gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680975 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 04:58:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce to Perform (You'll Never Be) Alone on Chritmas Day  (Read 3554 times)
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2015, 05:06:37 PM »

On the Hollywood Christmas parade.  It's on the CW and on right now if you're in the eastern time zone.  Not sure when they'll be on. 
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 06:09:20 PM »

They're about to come on.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 06:31:40 PM »

They were just lip syncing (albeit a very good job).  Not unexpected, but still nice to hear it.
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 06:50:51 PM »

Thanks Cinn.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 10:40:51 AM »

It's up now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJg3hhgkCHQ
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 10:58:50 AM »

Thank you for posting the link. I enjoyed that very much. "Alone On Christmas Day" will sound great live. I always liked The Beach Boys' version, and, hopefully someday it will be remixed/remastered and be part of a new Beach Boys' Christmas comp.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 11:15:10 AM »

I watched the entire two hour show (I enjoy stuff during the season even if it's as cheapie and inane as this show), and Mike was one of if not the only music acts to lip sync. Most singers were live on top of a pre-recorded track.

The heavy auto tune was more out of place in light of the live setting. He did a fine job matching the lip sync, though singing the deep "gotta move on" parts made it look a little extra fake.

For whatever it's worth, Foskett *looked* happier than I've seen him in years with Brian.

I think if the studio track had been produced more organic-sounding and drier like some of his 2004 album stuff, it would have sounded better.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 12:23:08 PM »

I'm not a big fan of this new arrangement BUT this has to be one of Mike's best songs he wrote without Brian's active participation. The lyrics are very good too, it's a sweet sentiment and Mike's better lyrics have always had a really nice flow to them!
KDS
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 10:35:46 AM »

Thank you for posting the link. I enjoyed that very much. "Alone On Christmas Day" will sound great live. I always liked The Beach Boys' version, and, hopefully someday it will be remixed/remastered and be part of a new Beach Boys' Christmas comp.

Would that be called "The Beach Boys Definitive Essential Ultimate Christmas"?  Smiley

But seriously..........I'd probably buy it.   
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 11:48:19 AM »

Would that be called "The Beach Boys Definitive Essential Ultimate Christmas"?  Smiley

But seriously..........I'd probably buy it.   

I don't think it's high on many people's wish list, but I would love to see a remixed and remastered Beach Boys' Christmas collection, mostly for the 1977 songs. Ultimate Christmas is good, but the volume of the various songs is all over the place, the mastering is poor, and there are a couple of omissions that I would include. How about something like this:

The Beach Boys - Merry Christmas!

01  Little Saint Nick
02  The Man With All The Toys
03  Santa's Beard
04  Merry Christmas, Baby
05  Christmas Day
06  Frosty The Snowman
07  We Three Kings Of Orient Are
08  Blue Christmas
09  Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
10  White Christmas
11  I'll Be Home For Christmas
12  Auld Lang Syne

13  Little Saint Nick (Drive-In Version)
14  Things We Did Last Summer
15  The Lord's Prayer
16  Little Saint Nick (Single Version)
17  Dennis Wilson Christmas Message

18  Child Of Winter
19  Bells Of Christmas
20  Winter Symphony
21  Christmas Time Is Here Again
22  Alone On Christmas Day
23  Go And Get That Girl
24  Santa's Got An Airplane
25  Santa's On His Way (H.E.L.P. Is On The Way)
26  (I Saw Santa) Rocking Around The Christmas Tree
27  I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
28  Melekalikimaka
29  Michael Row The Boat Ashore
30  Morning Christmas

-  I'm omitting "Auld Lang Syne" without the Dennis spoken word; it's not necessary
-  I'm omitting the "Toy Drive Public Service Announcement"; it's nice but there's enough "Little St. Nick" versions on here
-  I'm omitting the "Brian Wilson Christmas Interview"; it's not interesting and doesn't add much to the collection
-  I'm not including the "Christmas Carol Medley"; it's a matter of opinion but I think this track is a little too rough for release and not up to The Beach Boys' standards (yes, I know some of the other 1977 songs are also questionable)
-  I really think that, if the 1976/77 songs were presented properly, meaning remixed, remastered, and sequenced logically, those "later" songs would be a nice companion to the classic 1964 tracks.
KDS
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 11:54:30 AM »

Interesting list Sheriff,

I would probably keep the Auld Lang Syne without the spoken word just because I like the harmonies on that one. 

Just curious about your inclusion of The Things We Did Last Summer.  Maybe I'm missing something, but how does that fit? 
kermit27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 12:29:49 PM »

I would probably keep the Auld Lang Syne without the spoken word just because I like the harmonies on that one. 

I, too, prefer that version. It has replaced the "Christmas message" version in all of my playlists.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 01:24:49 PM »

Just curious about your inclusion of The Things We Did Last Summer.  Maybe I'm missing something, but how does that fit? 

How does "Things We Did Last Summer" fit? I wanted an even 30 songs! Grin

No, seriously, I wanted to capitalize on the repeated line, "The things we did last summer, I'll remember ALL WINTER LONG." It's the "All Summer Long" theme but even later in the year (Christmas comes this time each year!). It fits vocally with some of the other 1964 tracks. It would be nice to retrieve "Things We Did Last Summer" from the boxed set, place it next to some other seasonal tracks, give it some new exposure, and let it be appreciated by more people.

Dennis' spoken-word flub on "Auld Lang Syne"is still one of the biggest WTF's in the history of The Beach Boys. Brian Wilson was notorious in those days for his perfectionism, making take after take. But for some reason - FOR SOME REASON! - he didn't say, "Wait, let's try that again Dennis; Take (whatever)." Yes, Dennis' stutter STILL bothers me after decades, and I like the version sans Dennis, but it's part of history, I'd leave it in, and I don't think it's necessary to repeat the same track a few minutes later on the album; it's too...repetitive. There's already three versions of "Little Saint Nick" on there!!!
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 01:52:25 PM »

I feel like had those XMAS tracks been polished like the MIU production was, it would have been a nice album. That polished production sounds better with holiday music.  I don't understand why they didn't cover a few more traditional songs to fill it out besides the medley. I have heard far worse XMAS albums that major artists have done. And plus we might never have gotten MIU
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx