gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681004 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 06:58:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love: 'There are a lot of fallacies about me'  (Read 99853 times)
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 05, 2013, 02:38:53 PM »

Kinda a veiled joke as a certain 'scholar' on the board frequently attacks and berates posters over their grammer and spelling.

It's spelled grammar.
Ha, thanks. But that was a baited hook...

Smiley I meant no harm.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Jason
« Reply #126 on: July 05, 2013, 02:41:20 PM »

Because he's the greatest.

Was the greatest

Nah, he still is. Always will be. Them gangstas ain't got nothin' on the Doctor of Love.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 05, 2013, 02:42:33 PM »

Kinda a veiled joke as a certain 'scholar' on the board frequently attacks and berates posters over their grammer and spelling.

It's spelled grammar.
Ha, thanks. But that was a baited hook...

Smiley I meant no harm.
I know, no harm taken Cheesy

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 05, 2013, 02:49:54 PM »

Mike is by far Brian's most successful co-author.

Brian has been telling Mike since Thanksgiving 1998 that he wants to write with Mike. Brian says a lot of stuff so not sure what the problem there is but I don't think it is an unreasonable expectation of Mike since it has been Brian's idea. Mike is a team player and he lumped the disappointment of Brian not following through and got the job done. Now he apparently wants to try it again but more like Brian led him to believe it would be and without a third wheel between them.

More than one definition of successful, Cam, as you well know. Certainly Tony Asher has a claim to that title if you're looking at pure critical acclaim. Van Dyke, too.

No, I'm not talking about our personal opinions. I'm talking charts and sales which is what the industry [and Brian and Mike] use to quantify success.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 05, 2013, 02:55:52 PM »

Mike is by far Brian's most successful co-author.

Brian has been telling Mike since Thanksgiving 1998 that he wants to write with Mike. Brian says a lot of stuff so not sure what the problem there is but I don't think it is an unreasonable expectation of Mike since it has been Brian's idea. Mike is a team player and he lumped the disappointment of Brian not following through and got the job done. Now he apparently wants to try it again but more like Brian led him to believe it would be and without a third wheel between them.

More than one definition of successful, Cam, as you well know. Certainly Tony Asher has a claim to that title if you're looking at pure critical acclaim. Van Dyke, too.

No, I'm not talking about our personal opinions. I'm talking charts and sales which is what the industry [and Brian and Mike] use to quantify success.

Lord, really?

So that means we're in the never-never land where Beach Boys Concert is a more successful album than Pet Sounds? I understand that popular success has a role to play, but critical and fan appreciation have their meaning and role to play, too.

You can't understand the band, and you can't appreciate them fully, without taking both into account.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 03:06:10 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 05, 2013, 02:58:09 PM »

Speaking of interviews, this Brian interview from 1974 is fantastic.  He is so sharp, entertaining  and together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=379l_T3MRpE
He's coked out, but he does seem really lucid.

A discipline daddy.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 05, 2013, 03:01:23 PM »

Speaking of interviews, this Brian interview from 1974 is fantastic.  He is so sharp, entertaining  and together.

He is certainly happy sounding. His speaking voice sounds undamaged at this point.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 05, 2013, 03:05:51 PM »

He is certainly happy sounding. His speaking voice sounds undamaged at this point.
He sounds a little older, but that's not surprising, as he was 33 at the time.

A discipline daddy.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 05, 2013, 03:18:14 PM »

It's spelled grammar.

No, it's spelt grammar.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 05, 2013, 03:21:40 PM »

How come every thread now devolves into nitpicking over the tiniest possible misinterpretations of other posts?

Even though no new information is provided regarding the real facts of the situation at hand, it seems that some people think that by thrashing out every last hypothetical, based on their own interpretation, the truth can somehow be arrived at.

And no one is any the wiser. And it all kicks off again in another thread.

And seeing that we get little, if very seldom, REAL insights from 'insiders', we tend to attempt to analyze and hypothesize. Such is the nature of the beast.

It wasn't intended as a dig at AGD, in fact the opposite. Those who do know stuff are constantly having to repeat themselves because... no one is any the wiser after all. Personally, i feel we're lucky to have those who do know so much posting here.

And correct spelling and grammar are cool, man Smiley
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 05, 2013, 03:22:30 PM »

It's spelled grammar.

No, it's spelt grammar.

Not in American English.  Tongue
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 03:24:39 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 05, 2013, 03:29:54 PM »

Re: The '74 Brian interview with Jim Pewter. Brian came down to the KRTH studios in his bathrobe. He'd obviously been partaking. When Jim asked him to talk about the Smile/Heroes & Villains period, he walked out of the studio for awhile and probably did another line (or smoked a doob) then came back and Jim changed the subject. He's obviously a little wired and pretty happy in the interview. I received my tape of it not long after the interview, around 1975, and I remember a few fans commented at the time that he still had his 60's voice still pretty much intact but he was weezing a lot and it was starting to change. Probably from doing massive amounts of coke at the time. Plus he was gaining a lot of weight. The way he was saying some of those things during the interview - it's like the mirror and blade were close by and he was one happy pup! Plus he had the munchies big time for some chips and dip!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 03:44:36 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 05, 2013, 03:32:42 PM »

It's spelled grammar.

No, it's spelt grammar.

Not in American English.  Tongue

"Spelled" and "Spelt" can be both be used. I think "spelled" is the preferred use of grammar these days.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 05, 2013, 03:45:08 PM »

Remember the picture posted on Brian's facebook page of the dinner her threw for band members and crew during the tour. Mike and Bruce were conspicuously missing.

Says it all really

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 05, 2013, 04:16:11 PM »

Remember the picture posted on Brian's facebook page of the dinner her threw for band members and crew during the tour. Mike and Bruce were conspicuously missing.

Says it all really

Were Mike and Bruce in London on September 23?

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 05, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »

BBC2 gig was the 24th so were pretty close.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 05, 2013, 05:47:13 PM »

BBC2 gig was the 24th so were pretty close.

But what about the 23rd?

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 05, 2013, 06:13:35 PM »

People love the early stuff and rightly so. But it won't come back if all you do is rhyme something with "good vibration".

"We'll find a place in the sun/Where everyone can have fun, fun fun" - who wants to hear that when they can have the actual "Fun Fun Fun" instead? M.I.U. Album tanked, KTSA didn't sell, Summer in Paradise is widely considered an artistic low-point and may be the biggest non-seller of the group's entire career. Fittingly, "Spring Vacation" and "Beaches in Mind" got heavily criticized by both fans and professional writers alike. Personally I'm very open to the fun-in-the-sun thing as long as it's not BB by numbers. If Mike wants to write about the beach, fine, but he should do it with a modicum of dignity then (which was not apparent in "Kona Coast" or "Spring Vacation" or "Beaches in Mind" I think).

Absolutely.

Even discounting the day tripper fans, there is still strong Mike Love dissent amongst the ranks. It's simply because he conducts himself like a twat.
The man says he wants to work with Brian and denies himself the opportunity. And we're supposed to support him?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 05, 2013, 06:15:30 PM »

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/p480x480/971317_10151701118502241_1313300315_n.jpg
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 05, 2013, 06:17:41 PM »

Saw that earlier, looks like Brian is rocking the beard again?!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 05, 2013, 06:18:16 PM »

Plus support Mike's ending of the real BBs so he can do shows with his solo "BBs" group.

The show with JLS and the gruffalo is really keeping demand up for future BBs reunions.... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 05, 2013, 06:20:24 PM »

And that is why Mike does not deserve to be writing with Brian. He got his chance and he gave us songs two of the most clichéd possible songs that could have been named in a parody thread on this board. "Beaches in Mind"? really? If that's the best he's god well maybe another album should not be on the cards.

Isn't it funny. Mike had issues with a perfect Beach Boys tour. The type of tour The Beach Boys deserved and now he's spewing all this BS about writing with Brian.

How the hell does he have defenders on this board.

Brian wrote some of the lyrics to at least one, if not both, of the Mike co-authored songs, so he's partly to blame for the silly lyrics, too. I'm not sure why people who are mad at Mike for stopping the tour aren't glad that Mike stopped the tour, because they don't like Mike, anyways. Did you Mike haters really enjoy Mike's car medleys and monologues between the songs?  You can go to the BAD tour instead. I realize it's only a handful of dates, but Mike has nothing to do with Brian not booking a full tour. Perhaps the reasons Brian is only playing a few gigs this year would have also precluded him from participating in a longer reunion tour, as well.

My attitude towards Mike is, let the old man talk. He says the same things you'd expect him to, and I don't understand why people get mad at him for being himself. He is who he is. I wouldn't want him to change on my or any other fan's account. If you love Brian so much and believe Mike isn't good for him, then be glad that Mike is still honest enough to let Brian and his people know he's not going to change for them, either.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 06:21:45 PM by KittyKat » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 05, 2013, 06:27:38 PM »

'Let him be who he is' is all well and good, but he's still a clueless bastard with no artistic intentions besides saying 'I'd love to write surf bollocks with Brian', right after he's talked about how Paul McCartney asked Mike Love, of Hawthorne, California, USA, for a bridge.

I bet he never told Reagan that he helped write the bridge to Back In The USSR...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 06:31:04 PM by hypehat » Logged

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 05, 2013, 06:29:23 PM »

'Let him be who he is' is all well and good, but he's still a clueless bastard with no artistic intentions besides saying 'I'd love to write surf bollocks with Brian' right after he's talked about how Paul McCartney asked Mike Love, of Hawthorne, California, USA, for a bridge.

I bet he never told Reagan that he helped write the bridge to Back In The USSR...

Mike still helped with a bridge on a Beatles song and you didn't Smiley

Let the old man talk Smiley Smiley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 05, 2013, 06:31:42 PM »

Man, if it wasn't for the simple fact I was born 40 years later than Mike...

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx