gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680898 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 06, 2024, 05:51:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 1978 Australian/New Zealand tour  (Read 2480 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2009, 07:50:10 PM »

I was wondering if anybody could post pictures from the 1978 Australian and New Zealand tour. Particularly of Carl. Does anybody have any pictures from the "infamous" show where Carl fell down on stage and was booted off untill Good Vibrations?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jason
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 10:32:14 PM »

"HELP ME OUT WITH THE HIGH NOTE!!!!!"

- Carl, live in Sydney in '78.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 11:06:22 PM »

"HELP ME OUT WITH THE HIGH NOTE!!!!!"

- Carl, live in Sydney in '78.
The funny thing is that he called on Brian to help....hitting a high note.  Grin

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 05:27:55 AM »

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 09:50:38 AM by Dr. Lenny » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 05:31:30 AM »

OCA is interesting in that Brian's voice sounds old, cracky and forced, and YET quite athletic! He's singing these intricate tunes and harmonies, hitting the highest notes he's sung since then. He sounds pretty confident also.

Regarding "Hold back time", that's Brian + Danny Hutton. And reportedly, a rough take was used for the album instead of the correct one.

And that happened in Australia, 1978? Now that is news! Paging Andrew G. Doe!!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 06:09:46 AM »

Carl making his apologies at a press conference, State unknown  Brian's Trip

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 06:40:05 AM »

Carl making his apologies at a press conference, State unknown 

I'd say outtahismind would be the state

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 12:41:27 PM »

The photo looks to have been taken in the state on New South Wales (Sydney), the radio mic has a "2" on it indicating it is from a radio station in NSW - probaby 2UW or 2UE. Had it been Perth (Western Austraia) where Carl screwed up it would have had a "6" as the station prefix. Back then there was no homogenised networking of stations that didn't happen until the mid 80s.

As for the "help me out with the high note" quote  how do we know that's from one of the two Sydney shows? To the best of my knowledge only recordings from Perth and Melbourne have been widely booted. I've heard whispers of a Brisbane show but nothing of the Sydney shows. I was at both Sydney shows and would love to have recordings if they exist.  Wink
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 12:45:26 PM by TonyW » Logged
MBE
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 02:32:37 PM »

Carl looks horrid there.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 07:44:13 PM »

The photo looks to have been taken in the state on New South Wales (Sydney), the radio mic has a "2" on it indicating it is from a radio station in NSW - probaby 2UW or 2UE. Had it been Perth (Western Austraia) where Carl screwed up it would have had a "6" as the station prefix. Back then there was no homogenised networking of stations that didn't happen until the mid 80s.

As for the "help me out with the high note" quote  how do we know that's from one of the two Sydney shows? To the best of my knowledge only recordings from Perth and Melbourne have been widely booted. I've heard whispers of a Brisbane show but nothing of the Sydney shows. I was at both Sydney shows and would love to have recordings if they exist.  Wink
I don't know if it was at Sydney, but that's what the bootleg says. Carl says the "help me out" statment during a version of Good Vibrations that's bootlegged on a Lei'd In Hawaii bootleg from Vigotone. I'm STILL trying to find out if there is a recording of this whole concert. I have only heard Good Vibrations, and God Only Knows.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 09:48:01 PM »

Does anybody have any other pictures?

TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 10:31:49 PM »

I don't know if it was at Sydney, but that's what the bootleg says. Carl says the "help me out" statment during a version of Good Vibrations that's bootlegged on a Lei'd In Hawaii bootleg from Vigotone. I'm STILL trying to find out if there is a recording of this whole concert. I have only heard Good Vibrations, and God Only Knows.

That recording is most DEFINATELY Perth ... NOT Sydney ... no if's, no but's ... it's Perth. The bootlegers most defiantely got it wrong (I'm having a bit of an beligerant AGD moment here - this subject matter does it to me every time!! ... not offence intended AGD)

By the time the band reached Sydney they had their act together - they had to as every little step was being watched like a hawk by the Australian media.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 01:43:22 AM »

Does the full recording of that Perth show exist? Does it circulate? There is another show circulating as being from Perth, but they are two different shows.

TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 03:20:28 AM »

Does the full recording of that Perth show exist? Does it circulate? There is another show circulating as being from Perth, but they are two different shows.

The actual Carl debacle (14 Mar 78) does not exist on the boot circuit (apart from the Lei'd in Hawaii boot) - I have heard unsubstantiated rumours that it does amongst "inner circles" - I'm not in "inner circles" so i don't know - the Perth show which is the "Surfin' Down Under" boot is the the next night (15 Mar 78).

I just got to say that today might well go down as one of the great days of surf on the east coast of oz! this morning was 6 to 8 foot and the wind stayed offshore all day, by sunset the swell was still 4 to 5 foot and still perfect. I had more tubes today than Dennis ever had roots!!!!  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin my arms are jelly tonight!      ..................... just HAD to say!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 07:13:35 PM »

Carl making his apologies at a press conference, State unknown  Brian's Trip
Wow....Carl looks almost as bad in this picture as Brian did.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx