gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680884 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 04:12:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: LOVE AND MERCY screening  (Read 34066 times)
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2015, 05:31:31 PM »

If some of those music pieces doesn't make the final cut (specially  those wierd and exotic mash-ups) I'm gonna hate myself so much for having read that post...
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2015, 06:25:09 PM »

Some of that is still in the film -- a lot isn't.
It's not clinical like that at all. There's music going constantly. Your brain isn't even thinking about it.
Reading it like that, like a list, is exactly what the film is NOT like.
I cannot wait till everybody sees this thing.

I know there's another screening tonight in L.A., hopefully more people from the board will be there to share their insights.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2015, 07:00:42 PM »

I like the idea of music coming from Brian Mind as the list says...lol.... that should be the name of the NEXT solo cd after Pier pressure... "Brian's Mind".
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2015, 07:05:06 PM »

Howie, between you and Ray, I can't wait for June to arrive!

Heywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2015, 07:23:18 PM »

Dave just beat me to it.

Thank you Howie and Ray for some of the best stuff on here in ages.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2015, 08:10:40 PM »

Personally, I would like to see not only the sandbox depicted, but also the Indian tee-pee. Why ignore a part of history? It was a part of Brian's folklore (though I've read that he barely set foot in the tee-pee). The sandbox Brian has said helped to inspire him to write during that period. Some damn good music came out of that sandbox! And probably some damn good meetings were held inside the tent.  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2015, 08:26:18 PM »

Howie, I'd be interested in hearing your take on the "rotten tomato" reviewers on this web site. More reviews will be coming in of course, but being subjective, are these guys in the ballpark or no?

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/love_and_mercy/

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2015, 09:40:14 PM »

Mikie --

I was talking to Ray earlier and he said the most perfect thing about this film, if I can paraphrase, it's that people are going to want to put this in a box and it doesn't fit any sized box. The form is too wide. Really the only thing that I can compare it to is I'm Not There, but this is far heavier/spritual. Which isn't to say that there isn't lightness, too, it's just that in terms of film, Brian has been so stupidly and inaccurately portrayed as rambling/skittish/insane -- like that scene in An American Family, where he's, like, frothing at the mouth handing out sheet music like an idiot -- or elsewhere where he's a bear that's always afraid. There's none of that here. There's no imitations. You can see his spirit in these actors.

What IS here is the word of Melinda who WAS there. Early on the buzz was that this was going to be a vehicle with no other angle than her taking credit for saving him from the clutches of this maniac -- but, the fact is, SHE DID. She DID do that. There are always going to be people to tell you that this one did this, that one did that -- but until she got her hands in the s hit, he was left to rot with that maniac pig. True, Brian didn't die under Landy's watch -- but he absolutely would have. She got him out. There is nothing in the movie that gives Melinda undue credit. If anything, she's actually undersold as the heroine of the story.

As far as the reviews, I think it's obvious that people that aren't personally connected to what Brian's life, music, and story mean are going to talk about the actors not looking like each other, or like Brian, or there being no "center" -- trust me YOU will see the center. Some entertainment blogger won't and will ultimately be confused why it's not more like Beyond The Sea.

If they don't get it, who cares? This movie's for US.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 09:41:27 PM by Howie Edelson » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2015, 10:02:31 PM »

Thanks, man.  Looking forward to the movie coming to an AMC theatre near me!

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2015, 10:04:19 PM »

Oh.. is, at least, the 'Till I Die part still in it? *crosses fingers*
Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2015, 08:12:12 AM »

Thanks for the review Howie! I'm new to the forum, but I can tell you are very respected here!

I was wondering if these two particular songs/scenes made the movie:

Does the scene with "In My Room" make it and does it become "unbearbly loud"?

And is the scene where "Rhapsody in Blue" becomes "A Day In The Life Of A Tree" still in it?
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2015, 09:20:40 AM »

Gee, if the "Love and Mercy" footage is really from one of the two Roxy shows, I have a 50/50 chance of being in the movie myself! (If you can see any of the audience.)
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2015, 09:52:38 AM »

Mikie --

I was talking to Ray earlier and he said the most perfect thing about this film, if I can paraphrase, it's that people are going to want to put this in a box and it doesn't fit any sized box. The form is too wide. Really the only thing that I can compare it to is I'm Not There, but this is far heavier/spritual. Which isn't to say that there isn't lightness, too, it's just that in terms of film, Brian has been so stupidly and inaccurately portrayed as rambling/skittish/insane -- like that scene in An American Family, where he's, like, frothing at the mouth handing out sheet music like an idiot -- or elsewhere where he's a bear that's always afraid. There's none of that here. There's no imitations. You can see his spirit in these actors.

What IS here is the word of Melinda who WAS there. Early on the buzz was that this was going to be a vehicle with no other angle than her taking credit for saving him from the clutches of this maniac -- but, the fact is, SHE DID. She DID do that. There are always going to be people to tell you that this one did this, that one did that -- but until she got her hands in the s hit, he was left to rot with that maniac pig. True, Brian didn't die under Landy's watch -- but he absolutely would have. She got him out. There is nothing in the movie that gives Melinda undue credit. If anything, she's actually undersold as the heroine of the story.

Thanks for that.  Yes, she DID do that.
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2015, 10:19:19 AM »

"Eugene Landy is still not dead enough for me." -- Ray Lawlor

"If you think you love Brian Wilson now, wait until the final credits roll." -- Howie Edelson

Two of the most profound comments I have ever read on Smiley.

Thanks Ray and Howie for all your great posts and for stoking the fires for Love and Mercy.   
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2015, 12:35:37 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm4025282560/rg183933696?ref_=rgmd_md_nxt

Exclusive still photos from the film

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2015, 12:50:59 PM »

Mikie --

As far as the reviews, I think it's obvious that people that aren't personally connected to what Brian's life, music, and story mean are going to talk about the actors not looking like each other, or like Brian, or there being no "center" -- trust me YOU will see the center. Some entertainment blogger won't and will ultimately be confused why it's not more like Beyond The Sea.

What I told a friend this morning was when this film comes out run, don't walk,  to the theatre to see this. So much authenticity in the movie ; the recreation of the 66/67 sessions; Dano really becomes Brian at the piano; Mark Linett doing a nice turn as Chuck Britz; Gary Griffin as Al DeLory and Cusack is a revelation as the film develops. My opinion; it does the story justice without sensationalism; pulls no punches, and treats everyone fairly. In the scene where Landy gets served, after Melinda provided the damning documents to Carl's attorney , the woman sitting behind me was clapping and crying at the same time. Banks nails Melinda Ledbetter; Landy's worst nightmare. I need to see it again ; there is too much to grasp the first time around. Finally , Brian is portrayed accurately on film , and it took two fine actors to do it.

As I had said earlier ; I need that score !  

And if Dano or Cusack is not nominated for an Oscar I'm gonna call the cops.  
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2015, 12:51:26 PM »

Featuring Mark Linett as Chuck Britz! Very cool.

Just behind them, check out the headstock of that guitar...looks like a Danelectro "Bellzouki" 12-string electric...hmmm.  Wink

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2015, 02:11:12 PM »

Just behind them, check out the headstock of that guitar...looks like a Danelectro "Bellzouki" 12-string electric...hmmm.  Wink

Oh MY GOD!!!  The Related Galleries...  566 Photos of Elizabeth Banks.
HEAVEN

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2015, 03:02:31 PM »

Mikie --

What I told a friend this morning was when this film comes out run, don't walk,  to the theatre to see this. So much authenticity in the movie ; the recreation of the 66/67 sessions; Dano really becomes Brian at the piano; Mark Linett doing a nice turn as Chuck Britz; Gary Griffin as Al DeLory and Cusack is a revelation as the film develops. My opinion; it does the story justice without sensationalism; pulls no punches, and treats everyone fairly. In the scene where Landy gets served, after Melinda provided the damning documents to Carl's attorney , the woman sitting behind me was clapping and crying at the same time. Banks nails Melinda Ledbetter; Landy's worst nightmare. I need to see it again ; there is too much to grasp the first time around. Finally , Brian is portrayed accurately on film , and it took two fine actors to do it.

As I had said earlier ; I need that score !  

And if Dano or Cusack is not nominated for an Oscar I'm gonna call the cops.  

So great.  It's driving me crazy that I can't see it until the Minneapolis film festival 4/24-25.  It isn't often that I get to see a film in which I love every artist in the mix - director, writer, actors - not to mention the subject of the film, himself.  I think I'll prepare to have someone else drive me from the theatre to the hotel afterward, as I'll probably be in a state of shock and amazement.  I'm thinking I'll see if I can get seats to both presentations to take it all in.  Any suggestions?
Jcc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2015, 08:38:28 PM »

The best part about this movie, is that if it becomes the big drama of 2015 and EVERYONE goes to see it, "No Pier Pressure" is going to become an unstoppable force.  It will be like Supernatural was for Santana 15 years ago.

I know everyone dismisses the Grammys, but think about how awesome it would be to see BW win "Album of the Year" along with several other awards.   I'd even be willing to see Kanye West jump on stage and tell Brian he's not as talented as Beyoncé if it means it's Brian's big night!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2015, 02:09:57 AM »

That must have been a crazy experience for Linett, like being warped back in time to Brian's heydays after working for so long with that very music.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2015, 02:16:53 AM »

I asked this question on the Brian weirdest pictures thread but this may be a better place for an answer.

Brian almost looks like that depressed teenager from Little Miss Sunshine here.

Ok...Serious question to anyone who has seen the movie. 'Brian' is looking to his right in a nervous manner. Is that character to his right supposed to be Manson?
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2015, 02:42:02 AM »

I asked this question on the Brian weirdest pictures thread but this may be a better place for an answer.

Brian almost looks like that depressed teenager from Little Miss Sunshine here.

Ok...Serious question to anyone who has seen the movie. 'Brian' is looking to his right in a nervous manner. Is that character to his right supposed to be Manson?

Manson wasn't on the scene till 68 I believe so it wouldn't be him.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2015, 08:39:01 AM »

The best part about this movie, is that if it becomes the big drama of 2015 and EVERYONE goes to see it, "No Pier Pressure" is going to become an unstoppable force.  It will be like Supernatural was for Santana 15 years ago.

I know everyone dismisses the Grammys, but think about how awesome it would be to see BW win "Album of the Year" along with several other awards.   I'd even be willing to see Kanye West jump on stage and tell Brian he's not as talented as Beyoncé if it means it's Brian's big night!

If NPP wins a Grammy, I would pay money to see a live camera feed of Mike's reaction.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2015, 08:41:22 AM »

Looks like Flo and Eddie to me. Surely the Mark Volman-ness of the guy in specs is not a mistake.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 08:45:18 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx