gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680890 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 03, 2024, 08:48:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson's Secret Bedroom Tapes - LA Weekly 1-30-14  (Read 86643 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2014, 08:55:15 PM »

My understanding is that a track-by-track follow-up article for the next LA Weekly is being prepared even as I type.

That's "type" as in this post, not the article: I know what some of you are like for jumping to unwarranted conclusions, you little tinkers...  Grin

Oooo exciting! Ok, now this is stupid, but I'm not familiar with LA Weekly. But, as you say this is gonna be in the next one, does that mean like this week??? I sure hope so!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2014, 09:03:20 PM »

My understanding is that a track-by-track follow-up article for the next LA Weekly is being prepared even as I type.

That's "type" as in this post, not the article: I know what some of you are like for jumping to unwarranted conclusions, you little tinkers...  Grin

Oooo exciting! Ok, now this is stupid, but I'm not familiar with LA Weekly. But, as you say this is gonna be in the next one, does that mean like this week??? I sure hope so!

I'm assuming that it'll be put out on Thursday of this week. I say this because this one was released on the 30th, which was a Thursday.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2014, 08:59:43 PM »

I'd like to hear the stuff. I can't imagine there being a point to this article other than a heads up that a release of it will happen in the future.

It's like discovering there's a bunch of new parts of the holy bibble written by Jesus himself but never letting anybody ever read it. Just sitting in a room near the Bob Hope Airport growing old like the rest of us.  Huh

No mas, por favor.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 04, 2014, 08:19:57 AM »

One way to approach a release like this is to package it with another, well known album.  I'm thinking of something like Clapton's Give Me Strength:  The '74/'75 Recordings.  Take note Capitol Records, that this was also 6 discs. 5 CDs/1 Blu-Ray and $65.  Not $140!!!Understand?  I digress...

But I don't know what Beach Boy album you could/would want to pair this with -- just a thought.  (I know, don't give them any ideas!)  So with that, a straight up The Beach Boys:  Brian Wilson's Bedroom Sessions box would be ideal.  One that cleverly plays upon and exploits the reclusive indulgence therein, beautifully packaged around that theme.  Go to town.  Win a fcking grammy, while you're at it.

Here's a pic of Clapton's excellent 74/75 sessions box...

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2014, 08:35:33 AM »

But I don't know what Beach Boy album you could/would want to pair this with…

Hmm…  I guess it would have to be 15BOs and/or Love You. Love You would fit better, especially if the Love You demos could be tidied into the package neatly. Many many discs then!

“We live in divisive times.”
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2014, 08:49:15 AM »

Yeah... but I'd love a Love You box set release that focuses on:  Love You, 15 big'uns, Adult Child, MIU -- and anything else that might have happened during the "Brian is Back" era.  That seems like a more sensible way of getting Adult Child out.  A 76-79 box.

To me... this bedroom period (68-74) is kind of a total mess of stuff. It's post-SMiLE, Wild Honey, Smiley, Friends, 20/20, Old man river, Brother Records, Danny Hutton, Spring, Charles fcking Manson, Warner Bro., Sunflower, Carl & the Passions, Holland, Surf's Down... It's just a big blob of everything and nothing.  So maybe my idea sux.   Cheesy

EDIT:  Actually, maybe it's spread out on several "expanded album" box sets, that are all the rage these days.  An expanded box for Smiley Smile, which includes Wild Honey and all sorts of bedroom stuff.  And then an expanded Friends or 20/20 that includes both of those albums and related bedroom material.  Then one for Sunflower or Surf's Up... which includes both of those albums and Holland, with all the related bedroom material.

So that's 3 box sets I just created for Capitol!   Razz

EDIT EDIT:  4 boxes, including the Love You box.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:59:31 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2014, 08:53:24 AM »

You have approximately 60 titles. Some of them are probably short snippets, and even if they are full length BW songs, they are probably only 2:00 or 2:30 long, maybe 3:00. Some of them might not be releasable.

I would think you could make a nice package out of two 80 minute CD's. Go with 2 CD's, a regular sized jewel case that holds 2 CD's, a chronological approach, and a nice booklet with infornmative liner notes (dates, musicians, etc.). It could be titled The Beach Boys - Brian's Bedroom Tapes.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2014, 09:05:30 AM »

I agree Sheriff, but I just created 3, $70 boxsets for Capitol records out of this material -- against your one $20 "fans only" 2-disc set.   Grin

Strangely enough, I might actually prefer the box sets?  Shrug

I really liked the Clapton 74/75 set, even though I have the two albums it "expands."  It anchors it, perhaps?  In the case of Made In California box, I think the first disc of 60's hits has been done to death -- so I stand by my criticism of that box.  But these 70s albums could use the exposure.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:07:09 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2014, 09:37:31 AM »

To me... this bedroom period (68-74) is kind of a total mess of stuff. It's post-SMiLE, Wild Honey, Smiley, Friends, 20/20, Old man river, Brother Records, Danny Hutton, Spring, Charles fcking Manson, Warner Bro., Sunflower, Carl & the Passions, Holland, Surf's Down... It's just a big blob of everything and nothing
This is the problem.  The coining of the phrase Bedroom Tapes is convenient purely from a future marketing point of view but the fact is that what looks likely to be gathered together under that terms spans a whole mess of different years and projects.  It's pretty wide-ranging and probably inaccurate to lump it all togetehr in that way.

It's a shame that this wasn't alluded to in the text, or even plugged at the foot of Part One of the feature… surely someone missed a trick in the marketing department there?

Looking forward to it though…

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2014, 02:49:13 PM »

It's a shame that this wasn't alluded to in the text, or even plugged at the foot of Part One of the feature… surely someone missed a trick in the marketing department there?

Looking forward to it though…

Tricky to allude to or plug something that didn't exist at the time. When published, 'Part One' was, in fact, 'The Only Part'.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2014, 02:51:35 PM »

Curiouser and curiouser said Alex … or something…

It's almost as if someone on this LA Weekly reads this board … as if that were possible…
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 02:53:41 PM by John Manning » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2014, 03:27:39 PM »

One way to approach a release like this is to package it with another, well known album.  I'm thinking of something like Clapton's Give Me Strength:  The '74/'75 Recordings

HUh!!  You had me there. at first I thought yu meant Capitol should pair it with  a  Clapton recording....   

Curiouser and curiouser said Alex … or something…

It's almost as if someone on this LA Weekly reads this board … as if that were possible…

As if ANYONE in LA can read....   Please use some sense before posting, John!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 04, 2014, 03:43:36 PM »

The packaging for the CDs could be in the shape of a bed.  The 'covers' would lift up to reveal some lovely CDs inside.  A tray could slide out the other end, containing the hardback book.  Remember where you read it first BRI! Wink
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 04, 2014, 08:01:33 PM »

The packaging for the CDs could be in the shape of a bed.  The 'covers' would lift up to reveal some lovely CDs inside.  A tray could slide out the other end, containing the hardback book.  Remember where you read it first BRI! Wink

Nah. I'd think more along the lines of Metal Box, only as a circular metal ashtray instead of a tape canister. LOL

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 04, 2014, 09:01:26 PM »

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2014, 09:08:10 PM »

The original artwork by Koren Shadmi
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:11:01 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2014, 09:47:55 PM »

YES.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 04, 2014, 11:00:03 PM »

LOL
I was thinking a digi-pack in the shape of Brian in his bathrobe, ala the RR shot from the Tom Nolan article - the CD label could be a shot of his hairy gut, which fits snuggly into the robe

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 05, 2014, 09:39:06 PM »

I haven't read the article, did they call up Brian and ask him about it?  That would take the article from 'cool' to 'legendary' and I'll bet Brian would do it.  LA Weekly, he lives in LA, he loves sh*t like that.  Call him up!
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 05, 2014, 09:50:45 PM »

Nothing to see here...I just peed a little, that's all.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 05, 2014, 10:04:38 PM »

LOL

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 06, 2014, 12:42:38 AM »

Would Brian even like the idea of calling it "The Bedroom Tapes"? I'd have to think he's had it up to here with the crazy Brian Wilson thing. If Brian doesn't mind, I think Melinda Wilson would. Besides which, he didn't work in his bedroom, but the living room. That's where his studio and piano were located. Maybe they could call it "10452 Bellagio. "
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 06, 2014, 01:10:32 AM »

Would Brian even like the idea of calling it "The Bedroom Tapes"? I'd have to think he's had it up to here with the crazy Brian Wilson thing. If Brian doesn't mind, I think Melinda Wilson would. Besides which, he didn't work in his bedroom, but the living room. That's where his studio and piano were located. Maybe they could call it "10452 Bellagio. "

Some guy's already patented that title for one of those "no comment allowed" info websites…
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 01:11:30 AM by John Manning » Logged

Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 06, 2014, 01:19:53 AM »

I can't believe everybody seems to believe this material is probably going to be released. I would love to see it released, but we gotta be very realistic. A boxset full of demos in the vein of Still I Dream Of It and California Feeling '74 is just not going to happen. The material is so rough. It's just interesting for the diehard fans like us. But I don't think it's ever going to get a full blown major label release...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: February 06, 2014, 01:59:08 AM »

I...wouldn't be surprised if some of those songs are heard in some shape or form when the movie comes out...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx