gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681076 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 21, 2024, 02:59:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Bill M and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 [158] 159 160 161 162 163 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1417133 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: July 03, 2013, 11:02:15 AM »

Does anyone know where I can buy a copy of Andrew's book, Complete Guide to the Music of the Beach Boys? I'm hoping to find it for less than the $45 I've been seeing it go for lately..
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: July 04, 2013, 05:26:46 PM »

The entire lawsuit could have been avoided -- in my opinion -- if the simple fact of the "California Girls" authorship had been resolved earlier. This was the band's signature tune, had made a boatload of money, and there was never any dispute that Mike had written the lyrics. He was screwed. Almost everything else is secondary.

It also, unfortunately, meant he got credit on some things he probably didn't deserve. Tony Asher vehemently denies that Mike wrote any of WIBN, and I'm inclined to believe him (I've never known Tony to blow smoke). Likewise, I can't imagine what Mike contributed to Don't Worry Baby. But with California Girls being the main example, it was hard to give Brian's folks the benefit of the doubt.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: July 04, 2013, 06:12:41 PM »

Likewise, I can't imagine what Mike contributed to Don't Worry Baby.

Had Mike claimed he helped write "Don't Worry Baby"?  I'm looking at my copy of Shut Down Vol. 2 (the 2012 mono/stereo version) and it's credited to Brian and Roger Christian.  Unless you're thinking of a different song.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: July 04, 2013, 10:22:25 PM »

Is it normal to have a little bit of a, uh.. warble(?) during "Life is for the Living"? Or should I be looking for a better version?

Also, is it normal to be a tad creeped-out the first time when listening to "Hey, Little Tomboy"?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 10:38:44 PM by BubblyWaves » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: July 04, 2013, 10:27:33 PM »

I don't know about "Life is for the Living" but given that it's only available on bootleg, I don't think there are any high quality versions out there.

"Hey Little Tomboy" will never not be creepy.  Smiley

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3930 on: July 05, 2013, 09:22:35 AM »

In insignificant, but adorable, Beach Boys related news:

I was getting caught up on my magazine reading during the holiday yesterday, and an issue of Vogue from a few months back had a piece on Dahni Harrison's wedding. He and his bride had their first dance to "Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)".
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: July 05, 2013, 09:40:48 AM »

Comment

Brian Wilson is the greatest songwriter of all time, I hope the world knows that.
What this guy said, times ONE MILLION!
Third it centillion times.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: July 05, 2013, 12:10:52 PM »

Are there any known recordings of the Wiskey A-Go-Go gigs with Brian?

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: July 05, 2013, 01:35:13 PM »

I just found this footage of a 1977 concert:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXcHx2J3NkI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXwNfIDtRJs

Brian's there and he's playing along with the band.

My question is: when did Brian come back to play live with the band? Was it part of the whole "Brian's Back" campaign, or is this a special exception?

Also, at the end of the first video, you can see Mike playing a bit of the bass. Did he play the bass often at this point?
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: July 05, 2013, 01:47:24 PM »

Brian came back to tour with the band in 1976 and remained a regular part of the touring band until I'm going to say 1982 (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) and his appearances became more sporadic at that point.  As for Mike playing bass, it looks like he was just tuning it so I'm going to say no.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3935 on: July 05, 2013, 02:14:50 PM »

Are there any known recordings of the Wiskey A-Go-Go gigs with Brian?

Nope.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3936 on: July 05, 2013, 02:16:51 PM »

Likewise, I can't imagine what Mike contributed to Don't Worry Baby.

Had Mike claimed he helped write "Don't Worry Baby"?  I'm looking at my copy of Shut Down Vol. 2 (the 2012 mono/stereo version) and it's credited to Brian and Roger Christian.  Unless you're thinking of a different song.

Correct - "DWB" wasn't one of the titles on which the lawsuit was based.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: July 05, 2013, 03:50:54 PM »

Not really a question, more like sharing something I thought was really cool. I'm a big fan of the tv show 'Mad men' and in season 5, episode 6 'Far Away Places' Roger Sterling takes LSD. And the music that's playing in the background is...of course, The Beach Boys! 'I just wasn't made for these times'...

Check it out (min. 1:58 - although I recommend watching the whole scene):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpWlKCfSPcU

I'm sure someone, somewhere already posted about this in this board. But what the heck, wanted to share it too  Grin

Enjoy!

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: July 05, 2013, 04:47:59 PM »

Not really a question, more like sharing something I thought was really cool. I'm a big fan of the tv show 'Mad men' and in season 5, episode 6 'Far Away Places' Roger Sterling takes LSD. And the music that's playing in the background is...of course, The Beach Boys! 'I just wasn't made for these times'...

Check it out (min. 1:58 - although I recommend watching the whole scene):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpWlKCfSPcU

I'm sure someone, somewhere already posted about this in this board. But what the heck, wanted to share it too  Grin

Enjoy!

There was a thread about it when it happened.  As both a Mad Men fan and a Beach Boys fan, I was ecstatic.

linusoli
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3939 on: July 05, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »

Strange question but I would love to know - is there a message board like this one, for the Beatles? Have never been able to find a Beatles board with as in depth discussion and interesting factoids as this for the Beach Boys...
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: July 05, 2013, 09:45:56 PM »

There is NO other message board on any topic that goes as in depth as this one goes.  That probably comes down to the fact that some Beach Boys fans have no life.   Grin
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: July 05, 2013, 09:52:43 PM »

It's not too popular around these parts, but I'm pretty sure the Steve Hoffman board has some people that talk about stuff.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: July 05, 2013, 09:58:42 PM »

There is NO other message board on any topic that goes as in depth as this one goes.  That probably comes down to the fact that some Beach Boys fans have no life.   Grin

Is this true? If so, it's an astonishing shame.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: July 06, 2013, 03:49:10 AM »

I just found this footage of a 1977 concert:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXcHx2J3NkI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXwNfIDtRJs

Brian's there and he's playing along with the band.

My question is: when did Brian come back to play live with the band? Was it part of the whole "Brian's Back" campaign, or is this a special exception?

Also, at the end of the first video, you can see Mike playing a bit of the bass. Did he play the bass often at this point?

Mike's been playing bass since the Surfin' Safari LP. The camera never lies  Grin

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: July 06, 2013, 07:32:05 AM »

Has that Eastern Airlines ad with the Beach Boys ever surfaced? I've always wanted to see it.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #3945 on: July 06, 2013, 11:29:42 AM »

Iirc, didn't Mike claim co-authorship for more songs than he was awarded in his mid-90s suit against Brian? If so, which songs didn't he get credit for?

As stated in the Goldmine interview, the original total was 79, which included "Surfin' USA". He was awarded co-authorship on all the 35-odd songs listed in the suit. Up to and including Pet Sounds, the band released 118 titles: this excludes side two of the Xmas album, the live album and Party ! but includes covers and instrumentals. Thus, at best, Mike was claiming to have contributed towards two-thirds of the bands entire output released between November 1961 and May 1966. Subtracting the 24 covers and instrumentals released during that period, that figure rises to 79 of 94, or just over 80%.
Thank you. Do we know why he didn't push for credit on all 79 in court?

Which other songs did he want credit for - but was denied - besides Surfin' USA?
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: July 06, 2013, 05:28:11 PM »

What's up with the fade on "Transcendental Meditation"? It jumps from loud to soft to silence in a matter of seconds. Was this always intended or was it a mistake made during mixing?

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: July 06, 2013, 06:27:14 PM »

What was the last concert/appearance the band made with Brian before he quit in '64?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: July 06, 2013, 06:37:49 PM »

What's this about a "hidden part" to All This Is That? I've never heard or read anything about it, until this thread.

Underneath the verse, starting just after "timeless time of all" (sounds like "two waves travel by"), there's a half buried vocal line, which is partly the Frost poem: once you hear it you realise it's all over, er, under the song. Al was asked about it a good few years ago, and he couldn't remember what it was.

Do you think Alan Boyd or Mark Linett may know something about it?

When I was working for Alan, I seem to remember hearing a "faders up" mix of ATIT and there was definitely more going on, but I don't remember what, exactly.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: July 06, 2013, 06:53:23 PM »

What was the last concert/appearance the band made with Brian before he quit in '64?

pick yer shoe and go straight to eric's site.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 [158] 159 160 161 162 163 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx