gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 11:59:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: interesting article: "Mike Love states his case"  (Read 107050 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: February 27, 2015, 04:16:11 PM »

Good guy/bad guy mythology is powerful stuff

Indeed. One of the most powerful, unacknowledged factors in BB history. Many want to have a simple tale of good and evil, of a genius's resurrection, of a villain's just desserts.

I am an unapologetic Brian fan, but to ignore these things is to lose crucial perspective.

This is a very good point.

Another key point, to me anyway, and one that I've been so surprised hasn't been more widely discussed, is how much C50 seemed to heal so much of the BS. BS among fans, BS between band members and fans, BS between band members, etc.

Now, it's easy to look back and say it was kind of just a mirage. An anomaly. Sort of like the analogy mentioned about batting at a weirdly high rate for a little while before dipping down again.

But I don't think the fans that enjoyed C50 and felt some sort of healing were delusional. We all knew to *some* degree that some niceties were going on; some amount of sweeping everything under the rug rather than actually healing all of the old wounds. But it seemed like that the band, as a whole, was at one point willing and able to move on. In the literal sense. As in, not necessarily getting over everything from the past or forgetting, or not still being pissed about this or that. But they seemed to actually portray that the music itself, and singing together, had made "moving on" possible. I don't think I would have felt this way if they had taken the easy way out on the "reunion", to just basically make it a novelty act of seeing them all on the same stage and playing a quickie 75 minute barebones sets of hits.

They showed genuine signs at one point of seeing the bigger picture. I figured that's what Mike was doing in agreeing to essentially let Brian's band take over the Beach Boys live brand. I figured that's what they were doing in keeping David Marks in the band. I figured that's what was at play when Mike genuinely broke down in tears as he gave speech at the "California Saga" gig.

The "wasted opportunity" of C50 isn't just the obvious stuff (more money, more press), it's all the other peripheral stuff that could have made us truly forget about the BS of the past. Sure, all the past stuff is important and should be recorded in biographies and scholarly works. And yes, these guys wouldn't have (or can't) tour for another 30 years. But they could have ended this thing together, not just to give it a story book ending, but to give it an ending that didn't leave fans throwing stones at each other, fanzine editors prompting band members to start sniping. We wouldn't have had clusterf***s like Al Jardine being portrayed as a d**k for maybe not finding the prospect of being "allowed" back into his own band for one night at Jones Beach to be so thrilling. We wouldn't have Al Jardine back to playing street fairs. We'd probably be hearing David Marks singing some Dennis tunes or something in concert next to Brian. I'd be buying overpriced autographed 8x10's of the band each and every year on tour!

The reunion holding together would have snowballed in ways I don't think we can even imagine. The thing falling apart has obviously snowballed to some degree as well. There are *even* ways to allow for it to fall apart and come out with everybody having a modicum of dignity, but they couldn't even muster that.

I guess The Beach Boys can't even break up correctly!  LOL

Even when the guys try to scrape together the next best thing and move on and do something artistically valid, like Brian is trying with NPP, now someone has to s**t on that for some reason? I mean, has anybody seen Brian busting on Mike's band? He doesn't even discuss it. Al does, but Al's comments are usually a case of kind of desperately wishing the whole band was together rather than what Mike's doing.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 04:18:40 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: February 27, 2015, 04:18:11 PM »

Surely it's time that someone closes and locks the doors on this thread.

I enjoy some Mike griping as much the next fan, but I'm getting tired of this nonsense.

Or, the sniping folks can take to PM or something.

I think discussing this *article*, rather than just Mike vis-à-vis Brian or whatever, is worth doing. If we can pick apart Wrecking Crew books and films and what's wrong with those, then I think this article can or should be discussed.

But maybe we are all discussed-out.  3D

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 27, 2015, 04:22:33 PM »

Even when the guys try to scrape together the next best thing and move on and do something artistically valid, like Brian is trying with NPP, now someone has to s**t on that for some reason? I mean, has anybody seen Brian busting on Mike's band? He doesn't even discuss it. Al does, but Al's comments are usually a case of kind of desperately wishing the whole band was together rather than what Mike's doing.

I don't think anyone is taking a dump on NPP.  Sure, Mike made the comment about autotune, but bunch of people here always complain/are concerned about that when it come to Joe T.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: February 27, 2015, 04:28:40 PM »

I don't think anyone is taking a dump on NPP.  Sure, Mike made the comment about autotune, but bunch of people here always complain/are concerned about that when it come to Joe T.

I didn't mean so much the autotune comment. I was speaking more about just turning the whole issue of the album's existence and it's press release into a venue for sniping (or baiting members to snipe).

I'm just astonished if this is really a case of David Beard getting rankled about one NPP review to the point of crafting more than one article that stirs the pot about something that isn't an issue, and going so far as to pull Mike Love into it. Not only is the "it could have been a Beach Boys album" thing not worth this degree of acrimony, the assertion itself isn't even false. This *could* have been a BB album. Saying so doesn't imply fault, regardless of whether a reviewer somewhere out there might think so. The press release for the album ascribed no fault to anybody about anything.

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 27, 2015, 04:31:00 PM »

The dysfunctional unit that can't get along for any length of time will continue to be a dysfunctional unit that can't get along for any length of time, even as septuagenarians. It's not going to be a storybook ending for these guys, but perhaps a fitting one.  'Sporadic Harmony' just doesn't have the same ring to it, but it's closer to the truth as we all know.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 04:33:41 PM by elnombre » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 27, 2015, 04:47:38 PM »

Another sterling Mike thread, real and imagined. Well done everybody. (slow clap)

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 27, 2015, 05:06:17 PM »

You do bitch about Mike. A lot.  It's kind of mean too.  He posted your pic at his show with a "Thanks Bossaroo"  and now you post it and make fun of him that he did that. He was having a bit of fun and you go and do that?  That is high school bullying and plain nasty. 

i really don't. in this thread, yes. but not all over this board.

high school bullying? I am bullying Mike Love? because I reposted the 'Thanks Bossaroo' picture? really??

he was having a bit of fun and so was I. the fact that Mike went searching through a thread called Weirdest Pics of Mike Love You Can Find and found one he liked, and actually put it on the big screen at his concert is pretty funny to me. whether he intended it to be funny is unclear, which makes it even funnier.

most people who have spent much time with Mike and Brian at certain points in the Beach Boys' career have described his dynamic with Brian as somewhat bullying and intimidating. perhaps even physical altercations provoked by Mike. if me posting a couple pictures on a message board is bullying Mike Love... fine. i'll take it.

I can stand the heat fine but am fed up with the BS. Because I respond to something YOU did say does not mean every statement in a post is directly talking about you. And you were way off topic days ago IN THIS THREAD when you made YOUR comments abut Mike making money ect. and that had NOTHING to do with how he handled the C50. Brian spent years doing nothing regarding the BB's and a guy named Landy drugged the hell out of him in an attempt to brainwash him into thinking he needed him to exist. If you find those facts disrespectful that's your hang up.

Mike's major complaint about the C50 tour was how much money it was costing, what a large and cumbersome show it was. not streamlined enough. too lavish. he found a way to mention it in almost every interview at the time. and as a result, he came across as overly concerned about money and expenses. even when it was all over he still couldn't shut up about it. mentioning Mike's preoccupation with money is dead-on topic.

and there you go again... "Brian spent years doing nothing"
what years were those exactly?
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 27, 2015, 05:20:06 PM »

AGD, Cam Mott, Pinder, Paul JB, and others are the great wall of kokomo. Mike can do no wrong with them despite shitting on the BBs name everytime he uses it in M&B.

Christ on a tandem but you do talk some absolute fucking nonsense: you should stop hanging around your fellow troll, his problems are rubbing off.
And you sir, not that I give a sh*t about your well being, should stop browning your nostrils with your fellow clown myKe luHv as his arrogance has shredded your thought process.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 27, 2015, 05:24:46 PM »

AGD, Cam Mott, Pinder, Paul JB, and others are the great wall of kokomo. Mike can do no wrong with them despite shitting on the BBs name everytime he uses it in M&B.
TELL IT LIKE IT IS!!!!   w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 27, 2015, 06:10:49 PM »

If you actually ever read a post on this board as opposed to trolling what thread would be an opportunity to jump in and take a jab at Mike, you would know I think Mike can and has done plenty of dumb things. I challenge the moderators to calculate the posts that you contribute to that have nothing to do with bashing Mike in comparison to the ones where you dig at Mike. It is blatant and TROLLING.

You hate Mike and we know that. Is it possible that you can now shut the hell up about it or do we need to be reminded by you day after day after day on this site?

I don't hate Mike. He might have flaws but we all do. He is Brian's cousin and a huge part of my favorite band ever.  You clowns that claim to be Beach Boys fans but bitch about Mike Love NON-STOP and are annoyed by songs like I Get Around really are a joke. Get a life...get a new band....or get help.

Or how about YOU looking for another board, huh? Last time I checked, opinions are, in fact, what this place is all about and without them conditions here would be quite boring. If anyone needs help, it may be you yourself in your pathetic defense of the luhvster. I have my opinion of him and will, as long as they allow me, state that opinion regardless of who takes issue with it. I may disapprove of who I choose with the understanding that some here may not like what I say. Did it ever cross your mind as to exactly WHY Love gets so much negative press here and at numerous other sites on the internet? Could it be that there may be valid reasons why people say what they do about him and not say... Carl, Al, Dennis or Brian?? Did you ever land on that godforsaken, barren, wasteland called the Mike Love Fan Club?? It's literally an outpost that is hugely ignored. Why? The man has been in show business for 52 years! I'd say it speaks volumes by it's lack of attention. So, if you don't like what you see here, move on, but knock off the crap you spew about having an opinion. Having one of those here is enough and one more in the mix is unnecessary.

wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: February 27, 2015, 06:14:46 PM »

So this is what you call makin' love.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 27, 2015, 06:24:38 PM »

If you actually ever read a post on this board as opposed to trolling what thread would be an opportunity to jump in and take a jab at Mike, you would know I think Mike can and has done plenty of dumb things. I challenge the moderators to calculate the posts that you contribute to that have nothing to do with bashing Mike in comparison to the ones where you dig at Mike. It is blatant and TROLLING.

You hate Mike and we know that. Is it possible that you can now shut the hell up about it or do we need to be reminded by you day after day after day on this site?

I don't hate Mike. He might have flaws but we all do. He is Brian's cousin and a huge part of my favorite band ever.  You clowns that claim to be Beach Boys fans but bitch about Mike Love NON-STOP and are annoyed by songs like I Get Around really are a joke. Get a life...get a new band....or get help.

Or how about YOU looking for another board, huh? Last time I checked, opinions are, in fact, what this place is all about and without them conditions here would be quite boring. If anyone needs help, it may be you yourself in your pathetic defense of the luhvster. I have my opinion of him and will, as long as they allow me, state that opinion regardless of who takes issue with it. I may disapprove of who I choose with the understanding that some here may not like what I say. Did it ever cross your mind as to exactly WHY Love gets so much negative press here and at numerous other sites on the internet? Could it be that there may be valid reasons why people say what they do about him and not say... Carl, Al, Dennis or Brian?? Did you ever land on that godforsaken, barren, wasteland called the Mike Love Fan Club?? It's literally an outpost that is hugely ignored. Why? The man has been in show business for 52 years! I'd say it speaks volumes by it's lack of attention. So, if you don't like what you see here, move on, but knock off the crap you spew about having an opinion. Having one of those here is enough and one more in the mix is unnecessary.

Just to be clear and fair, OSD: much if not MOST of the negativity about Mike on other sites is because of stuff posted by you!

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 27, 2015, 06:51:45 PM »

Nah, Mike had the bad rap back when OSD was playing PONG.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 27, 2015, 07:18:43 PM »

Just to be clear and fair, OSD: much if not MOST of the negativity about Mike on other sites is because of stuff posted by you!

Pinder, even you know that's BS. For example-read the last L & M review posted here. If that doesn't do it for you, go to the "Why I Hate Mike Love" site. Yes! A site fully devoted to how much of an asshole Mike Love is. One of quite a few. There's your clear and fair. Youtube? I'm just one of many.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 27, 2015, 07:21:33 PM »

You mean when his grandkids were playing PONG
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 27, 2015, 07:29:37 PM »

And it's not a matter of Myke Luv being a great guy or bad person that's the point .... It's the extent to which some of you obssess over it while ignoring some awful stuff a guy like Dennis did while in the same band ... Someone blew off my Stones comparison earlier but can you just imagine if Mike said Brian had a small penis in print??? ... Actually, I can imagine because you all react as though he has said such a thing ....

Point is: can some of us accept Mike for being a flawed human being yet still love his band and be fans of his work? Yes! And it is extremely easy .... The bullying and sociopathic hatred is what must be truly hard.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: February 27, 2015, 07:40:05 PM »

Point is: can some of us accept Mike for being a flawed human being yet still love his band and be fans of his work? Yes! And it is extremely easy .... The bullying and sociopathic hatred is what must be truly hard.

I'm with you on this one. To be perfectly frank, this interview was not one of Mike's shining moments, and that's being kind. My bullshit detector was firing off like a guy on viagra watching porn. That said, I find it amazing how anybody can only see things in black and white, and can be so biased to the point where it comes across as an unhealthy negative obsession. Truth be told, I'm pretty much on 'team Brian' so to speak, but I don't let that color my views. If someone deserves praise or is unfairly maligned, I call it out. Likewise, if someone deserves criticism, I call it out too. Not to bring politics into this too much, but it's no different than the arguments between supporters of the Democrats or Republicans. Everything is so one sided, logic and reason goes out the window. I honestly find it sickening, but not nearly as much as how fans of the same band can be complete assholes to each other.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 27, 2015, 08:01:56 PM »

Hey PGTKABA! I resemble that remark! LOL

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 27, 2015, 08:42:07 PM »

Hey PGTKABA! I resemble that remark! LOL

You mean you were actually there to see Plymouth Rock roll over?? Razz
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: February 27, 2015, 09:56:47 PM »

Well, when he was a wee lad, the Dead Sea was merely sick

LOL
 My wife used that one on me :D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 10:19:50 PM by ♩♬ Billy C ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
lastofmykind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 27, 2015, 10:23:49 PM »

Threads like this kill the spirit of the music we all love.  We all have opinions and views of past and current happenings, but we never seem to remember a few things.  99 percent of us base our opinions on at best second hand information, and the 1 percent that know the real inner workings will likely never spill the beans.  Getting back to my point, regardless of what side of the fence you lean towards, I think we could all agree it has stopped being about the music a long time ago.  Why don't we make it about the music again? 
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 27, 2015, 10:28:00 PM »

Well, when he was a wee lad, the Dead Sea was merely sick

LOL
 My wife used that one on me :D

He was around long before the Love hereditary hairline went south!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 27, 2015, 10:32:04 PM »

Threads like this kill the spirit of the music we all love.  We all have opinions and views of past and current happenings, but we never seem to remember a few things.  99 percent of us base our opinions on at best second hand information, and the 1 percent that know the real inner workings will likely never spill the beans.  Getting back to my point, regardless of what side of the fence you lean towards, I think we could all agree it has stopped being about the music a long time ago.  Why don't we make it about the music again?  

I think I can fairly speak for a lot of us here in that, regardless of what "camp" you're in, the people involved in creating this music, and their stories are a big reason why the music as a whole grabs us and resonates/takes on even greater meaning than merely on it's own merit .... That and the amount of cultural cache the music has claimed .... It is very very difficult to approach The Beach Boys music on face value alone.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 10:33:45 PM by Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: February 27, 2015, 11:07:06 PM »

Threads like this kill the spirit of the music we all love.  We all have opinions and views of past and current happenings, but we never seem to remember a few things.  99 percent of us base our opinions on at best second hand information, and the 1 percent that know the real inner workings will likely never spill the beans.  Getting back to my point, regardless of what side of the fence you lean towards, I think we could all agree it has stopped being about the music a long time ago.  Why don't we make it about the music again? 
I'm with you. I always try to focus on that, even though it can be difficult at times. At the end of the day, for me it's about the glorious music

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 28, 2015, 12:26:51 AM »

At last.

Normally I suggest we all head to t'pub for a beer/ soda/ coffee… but there's a sign outside says "no coaches" (not that Coach I hasten to add!).

Maybe the milk parlour down the road?

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx