gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681041 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 17, 2024, 04:38:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mark Linett Billboard Interview About SMiLE  (Read 70218 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: March 15, 2011, 12:46:21 AM »

Here is what I believe, after decades of observation, deduction and thought:

Fire - Mrs. O'Leary's Cow (no sensible debate here)
Earth - proto-Fall Breaks
Air - proto-Country Air
Water - Da Da.

Here is what we know, after decades of observation, deduction and thought:

Earth - was possibly Vega-tables once, otherwise no-one knows
Air - no-one knows
Water - no-one knows.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 15, 2011, 01:47:43 AM »

not sure where it was stated that the Elements tied in with getting healthy but i know i didn't make it up.
on some level I think the 4 Elements represented being in balance with nature, and I think the entire album represented getting "back to the earth" and back to our roots.

If I'm In Great Shape is Earth than why not also Barnyard? They seem to have an equal connection to an Earth theme, because they both really don't.

I think Great Shape and Barnyard went hand in hand, like on the Humble Harv tape. He's singing about the farm, chopping wood, rolling around in the mud and merda with pigs and sheep. What's more earthy than that?

And even if Vega Tables is about psychedelics and marijuana, it's still about things that grow from the ground that are good for you.
let's not forget Cabin Essence was a play on the word Cannabis. or that it's about fields of grain, waves of wheat, a home on the range, etc.
Earth, baby!

still, I'd love if there was an entirely instrumental Elements Suite.

we may just have to settle for Diamond Head... it's got 'em all.

Water - no-one knows.

what about that chant that repeats the word "water" over and over?

and I've just added Country Air to one of my SMiLE mixes.  Grin
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 01:49:33 AM by bossaroo » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: March 15, 2011, 02:28:48 AM »

Water - no-one knows.

It's certainly persuasive... but is there any hard proof or documentation ?

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 15, 2011, 05:01:27 AM »

Fall breaks IS Fire. Same song. its not earth.

I'm not saying it's Earth, just that it sounds Earthy to me....but it is not Fire...(MOC)...It is Fall Breaks. However, could he not have used theme and variations for the Elements?

Brian said he wanted to record a candle instead of a fire. That's what Fall Breaks is, a candle compared to a fire. I don't think Brian conceived of Fall Breaks as Earth. There's no evidence of that, and considering that it reuses the music from Fire, I don't think it has any relation whatsoever to Earth.
It just doesn't make sense to connect the two.

Regarding The Elements.
What knowledge do we actually have of this track? Well there's the handwritten note with "The Elements" listed. But that's been shown again and again to have not been written by Brian. Right?
Then there's the session tapes of Fire that start with "The Elements, Part 1: Fire". So that suggests there were to be more parts.
Finally there is an interview with Brian where he is asked what "Air" was. Brian responds that it was an unfinished piano instrumental, something which has never been heard by anyone (unless Mark has discovered it while preparing this release). I've never heard any further context for this oft-quoted answer, but I simply don't think this quote is any sort of definite proof. This is just my opinion, based on how unreliable Brian's interview answers have been, especially when concerning SMiLE. He could have very well been telling the truth, but based on everything I've learned about Brian and about SMiLE, I have a serious doubt.

But beyond these three things, what else is there? Is there anything else we know about the track? On what grounds do we fans believe there were to be "Earth" and "Air" sections? On what grounds do we believe that the different "parts" of this song would have all been lumped together as a single track?

What's interesting to me is that Fire is titled not "The Elements Part One: Fire" but "Mrs. O'Leary's Fire" or "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow". The fact that this was to be the title places it along with Heroes and Villains and Cabinessence as songs about history and americana. What exists of Water does not have any connection like that, the Water material is simply "Water" and it does not even bear the same stamp as "The Elements, Part X" that Fire does. Certainly based on the handwritten tracklist (which we know was not written by Brian), we are tempted to conceive of a single elemental song. But based on the Goodbye Surfing article we know Brian planned to give Fire a separate title distinct from "The Elements", which suggests that there would NOT have been a single track named "The Elements".

Lets look at the general character of SMiLE. The central song of the whole project, Heroes and Villains, presents a duality. A conflict or battle between two opposing forces, the Heroes and the Villains. Cowboys and Indians, Cops and Robbers, The Hip and the UnHip. This was representative of the idea of Ying and Yang, which is undoubtedly in the realm of the new age spirituality influences of SMiLE. Do You Dig Worms? is not about Earth! It's about this duality of history! The line "Rock, Rock, Roll, Plymouth Rock Roll Over" says all you need to know about this song. Firstly there's the pun, "Rock, Rock, Roll" which has a double meaning saying both Plymouth Rock is being overturned, but it's also an invocation of Rock Music as a medium for social change. The power of Rock and Roll is in this case allowing us to clear the cobwebs of history! And what's underneath Plymouth Rock? The same thing as any rock! Worms!! These are the worms in the apple of history! The truth behind our built up historical illusions. The song is not about Earth at all, but rather about changing how we view "Heroes and Villains" in our own history, "Do You Dig Worms?" is asking us to take on a new perspective where the cowboys and the cops are Villains instead of Heroes, it's a reversal of things, a new way of conceptualizing our own pasts!

SMiLE having two opposing elements, Fire and Water would make sense then! How do Earth and Air fit into the duality scheme? I don't think they do. And I don't think there is any evidence that there was ever a Earth or Air section planned. SMiLE is all about duality, the contest of opposing forces.

What I think happened was Brian was basically talking a lot about doing Elemental instrumentals. Doing different tracks about Elements or whatever. Carl probably wrote the handwritten note off from memory after having hung around Brian during the sessions that he attended. he didn't really know how things would fit together so he just lumped them all into one thing, "The Elements". But on my own personal SMiLE mix I would put Fire on Side A along with Heroes and Villains. And I'd put water (Diamond Head I think is very close to what Brian originally envisioned for the Water track) on Side B.

But please, feel free to disagree and tell me all about it.

I'd also like to add my thought that Vega-Tables is not at all about Earth either. The Vegetables in the song are drugs. On the early version of Vegetables there are different lyrics. "Tripped on a cornucopia". There is no way that line is not about drugs. We're talking about 1966 here, this is a psychedelic album, and Van Dykes lyrics are so infused with puns that it's impossible to ignore this lines connection to LSD trips. Vega-Tables is not a song about Earth, it's a song about spiritual and physical well being as a gateway to personal growth and enlightenment. The vegetables are not only the type of health food Brian was interested in (He did own a Health Food store after all, didn't he?) but also about the use of drugs as a source of personal actualization. Brian likely removed this early lyric for the same reason he did "Hang on to your ego", he thought it was too blatant and second guessed himself.
The recurrent belief that Vega-Tables is about Earth confounds me. It's based on nothing other than the idea, "vegetables grow from the ground". I really don't buy that Vega-Tables was ever earth.

I'm really enjoying this discussion about the meaning of the lyrics in smile. I've never been much cop at deciphering lyrics so great to read these inisghts especially about duality, the worms on the other side of the rock and all that. With Smile I am bowled over by the beauty of Brian's music but I'm lazy when it comes to the lyrics. Amazing to think there's so much meaning buried in there.

As far as Elements goes, who knows. I think as another poster points out, fluidity is key and with Smile everything was in a constant state of flux, so if there was a plan for 4 different Elements at one point that may well have shifted into 1 song about Fire and one about water.

Personally I put a lot of stock in Carol Kaye's recollection that Fire was to be followed with IWBA/Friday Night. They sound right together to me - the perfect counterpoint of horror and humour - and I often wonder if that's not 80% of The Elements right there.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 15, 2011, 05:02:50 AM »

Water - no-one knows.

Didn't someone point out that they're actually singing "Wadooo" over and over!!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 15, 2011, 05:48:19 AM »

Here is what I believe, after decades of observation, deduction and thought:

Earth - proto-Fall Breaks
Air - proto-Country Air
Water - Da Da.

Here is what we know, after decades of observation, deduction and thought:

Earth - was possibly Vega-tables once, otherwise no-one knows
Air - no-one knows
Water - no-one knows.

Always wondered whether Wake The Word should have a place somewhere in there, particularly the chorus's brass bass lines. Really ear-catching cos they're lively and fun to hear.

But I'll be happy with whatever Mark and Alan reveal/give us. Not just happy actually...

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 15, 2011, 08:40:29 AM »

I'm really enjoying this discussion about the meaning of the lyrics in smile. I've never been much cop at deciphering lyrics so great to read these inisghts especially about duality, the worms on the other side of the rock and all that. With Smile I am bowled over by the beauty of Brian's music but I'm lazy when it comes to the lyrics. Amazing to think there's so much meaning buried in there.
Personally I put a lot of stock in Carol Kaye's recollection that Fire was to be followed with IWBA/Friday Night. They sound right together to me - the perfect counterpoint of horror and humour - and I often wonder if that's not 80% of The Elements right there.

I too am enjoying the discussions, and while I have a hard time believing it all, it's nice to hear what others think Brian and Van Dyke were trying to say, and I'm enjying the reading immensely

However on your second point, you have my extreme condolences and I hope you will recover soon.
Any credibility Carol might have had, once upon a time, has long since disappeared;    I think it's very possible that she was megadosed by Owsley, which could account for her wild hallucinations.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 15, 2011, 08:52:11 AM »

A few comments:

"Heroes & Villains" does not contain any lyrics about "Cowboys & Indians"; Parks was too hip to perpetuate that stereotype as is evidenced by the reverence for the "American Indian" in other song lyrics. Brian may have had the boys chant like Disney cartoon Indians, but American Indians are not part of the conflict in H & V.

I, too, believe that "Vegetables" incorporates the use of drugs in a subtext; why else would you have the spoken words "wink wink" underneath the line about eating the wrapper if not to cue the listener in that the line has a hidden message (in this case, taking a tab of acid).

I think Brian's idea of doing THE ELEMENTS went the way of the BARNYARD SUITE. He started recording a portion of it ("The Elements Pt. 1"), but soon changed his mind. At what point did he change his mind? At the moment "The Elements Pt. 1" became "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow". We've assumed all four elements would have subtitles, but did Brian simply decide not to record any more "Elements" and include "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" (no longer referred to as part of "The Elements") as a stand alone instrumental track since it was already recorded? A week or two later, he freaked out over the fires and it was gone for good. "We can do a candle next time" - maybe this was a reference not to the "Fire" portion of "The Elements", but to a replacement track for "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" - in Brian's mind a parallel to the track he discarded.

I don't think any members of the group are actually singing "Water" in the "Water Chant" - is this actually notated as "Water Chant" on the original tape box or session sheet? If not, then it's just another cool chant and the evidence suggests that "The Elements" was abandoned after "Fire" was recorded.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 15, 2011, 08:55:35 AM »

I don't think any members of the group are actually singing "Water" in the "Water Chant" - is this actually notated as "Water Chant" on the original tape box or session sheet? If not, then it's just another cool chant and the evidence suggests that "The Elements" was abandoned after "Fire" was recorded.

Is Mike singing the "Now now, n-n-now now now..." line?
All Golden 74
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 15, 2011, 09:14:07 AM »

...I, too, believe that "Vegetables" incorporates the use of drugs in a subtext...

WOW!  Never noticed that before.  Here's something:  I was playing Hawthorne, CA. on the car stereo when the "Vegetables Promo" came on.  My wife, who teaches Elementary School, says the chant about, "Where's my beet, and my carrot" is a homophone, meaning beet = beat.  I think she's right about this.  Didn't someone use a carrot as a percussion instrument on this track ("Vegetables")?  The carrot keeps the beat!  I love all this weird and goofy stuff that keeps popping up!

Also, I did get my wife to teach her kids the "Vegetables" song to sing at some assembly.  Considering the drug stuff I maybe better knock that off! Roll Eyes
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 15, 2011, 09:18:10 AM »

Also, I did get my wife to teach her kids the "Vegetables" song to sing at some assembly.  Considering the drug stuff I maybe better knock that off! Roll Eyes

Better for them to be singing Vegatables, than most  of the crap available these days.  With Kids singing, no one will question it.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 15, 2011, 09:47:48 AM »

To be honest I think vega-tables being about drugs takes far more imagination than believing it is about erm... vegatables...

Still lyrical interpretations depend largely on what we bring to the table. I have never done drugs, so that possibility doesn't resonate with me.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 15, 2011, 09:52:58 AM »

Water - no-one knows.

Yeah, didn't somebody heroically go on and on about it in the face of gargantuan derision?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 10:00:36 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: March 15, 2011, 10:06:27 AM »

Water - no-one knows.

Yeah, didn't somebody heroically go on and on about it in the face of gargantuan derision?

To be entirely and tediously pedantic, its turning up in the middle of a song called "Cool, Cool Water" is also fairly persuasive.  Roll Eyes

onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 15, 2011, 10:32:40 AM »

Yeah, Mike sings the stuttering "Now". And it's cool as hell.

Reminds me of that whole quote about riding the wave of now from that article reproduced in LLVS.
Winston Wrong
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 15, 2011, 11:21:34 AM »

Does anyone know what the backing vocals are for the "Cornucopia" version of Vegetables?

I hear "Writing on the wall, dig a hole in the ground" or "Roll it on the wall, dig a hole in the ground" then the next line is "(inaudible).. ripped the buttons right off my shirt"

The words are very hard to hear - I have to use headphones to really hear them..

Also, does anyone hear a fart sound at 0:46 in the background of the Good Vibrations box set version of Vegetables? I have always heard it!
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 15, 2011, 11:23:30 AM »

Water - no-one knows.

To be entirely and tediously pedantic, its turning up in the middle of a song called "Cool, Cool Water" is also fairly persuasive.  Roll Eyes

Andrew, you're arguing with yourself now! I think the "Water Chant" (what else to call it?) might have shown up in "Cool, Cool Water" the same way that the workshop sound effects ended up in "Do It Again": the track was available and had not been used yet.

I actually like to think that it represents "Water" (and it is suggested by placement on BWPS that this could be the case as well), but if we discard Frank Holmes' illustration linking "Vega-Tables" with "The Elements", we're left with only "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" and nothing else. Given that neither Darian nor Brian cared to be more specific about "The Elements" on BWPS again suggests that the idea for that track was a temporary one back in '66. Yes, you happen to get the three other tracks commonly associated with "The Elements" in the third movement, but where else would those tracks fit? They're not really Americana and they're not associated with the "Child is the Father" movement either. The fact that the four elements are vaguely suggested by the third movement is kind of cool and it's possible that Parks wrote his new lyrics to "In Blue Hawaii" with the idea that water imagery should be used for that very purpose (then again, the same logic would apply to simply following a song about fire with one with water as has been suggested earlier in this thread).
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 15, 2011, 11:27:26 AM »

To be honest I think vega-tables being about drugs takes far more imagination than believing it is about erm... vegatables...

Still lyrical interpretations depend largely on what we bring to the table. I have never done drugs, so that possibility doesn't resonate with me.

I've never done drugs either, but it's not too much of a stretch (with a pun like "Cabin Essence") to believe that coded lyrics might work their way in there to be hip. As Parks has said: "I did inhale."
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 15, 2011, 11:33:11 AM »

Water - no-one knows.

Ha ha - I remember something like that. It was a bit of a stretch, but then, if you listen closely ....  Wink (it wasn't me, by the way)

However on your second point, you have my extreme condolences and I hope you will recover soon.
Any credibility Carol might have had, once upon a time, has long since disappeared;    I think it's very possible that she was megadosed by Owsley, which could account for her wild hallucinations.

LOL

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 15, 2011, 12:17:27 PM »

I think the early lyrics are the key.

"I Tripped On A Cornucopia...."

I think you have to take this as a drug reference! We're talking about Van Dyke Parks here, how many puns are there in the lyrics to SMiLE? They're all over the place, even on Vegetables there's the well known potato pun. On Surf's Up you have stuff like "music hall a costly bow" etc.
We're so willing to accept all these puns, why is the use of "tripped" the one time that we want to assume Van Dyke wasn't writing a pun.

This is LA, 1966, right on the edge of the psychedelic era. It's been well established that Brian was heavily into pot, and hash and had used LSD as early as Summer Days. Van Dyke too, by self admission, was into these drugs.

The concept of "The Trip" is really important to psychedelic experience. Anyone who's ever done LSD will tell you that. The word "tripped" is just really really loaded in this context. Why do you think Van Dyke decided to use the word "tripped" if he wasn't trying to talk about drugs? It stretches plausibility to think that he simply picked that word by accident without realizing it's drug connotations. Again, look at all the puns in SMiLE, then try and tell me this was the one time out of all the SMiLE lyrics that Van Dykes lyrics weren't intentional. It just doesn't make sense.

The next line "Stripped the stalk green" I think is a reference to weed. Just that line conjures strongly the image of plucking nuggets off a green stem.

Plus all the laughing really stands out. SMiLE was a humor album, and what's funnier than smoking weed with your friends and doing silly chants? I think what happened with this song was the same thing as Hang On To Your Ego. Brian got scared and wanted to tone down the lyrics.

I also think this theory hurts the idea that Vegetables was Earth. I mean, LSD is synthetic. Brian also used hash it sounds like more than he smoked weed. Hash isn't "natural" but is a refined form of THC.

I've never really heard this theory stated before. But I'm absolutely convinced that it's right.

I hear "Writing on the wall, dig a hole in the ground" or "Roll it on the wall, dig a hole in the ground" then the next line is "(inaudible).. ripped the buttons right off my shirt"

I was trying to figure this out too. Any ideas on what these bg lines mean??

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
B-Rex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 15, 2011, 12:20:57 PM »

I'd never picked up on the Vega-tables as drugs theme.   It makes perfect sense, especially with the cornucopia line.  It works literally, as well, so any drug reference could be plausibly denied if Van Dyke were pressed to do so.  

I fail to see how duality would limit the number of elements to two.  The outro to Wind Chimes does sound elementary, as does a fair portion of Holidays, as is presented on BW Presents, leading into Wind Chimes, thus creating a de facto air element.  Dada has been listed as water by many but it never worked for me.  It works as a backing track for In Blue Hawai'i but on its own, it hardly represents water.  

The four elements, earth, air, water and fire, were to be instrumentals.  Fire, as stated, is obvious.  Water may or may not be Dada.  Earth never felt right being vega-tables.  I sincerely hope that air was started by Brian and recorded in a demo form.  We'll have to wait and see.

SMiLE was never completed.  Therefore,  Brian never saw it as completed.  Smiley Smile was at best a reasonable facsimile.  Thus, he may have never stopped work on SMiLE in his head despite the SMiLE demons lurking inside.  Diamond Head wasn't all his composition but certainly fits the water element theme.  It also sticks out on Friends about as much as Transcendental Meditation does.  Unless another water element pops up, Diamond Head is the best option.   Fall Breaks isn't the candle that Brian suggested.  It is based on MOC, but the candle was never created just like the air piano piece...or was that actually created and just not finished?  Anyhow, Fall Breaks also fits the bill as the best alternative for earth.  That doesn't mean either is the historically proper choice.  They represent the best musical choices from what we have heard.   Hopefully', that will soon change but I don't suspect it will.

Tilt Araiza
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 15, 2011, 12:59:29 PM »

Does anyone know what the backing vocals are for the "Cornucopia" version of Vegetables?

To my ears it's "Round, round, round, dig a hole in the ground" (as illustrated in the Holmes booklet) and later on "pop those buttons right offa my shirt".
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 15, 2011, 01:02:11 PM »

I'd never picked up on the Vega-tables as drugs theme.   It makes perfect sense, especially with the cornucopia line.  It works literally, as well, so any drug reference could be plausibly denied if Van Dyke were pressed to do so.  

I fail to see how duality would limit the number of elements to two.  The outro to Wind Chimes does sound elementary, as does a fair portion of Holidays, as is presented on BW Presents, leading into Wind Chimes, thus creating a de facto air element.  Dada has been listed as water by many but it never worked for me.  It works as a backing track for In Blue Hawai'i but on its own, it hardly represents water.  

The four elements, earth, air, water and fire, were to be instrumentals.  Fire, as stated, is obvious.  Water may or may not be Dada.  Earth never felt right being vega-tables.  I sincerely hope that air was started by Brian and recorded in a demo form.  We'll have to wait and see.

SMiLE was never completed.  Therefore,  Brian never saw it as completed.  Smiley Smile was at best a reasonable facsimile.  Thus, he may have never stopped work on SMiLE in his head despite the SMiLE demons lurking inside.  Diamond Head wasn't all his composition but certainly fits the water element theme.  It also sticks out on Friends about as much as Transcendental Meditation does.  Unless another water element pops up, Diamond Head is the best option.   Fall Breaks isn't the candle that Brian suggested.  It is based on MOC, but the candle was never created just like the air piano piece...or was that actually created and just not finished?  Anyhow, Fall Breaks also fits the bill as the best alternative for earth.  That doesn't mean either is the historically proper choice.  They represent the best musical choices from what we have heard.   Hopefully', that will soon change but I don't suspect it will.

With SMiLE anything is possible. It would certainly be ambitious for him to record a song for each element. However I don't think it's a certainty, and there's no reason we have to be so strict in assuming that there was four elements. I think that's an assumption that us fans make based primarily upon intuition. Considering that we've never hard anything of Earth or Air, it seems hard to believe that they were planned.
There were about 80 recording sessions for SMiLE, and Brian never got around to doing anything of Earth or Air. None of the session logs say anything about Air or Earth. If they were recorded they were recorded at sessions for another song, which seems weird. Really 80 sessions and Brian never even got around to making an attempt to record those two songs.
The Elements is a gaping hole in the SMiLE tracklist, it's just a mysterious void. It's the one thing of all the SMiLE music that we don't have. The one thing that we don't even have any evidence of even existing in any form. That's why I hesitate to jump on the "there had to be four elements" bandwagon. This void feels like it was made up by fans based only on the title "The Elements". We have Fire, and we know Brian was having his one friend record water sounds, we also have the version of Fire with the burning fire FX track. Brian's plan seems to have been to include a sound effect track of the element in each song. But there are no stories of Brian having his friends record wind, or "earth" (whatever that would sound like).
10 months, 80 sessions, not a single word about Earth or Air. It just seems really strange...

On "Holidays" I think the title Holidays gives us some insight into what Brian wanted to do with that song. Brian was into exotica records, as has been pointed out a lot.
I think Brian had made a connection, mentally, between different types of trips. There was the type of trip you take as a vacation to Hawaii, which is what exotica music was about. Then there's the type of trip you take mentally using LSD. I think exotica was a musical metaphor in the SMiLE music for enlightenment, states of expanded consciousness, religious experience etc...

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 15, 2011, 01:21:27 PM »

Sorry but I don't understand the obsession with Diamond Head - can somebody explain please

Cheers

Richard
B-Rex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 15, 2011, 01:35:40 PM »

Diamond Head is an instrumental about water containing sound effects.  It sounds very SMiLE like.  It has no historical basis in the SMiLE sessions and has multiple writers.  It shouldn't have any relevance to SMiLE except for the fact that SMiLE was never completed and never released.  Brian could have continued work on SMiLE under later album sessions.  There is no historical reason to include it.  Musically, there are multiple reasons.  It plays extremely well after MOC.  It has strong wave sound effects (could be putting out the fire).   It has very SMiLE like runs with the notes.  It exemplifies water.  It was recorded later with multiple writers...which seemingly would preclude it from any SMiLE discussion.   Musically, it just works!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx