gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 12:15:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al joining Mike and Bruce for Jones Beach show  (Read 183159 times)
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: June 20, 2014, 11:42:06 AM »

From FB:
Al Jardine
9 minutes ago
Despite some reports to the contrary, I am not touring with Mike Love and the Beach Boys this summer. I will, however, be joining Brian Wilson on July 4th in Cork, Ireland and July 5th at the Hop Farm Music Festival in Kent, England. I'm also planning to go out with my own band later this year. Thanks for all your support, Al

Gohi
« Reply #176 on: June 20, 2014, 11:44:13 AM »

Kind of disappointed that Al couldn't do this one show. Really lame of him.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: June 20, 2014, 11:48:22 AM »

This certainly makes much more sense. With Matt joining Brian’s band, and Al having played last year, I figured it was at least moderately likely that Al would appear again with Brian in some form, AGD’s predictions notwithstanding.

I’m wondering where the break down occurred with Al and Mike on the Jones Beach gig. I’m less concerned about that one show and more concerned that Al’s non-appearance will be either the cause or a result of a more harsh splintering between the two. However much I’m not a big fan of Mike having given up on the reunion, I’d rather see he and Al and all of the guys on good terms.

I wonder what the conversations about this show were like between Mike and Al. If it really had as much or more to do with sagging ticket sales (e.g. add more “original” members to try to sell more tickets for this one show), maybe Al didn’t like that idea? Pure guessing of course. I can’t imagine Al would take too kindly to a one-time invitation to be in his own band. Al did do the one-off gig with Mike in early 2011, but I think Al had more motivation to do that, as it clearly was a precursor to seeing if they could reunite. If Al knows Mike doesn’t want to reunite again, and the offer to play with Mike’s band is just a one-time thing, maybe that isn’t too appealing.

I would presume David will still be with Mike at this show. I wonder what future Brian dates hold. Will Al be at those dates? What are David’s plans?

It would be funny if Brian’s team were pissed about Mike poaching Foskett (I know, the timeline suggests this didn’t happen), so they poached Al from the Jones Beach show.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 11:57:50 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: June 20, 2014, 11:51:20 AM »

From FB:
Al Jardine
9 minutes ago
Despite some reports to the contrary, I am not touring with Mike Love and the Beach Boys this summer. I will, however, be joining Brian Wilson on July 4th in Cork, Ireland and July 5th at the Hop Farm Music Festival in Kent, England. I'm also planning to go out with my own band later this year. Thanks for all your support, Al

Hrmmm. This suggests Al may not be doing those October gigs with Brian. I was hoping the two July gigs might mean Al was going to do more beyond that. I guess Al could do a Brian tour and his own tour as well.

I’m actually most interested in Al actually doing his own tour with his own band.  I hope this doesn’t meant a half dozen “Endless Summer Band” gigs at some fairs, but actual full “solo” shows with interesting setlists and a good band. It would never happen, but Al essentially “opening” for Brian could actually be a cool idea.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 20, 2014, 11:52:19 AM »

Well.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: June 20, 2014, 11:55:11 AM »

Kind of disappointed that Al couldn't do this one show. Really lame of him.

I’m not ready to blame someone other than Al, but we have no idea what the circumstances were behind this gig. We don’t know what Al was offered, nor what he accepted. Clearly, there was a plan for him to play. What that offer entailed, we do not know, nor do we know why the plan changed.

If it was just going to be Al sitting in with Mike’s band and taking two or three leads, I’m not sure how interesting that would have been anyway. If people bought tickets specifically because Al was going to be there (implying Mike’s own band wasn’t enough of a draw for those particular fans), then it’s up to whomever promoted the show to take the blame assuming Al didn’t violate any legal agreement to do the show.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t tend to buy tickets to Mike’s shows. But if a show near me had been billed as including Al, I probably would have been curious enough to buy tickets. If Al then dropped out, I’d be interested to know who is to blame; and I’d be *really* conflicted about whether to attend or ask for a refund.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 11:56:45 AM by HeyJude » Logged

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 20, 2014, 12:07:48 PM »

angel
From FB:
Al Jardine
9 minutes ago

I guess AGD needs to get some better insider contacts.  Grin

Edit: ha, ha on me. Oops. Yeah, that kinda puts the kabosh on Jones Beach.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 12:22:56 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: June 20, 2014, 12:16:38 PM »

From FB:
Al Jardine
9 minutes ago

Seriously, Al says he isn't touring with the BBs. Still leaves the door open for Jones Beach though that now sounds like a no because Al didn't confirm it.

Jones Beach is also on July 5

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 20, 2014, 12:22:04 PM »

What is wrong with Al?  I'm sorry, but if you allow a promoter to use your name for a show, you should show up for it.  I don't get him. If he hates Mike, then don't agree to do the show or even open talks about it to begin with. Matt Jardine is also a big boy and doesn't need his daddy around for support.
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 20, 2014, 12:24:04 PM »

As The World Turns...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 12:25:11 PM by SonoraDick » Logged
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: June 20, 2014, 12:24:59 PM »

What is wrong with Al?  I'm sorry, but if you allow a promoter to use your name for a show, you should show up for it.  I don't get him. If he hates Mike, then don't agree to do the show or even open talks about it to begin with. Matt Jardine is also a big boy and doesn't need his daddy around for support.

Sounds like Mike announced him appearing without him ever signing a contract agreeing to it. Not his problem if they announced it without a legal agreement with him

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 20, 2014, 12:28:39 PM »

What is wrong with Al?  I'm sorry, but if you allow a promoter to use your name for a show, you should show up for it.  I don't get him. If he hates Mike, then don't agree to do the show or even open talks about it to begin with. Matt Jardine is also a big boy and doesn't need his daddy around for support.

We don't know that Al had agreed to do the show. Recent reports indicate the contrary and that Mike jumped the gun. Bottom line, another typical BB screw-up. It would have been great for Brian, Al and David to appear with Mike and Bruce for a show this summer.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 20, 2014, 12:30:33 PM »

I wonder what the conversations about this show were like between Mike and Al. If it really had as much or more to do with sagging ticket sales (e.g. add more “original” members to try to sell more tickets for this one show), maybe Al didn’t like that idea?

And, of course, Brian and hiswifeandmanagers would never do that...
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: June 20, 2014, 12:44:27 PM »

From FB:
Al Jardine
9 minutes ago

Seriously, Al says he isn't touring with the BBs. Still leaves the door open for Jones Beach though that now sounds like a no because Al didn't confirm it.

Jones Beach is also on July 5

LOL   Looks like that open door has been slammed shut.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: June 20, 2014, 12:45:10 PM »

Those crazy Beach Boys, huh ? Still plenty of time for Alan to change his mind for the third (fourth ?) time... and appear with no-one at all.  Grin
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 12:53:14 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 20, 2014, 12:46:44 PM »

Al's name was on the show poster, advertised directly to people via Ticketmaster e-mail, and the gig was promoted in "Rolling Stone" magazine. If Al had a time to speak up, it was then, which was weeks ago. There's really no excuse for Al's behavior in this. He should have said something before more people bought tickets to it. Instead, he remained completely silent for weeks. The Beach Boys should allow refunds to any ticket buyers who bought based on Al being there. And Al should apologize for not speaking up much, much sooner.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: June 20, 2014, 12:48:25 PM »

If there is an opening for a guest artist at the Jones Beach gig since Al will be in the UK, maybe someone could call the surviving members of the Fat Boys, that could be a helluva reunion.   Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 20, 2014, 12:50:23 PM »

Is Adam Jardine busy?
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 20, 2014, 12:53:39 PM »

Al's name was on the show poster, advertised directly to people via Ticketmaster e-mail, and the gig was promoted in "Rolling Stone" magazine. If Al had a time to speak up, it was then, which was weeks ago. There's really no excuse for Al's behavior in this. He should have said something before more people bought tickets to it. Instead, he remained completely silent for weeks. The Beach Boys should allow refunds to any ticket buyers who bought based on Al being there. And Al should apologize for not speaking up much, much sooner.

There was clearly more stuff going on behind the scenes that might not have allowed for such a statement until now. Let's wait until more information trickles out before tarring and feathering either Mike or Al.

This from the guy that started the thread... Smiley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: June 20, 2014, 12:54:24 PM »

There was clearly more stuff going on behind the scenes that might not have allowed for such a statement until now.

Roll Eyes

Maybe Alan can do Brian's show, and Brian can play with Mike. You heard it here first.  Grin
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 12:56:24 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 20, 2014, 12:56:40 PM »

Mike and Al are at it again. 3D

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: June 20, 2014, 01:03:09 PM »

What is wrong with Al?  I'm sorry, but if you allow a promoter to use your name for a show, you should show up for it.  I don't get him. If he hates Mike, then don't agree to do the show or even open talks about it to begin with. Matt Jardine is also a big boy and doesn't need his daddy around for support.

But you’re just making assumptions, obviously. We don’t know who agreed to what, or when. Maybe Al spent the last few weeks getting lawyers to address the use of his name for a show he didn’t sign on to do. How would we know? Maybe they jumped the gun in advertising Al, and Al hadn’t decided for sure whether he was going to do it, and spent the last few weeks trying to work something out.

Or maybe Al agreed to do it and then just backed out, but hadn’t signed anything agreeing to it. But I can’t imagine all those “Mike did all the shows in 2012 he contractually agreed to” folks would then flip flop and criticize Al for not appearing at a show he didn’t even sign a contract to do, would they?

As far as refunds, I would imagine that the venue/promoter may well possibly agree to give refunds to those who ask. What they will probably find is a small percentage of people who bought tickets just because Al was there, and are so indifferent to Mike’s band otherwise that they would not still go see him. This is probably part of the reason Mike doesn’t have Al back in the band; it’s the “Beach Boys” name that sells the tickets, not the member names, especially when it’s not billed as five core members on an anniversary tour.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 01:14:39 PM by HeyJude » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: June 20, 2014, 01:04:51 PM »

There was clearly more stuff going on behind the scenes that might not have allowed for such a statement until now. Let's wait until more information trickles out before tarring and feathering either Mike or Al.

This from the guy that started the thread... Smiley

What more needs to trickle out, apart from maybe a clarification if Al had signed an agreement to do the gig? If Al had signed anything resembling a written agreement to do the show, and he pulled out after his involvement was sold to consumers buying tickets to the event, he'd be at the least in breach of contract and could rightfully be on the hook financially for that broken agreement. If the companies promoting this show went ahead and advertised Al on the bill, and Al had not signed anything agreeing to it, that's on those promoters...and if fans bought tickets to see Al at the show, they're on the hook to any fans who might feel ripped off.

Only in Beach Boys land, right?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: June 20, 2014, 01:05:49 PM »

There was clearly more stuff going on behind the scenes that might not have allowed for such a statement until now.

Roll Eyes

Maybe Alan can do Brian's show, and Brian can play with Mike. You heard it here first.  Grin

What’s the time zone difference? Can Al pull a Phil Collins?

I know… In reaction, Mike will be adding Blondie Chaplin. Then Brian will add Ricky Fataar. Mike will then take Ed Carter From Al’s band, Randell Kirsche will go back to Papa Doo Run Run, which means Adrian Baker will be in, ummm, Al’s band?

Or  Joe Thomas will be replacing everybody with Sade’s backing band, you know, to get that sexy Sade sound?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 01:14:07 PM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: June 20, 2014, 01:07:56 PM »

I wonder what the conversations about this show were like between Mike and Al. If it really had as much or more to do with sagging ticket sales (e.g. add more “original” members to try to sell more tickets for this one show), maybe Al didn’t like that idea?

And, of course, Brian and hiswifeandmanagers would never do that...

Of course they probably do. But when they ask for Al to join, they aren’t asking him to re-join his own band (for apparently one night to boot), a band he was in for years and wanted to keep together after 2012. Right or wrong, maybe those things weigh on Al’s decision making in a different way.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 37 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx