gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680994 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 03:03:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lucky Old sun review thread!  (Read 45278 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 25, 2007, 09:23:12 AM »

I would still prefer to hear Van Dyke read the narrative on record. He has a wonderful reading voice.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 25, 2007, 10:11:14 AM »

Something that I don't think has been mentioned is that not only is Brian's singing voice much improved, his voice on the narrations is very clear with no slurring. I know they were pre-recorded, but it shows that he can do it.

I agree.  It was nice to hear Brian speaking so clearly again.  Even though his voice is a bit lower in timbre now, his actual speaking was just as clean as is was on the "Smog" speech.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: September 25, 2007, 10:40:33 AM »

I think him having his teeth fixed may have helped.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 25, 2007, 11:04:27 AM »

Do I hear a turn in the melody of "Midnight's another day" that sounds like a brief portion of the song "Brian Wilson"?

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: September 25, 2007, 12:08:39 PM »

So, I'm not the only one then! Yeah part of it sounds like the "if you wanna find me I'll be out in my sandbox"part of Brian Wilson.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
eden
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 25, 2007, 02:49:10 PM »

Just thought I'd highlight this vid...BW's in great form. I think maybe he enjoys singing 'covers' more than his own stuff, 'Then I Kissed Her' on the first night blew me away at the time.

Johnny B Goode from Edinburgh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGvvTHzCZ9A

As Biz Markie said..."damn it feels good to see people up on it!"

Hope more of this vid turns up, so far it's just the 'hits' section at the end.

I really love this band and what they've brought to BW and his music. Back in 1988 (when I first 'discovered' BW) I never thought I'd see him where he is today. This band and the enthusiasm of BW's current audiences make the gigs so full of energy and love, and TLOS is by far the best new music from the man in a LONG time. I hope it keeps going in this direction!

XY
« Reply #181 on: September 26, 2007, 01:35:13 AM »

I'm certainly not disappointed with Morning Beat, I think it gets things off to a flying start and if/when it is recorded for release this track will hook in listeners who aren't Brian fans.

I agree. It grew on me with repeated listenings. The "...hear the voices softly coming..." part is just beautiful. And the rockin' parts have that 70's BW vibe, sound a bit like something the BB would have done between "Carl & the Passions" & "Love You".

BTW, my favorite Brian song announcement is "Here's a song I don't like at all" for "Sail On, Sailor". Cheesy
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: September 26, 2007, 01:42:59 AM »

BTW, my favorite Brian song announcement is "Here's a song I don't like at all" for "Sail On, Sailor". Cheesy

He shouldn't play it then!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: September 26, 2007, 02:30:42 AM »

Just thought I'd highlight this vid...BW's in great form. I think maybe he enjoys singing 'covers' more than his own stuff, 'Then I Kissed Her' on the first night blew me away at the time.

Johnny B Goode from Edinburgh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGvvTHzCZ9A

As Biz Markie said..."damn it feels good to see people up on it!"

Hope more of this vid turns up, so far it's just the 'hits' section at the end.

I really love this band and what they've brought to BW and his music. Back in 1988 (when I first 'discovered' BW) I never thought I'd see him where he is today. This band and the enthusiasm of BW's current audiences make the gigs so full of energy and love, and TLOS is by far the best new music from the man in a LONG time. I hope it keeps going in this direction!

He does a great job on "Johnny b. goode" and even gets most of the lyrics right. Let's not forget that these lyrics aren't as simple as "Barbara Ann" for example.
I think it's cool that Jeff plays the guitar behind his head, as James Burton did exactly the same thing on the same song when he was Elvis' guitarist in the 70s, only that he did it throughout the whole performance of JBG
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 02:33:13 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 26, 2007, 05:44:46 AM »

But he still sang it brilliantly at Birmingham, word and note perfect and with some feeling and personal touches - his 'Damn the thunder' especially effective.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: September 26, 2007, 06:06:15 AM »

He shouldn't play it then!

this is the one song i think he should not play. he seems to miss almost every note in it. just not suited to singing it

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 26, 2007, 07:09:26 AM »

Isn't "Sail On Sailor" on Classics: Selections By Brian Wilson? Emphasis on BY BRIAN WILSON....
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 26, 2007, 09:50:26 AM »

Isn't "Sail On Sailor" on Classics: Selections By Brian Wilson? Emphasis on BY BRIAN WILSON....

Good point...I suppose its just another example of Brian's fleeting mind.  Consistency hasn't exactly been his strong suit.

Or maybe he just didn't feel like doing it that particular night and it came out as "I don't like this song".  Who knows?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 26, 2007, 09:58:06 AM »

Re: SOS. It's weird, because the band really digs into the song, which is why they do it, I think. But Brian has never exactly been up to it vocally.

On the other hand, he tends to kick ass with Marcella -- and wrote a whole new section of it just for live performance.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: September 26, 2007, 10:48:27 AM »

On the other hand, he tends to kick ass with Marcella -- and wrote a whole new section of it just for live performance.

If you mean Taylor's little intro, he didn't write that - it's the original intro.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 26, 2007, 11:27:32 AM »

Original as in the BB version on so tough or original demo?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
woolpitch
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 26, 2007, 12:35:03 PM »

Another one for the 'sounds a bit like...' discussion: the section before the chorus in good kind of love (she keeps it in a jar but not too far etc) is almost identical in melody and chords to the verse of brian's back (we once took a cab out of salt lake city now)

But the trick is you shouldn't laugh...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: September 26, 2007, 12:51:33 PM »

Original as in the BB version on so tough or original demo?

Duh ! I meant the original intro to "I'm So Young"... which is what it is. Sorry, suffering from BW burnout.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 26, 2007, 01:03:45 PM »

Wow! I would have never spotted that. Good call, Andrew.

Anyhow, my point was that it was cool to see the song revamped a little bit with the new intro -- Brian playing keys, Taylor vocalizin'. And Brian seems to dig it.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 26, 2007, 09:05:04 PM »

Brian's said many times that he doesn't like Sail on Sailor's lyrics... I don't know why, I think they're pretty decent.  It started out with him saying back in the day that they were a little weird.  Now it's progressed to him saying "I don't like this song at all" LOL  I think he's just hating it more and more as time goes by.  The piano is just killer in that, I suppose that's probably Brian playing it on the original, didn't he produce the track, kind of?
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 27, 2007, 12:39:37 AM »

No doubt he played on the famous Van Dyke Parks write-a-middle-eight tape, but I expect Captain Keyboards played it on 'Holland'. Anyway, he sang it really well in Birmingham  (sorry, I already said that).
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 27, 2007, 11:23:02 AM »

He supposedly "co-produced" it over the phone.
Brian might dislike Sail On Sailor's lyrics because of the simple fact that too many people had a hand in altering them. It's quite obvious from what he says about it in the Warmth of the Sun podcast. That said, in terms of lyrics I like the Holland version A LOT more than the KGB version, which reportedly contains the original set of words as penned by Ray Kennedy.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 11:28:58 AM by phirnis » Logged
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 28, 2007, 12:45:55 PM »

Just found this on the web...not sure where it comes from but it really struck a chord with me

"Is That Lucky Old Sun any good? I truly have no idea. It's too complex a piece, and too multi-layered, and the performance of it too bound up in personal expectations, for any kind of judgement to be made on one hearing. But in a sense, the question doesn't matter. That Lucky Old Sun is exciting - in a way that no-one could have expected. This is the work of a 65-year-old man. 65 year old men don't make exciting music. Paul McCartney's new album might be quite pleasant, but he knows no-one's going to remember him as 'the man who made Memory Almost Full', and it shows. Brian Wilson appears not to have given up hope that he'll be remembered as 'the man who made That Lucky Old Sun', and it's just about possible that he might."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/blog/post/PLNK3L6WS0XVPA5IV

PS I've been listening to the rather quickly assembled studio recording of "Forever She'll be my Surfer Girl" on BW's official site...and I am astonished at the vocals Brian can now do in the studio. If he really is enthusiastic about TLOS and sits down to record it properly...the sky is the limit...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 28, 2007, 12:53:24 PM »

And what's funny is -- at least according to what was said at the performances -- Darian put the whole shebang together. One wonders how much Brian really thought of it as a cohesive whole -- but it still works. The songs are that strong.
pendletone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 28, 2007, 01:03:14 PM »

Another one for the 'sounds a bit like...' discussion: the section before the chorus in good kind of love (she keeps it in a jar but not too far etc) is almost identical in melody and chords to the verse of brian's back (we once took a cab out of salt lake city now)

Oh I'm so glad that I finally found somebody who thinks the same about this (short) vocal line! The first time I heard this section I was sure I'd heard it before...
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx