gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 08:17:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike interview...  (Read 44286 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: August 07, 2014, 06:50:12 AM »

From Brian's LA Times letter on the kerfuffle:

"We hadn't even discussed as a band what we were going to do with all the offers that were coming in for more 50th shows.

Al and I just assumed based on everyone's enthusiasm we would at least want to take those offers into consideration since we all knew about them. I mean, who wouldn't want to play the Hollywood Bowl again, Madison Square Garden and Wrigley Field? And what better way to celebrate New Year's Eve than with the 50th band? That would have blown the lid off things."

Seriously, who wouldn't want to play the Hollywood Bowl again, Madison Square Garden, and Wrigley? You'd *make* those shows happen, I'd think, rather than list reasons why it couldn't happen.

Another case of "what could've been" from a band that has had more than its fair share of those situations. That's me speaking as a fan...Hollywood Bowl-Beach Boys??? No-brainer.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: August 07, 2014, 06:51:18 AM »

On the other hand, maybe there is a lot less to these "offers" then we imagine like not a concert but a  pre-game songs or two. Still good but...

Are they playing baseball at the Hollywood Bowl?  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: August 07, 2014, 07:00:03 AM »

Dammit, not again. LOL

If this helps, I also wouldn't be worried about booking a major Philly show in October where the Phils play for the next 3-5 years or so. And that hurts me to say that, it really does.  Smiley

NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 07, 2014, 07:28:22 AM »

Wasn't there a legendary baseball story from either Wrigley or San Francisco where a pitcher was getting ready to deliver a pitch, a big gust of wind stirred up and actually knocked him off balance, his foot came off the mound, he got called for a balk and a run scored from 3rd? That's windy.... Grin

I was at that game, the 1961 All-Star Game at Candlestick Park in San Francisco, home of my Giants for the past 57 seasons. It did happen as correctly noted here by guitarfool2002, no fool he, but kind of like the "Mike fired Brian" tale, the story has been somewhat embellished in baseball lore.  The pitcher was  Giant reliever Stu Miller. Yes, the wind was blowing.  It always blows there.  Cost Willie Mays 10 or 12 home runs a year. It blew so hard one fine summer day in 1984 that Carl Wilson complained he could not hear from his stage monitor. In the ninth inning, a gust caused Miller to stumble and a balk was caused when his foot came off the mound. As I recall, that advanced Maris and Kaline to 2nd and 3rd, with Kaline scoring on a ground ball by Rockey Colavito, which Ken Boyer mis-handled at third (I did not get rid of my Ken Boyer 6-finger Rawlings glove, though).  However, the resulting legend that Miller was actually "blown off the mound" like a hot dog wrapper is just a tad exaggerated. Makes a great story, but, no, Mike did not fire Brian. Miller actually got the win when Mays scored in the 9th off Clemente's single given up by Hoyt Wilhelm. Anyway, the weather aside, not much worry about baseball interfering with a Beach Boys concert at Wrigley in October.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: August 07, 2014, 07:39:07 AM »

I was at that game, the 1961 All-Star Game at Candlestick Park in San Francisco, home of my Giants for the past 57 seasons. It did happen as correctly noted here by guitarfool2002, no fool he, but kind of like the "Mike fired Brian" tale, the story has been somewhat embellished in baseball lore.  The pitcher was  Giant reliever Stu Miller. Yes, the wind was blowing.  It always blows there.  Cost Willie Mays 10 or 12 home runs a year. It blew so hard one fine summer day in 1984 that Carl Wilson complained he could not hear from his stage monitor. In the ninth inning, a gust caused Miller to stumble and a balk was caused when his foot came off the mound. As I recall, that advanced Maris and Kaline to 2nd and 3rd, with Kaline scoring on a ground ball by Rockey Colavito, which Ken Boyer mis-handled at third (I did not get rid of my Ken Boyer 6-finger Rawlings glove, though).  However, the resulting legend that Miller was actually "blown off the mound" like a hot dog wrapper is just a tad exaggerated. Makes a great story, but, no, Mike did not fire Brian. Miller actually got the win when Mays scored in the 9th off Clemente's single given up by Hoyt Wilhelm. Anyway, the weather aside, not much worry about baseball interfering with a Beach Boys concert at Wrigley in October.

This board is amazing! NHC...Wow, thanks for the confirmation and it's great to hear from a baseball fan who doesn't just know the story but was actually there! You made this baseball fan's day today, thanks for that post.

The stories do get embellished and altered a bit over time...just look at all the reports of Philadelphia fans booing everything from Santa Claus to the Easter Bunny. I can vouch for one of those. I can also vouch for being in a stadium half full of Phillies fans booing a group of frisbee-catching Whippet dogs who were putting on a demonstration in right field between innings at a Phils game.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:42:36 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 07, 2014, 07:52:08 AM »

"We hadn't even discussed as a band what we were going to do with all the offers that were coming in for more 50th shows.

Al and I just assumed based on everyone's enthusiasm we would at least want to take those offers into consideration since we all knew about them. I mean, who wouldn't want to play the Hollywood Bowl again, Madison Square Garden and Wrigley Field? And what better way to celebrate New Year's Eve than with the 50th band? That would have blown the lid off things."

Seriously, who wouldn't want to play the Hollywood Bowl again, Madison Square Garden, and Wrigley? You'd *make* those shows happen, I'd think, rather than list reasons why it couldn't happen.

Another case of "what could've been" from a band that has had more than its fair share of those situations. That's me speaking as a fan...Hollywood Bowl-Beach Boys??? No-brainer.

This is the point where the Mike and Bruce show lost my support. Up until this, I accepted that Mike's touring band were the official Beach Boys and they didn't include Brian or Al because of inter-band issues and Brian's solo career. I went to their concerts, and enjoyed them well enough, even though I knew what was missing. Mike's shows were good, but the C50 was something incredible.  In spite of Mike's touring the oldies circuit, the C50 proved that, when this group came together to play this incredible music  they actually WERE music legends who could command respect and admiration. As Mike kept saying on the C50 tour, they were bigger than the sum of their parts.  It's too bad he didn't really buy into it.  They could have stayed there and ended there. But they didn't.

Mike keeps going on about how they had a set end date for the original tour. But, when high prestige offers like these come along, a wise person would at least give them some consideration,  since they represent the opportunity to finish in style and with the honor the band deserves. But, instead, these wonderful opportunities were never even considered, because Mike needed to get back to Sea World and the State Fair.  In doing this, Mike demonstrated to me that he is short sighted. Yes, the music will always stand the test of time, and ultimately that is their true legacy. But, the performing band could have ended on a high note.  And, even if Mike wanted to go back to Sea World after participating in those options, to do these dates with the full group first and to end it well would have at least engendered some good will with the public and critics.  Instead, he now spends his interviews defending the choice by repeating his "end date" mantra (I think he does meditate on it!), and trying to convince everyone that Brian's a burned out, robotic vegetable so it couldn't be done.

This opportunity will never come again. As Joe Thomas said, it was a "missed opportunity for Brian and the guys to ride into the sunset together.”  So I consider that I saw the last Beach Boys tour in Cincinnati two years ago. Mike's band is now nothing more than a good cover band, to me.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:55:42 AM by Cyncie » Logged
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 07, 2014, 07:53:26 AM »

Sorry. Weird double post. So, how's the weather where you are?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:54:59 AM by Cyncie » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 07, 2014, 08:07:11 AM »

This is the point where the Mike and Bruce show lost my support. Up until this, I accepted that Mike's touring band were the official Beach Boys and they didn't include Brian or Al because of inter-band issues and Brian's solo career. I went to their concerts, and enjoyed them well enough, even though I knew what was missing. Mike's shows were good, but the C50 was something incredible.  In spite of Mike's touring the oldies circuit, the C50 proved that, when this group came together to play this incredible music  they actually WERE music legends who could command respect and admiration. As Mike kept saying on the C50 tour, they were bigger than the sum of their parts.  It's too bad he didn't really buy into it.  They could have stayed there and ended there. But they didn't.

Mike keeps going on about how they had a set end date for the original tour. But, when high prestige offers like these come along, a wise person would at least give them some consideration,  since they represent the opportunity to finish in style and with the honor the band deserves. But, instead, these wonderful opportunities were never even considered, because Mike needed to get back to Sea World and the State Fair.  In doing this, Mike demonstrated to me that he is short sighted. Yes, the music will always stand the test of time, and ultimately that is their true legacy. But, the performing band could have ended on a high note.  And, even if Mike wanted to go back to Sea World after participating in those options, to do these dates with the full group first and to end it well would have at least engendered some good will with the public and critics.  Instead, he now spends his interviews defending the choice by repeating his "end date" mantra (I think he does meditate on it!), and trying to convince everyone that Brian's a burned out, robotic vegetable so it couldn't be done.

This opportunity will never come again. As Joe Thomas said, it was a "missed opportunity for Brian and the guys to ride into the sunset together.”  So I consider that I saw the last Beach Boys tour in Cincinnati two years ago. Mike's band is now nothing more than a good cover band, to me.

Seeing the C50 at the sold out Hollywood Bowl in June 2012 was an absolutely amazing event. With an absolute lack of hyperbole, I can honestly say the highlight of my Beach Boys fandom, and nothing else  is even close.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 07, 2014, 08:40:51 AM »

Whatever happened to the follow-up question? Like this last interview, the statement is made that Brian is being "controlled"...then you ask a follow-up: "Who is controlling him?"...or "What exactly are they controlling?"...

And much like happened here a lot in the past months, someone makes that charge of Brian being controlled, or of Brian's people doing this or that...the simple question is asked: "Who are these people?"...and no one seems to know.

Everyone knows Brian is under control...yet the people controlling him cannot be ID'ed. But there are managers, agents, PR staff, travel staff...the same business structure a touring musician or artist has making certain decisions and handling business the artist doesn't do, including Mike.

Another follow up:

The statement is made that "Brian's people" or a variation thereof are somehow tearing Mike down.

Simple follow-up: "Who is doing this, and where is it being done?"

***Someone please find me an interview or a public statement of recent years where Brian has spoken negatively about Mike.***

And the ultimate follow-up: "Who are your people, Mike?"

This is getting so g******n tedious. I finally caved in and read this interview, as I was avoiding it, figuring it was more of the same that we keep getting.  But then I read this nugget ; that Brian is controlled; this time by being given prescribed medication . So apparently some of the better doctors on the planet are in on this shadow conspiracy And that Brian's people are tearing down Mike. I will paraphrase Guitarfool....show me the recent interview or statement from Brian saying anything negative about Mike .

I believe the Beach Boys C50 played 73 dates; I went to 20-25 of them ; I cant remember all of them; all US , except the final two shows in London. Melinda Wilson attended the first 3 , I am certain; she was at the Beacon in NY for two shows there , the Hollywood Bowl and the next night; then she attended the last two nights in London.  So she attended roughly a little over 10 per cent of the C50 shows; so the other 88% or so of the C50 tour , who was "controlling" Brian and keeping him from Mike ?  Can anybody identify the "controllers" ? There was all sorts of opportunity , every night of that tour for Mike and Brian to get together ; how about at catering , every night...as I said I was at 20-25 of the C50 shows; I was in catering at all of them....so was everyone else in the band and crew....not once did I see Mike and Brian sit together , or for either of them to initiate a dialogue with each other.  Their respective dressing rooms were usually adjacent; within 15-20 feet of each other......Melinda Wilson wasn't there , so she wasn't keeping them apart; Jeff Foskett sure as hell wasn't keeping them apart....There was certainly no animosity between them , and ample opportunity to have time together, but it didn't ever happen ; at least not that I saw when I was there. There was even one last opportunity at the end of C50 in London.  Brian and Melinda held a thank you dinner for all the band and crew at an Italian restaurant in Knightsbridge. There would have been one final opportunity for Brian and Mike to sit down  and talk things out over a bowl of pasta , but unfortunately Mike and Bruce had a prior commitment and couldn't attend.....no "controllers " kept them apart there either.

I don't know what the end game is here for Mike in all these interviews with the constant rehash of Brian's long ago excessive recreational drug use ;   is it the interviewer asking the "same old" questions or is it Mike wanting to rehash it ?

If I am in Brian Wilson's chair, I am fed up hearing about my past drug issues, especially as I have not touched a recreational drug in over 35 years;

I am fed up with hearing about how my dead brothers, whom I think about every day, made poor lifestyle choices (drugs, alcohol, cigarettes)which lead to their early deaths ;

I am fed up with hearing about how controlled I am ; first by non existent handlers , and now by medicine prescribed by ,arguably some of the best doctors in the world.  

Here is how controlled Brian is.

I had dinner last Wed night with Brian and Melinda up in Beverly Glen. I called Brian and it went something like this: Me : " Hi Brian , how are you ?  Brian: "doing ok , how about you ? " Me : "Great ; I am in town , do you want to have dinner tonight ?" Brian:" yeah , great. Where do you want to go ? " Me: " You pick "  Brian:" ok , meet me at my house at 5:30 ". The three of us went to dinner in Beverly Glen; nice time. Brian was in good spirits ; we talked about the new album and upcoming tour.  All was good. They played me the final mix of "Last Song"; all in all the same kind of evening I have had with him for the last almost 20 years.  

My point ?  I find it difficult ,if not impossible, to believe that it is easier for me to see Brian Wilson than it is for Mike Love to see him . Mike has the number; 9 times out of 10 , Brian will usually answer. It's just not that complicated.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 07, 2014, 08:50:36 AM »

Ray is my hero!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 07, 2014, 09:03:12 AM »

I was at that game, the 1961 All-Star Game at Candlestick Park in San Francisco, home of my Giants for the past 57 seasons.

This board is amazing! NHC...Wow, thanks for the confirmation and it's great to hear from a baseball fan who doesn't just know the story but was actually there! You made this baseball fan's day today, thanks for that post.

Glad to be of service.  Should point out for accuracy's sake, and we want to be nothing if not accurate here on the Smiley Smile board, that SF has been the Giant's home for 57 seasons, but not at Candlestick since 1999. My sister and I went to the last opening day there, she made the final game, and was also on one of the neighborhood committees working to get Pacific Bell Park built (all private money but needed zoning and tax approvals or something).  She was at several luncheon meetings that included guys like Mays, Marichal, McCovey, Cepeda, just your typical Hall of Famers, and got to be on the field opening day in April 2000 with another few hundred dignitaries and volunteers. We made our first Giants game in 1959 at Seals Stadium, where the Dimaggio Bros got their start, Cepeda wins it with a walk-off homer over the left field fence to lead off the 9th, over Cincinnati. Saw your Phillies in '75 or '76, I guess, when Dick Allen was back with them. Wonder if Brian could have made it to the pros if he had learned to hit a curve ball (which he once said was his downfall)?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 09:08:19 AM by NHC » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 07, 2014, 09:07:15 AM »

I was at that baseball game/concert at Candlestick in '84 (still have my dark blue BB hat) and remember it being a little breezy, but don't remember them not hearing the monitors. You have a much better memory than I do, Norm, for being an old guy!  Grin  Remember the game/concert where Reggie Jackson got up on stage with them to do Shut Down?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 09:12:29 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 07, 2014, 09:10:10 AM »

Whatever happened to the follow-up question? Like this last interview, the statement is made that Brian is being "controlled"...then you ask a follow-up: "Who is controlling him?"...or "What exactly are they controlling?"...

And much like happened here a lot in the past months, someone makes that charge of Brian being controlled, or of Brian's people doing this or that...the simple question is asked: "Who are these people?"...and no one seems to know.

Everyone knows Brian is under control...yet the people controlling him cannot be ID'ed. But there are managers, agents, PR staff, travel staff...the same business structure a touring musician or artist has making certain decisions and handling business the artist doesn't do, including Mike.

Another follow up:

The statement is made that "Brian's people" or a variation thereof are somehow tearing Mike down.

***Someone please find me an interview or a public statement of recent years where Brian has spoken negatively about Mike.***

This is getting so g******n tedious. I finally caved in and read this interview, as I was avoiding it, figuring it was more of the same that we keep getting.  But then I read this nugget ; that Brian is controlled; this time by being given prescribed medication . So apparently some of the better doctors on the planet are in on this shadow conspiracy And that Brian's people are tearing down Mike. I will paraphrase Guitarfool....show me the recent interview or statement from Brian saying anything negative about Mike .

I believe the Beach Boys C50 played 73 dates; I went to 20-25 of them ; I cant remember all of them; all US , except the final two shows in London. Melinda Wilson attended the first 3 , I am certain; she was at the Beacon in NY for two shows there , the Hollywood Bowl and the next night; then she attended the last two nights in London.  So she attended roughly a little over 10 per cent of the C50 shows; so the other 88% or so of the C50 tour , who was "controlling" Brian and keeping him from Mike ?  Can anybody identify the "controllers" ? There was all sorts of opportunity , every night of that tour for Mike and Brian to get together ; how about at catering , every night...as I said I was at 20-25 of the C50 shows; I was in catering at all of them....so was everyone else in the band and crew....not once did I see Mike and Brian sit together , or for either of them to initiate a dialogue with each other.  Their respective dressing rooms were usually adjacent; within 15-20 feet of each other......Melinda Wilson wasn't there , so she wasn't keeping them apart; Jeff Foskett sure as hell wasn't keeping them apart....There was certainly no animosity between them , and ample opportunity to have time together, but it didn't ever happen ; at least not that I saw when I was there. There was even one last opportunity at the end of C50 in London.  Brian and Melinda held a thank you dinner for all the band and crew at an Italian restaurant in Knightsbridge. There would have been one final opportunity for Brian and Mike to sit down  and talk things out over a bowl of pasta , but unfortunately Mike and Bruce had a prior commitment and couldn't attend.....no "controllers " kept them apart there either.

I don't know what the end game is here for Mike in all these interviews with the constant rehash of Brian's long ago excessive recreational drug use ;   is it the interviewer asking the "same old" questions or is it Mike wanting to rehash it ?

If I am in Brian Wilson's chair, I am fed up hearing about my past drug issues, especially as I have not touched a recreational drug in over 35 years;

I am fed up with hearing about how my dead brothers, whom I think about every day, made poor lifestyle choices (drugs, alcohol, cigarettes)which lead to their early deaths ;

I am fed up with hearing about how controlled I am ; first by non existent handlers , and now by medicine prescribed by ,arguably some of the best doctors in the world.  

Here is how controlled Brian is.

I had dinner last Wed night with Brian and Melinda up in Beverly Glen. I called Brian and it went something like this: Me : " Hi Brian , how are you ?  Brian: "doing ok , how about you ? " Me : "Great ; I am in town , do you want to have dinner tonight ?" Brian:" yeah , great. Where do you want to go ? " Me: " You pick "  Brian:" ok , meet me at my house at 5:30 ". The three of us went to dinner in Beverly Glen; nice time. Brian was in good spirits ; we talked about the new album and upcoming tour.  All was good. They played me the final mix of "Last Song"; all in all the same kind of evening I have had with him for the last almost 20 years.  

My point ?  I find it difficult ,if not impossible, to believe that it is easier for me to see Brian Wilson than it is for Mike Love to see him . Mike has the number; 9 times out of 10 , Brian will usually answer. It's just not that complicated.

Ray, thanks for bringing the truth here and setting the record straight and putting all the crap to rest with common sense.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 07, 2014, 09:20:15 AM »

Another follow up:

Thanks for your insight, Ray.

If M&B's "prior commitment" wasn't due to a cowardly ducking act to help Mike avoid having to actually possibly address/discuss their soon-to-be-returning-to-the-M&B-show act, I'll eat my shorts. Of course it was.  

What a damn shame.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 09:26:41 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Gohi
« Reply #214 on: August 07, 2014, 09:59:21 AM »

This changes everything.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 07, 2014, 10:22:32 AM »

I was at that baseball game/concert at Candlestick in '84 (still have my dark blue BB hat) and remember it being a little breezy, but don't remember them not hearing the monitors. You have a much better memory than I do, Norm, for being an old guy!  Grin  Remember the game/concert where Reggie Jackson got up on stage with them to do Shut Down?

I can remember Carl looking around quizzically during some of the windy moments and gesturing toward his monitor, shaking his head and waving his arm in the wind like he couldn't hear.  Maybe he just wanted to play "Let The Wind Blow". Missed the Jackson show - Oakland, I presume?  Haven't been to an A's ball game since '75. I liked those shows at the Stick - met Les Chan and a couple of other guys at the one in '82 (one of them was named Gerry?? Lived over in Concord or Walnut Creek?? I traded some photos and things with him). Old guy!  Honestly!  Roll Eyes
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 07, 2014, 11:02:52 AM »

(Speaking as a Philadelphia Phillies fan again) : I don't think they needed to worry at all about the Cubs playing much ball in October.  LOL

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Now the Phils are in the same boat.  Roll Eyes
Also as a diehard Phillies fan, they suck! As a matter of fact last night they won the "World Series of Suck", beating the Houston Astros in the first two games of a 3-game series. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
relx
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 07, 2014, 11:04:19 AM »

Ray, always interesting and informative to hear your POV.

In all the years you have known Brian, has he ever talked to you about his relationship with Mike? Have you ever had the impression that they spend any time together, or even speak on a regular or semi-regular basis? If Mike did what you did, and called Brian out of the blue and asked him out to dinner, what do you think Brian's reaction would be?
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 07, 2014, 11:18:47 AM »

Ray, always interesting and informative to hear your POV.

In all the years you have known Brian, has he ever talked to you about his relationship with Mike? Have you ever had the impression that they spend any time together, or even speak on a regular or semi-regular basis? If Mike did what you did, and called Brian out of the blue and asked him out to dinner, what do you think Brian's reaction would be?

Good questions.  He has really not talked about his relationship with Mike, but rather talks about what he considers to be Mike's best vocals.......If I recall it was "That's Not Me" that was probably his favorite.

I don't know what would happen if Mike called him up for dinner; if he feels like going he does, and if not , he doesn't.....but having said that; all the negativity in these interviews is probably not helping the situation....this is my opinion only , not based on talking to Brian about it, because I haven't
relx
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 07, 2014, 11:51:39 AM »

Thanks Ray. Mike commented in his interview that they hadn't spoken since the end of the C50 tour, which is almost two years now. And, based on your observations of the C50, it sounds like they didn't talk much, if at all, during the tour. I wonder if Mike (or Brian), even try to talk to one another any more? My completely uninformed impression is that their relationship has been dead for at least the last two decades or so, and probably had been deteriorating slowly since the mid-1960s. In many ways, the end of their songwriting relationship was probably the end of their social relationship as well.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 11:52:34 AM by relx » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: August 07, 2014, 11:53:13 AM »

Good questions.  He has really not talked about his relationship with Mike, but rather talks about what he considers to be Mike's best vocals.......If I recall it was "That's Not Me" that was probably his favorite.

Oh yes, that's a hell of a vocal! Love it!

Re: all the Mike stuff.

First I don't buy that Brian was so much controlled by anybody that Mike couldn't even talk to him. Didn't Mike himself mention that just him, Brian and Joe Thomas were at a restaurant prior to the tour (see the Rolling Stone article)?

Second, I sometimes get the feeling Mike doesn't really understand the psychological issues that Brian had and has. It seems like he always blames everything on the drugs (and certainly they didn't do no good) and with that logic he thinks that as soon as Brian stopped doing the drugs he must be just like Brian in '63/'64. But of course depression and those things work not that way. Brian has to take medication for not losing the control. I don't know what he takes but I don't think it makes him a zombie. But maybe to Mike it still is just, well... drugs.

Sometimes I get the feeling that Al also had to change his mind and did so when he first reunited with Brian in 2006/2007. There's a different tone to him when he talks about Brian since then imo.
But we have to understand that all of them are of a time when no one talked about psychological problems such as depression. There was no real treatment for it and I don't think it was taken that seriousy either. So that might be a reason why Mike thinks everything bad (and in his view it seems that means everything that differs to 1964-Brian) is of course of drugs; illegal or prescribed.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Nicko1234
« Reply #221 on: August 07, 2014, 11:59:06 AM »

This is the point where the Mike and Bruce show lost my support. Up until this, I accepted that Mike's touring band were the official Beach Boys and they didn't include Brian or Al because of inter-band issues and Brian's solo career. I went to their concerts, and enjoyed them well enough, even though I knew what was missing. Mike's shows were good, but the C50 was something incredible.  In spite of Mike's touring the oldies circuit, the C50 proved that, when this group came together to play this incredible music  they actually WERE music legends who could command respect and admiration. As Mike kept saying on the C50 tour, they were bigger than the sum of their parts.  It's too bad he didn't really buy into it.  They could have stayed there and ended there. But they didn't.

Mike keeps going on about how they had a set end date for the original tour. But, when high prestige offers like these come along, a wise person would at least give them some consideration,  since they represent the opportunity to finish in style and with the honor the band deserves. But, instead, these wonderful opportunities were never even considered, because Mike needed to get back to Sea World and the State Fair.  In doing this, Mike demonstrated to me that he is short sighted. Yes, the music will always stand the test of time, and ultimately that is their true legacy. But, the performing band could have ended on a high note.  And, even if Mike wanted to go back to Sea World after participating in those options, to do these dates with the full group first and to end it well would have at least engendered some good will with the public and critics.  Instead, he now spends his interviews defending the choice by repeating his "end date" mantra (I think he does meditate on it!), and trying to convince everyone that Brian's a burned out, robotic vegetable so it couldn't be done.

This opportunity will never come again. As Joe Thomas said, it was a "missed opportunity for Brian and the guys to ride into the sunset together.”  So I consider that I saw the last Beach Boys tour in Cincinnati two years ago. Mike's band is now nothing more than a good cover band, to me.

Obviously the C50 tour should have ended in a much better way than Mike`s statement but I think the fact that Brian has played 2 shows so far this year and M&B have played stacks indicates that `The Beach Boys` was never going to end with them all riding into the sunset together...

As fans, of course it would be great if the group could always do the `sensible` thing but unfortunately they are only human.

When listening to an interview with Andrew Sandoval about The Monkees recently it reminded me of The Beach Boys. When asked about the possibility of a live album he said that they have 3 shows recorded from a recent tour but to get the remaining members to be in the same place at the same time or to release anything, even an already recorded live album, is a very difficult endeavour. With The Beach Boys it is presumably at least as complicated as evidenced by the fact that Mike and Al couldn`t even agree to play 1 show together this year...
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 07, 2014, 02:08:38 PM »

Oh yes, that's a hell of a vocal! Love it!

Re: all the Mike stuff.

First I don't buy that Brian was so much controlled by anybody that Mike couldn't even talk to him. Didn't Mike himself mention that just him, Brian and Joe Thomas were at a restaurant prior to the tour (see the Rolling Stone article)?

Second, I sometimes get the feeling Mike doesn't really understand the psychological issues that Brian had and has. It seems like he always blames everything on the drugs (and certainly they didn't do no good) and with that logic he thinks that as soon as Brian stopped doing the drugs he must be just like Brian in '63/'64. But of course depression and those things work not that way. Brian has to take medication for not losing the control. I don't know what he takes but I don't think it makes him a zombie. But maybe to Mike it still is just, well... drugs.

Sometimes I get the feeling that Al also had to change his mind and did so when he first reunited with Brian in 2006/2007. There's a different tone to him when he talks about Brian since then imo.
But we have to understand that all of them are of a time when no one talked about psychological problems such as depression. There was no real treatment for it and I don't think it was taken that seriousy either. So that might be a reason why Mike thinks everything bad (and in his view it seems that means everything that differs to 1964-Brian) is of course of drugs; illegal or prescribed.

Very good thoughts.  In fairness to all of these guys , the come from a generation where mental illness was a stigma and was pushed under the rug; additionally they were all in their late teens and early twenties when much of this took place. In Brian's case it was undiagnosed, written off as eccentricity, them misdiagnosed by the psychotic Landy, (twice), then finally addressed appropriately with the right team of doctors.

My opinion , for what it's worth , is that, as you spend time around Brian, you get to understand the stuff he is up against , and how he manages it. Your comments about Al are really on the mark; I agree that since 2006/07 Al has come more to understand Brian, and they are a lot closer.  Brian's comment on Al....."he's a good kid"....

I don't know about Mike's understanding of Brian's psychological issues; in the beginning of the tour I know Mike was very cognizant of Brian's back issues, and assisted him when he was having difficulty walking , which I thought was extremely gracious.  Mental health is an entirely different issue; I don't know that Mike knows what Brian manages daily.  Based on some of his comments , I don't think that he does; as he has quoted , if I am not mistaken, Landy's "diagnosis" of paranoid schizophrenia , as Brian's major issue...wrong .......f.....g Landy
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 07, 2014, 02:15:52 PM »

Mike in the interview. "I find it very disappointing that this information is being perpetuated. It’s erroneous and fallacious, but I suppose that is part of human nature."

Perhaps the same should be said next time he brings up Brian being controlled.
Nicko1234
« Reply #224 on: August 07, 2014, 02:20:22 PM »

I don't know what would happen if Mike called him up for dinner; if he feels like going he does, and if not , he doesn't.....but having said that; all the negativity in these interviews is probably not helping the situation....this is my opinion only , not based on talking to Brian about it, because I haven't

Thanks for your always interesting comments Ray.

Can you comment on the current situation with VDP and Brian regarding VDP`s `release Brian!` tweet?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx