gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680980 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 05:07:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 14 Beach Boys albums coming to vinyl/SACD  (Read 213781 times)
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: December 25, 2014, 10:39:19 AM »

At the other end of the scale ----  A few decades ago I bought a novel toy I've had a lot of fun with over the years. I would go to a party and ask people if they had ever seen a truck record player or a car record player. When they said no, I'd take an LP (Little Deuce Coupe) and place it on a table, not a turntable, but an eating table. Then I'd take out my truck record player and show it off to an amazed crowd of onlookers. 

Here's a demo video, (mine is a blue model) >>>  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJfauJmup24

While looking for a demo on YouTube, I found out that this little toy is still being made. Here's a link to the actual device and the video therein shows more about how it works. Actually only one wheel drives the car around the record while the needle keeps the vehicle following along the groove all the way to the end of the record -- leadout grooves and all. 

The SOUNDWAGAN  for sale >>>  http://soundwagon.jp/ [/size]

Thanks for the tip.I had no idea they still made these . I gotta get me one.

Do these have a hookup or USB broadcaster that I can play to my computer? 

LOL Yep you can purchase a cable of some 350 Yards in length , however it gets a little messy after the 3rd track
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 25, 2014, 01:01:05 PM »

At the other end of the scale ----  A few decades ago I bought a novel toy I've had a lot of fun with over the years. I would go to a party and ask people if they had ever seen a truck record player or a car record player. When they said no, I'd take an LP (Little Deuce Coupe) and place it on a table, not a turntable, but an eating table. Then I'd take out my truck record player and show it off to an amazed crowd of onlookers. 

Here's a demo video, (mine is a blue model) >>>  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJfauJmup24

While looking for a demo on YouTube, I found out that this little toy is still being made. Here's a link to the actual device and the video therein shows more about how it works. Actually only one wheel drives the car around the record while the needle keeps the vehicle following along the groove all the way to the end of the record -- leadout grooves and all. 

LOL Yep you can purchase a cable of some 350 Yards in length , however it gets a little messy after the 3rd track

I guess that means , NO; you didn't have to be so mean about it.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 25, 2014, 01:32:45 PM »

I guess that means , NO; you didn't have to be so mean about it.

You bring that on yourself, Bgas.   Cheesy

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 25, 2014, 04:38:24 PM »

As my mono Christmas album has failed to arrive I'm scared that same thing might happen if I order these. I would buy them all were they available at a store in town! I'm bugged. Angry
Do you have any local record stores run by older dudes who are into indie and classic rock type stuff?  I gave my guy a call the other day about the A/P stuff and he's on it for me (him being a growing fan of the band helps too) - because he's a dealer, he gets wholesale pricing and then the shipping costs are reduced ('cos he buys a ton of other stuff).

Additionally, he has the insurance covered etc, so no problemmo if no show.

Hang in there re your christmas album - given it's the silly season, I'm not suprised to hear it's a-been delayed.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 26, 2014, 08:35:36 AM »

My copy of Surfer Girl in mono arrived this morning. I have to get to work so I only had time to compare the songs Surfer Girl and Catch A Wave on the new release to my original mono on Capitol. As an overall listening experience, I prefer the new AP hands down. Beautiful quiet background and there is more separation/clarity in the instruments and vocals. The only thing I noticed was the new release is a bit bass shy compared to the Capitol release. The new AP version will definitely be my new go to version from now on.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 26, 2014, 02:11:39 PM »

My copy of Surfer Girl in mono arrived this morning. I have to get to work so I only had time to compare the songs Surfer Girl and Catch A Wave on the new release to my original mono on Capitol. As an overall listening experience, I prefer the new AP hands down. Beautiful quiet background and there is more separation/clarity in the instruments and vocals. The only thing I noticed was the new release is a bit bass shy compared to the Capitol release. The new AP version will definitely be my new go to version from now on.

Nice one, Lee! Looking forward to any further details/observations when you've time or disposition of course  Cheesy

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 27, 2014, 02:03:26 PM »

This is great to hear, Lee!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 04, 2015, 02:30:55 PM »

Anyone got any further updates?  I wish they were distributed here in the UK.  To get one shipped to the UK wold cost about $45 and even then I might have a customs charge on top of that!  The sellers who were doing the recent UME vinyl will hopefully do these too.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 04, 2015, 10:31:18 PM »

Anyone got any further updates?  I wish they were distributed here in the UK.  To get one shipped to the UK wold cost about $45 and even then I might have a customs charge on top of that!  The sellers who were doing the recent UME vinyl will hopefully do these too.
Hey Mike - I'm getting mine through an indie record store; I'll be paying about $45 Australian a pop (inc all delivery etc), which is $36 Gringo or $23 7&3 quid.  Could be worth talking to any local stores to see wat they can do.

These are Royale with Cheese editions (they freakin' better be) from an indie company without the distribution subsidies of a major (eg, UME re the Beatles mono pressings); so I think a big bill is a bit of an inevitability for us O/S shoppers.  I'll just have to drink that cheaper shiraz for the next few months  LOL

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 05, 2015, 08:32:10 AM »

Cheers Alan, seems like a fair price to pay.  Unfortunately for me my nearest Indie store is about 25 miles away.  Which is fine but I doubt they'll order them in, althought they did get Pacific Ocean Blue 3lp back when it came out.  I think I'll give them a try.  I will need to cherry pick for now though, I've got fairly good original vinyl and Capitol yellows and Greens and From the Valts.  The packaging alone makes me want them all though!
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 05, 2015, 08:49:45 AM »

I just purchased the whole first set of monos from Acoustic Sounds over the weekend.  10% off, free shipping, and no tax, so the first 5 cost me $135.  Can't wait to A/B them against my mint original rainbow label monos.

Lee from Charlotte, NC  (not to be confused with "lee" from Charlotte, NC)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 05, 2015, 08:52:48 AM »

Lee from Charlotte, NC  (not to be confused with "lee" from Charlotte, NC)

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 05, 2015, 03:15:22 PM »

Lee from Charlotte, NC  (not to be confused with "lee" from Charlotte, NC)

Well in this case there are two ducks in the pond named Lee, who live in Charlotte, who are Beach Boys fans.  Only based on his profile, I'm old enough to be "lee's" dad...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 03:21:20 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 05, 2015, 03:38:33 PM »

I know Lees from Charlotte, N.C. who are Beach Boys fans.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 05, 2015, 03:51:08 PM »

Lee from Charlotte, NC  (not to be confused with "lee" from Charlotte, NC)

Well in this case there are two ducks in the pond named Lee, who live in Charlotte, who are Beach Boys fans.  Only based on his profile, I'm old enough to be "lee's" dad...

You now have TWO SONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: January 06, 2015, 10:18:59 AM »

I know Lees from Charlotte, N.C. who are Beach Boys fans.

To complicate things even further, I once knew a guy named Lees (with an "s") who was a Beach Boys fan.

But Mikie, you only know one Will Brison!   Wink

(Ironically, there was guy on the Blue Board who claimed the monicker "Will Brison" before the real Will did.)

Lee
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 06, 2015, 10:50:32 AM »

You just gave me an idea for an article in ESQ. Has a review ever been written for that highly collectible single "Will Brison & The Shocking Shrinks - Landy You Need Me/Games Two Can Play"?

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 06, 2015, 08:12:13 PM »

You just gave me an idea for an article in ESQ. Has a review ever been written for that highly collectible single "Will Brison & The Shocking Shrinks - Landy You Need Me/Games Two Can Play"?

There's a review of the single by Lee and someone named Will Carlson in the Fall 1992 edition of ESQ. Lee even managed to interview Will in the following issue!

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 06, 2015, 08:37:17 PM »

Gosh, I'd forgotten all about that.  And considering the circumstances, that means I forgot about it twice...

Lee
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 06, 2015, 08:50:08 PM »

There's a review of the single by Lee and someone named Will Carlson in the Fall 1992 edition of ESQ. Lee even managed to interview Will in the following issue!

Yeah, but I think we need an 'updated" interview. It's 2015 now, and I'd like to get the lowdown on a couple of things that have been on my mind for years. It's well known that Lee is a close, personal friend of Will Brison. Well, Gene Landy reportedly sued Brison for $30 million bucks, claiming that he wrote the lyrics to "Landy You Need Me". And supposedly, Will was involved in an aborted publication entitled “Crap Beach Boys Anagrams” or something like that. Also........I'd like to know if it's really true that Lee was offered $4 million for his copy of the Hawthorne Hotshots bootleg. I believe that we need to get these issues out in the open after all these years.

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 06, 2015, 10:32:53 PM »

Yeah, but I think we need an 'updated" interview. It's 2015 now, and I'd like to get the lowdown on a couple of things that have been on my mind for years. It's well known that Lee is a close, personal friend of Will Brison. Well, Gene Landy reportedly sued Brison for $30 million bucks, claiming that he wrote the lyrics to "Landy You Need Me". And supposedly, Will was involved in an aborted publication entitled “Crap Beach Boys Anagrams” or something like that. Also........I'd like to know if it's really true that Lee was offered $4 million for his copy of the Hawthorne Hotshots bootleg. I believe that we need to get these issues out in the open after all these years.
So do I, preferably in a new thread  Tongue

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 07, 2015, 04:37:42 AM »

I agree Alan.  I was the one who derailed this thread with the "Lee vs lee" thing.  I will post my thoughts on the Analogue Productions reissues when I get back to town on Friday.

Lee
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 04:42:49 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 07, 2015, 05:23:58 AM »

I agree Alan.  I was the one who derailed this thread with the "Lee vs lee" thing.  I will post my thoughts on the Analogue Productions reissues when I get back to town on Friday.

Lee

Sounds good! 
Now if someone( mods?) could just freeze Mikie's account.....

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 07, 2015, 07:26:42 AM »

Sorry guys. It was an inside joke. Maybe too far inside for anyone to grasp. Hint: Album liner notes.

So what are we comparing these new Acoustic Analog albums to? Did I hear the original monos?  Wouldn't be best to compare them against already-released mono CD's or even re-issued mono vinyl?

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 07, 2015, 08:23:03 AM »

So what are we comparing these new Acoustic Analog albums to? Did I hear the original monos?  Wouldn't be best to compare them against already-released mono CD's or even re-issued mono vinyl?

I was thinking the original Capitol monos.  My thought is that Analogue Productions is asking fans to shell out $29.99 per album for a limited-run audiophile product that is purported to be improved over those original Capitol rainbow pressings in terms of fidelity and consistency.  It's well known among audiophiles that Capitol's '60s pressings were not the state-of-the-art in audio fidelity -- the frequency response is often limited, the vinyl compound was not the most quiet, and so many albums were pressed from the same stampers that copies from the beginning of the pressing run can be better than copies from the end of the run.  Given the limitations of 99% of the consumer audio equipment in the '60s, there wasn't a really a need for Capitol to push the limits of frequency response and dynamic range.  It's also a fact that Warner's mono PET SOUNDS from the CATP two-fer, and the single brown cover reissue, are sonically superior in terms of frequency and dynamics to the original Capitol rainbow mono, because Warner had better cutting equipment.  Before others spend $30 a pop, I would like to offer my objective opinion on the Analogue Productions reissues.  Based on Kevin Gray's prior remastering work I have high expectations.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as vinyl is concerned, the Capitol rainbows are the only MONO vinyl editions that I can compare them to, correct?  All of the later reissues have been in stereo.  Oh yeah, I think there was a mid-'70s Capitol mono reissue of SURFIN' SAFARI (the one with a blank back cover), but any reissues of SURFIN' USA through SHUT DOWN, VOL 2 would have been in stereo.

Lee
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 05:45:33 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx