gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681083 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 22, 2024, 07:20:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: McCartney's Worst  (Read 7117 times)
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2006, 04:56:29 PM »

What are some of Sir Paul's very worst songs/albums?

C Moon
We All Stand Together
Spies Like Us
At least half of Flowers In The Dirt
Biker Like An Icon
Most of Pipes Of Peace...The 80s and early 90s wasn't Macca's best era of creativity.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 04:57:33 PM by Jason Byzewski » Logged

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
MBE
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 04:59:44 PM »

I like C Moon and Spies. Hmm I hate London Town, Off The Ground, Tripping the Live, The Fireman LPs, the Twin Freaks LP, I really hate Driving Rain
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 05:02:57 PM »

At least C Moon is somewhat fun and goofy which isn't a bad thing, some of the Press to Play era stuff like Spies is kind of cold and clinical sounding and I actually don't mind Driving Rain although its no where near as good as Flaming Pie.

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 11:19:57 PM »

I really don't like Flaming Pie, but that may have more to do with Jeff Lynnes lumpen production. Off the ground is poor and Driving rain sounds like a load of demos. I quite like Press to Play though, there are some good bits on it - Press, Only love remains.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 03:42:48 AM »

The albums I listen to least are Driving rain, Press to play and Speed Of Sound.
Drivng Rain is the worst I guess. But you never know, It can sometime take years for an album to grow on me. I hated Back to the Egg during the 80's but I love it now.

I like Spies Like Us, a fun record.  We all stand together is an easy target being a kids record. I actually love the second 1/2, George Martins arrangement is beautiful.

Flowers in The Dirt, Loved it at the time. I think maybe the production is going through a phase of sounding dated. Give it a few more years I think I'll like it again.

My Brave Face always sounds great. The B side "Flying To my Home " Is great too.

CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 04:46:30 AM »

Driving Rain gets my vote as well.  Not such a big fan of Flowers in the Dirt either.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 06:32:08 AM »

He’s got a lot of stinkers in his catalog. Not sure which one to pinpoint. The Broadstreet Soundtrack was particularly bad (not including “No More Lonely Nights”). Not fond of the London Town album, aside from Café on the Left Bank and Little Luck. The “Off the Ground” album contained some of his most retched lyrics.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 08:24:26 AM »

ssoooooooo many bad songs, so little time
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 08:59:52 AM »

Hands down, the worst thing he ever did was "Freedom". What a jingoistic piece of manure (in the context of a rallying song for Americans post-Sept. 11th, 2001; plain bad out of that context). The fact that he stuck the song at the end of the already horrid "Driving Rain" as a bonus track was the final nail in that album's coffin.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 07:04:02 PM »

Most of Off The Ground (especially the 2-disc version) and Wonderful Christmastime (I hate that damn synth).

The Lovely Linda is terrible just because it's so damn short! I get musical blueballs everytime I hear it. What a lovely song, too friggin' short.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 07:23:49 PM »

Hands down, the worst thing he ever did was "Freedom". What a jingoistic piece of manure (in the context of a rallying song for Americans post-Sept. 11th, 2001; plain bad out of that context). The fact that he stuck the song at the end of the already horrid "Driving Rain" as a bonus track was the final nail in that album's coffin.

AMEN. It was absolutely one of the worst songs I've ever heard. I absolutely hated it. It struck me as a shallow (even for Paul) paint-by-numbers piece of trash. Granted, considering the money to be made at the time (I saw a lot of bumper stickers, t-shirts and the like around then), I guess he wasn't alone.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 08:40:08 PM »

1) Wow...for all the hatred people seem to express for "Freedom," he sure got a huge ovation for it in 2002 during his tour, and when someone performed it at Beatlefest, that band also got a really good response.

2) You're all absolutely, a million percent dead wrong [except for Driving Rain] -- the single worst McCartney song, by ridiculously far, is "Mrs. Vanderbilt." Six hours of a dreary A-minor chord and his band doing that godawful singalong of "ho.......hey ho........" over and over and over....argghghh....and just when you think it's about finished...IT F***KING STARTS UP AGAIN.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 09:33:34 PM »

I pretty much have to agree.  Although I applaud and appreciate the sentiment and the heart (I guess) he was trying to display there, it just didn't work.  Apparently Paul was actually in the sky landing in New York when the towers were struck and saw the buildings from the air.  Still a horrid song, and I usually like stuff like that.  Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the U.S.A." is just a.o.k. for me, but "Freedom" sucked.  "Driving Rain" in whole sucked, it shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Flaming Pie or Chaos and Creation in the Backyard, both of which I thought were great. 

All of Paul's quirky stuff I love, but his "tripping the live" album was horrible.  He sounded like a caricature of himself, kind of like Brian Wilson did for a while in the early 90's.  I don't know what happened to those two around that time, but I think it may have involved a lot of alcohol and a man named Ringo Starr. 
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 10:51:40 PM »

I just heard Fine Line playin in IHOP tonite...not that it's his worst...it's really good actually... Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
mike8902
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 09:23:52 AM »

Say, Say, Say , A certain softness

mike8902
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2006, 09:57:38 AM »

I like the album driving rain. I hate the song. However, there is too much filler. I like from a lover to a friend, Lonely Road, Heather, and Rinse the Raindrops. So good.

RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2006, 06:22:19 PM »

Because of all the mid to late 80's crap Macca made, I decided to make a "best of" of sorts. A few of the tracks are b-sides/unreleased etc, but they are all studio quality. The album runs together really smoothly and every track is great. Trust me.
My soulseek name is oranjuly.

It's called "Press The Dirty Flowers" (a combo of the three albums that came out)

1. My Brave Face
2. Only Love Remains
3. You Want Her Too
4. Distractions
5. Love Come Tumbling Down
6. Put It There
7. Don't Be Careless Love
8. However Absurd (one of the 10cc'ers co-wrote this one)
9. Motor Of Love
10. Same Love
11. Once Upon A Long Ago
12. Loveliest Thing
13. Return To Pepperland
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2006, 06:28:04 PM »

Because of all the mid to late 80's crap Macca made, I decided to make a "best of" of sorts. A few of the tracks are b-sides/unreleased etc, but they are all studio quality. The album runs together really smoothly and every track is great. Trust me.
My soulseek name is oranjuly.

It's called "Press The Dirty Flowers" (a combo of the three albums that came out)

1. My Brave Face
2. Only Love Remains
3. You Want Her Too
4. Distractions
5. Love Come Tumbling Down
6. Put It There
7. Don't Be Careless Love
8. However Absurd (one of the 10cc'ers co-wrote this one)
9. Motor Of Love
10. Same Love
11. Once Upon A Long Ago
12. Loveliest Thing
13. Return To Pepperland

Good comp, I made a best of Macca in the 80s too, though I had 'Press' on there, the vinyl version is different to the CD version and far superior. 'Once upon a long ago' is great and 'Return to Pepperland' has a good tune though i'm not sure what he was intending on it really, shame it was unreleased, Macca has a Beach Boy mentality when it comes to quality control - ie: He hasn't got a clue.  Cheesy

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2006, 01:40:13 PM »

It's amazing how many don't like Driving Rain, someone said it sounded like a bunch of demos, thats a good way of puting it, it does have some good tracks like Loving Flame, Rinse The Raindrops, Heather, Magic, Tiny Bubble etc., Freedom is awful!  His mid to late eighties stuff is really hit or miss, Press To Play has it's moments like Stranglehold and Flowers In The Dirt has only half good stuff especially the co writes with Elvis Costello.

cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2006, 06:46:22 PM »

"Tripping" has some really strong performances, but they were recorded with that late 80's HORRIBLE digital technology that gave it a real "weak punch" feel to the sound.   I hated that era when it came to music from all genres.  A lot of great songs were given a very one-dimensional sound where it sounded like it was all recorded by the same exact engineer.   A lot of great songs suffered. 

Now Flowers In The Dirt being a shyte album...I'd say that's being kind.   But hell, the man's put out a ton of albums since 1970.  A few are bound to be duds.

Feh.
SG7
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2006, 02:23:33 PM »

"Why Don't We Do It In The Road"  Roll Eyes
cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2006, 03:55:58 PM »

Mamunua

Feh.
Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2006, 04:53:25 PM »

Most of Pipes of Peace. Especially the Michael Jackson duets and the Sears department store elevator muzak that is "Through Our Love." Although I do like that one track "Average Person." Not good for a McCartney song but fun as a piece of early 80's New Wave inspired pop.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx