gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 10:18:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New book: "Beach Boys Archives Volume 1" by Torrence Berry and Gary Zenker  (Read 3849 times)
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« on: November 24, 2013, 02:08:55 PM »

What's the 411 on this?

"Beach Boys Archives Volume 1" by Torrence Berry and Gary Zenker

"Covering their beginnings through 1976, this 202 page volume reprints a variety of printed artifacts related to America's Band, The Beach Boys. From ads that appeared in major music publications to promo photos, tour books and magazine articles, you'll read the PR puff pieces and more serious articles talking about various aspects of the guys' careers. It's a fun trip down memory lane with rare materials, pic and stories."

http://www.amazon.com/Beach-Boys-Archives-Torrence-Berry/dp/0989334457/
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 02:16:57 PM by PongHit » Logged

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 02:48:21 PM »

Around 15 years ago, Gary issued a three volume set called "Beach Boys Artifacts" each containing 200 pages of scanned articles spanning 1963-1996. Perhaps this is the first instalment of a reprint/upgrade of those original volumes, as shown here:

http://www.sonic.net/~dsktracy/bbstuff/Books/pages/Artifacts.html
http://www.sonic.net/~dsktracy/bbstuff/Books/pages/Artifacts,%20vol%202.html
http://www.sonic.net/~dsktracy/bbstuff/Books/pages/Artifacts,%20vol%203.html
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 05:30:28 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 09:04:16 PM »

Is dude's name really Torrence Berry??

Cuz if it is, that's pretty funny. But it seems like somebody's having a bit of a joke.

And I assume I don't need to explain this one to anybody on here.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 09:19:36 PM »

Cuz if it is, that's pretty funny. But it seems like somebody's having a bit of a joke.

I was wondering the same thing!
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 10:07:58 PM »

A nod to TORRENCE OF BERRY'D TREASURES perhaps?

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 09:04:46 AM »

Well the same guy did 2 similar Jan & Dean books:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?ie=UTF8&field-author=Torrence+Berry&search-alias=books&text=Torrence+Berry&sort=relevancerank

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 03:02:19 PM »

Gary's a friend of mine, known him for close on 30 years - I'll ask him.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
WhiteLightningPress
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 11:56:59 AM »

Hi all. I found this by accident doing a Google  check against my name. You asked for answers about the books so....

The Archives books are reproductions of artifacts, pr materials, materials  and articles from magazines that are long out of business and the copyrights are unenforceable because of that fact or have fallen into the public domain.

BEACH BOYS Volume 1 and JAN & DEAN Volumes 1 & 2: All of the materials came from my own collection (sometimes originals, sometimes copies) and are scanned at 300 DPI.
Beach Boys Volume 1 is identical to the limited edition book I published previously (15 years ago?) with a new cover.

BEACH BOYS VOLUMES 2 and 3 (probably coming in the next two weeks I hope): Many of the original materials were mine and scanned at 300 dpi in full size; some materials were acquired elsewhere and have varying resolution but all should reproduce nicely. These are different content than the previously published ARTIFACTS books I published years ago. Volume 2 spans 1960s-mid 1970s; Volume 3 spans 1960s - 2000 I think.

I am working on a volume related the band members' solo efforts and trying to find a way to do one compiling the BBFUN newsletters 1970-1986.

The tricky part in all of these is finding the cleanest originals (or high res scans)  and finding material I can reprint being subjected to copyright issues.

Anyone have a treasure trove of materials (other than the ones posted online here)?

The books are cheaper than if you found all the original materials and made copies yourself at 10 cents a sheet and bound with a color cover as well. It also takes up a whole lot less room given that the pages are double sided. Any more questions?
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 08:11:11 PM »

Hi Gary,

I just wanted to say that I've enjoyed all three original volumes since I bought them in 1997. I was, and still am, very impressed by the content, quality and presentation and look forward to further instalments.

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 11:35:58 PM »

That was the first thing I thought as well. Second thing was that Gary Zenker sounds a lot like Gary Zekley (who, of course, wrote 'The Yellow Balloon' for  Jan & Dean and was the creative force behind one of the best Beach Boys soundalike albums ever released).
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 02:10:50 AM »

Gary Zenker is a very real human being, who has a personal cinema in his basement, complete with ticket office, popcorn machine and two rows of tip-up seats, and what looks like Mission Control in his attic: last time I was there I counted five computers and roughly six gazillion DVDs, videos and CDs.

Gary Zekely is also a very real human being (or was until 1996) and has no connection with Mr. Zenker.

As for Torrence Berry, way back in the last millennium (1983, since you ask), Stephen McParland put out two J&D booklets called Torrence Of Berry'd Treasures. What a coincidence.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 02:21:33 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 02:50:03 AM »

Gary Zenker is a very real human being, who has a personal cinema in his basement, complete with ticket office, popcorn machine and two rows of tip-up seats, and what looks like Mission Control in his attic: last time I was there I counted five computers and roughly six gazillion DVDs, videos and CDs, all of varying degrees of legality.

Gary Zekely is also a very real human being (or was until 1996) and has no connection with Mr. Zenker.

I don't doubt they're both real people, but I think it's still a funny coincidence.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx