gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680889 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 03, 2024, 06:33:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Rebel and 39 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1412660 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1200 on: February 17, 2011, 12:15:32 PM »

Anybody know the reasoning/story behind Brian singing the beginning fragment to Heroes and Villains during the "coke/hamburger sessions"?

Also, what studio/musicians were used to record some of those songs? I know the first half is just piano demos, with Brian and maybe Dennis...but what about

Stevie
Why Don't they Let Us Fall in Love/Be My Baby/River Deep Mountain High
Night Bloomin' Jasmine (percussion/drums)
My Solution (instrumental)
Shortenin' Bread (instrumental)

Stevie - no idea, but the drums sure sound like Dennis
Why Don't they Let Us Fall in Love/Be My Baby/River Deep Mountain High - Brian (keyboards), Ed carter (bass), Bo Fox/Kim Calkins (drums), rtecorded at WAVES (Western Audio Visual Entertainment Services, i.e Mike's Santa Barbara home studio, 101 Mesa Lane)
Night Bloomin' Jasmine (percussion/drums) - no idea
My Solution (instrumental) - Brian (everything)
Shortenin' Bread (instrumental) - which version ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: February 17, 2011, 12:32:03 PM »

Anybody know the reasoning/story behind Brian singing the beginning fragment to Heroes and Villains during the "coke/hamburger sessions"?

Also, what studio/musicians were used to record some of those songs? I know the first half is just piano demos, with Brian and maybe Dennis...but what about

Stevie
Why Don't they Let Us Fall in Love/Be My Baby/River Deep Mountain High
Night Bloomin' Jasmine (percussion/drums)
My Solution (instrumental)
Shortenin' Bread (instrumental)

Why Don't they Let Us Fall in Love/Be My Baby/River Deep Mountain High - Brian (keyboards), Ed carter (bass), Bo Fox/Kim Calkins (drums), rtecorded at WAVES (Western Audio Visual Entertainment Services, i.e Mike's Santa Barbara home studio, 101 Mesa Lane)
Night Bloomin' Jasmine (percussion/drums) - no idea
My Solution (instrumental) - Brian (everything)
Shortenin' Bread (instrumental) - which version ?
the short version with no vocals, starts out with drums...has a kicking fart synth part...often right beside that version of My Solution on most boots.

Where's your source for these sessions?
session sheets? eye witness accounts?

granted, i see where the recordings took place on your website, but how'd you know before you posted it on your site?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 12:34:56 PM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1202 on: February 17, 2011, 12:37:02 PM »

OK, in that case, "SB" is all Brian too. Both from late 1980.

How do I know ? I read books, do some research, and ask people who might know. Failing that, I make it up.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 12:37:53 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: February 17, 2011, 05:02:54 PM »

Definitely Dennis on drums as confirmed by Garby Leon.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: February 17, 2011, 05:12:48 PM »

I wanna say the Sherri She Needs Me might be the only one I can think of.

If only there was some vocals from the original 65' cut of this song, we might have seen 3 very different vocals of the same song...60s falsetto, 70s gruff, and Brian's 88 voice (with Terri She Needs Me; we won't bother the fact that it's a different name, I'm just glad it prolly had the same lyrics as opposed to She Says that She Needs Me)

Would there be any concert recordings that could intertwine between different eras?
I'm assuming they'd have to be at the same speed?
For instance, you couldn't mix the recording of Heroes and Villains in Hawaii in 67 with any other live version because the Hawaii version is much slower than any other live recording.

Also, the songs would have to be in the same key, right? So my question is: are most live versions of the songs in the same key?
Is the version of Darlin' on the Live in London album in the same key as the one on In Concert? are those in the same key as the one recorded in Knebworth in 1980? or Brian's cut on Live at the Roxy?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Christoph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1205 on: February 17, 2011, 05:37:26 PM »

Also, the songs would have to be in the same key, right? So my question is: are most live versions of the songs in the same key?
Is the version of Darlin' on the Live in London album in the same key as the one on In Concert? are those in the same key as the one recorded in Knebworth in 1980? or Brian's cut on Live at the Roxy?

Brians Band does many songs in lower keys, to fit his range. It has quite a big effect on some songs like Don't worry baby (from E to C) or This whole world. But other bands like Genesis do the same live.

The boys kept most of the songs in the original key, Darlin' for example. Things like Wouldn't it be nice were transposed a half step lower in the later years, and Help me Rhonda for example was origanally in C#, in the 70s in A and then later on in C.  But overall it was the original key, although it must be hard to sing and play them sometimes.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: February 20, 2011, 05:49:35 PM »

I was listening to a live version of vegetables, it was labeled Vegetables/mama says on the "Essential BB Live Rarities," it's on the last disc, I was wondering if this is from the "box set" concert? The vocal is my other question, was it Al on lead? It doesn't quite sound like him...it's a little low and deep for Alan Jardine.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: February 20, 2011, 08:21:55 PM »

Al sang the lead on "Vegetables" in the 1993 Atlanta show.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: February 22, 2011, 01:02:49 AM »

Does anyone know of any Smile mixes that incorporate Whistle In?

a possible appropriate time would be after the Mahalo lu le, Mahalo lu la, Keeni waka pula chant.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: February 25, 2011, 07:19:46 PM »

My question is about guest vocals on the guy's solo albums, in particular:

-Mike's Unleash the Love, Lookin Back with Love, or Country Love? (assuming Brian is on Be My Baby from LBWL)
-Carl's two solo albums.
-Denny's POB, Bambu, and his solo single (Lady/Sound Of Free)
-Bruce's Goin Pubic  Wink

Unless this is on the def vocals thread, in which I searched for it but couldn't find it. (thus needing to be stickied  Roll Eyes)

(but then again, some people don't enjoy many stickies)

BTW, can we just get a new section devoted to great sticky threads that deserve like this thread & the def vocals thread...and maybe we could nominate others posts/threads...and then vote on em?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1210 on: February 26, 2011, 01:18:54 AM »

Allegedly, Brian & Carl are on "Sound of Free". I've seen it mentioned almost as an aside in one contemporary article. Nowhere else.

Carl is very obviously on both POB and Bambu.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: February 26, 2011, 01:38:56 AM »

Somebody on here once mentioned that there is a tape in existance of the group rehearsing group harmonies on "Callifornia Feeling", allegedly on a tour bus. What's the story on this?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: February 26, 2011, 03:50:07 AM »

I've heard about it too - Apparently it's not a fine moment  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: February 26, 2011, 08:04:38 PM »

Do youi have any idea when and where it was recorded?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: February 26, 2011, 08:45:18 PM »

Allegedly, Brian & Carl are on "Sound of Free". I've seen it mentioned almost as an aside in one contemporary article. Nowhere else.

if only i had a legit recording, i would be able to tell

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1215 on: February 27, 2011, 01:00:09 AM »

if only i had a legit recording, i would be able to tell

Well, you could try buying one... but if your ears can't hear Carl on even a 4th generation cassette dub of some of the POB tracks, then I suggest you change your allegiance to some other band less sonically delicate - say, Slipknot.  Grin

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: February 27, 2011, 02:44:46 AM »

To my ears they are on it.. Sound of free cracking song!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1217 on: February 27, 2011, 08:04:15 AM »

Slipnot's cool.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: February 27, 2011, 08:31:37 AM »

So is Guster. Ever heard that song "Do You Love Me"? Not bad.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: February 27, 2011, 10:16:26 AM »

Do youi have any idea when and where it was recorded?

I'm going on a very slim memory here, but i want to say the tourbus in the v. late 70's?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: February 27, 2011, 10:42:39 AM »

Has anyone seen The 'Stones movie "Shine A Light"? What did they make of Blondie Chapman on it? To me his guitar amp seemed to be set at 'Al Jardine' volume. Also you very rarely see a good shot of him! Out of the 3 backing singers the cameraman seemed to be interested only in getting footage of the lady in the middle's bouncing boobs.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: February 27, 2011, 01:17:36 PM »

Has anyone seen The 'Stones movie "Shine A Light"? What did they make of Blondie Chapman on it? To me his guitar amp seemed to be set at 'Al Jardine' volume. Also you very rarely see a good shot of him! Out of the 3 backing singers the cameraman seemed to be interested only in getting footage of the lady in the middle's bouncing boobs.

Blondie Chapman ??

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: February 27, 2011, 01:18:20 PM »

Considering much of the material around Today! through Pet Sounds was written with Marilyn in mind, does this extend beyond (in either direction) this period? (Aside from the obvious ones like "Let's Put Our Hearts Together" and "My Diane"!) I'm wondering if "We'll Run Away" is autobiographical for Brialyn, something their parents might have said to them or something. I'm curious especially given that commentators often note that she was indeed very young to be putting up with his mental illness/rock star behaviour (though she did, of course, do as good as job as she could, I suppose).
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: February 27, 2011, 05:45:27 PM »

Blondie Chapman ??

Yeah he was playing with Mick Jagged, Charlie Wyatt, Ronnie Woody and Keith Riches - what concert were you watching?  Roll Eyes

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: February 28, 2011, 12:20:11 AM »

Blondie Chapman ??

Yeah he was playing with Mick Jagged, Charlie Wyatt, Ronnie Woody and Keith Riches - what concert were you watching?  Roll Eyes

Grin

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx