gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680895 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 04, 2024, 01:16:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike opens up about Melinda.  (Read 66475 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 18, 2016, 08:19:35 PM »

Back on topic and I have just received Mike's book.  The parts I read were full of inconsistencies and offensive comments towards Brian and Melinda.  Nothing I didn't expect unfortunately.
This is fair thing to say, especially in light of people defending Mike endlessly, saying the book is great despite what he said about his cousin's wife. As if fans don't care big time, let Mike say bad things about Melinda? As respect for Brian, at least, he shouldn't have mentioned her, the little incident during C50 etc. as we found it's very little reason for him to wish to quit the reunion shows plus as many stated, the pitch correction device can't be placed to the mic. I'm going with the experts. I will agree too with posts in this topic that it's strange for fans to be bothered by Melinda dealing with business, when Jacquelyne is involved in Mike's business too. They must be treated equally. Thanks for giving your honest take on Mike's book, Mr. donn.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 19, 2016, 12:39:42 AM »

Back on topic and I have just received Mike's book.  The parts I read were full of inconsistencies and offensive comments towards Brian and Melinda.  Nothing I didn't expect unfortunately.
This is fair thing to say, especially in light of people defending Mike endlessly, saying the book is great despite what he said about his cousin's wife. As if fans don't care big time, let Mike say bad things about Melinda? As respect for Brian, at least, he shouldn't have mentioned her, the little incident during C50 etc. as we found it's very little reason for him to wish to quit the reunion shows plus as many stated, the pitch correction device can't be placed to the mic. I'm going with the experts. I will agree too with posts in this topic that it's strange for fans to be bothered by Melinda dealing with business, when Jacquelyne is involved in Mike's business too. They must be treated equally. Thanks for giving your honest take on Mike's book, Mr. donn.

No problem! Smiley. I just don't know if I can read anymore of it!  Hopefully the early chapters might be more balanced.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 12:40:11 AM by mikeddonn » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: September 19, 2016, 06:21:15 AM »

actually you can't mess with Mike either, judging from his reaction to being told he has a chip on his shoulder. he stomped away like a child and threw a tantrum threatening to walk out on the reunion before it really even started. it's amazing that he expects sympathy from this story. does he really not see what a huge brat he paints himself to be?

Not only that, but once rehearsals have begun and shows have been booked, I really question how plausible it is that he'd actually quit the tour. Heads would freaking roll big time for anyone who walked on such a tour. Maybe if *one* member had walked, the contracts would have allowed for *any* four Beach Boys to be on stage. But I still think Mike could have potentially been sued like nobody has been sued before if he had just walked after signing to do the tour.

Further, does anyone really think that Mike would have allowed a lineup *without* him to do a tour as "The Beach Boys?"

Not only does Mike's own account indeed paint him to be as immature and dysfunctional as he seems to want to paint others to be, but it also seems all bark and no bite in terms of the plausibility of his actual supposed threat to walk away from the tour.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: September 19, 2016, 06:53:41 AM »

I haven't read in full the C50 section of the book yet, but it also also appears based on quotes and reports that Mike confirms in the book that there was an actual agreement that Brian would be the "studio" guy and that Mike would be in charge of the "tour" side of things artistically. Further, Mike describes drawing up the setlist himself.

While I understand the political need to throw Mike that rather large bone to get the tour to happen, I'd say it's pretty ironic that Mike doesn't see any problem with not having other members of the band have any particular say in the setlist. Mike drawing up songs that work for the reunion band? It was mostly Brian's band; had Mike ever even listened to a recording of Brian's band prior to C50?

This does explain Al's public comment just prior to the tour starting that he would have to "ask" Mike to include a given song in the setlist. This might also help explain Jason Fine's characterization in Rolling Stone of Mike's reaction to Brian suggesting "Marcella" a few weeks into the tour. I wouldn't be surprised if Mike just assumed it was Melinda's idea to add the song just to f**k with Mike.

I'd also like to know if, by the last two UK shows, if Brian and/or Melinda just told Mike "F**k you, we're closing with "Summer's Gone"", because I can't particularly imagine (given Mike's reaction in Rolling Stone to the album's ending song suite) that Mike would want to do "Summer's Gone" at all, let alone close the show with it on a downbeat note instead of closing with "Fun Fun Fun" or whatever.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 06:55:22 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: September 19, 2016, 07:09:59 AM »

What could also be clarified or followed up, alongside the autotune issues and attaching the devices to mics, would be exactly what did Mike have issues with in these setlist constructions to cause such a reaction? Were fans happy with the setlists that they did get to hear on C50? I'd say, yes - and perhaps if a poll were taken it may be 99 to 1 that the setlists struck a good balance of the hits, the deep cuts, the new album cuts, and also showcases for each band member to do his thing.

The clarification would be a question such as "What songs did Mike object to, and what did he want to do instead?" Was it some of the Smile-related material, was it as HeyJude just suggested Summers Gone or any of the material along those lines, or was it songs that Mike would have rather put into the set?

If it were a case of putting in cover songs over originals, when you have those 5 guys on stage together in such a monumental event, I don't see where the benefit would be any more than putting in stuff from Mike's solo albums or even Brian's solo albums. It was a Beach Boys show, right?

So what did Mike want and what did he want to cut, and what caused him to react as he did over the setlists? More specifics may help paint a better picture of some of these comments.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 19, 2016, 07:14:09 AM »

I remember Mike vetoing surf's up and H&V in the SMiLE arrangement.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 19, 2016, 07:16:21 AM »

Then playing surf's up with M&B to stick it to BW.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: September 19, 2016, 08:29:40 AM »

I don't remember that, but maybe it's just me. I remember though, that it's been said, that Mike was unhappy about "Our prayer" being added

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 19, 2016, 08:40:43 AM »

Didn't myKe write and record the autobiographical "Tooting My Own Horn"? I swear I've heard it quite a few times but only the disco version in mono.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 19, 2016, 09:07:46 AM »

actually you can't mess with Mike either, judging from his reaction to being told he has a chip on his shoulder. he stomped away like a child and threw a tantrum threatening to walk out on the reunion before it really even started. it's amazing that he expects sympathy from this story. does he really not see what a huge brat he paints himself to be?

She may have asked for The Butterfly, but she got The Switchblade

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: September 19, 2016, 09:13:33 AM »

Didn't myKe write and record the autobiographical "Tooting My Own Horn"? I swear I've heard it quite a few times but only the disco version in mono.

LOL
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: September 19, 2016, 09:23:08 AM »

Do you think we'll ever get a follow up or a clarification on some of these points and apparent contradictions? On the setlist point alone, it would go a long way to clarify what songs or what changes Mike objected so strongly to which almost led to him walking. On the autotune devices issue, that one speaks for itself, but how did that claim come to appear in his book if it seems so unlikely if not improbable on the surface? And the issue of the CBS This Morning video getting pulled down, there was an apparent contradiction between the people involved as told in the book versus as told by Mike on CBS, then the video disappears from CBS' website while other segments from the same show remain up and available to watch.

There has to be some follow up, I'd like to think at least.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 09:23:50 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 19, 2016, 09:34:07 AM »

I don't remember that, but maybe it's just me. I remember though, that it's been said, that Mike was unhappy about "Our prayer" being added

This one I don't understand. It's...what...a minute long? It's not really crazy and esoteric. It's super impressive but it's not something that's gonna have people running for the restrooms. I don't get why it'd be a bad idea to do.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 19, 2016, 10:33:25 AM »

Someone who went to the Southend on Sea show spoke to Al and posted on FB that Al had said they'd worked on Surf's Up. I hope this is true - I would love to see Brian and his band do this again, reclaiming it after M&B did it.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 19, 2016, 10:59:25 AM »

Thumbs Up

[/quote

Grin
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: September 19, 2016, 11:15:18 AM »

Someone who went to the Southend on Sea show spoke to Al and posted on FB that Al had said they'd worked on Surf's Up. I hope this is true - I would love to see Brian and his band do this again, reclaiming it after M&B did it.

I believe they did it last year after Mike's band had done it. It survived for some 2015 shows. I think on one of the band members mentioned Brian tends to not like doing "Surf's Up" and "Busy Doin' Nothin'" because they're so verbose. Not that he dislikes the songs, but I basically got the sense that he feels like it's kind of a pain in the ass to sing them with all those words.

But I could picture them putting the song back in for some shows.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: September 19, 2016, 11:32:34 AM »

Do you think we'll ever get a follow up or a clarification on some of these points and apparent contradictions?

Only if someone who knows his sh!t will get an interview with Mike. I don't know how probable that is.

This one I don't understand. It's...what...a minute long? It's not really crazy and esoteric. It's super impressive but it's not something that's gonna have people running for the restrooms. I don't get why it'd be a bad idea to do.

Well, let's not forget, that they did it. It was just that I remember reading that Mike wasn't happy with that. I don't think closer details were mentioned. Maybe he just wasn't in the mood that particular day.

I believe they did it last year after Mike's band had done it. It survived for some 2015 shows. I think on one of the band members mentioned Brian tends to not like doing "Surf's Up" and "Busy Doin' Nothin'" because they're so verbose. Not that he dislikes the songs, but I basically got the sense that he feels like it's kind of a pain in the ass to sing them with all those words.

But I could picture them putting the song back in for some shows.

They did it with Jeff Beck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp1y1H-n_TI

And yes, also in 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RYgNsWMIzs

(Soundcheck)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 19, 2016, 11:53:35 AM »

That Mike Love's wife is listed in the business filings for his company is most probably for tax purposes, namely to keep them as low as possible and keep control within the family.  That is not the same as someone actively making important decisions about how a band tours, how the show is presented and how they go about recording an album.  I doubt that Mike Love's wife is an active decision maker for his band, other than sharing her opinions with him about the band.  I suspect that on Brian's side of things, his wife is quite active and assertive in the running of his operations.  Various comments that are posted on this board from time to time seem to confirm this.  That Mike Love found it difficult, ultimately unacceptable, that he would have to deal with a band member's wife after years of calling the shots, a woman with no background in the music industry, I can understand his irritation at that.  I completely disagree with the decision Mike Love made to end the BB's in 2012, but recognize that on Brian's side of things they gave him plenty of reasons to go the way he did.      
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 12:23:26 PM by urbanite » Logged
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 19, 2016, 12:00:29 PM »

Read the book and you'll learn about her role in Mike's band
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 19, 2016, 12:19:18 PM »

I do hope that's covered, although I haven't seen it.  Although FdP is no more here to derail threads, why don't I beat the feminist drum here?

I've always been under the impression that she's quite actively involved in Mike's operations.  Am I wrong?  Or did the book not cover it?

I'm thinking that there may be a few businesses under the umbrella of MELCO?  Who profits from merchandise? Who books Mike's tour operations with the subsequent fees?  I wouldn't know, but it would have probably been a good business plan for maximizing profits from the BBs brand/music to include such options and more.

Does the book address this?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 12:21:34 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 19, 2016, 12:35:58 PM »

I will read the book when it becomes available at the library.  Since you've read it, what was/is Jacqueline's role?     
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 19, 2016, 01:57:43 PM »

I do hope that's covered, although I haven't seen it.  Although FdP is no more here to derail threads, why don't I beat the feminist drum here?

I've always been under the impression that she's quite actively involved in Mike's operations.  Am I wrong?  Or did the book not cover it?

I'm thinking that there may be a few businesses under the umbrella of MELCO?  Who profits from merchandise? Who books Mike's tour operations with the subsequent fees?  I wouldn't know, but it would have probably been a good business plan for maximizing profits from the BBs brand/music to include such options and more.

Does the book address this?

The impression I got from reading the book is that Jacquelyne calls the shots!  It was her decision to trim the touring band and cut the costs.  I also got the impression she would have been the one who told some people they were no longer required.  I think that may have been alluded to in the past in this board by friends of disgruntled former members.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 19, 2016, 05:09:01 PM »

The Beach Boys were/are band with brothers and a cousin, with a father/uncle for a manager, then later a cousin/brother as a manager, and another brother/cousin and, separately a cousin, as "handlers," with nieces, nephews, sons and daughters performing on stage with the band, with a sister/cousin performing as harpist on recordings, with a wife and in-laws doing vocals on recordings, and a wife having power of attorney for a time, sitting in as substitute for a band member on business decisions.

Given all this, are you really discussing whether a wife involved with management should be considered offensive/irritating/inappropriate?
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 19, 2016, 05:16:30 PM »

Poor Brian. That he managed to do anything good in such a milieu, let alone what he actually did, is nothing short of a miracle.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 05:22:59 PM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 19, 2016, 05:38:33 PM »

Why do you say that?  I understand that he had pressures to write and produce hit records when he was young, but compared to most, where there is finding a job, trying to make enough money to make the house payment, groceries, tuition, etc., he had it easy.  His problem was mental illness and lacking a doctor to properly diagnose and treat it, and drugs.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx