gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680895 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 04, 2024, 10:00:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys on CD - Andrew Hickey (2 volumes)  (Read 2456 times)
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2015, 04:13:47 AM »

I am considering buying one or both of these and don't see any thread about them. I'd welcome some reviews.

Is Hickey too picky? Is Hickey a hack? Or is is he the Beach Boys' Ian MacDonald?

http://www.amazon.com/Andrew-Hickey/e/B0057GM3KW/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1
Nicko1234
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 04:19:48 AM »

You can read reviews for both books here:

http://www.beachboys.com/booksIII.html#hickey
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 04:26:22 AM »

I'm wary if he just retreads the ground that AGD covered, with just the author's opinions making the books distinctive.
Magic City Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 06:10:10 AM »

I have both volumes and I enjoy them a lot. I keep them queued up in my Kindle and often re-read them.

It is strictly a book of opinions, track-by-track for each album.  He often discusses chord progressions and other musical details, but not for every song.

His opinions are thoughtful, knowledgeable and well written. I can't compare them to AGD's book, because I haven't read that.

But I'm entertained by it and Hickey clearly knows what he's talking about.

Vol. 2 is particularly interesting to me because there's just not a lot out there covering in detail the band's 70s output.
Hickey isn't afraid to tell you when he doesn't like a track. The creative ways he comes up with expressing his loathing for, say, Going Pubilc are hilarious to me.

These are books clearly by a fan that embraces both the good and the bad from the band's catalog.

Recommended.

Sail through the sorrows of life's marauders.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 02:19:21 PM »

Get a taste for it here:
http://andrewhickey.info/tag/the-beach-boys-on-cd/

Please delete my account
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 02:25:00 PM »

Too bad Andrew Hickey doesn't post here anymore - some buttheads ran him off. Otherwise he could answer your questions directly, Jon. He's from your country. Very knowledgeable fan. You might try to PM him - I know he still reads this bored.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 03:54:18 PM »

Recently read both volumes and enjoyed them very much.  There isn't a wealth of new info perhaps, but I enjoyed his sense of humor and just generally found them an enjoyable read.  I'm happy enough to have purchased them and feel they'll be a nice reference for times when I wish to delve into the discography without much muss or fuss. 
Bill Ed
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 08:39:15 PM »

Too bad Andrew Hickey doesn't post here anymore - some buttheads ran him off.

So he can dish it out, but he can't take it?  Smiley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 09:16:59 PM »

Cheesy

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 10:05:24 PM »

Great books - they're mostly based around his opinions, as well as some deeper musical analysis (which, to someone like me who has no knowledge of musical theory, falls on deaf ears). Some of the stuff he points out, such as Brian's motifs of insecurity in relationships and his way of recording drums (especially the snares on Love You) shocked me with how I never noticed it until he pointed it out. It's well written and some of it is hilarious. His reviews of Going Public and Looking Back With Love are classic.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 06:47:21 AM »

There was meant to be a Vol 3 covering post-1984 but I have not yet seen any sign of it.
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 07:07:17 AM »

Reply to me by Andrew on his site about Vol 3:

I plan to start writing it when I’ve finished writing my current music book (California Dreaming: The LA Pop Scene of the 60s), which has been a little delayed but should be out this summer.
The previous Beach Boys books have taken me about six months to write, so I’d *guess* it’ll be out for Xmas, but if life gets in the way it might be early next year.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx