to want to do that now, and I'm gradually accepting that that's okay. New album or not, more reunion dates or not, whatever.

They did great. Hopefully Brian has another 15 years or so of interesting studio work left in him, and can play with his band as much as he likes. Hopefully Mike keeps challenging himself with diverse setlists. Hopefully Al can latch onto someone and not piss them off. And hopefully Dave keeps rocking.

Amen.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2013, 04:33:31 PM »

15 years would be A LOT......  Shocked Hard to imagine. But curious things continue to happen on Pleasure Island.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2013, 04:42:54 PM »

We've seen the pics of Brian at a mic, but has there been any word about who is recording backing tracks for these songs?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2013, 04:57:47 PM »

We've seen the pics of Brian at a mic, but has there been any word about who is recording backing tracks for these songs?
Nope. There was a similar pic of Foskett late last year on Brian's Facebook page, but he's a given anyway. It always says "Brian recording vocals" or "Brian laying down tracks". Could be anything.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2013, 05:10:48 PM »

I don't think 15 years is crazy at all.

-- Tony Bennett, 86 years old and still performing and recording
-- BB King (in arguably worse physical shape than BW), 87 years old and still performing and recording. (His tour schedule: http://www.bbking.com/events/)
-- Les Paul, died at 94, performing and recording up to his death.
-- Leonard Cohen, 77  years old, still touring and recording.

Audree Wilson lived until age 80. Aside from his weight and back problems, Brian surely has great medical care. So I'd say it's a reasonable expectation.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2013, 05:13:13 PM »

Nope. There was a similar pic of Foskett late last year on Brian's Facebook page, but he's a given anyway. It always says "Brian recording vocals" or "Brian laying down tracks". Could be anything.

Hmm. Since the stream of pics is becoming more frequent, hopefully we'll get some answers soon.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SgtTimBob
Smiley Smile Associate

Music Maker Extrodonaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2013, 06:17:49 PM »

I'm just really excited about the fact that he's writing and recording something, it really hammers home the fact that writing songs is something he just can't give up. Like an itch he has to just keep scratching.

Whatever it is I'm sure it'll be fantastic.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2013, 06:43:00 PM »

I've enjoyed pretty much every song Brian has recorded solo or with The Beach Boys since TLOS.

Brian's been knocking them out of the park recently. Great vocals.

I'm really excited to hear what he's got in store for us.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2013, 06:45:33 PM »

BTW, Brian is recording at Ocean Way

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2013, 07:24:58 PM »

Love You 2.

SgtTimBob
Smiley Smile Associate

Music Maker Extrodonaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2013, 07:26:02 PM »

Love You 2.

That would be fine with me :D

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2013, 07:34:08 PM »

Pardon my ignorance: Did Brian record at Ocean Way at any time before TWGMTR?

If not, could this be a clue as to who is producing/overseeing these new sessions (ie, Joe Thomas perhaps)?

coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2013, 08:07:03 PM »

Still think Ocean Way would be a great title for a future Beach Boys/Brian solo release.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2013, 08:16:11 PM »

Wasn't GIOMH and BWPS recorded there?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2013, 08:30:12 PM »

Only if they do a synth cover of the Harrison song from Revolver.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2013, 10:11:12 PM »

Love You 2.

Crazy as it sounds, Brian did say he wanted to re-record some of the Love You songs. As crazy as that idea sounds, I think it might just work. Hearing those songs done with better vocals might be interesting.

Not that I think this is what he is working on though.

My guess is either working on some brand new solo material, or putting together the next Beach Boys album.
MBE
« Reply #120 on: February 13, 2013, 10:36:21 PM »

Honestly I never take anything any of them say in public seriously until something actually happens. All blurt out things that are reneged on later, especally Brian. That's just how he felt that moment. If they have some good songs I would like to see another album. Tour I am fine either way, but tend to agree that the everyday Beach Boys gig wasn't right for the full band. If they do ever go out again it has to be done with as much class as the 2012 tour.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 14, 2013, 04:00:51 AM »

Perspective, please. When Brian denied reports of a reunion, he was full of it. Who knows what's actually going on right now? The job of BW's press agent is to make him look good, so you won't hear anything different from her.

What we have right now are a small handful of facts and a mountain of speculation. The facts suggest no tour of the full band this year. The facts likewise suggest that any further full-band shows (2014 and beyond) are uncertain at best, unlikely at worst.

Another group album would be great. But Mike's statements in the past make his participation seemingly contingent on a greater role in writing songs with Brian, which I doubt will happen. So again, probably unlikely.

Let's also look at Brian's record of writing new material. He did a reasonable amount of new work on TWGMTR, but at least a third (or more) of the album's material dated from the late 90s (title track, Spring Vacation, Strange World, Summer's Gone). His last creative surge was the TLOS writing sessions in 2006. With that in mind, anything he's working on now is likely to be older / recycled songs.

My main concern in all of this was that Brian would be seriously depressed or bummed out by Mike forging ahead with his own thing. But BW is stronger than that now, and it seems like he wants to keep doing things his way (as does Mike). That friction is what makes their partnership as songwriters work (or at least work in the 60s) and made the C50 shows riveting. But at a certain age, friction doesn't really hold much appeal. You want to do what you love without hassle. Everyone seems to want to do that now, and I'm gradually accepting that that's okay. New album or not, more reunion dates or not, whatever.

They did great. Hopefully Brian has another 15 years or so of interesting studio work left in him, and can play with his band as much as he likes. Hopefully Mike keeps challenging himself with diverse setlists. Hopefully Al can latch onto someone and not piss them off. And hopefully Dave keeps rocking.

Amen.

Amen, indeed. Thumbs Up
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 14, 2013, 06:40:58 AM »

Honestly I never take anything any of them say in public seriously until something actually happens. All blurt out things that are reneged on later, especally Brian. That's just how he felt that moment. If they have some good songs I would like to see another album. Tour I am fine either way, but tend to agree that the everyday Beach Boys gig wasn't right for the full band. If they do ever go out again it has to be done with as much class as the 2012 tour.

I agree 100%.

And I would also add that ANY MEDIA outlet reporting, printing or posting anything concerning Brian, Mike, the BB's and so on have no more insight to our guessing that goes on right here. So the rest of us should not take them seriously.

Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 14, 2013, 06:46:33 AM »

Brian just posted the Rolling Stone article on his Facebook.
Is he trying to get a fight started or what?

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 14, 2013, 06:55:58 AM »

Brian just posted the Rolling Stone article on his Facebook.
Is he trying to get a fight started or what?

It's all PR shenanigans, pay no mind. They must think their fans are really stupid.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx