gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680964 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 08:30:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: More About Brian/ Beck and New Album.  (Read 110053 times)
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: April 25, 2014, 02:50:49 AM »

If Brian could sing anywhere near as well as Paul can now it would be incredible. Imagine if Brian's 60s voice was essentially in tact, just a bit croaker and with slightly reduced range. Because that's basically the case with Paul. And Paul still has a sweet falsetto, although that's not what he's known for.

If you asked Paul to go back and record Here There and Everywhere or Eleanor Rigby, I'm pretty sure that if he rested his voice and really tried he could do a damn good job.

Ask Brian to re-record stuff from his prime... Well BWPS is your answer. It's fine but sounds very little like the original. I know he has improved since then but it's still a world apart.

Having said that I still love listening to Brian, but he has basically destroyed his voice and learnt to sing all over again.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 25, 2014, 08:34:07 AM »

The setlist itself is one of the best parts; he covers so much ground and balances Beatles, Wings and solo Macca songs perfectly.
Completely disagree! The setlist is very unbalanced. 23 Beatles songs out of 37. 62% of the show from 15% of his career. Only 6 songs from the last 40 years of his career, of which 4 are from his last album.
And that's pretty much the story since Macca started touring again in 1989. He does a Beatles heavy show because he believes that's what people want.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 25, 2014, 10:06:37 AM »

Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles …

We got it now…

“We live in divisive times.”
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 25, 2014, 10:30:19 AM »

No, it's just a compare and contrast between Paul and Brian. Perhaps an unfair comparison, because Brian's voice has been shot for years. Brian's voice is like sand-blasted jeans with tiny, carefully crafted holes. They wear well and are comfy and some like the distressed denim look. Paul is more like slowly faded jeans.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 25, 2014, 01:04:05 PM »

Andrew, have you had a private concert?  Which part is the high 'C' in Surf's Up?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 25, 2014, 01:08:26 PM »

Andrew, have you had a private concert?  Which part is the high 'C' in Surf's Up?

He's confused, Brian drank "High C" during a concert one time in 2003 and there was this huge mixup over it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 01:10:37 PM by Please Hurt My Older Brother! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 25, 2014, 01:25:40 PM »

Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles Beatles …

We got it now…
Yeah, I'm sick of it, too.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #457 on: April 25, 2014, 02:40:47 PM »

OK, I'm no muso - I used "high C" as a generic term for "the really insanely high bit in the chorus".  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 25, 2014, 02:52:31 PM »

Had to jump in and correct AGD. It's high F.
Wow, that'll never happen again.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 25, 2014, 03:13:01 PM »

Oasis were better than the Beatles.

Oh. No. Now you dun dun it!

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 25, 2014, 04:06:36 PM »

He's confused, Brian drank "High C" during a concert one time in 2003 and there was this huge mixup over it.

No, he meant brian enjoyes sailing the "high sea"

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #461 on: April 25, 2014, 11:19:36 PM »

Had to jump in and correct AGD. It's high F.
Wow, that'll never happen again.

Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 25, 2014, 11:27:10 PM »

May I point out that in 2012, Brian wasn't carrying the weight of the show ?

Brian, you're gonna carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
Brian, you're gonna carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time..........

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 26, 2014, 12:41:58 AM »

The mix-up was over "Tang", not "High C"

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 26, 2014, 07:11:21 AM »

Thank you for clarifying Andrew, I was doubting my own ears there, even after playing it on the piano!  I'd love to hear Brian sing that one like the old days.  IMHO possibly the best vocal moment in a Beach Boys song is that "columnated ruins domino" line in the Surf's Up demo.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: April 26, 2014, 08:35:00 AM »

The setlist itself is one of the best parts; he covers so much ground and balances Beatles, Wings and solo Macca songs perfectly.
Completely disagree! The setlist is very unbalanced. 23 Beatles songs out of 37. 62% of the show from 15% of his career. Only 6 songs from the last 40 years of his career, of which 4 are from his last album.

That sounds eerily similar to a band I listen to called The Beach Boys. Based on the Torrington setlist posted recently, 39 songs total, 27 of the songs from a five year period ('62-66) out of a 50+ year career. It could always be better. I think Mike and Paul are both in the same boat of playing what they think the majority of their audience want to hear.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 26, 2014, 12:51:04 PM »

The difference being that Macca had loads of top ten - even number 1 - hits after 1970; the Beach Boys, only a few.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 26, 2014, 01:46:41 PM »

That sounds eerily similar to a band I listen to called The Beach Boys. Based on the Torrington setlist posted recently, 39 songs total, 27 of the songs from a five year period ('62-66) out of a 50+ year career. It could always be better. I think Mike and Paul are both in the same boat of playing what they think the majority of their audience want to hear.

Brian's setlists aren't usually much better. They need to get back to moar hardcore rarties like "Danny Boy" mother f*cker sick bro

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 26, 2014, 05:13:10 PM »

The difference being that Macca had loads of top ten - even number 1 - hits after 1970; the Beach Boys, only a few.

McCartney managed his highly successful WINGS OVER AMERICA tour in 76 with just a handful of Beatle classics. When I saw him in 2002, the distribution (if memory serves) was maybe 60% Beatles 30% Wings 10% new or relatively new. It was a great concert!
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 26, 2014, 09:03:39 PM »

Oasis were better than the Beatles.

Klattu were better than Oasis.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 26, 2014, 10:10:16 PM »

If Brian could sing anywhere near as well as Paul can now it would be incredible. Imagine if Brian's 60s voice was essentially in tact, just a bit croaker and with slightly reduced range. Because that's basically the case with Paul. And Paul still has a sweet falsetto, although that's not what he's known for.

I agree, but I'll also point out that in my opinion, Paul sounded horrible on the 'tripping the live fantastic' album.  It was like he had forgotten all the technique involved in singing, everything sounded like a really bad broadway play.  Sounds great since, though.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 26, 2014, 11:21:05 PM »

McCartney managed his highly successful WINGS OVER AMERICA tour in 76 with just a handful of Beatle classics. When I saw him in 2002, the distribution (if memory serves) was maybe 60% Beatles 30% Wings 10% new or relatively new. It was a great concert!
That's the difference. In '76, Macca was the leader of a very successful band, their records were getting played on mainstream radio constantly. Today is much different - can you imagine Paul getting away with playing only 5 Beatles songs in a show today, and sticking mostly to songs from his last 3 albums? No way. The crowds aren't coming to hear "New" songs from him, they want to hear the Beatles stuff - it's the closest most of them will ever get to seeing the Beatles in concert.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 27, 2014, 12:08:08 AM »

Plus you've got to remember there was that weird, dark period in human history from the late 70's until the late 80's where the Beatles were kind of out of style. 

bluesno1fann
« Reply #473 on: April 27, 2014, 12:18:12 AM »

That's the difference. In '76, Macca was the leader of a very successful band, their records were getting played on mainstream radio constantly. Today is much different - can you imagine Paul getting away with playing only 5 Beatles songs in a show today, and sticking mostly to songs from his last 3 albums? No way. The crowds aren't coming to hear "New" songs from him, they want to hear the Beatles stuff - it's the closest most of them will ever get to seeing the Beatles in concert.

It'd be great if McCartney could play Beatles songs for 1/3 of his set, Wings songs for 1/3, and his non-Wings Solo songs for the last 1/3.

But that won't happen as the fans (understandably) are mainly interested in the Beatles songs.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 27, 2014, 08:05:32 AM »

I don't know if this is about work on BW solo material or something else - but nevertheless: Brian and some gal called Kacey Musgraves.

Getting to work with one of my musical heroes - the one and only Brian Wilson. So honored. Sweet man.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx