gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680909 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 03:18:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's vocal on California Saga Single  (Read 16459 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 03:14:48 PM »

The single version also fixes up a miscue or something re the vocals on the second chorus - on the album cut, Mike's comes in early with a "Get yourself in that", realises just after he sings "Git".  

I love that mistake. It gives it a funky sound imo. But I must admit I never realized it was there on one version and not on the other. Guess I'll have to listen to it later

But it shouldn'tve been very hard to delete that part

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2012, 03:29:19 PM »

Just to add to the conversation... FWIW, I remember reading around the time the WOTS comp was being released that the album version was ultimately used on the comp because the tape and/or fidelity (?) of the existing single mix wasn't in as good of condition as the album version.  Anybody recall  that?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2012, 03:36:20 PM »

The Brother Years best of mastering is a little odd. It sounds really compressed (would anyone here even know if the original 45 was this compressed? I doubt it is, but no way to know given I don't have a copy and likely never will) and the quality is indeed a little odd.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2012, 05:25:58 PM »

....maybe the album isn't mastered at the right speed, I don't know.

Mr. Desper has posited this too, although I think he laid the blame at the equipment in Holland.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2012, 06:15:27 PM »

I think the Ten Years Of Harmony vinyl edition has the single version of "California Saga". I don't recall it sounding sped up, though. I'll have to dig it out and re-listen to it.

Some of the early pressings of MIU on CD did have the incorrect version of "Come Go With Me". It also had different versions of "Peggy Sue" and "Winds Of Change". I don't recall "Hey Little Tomboy" being officially released in any alternate form.

On a related note, the early Beach Boys Love You CD's had a version of "Honkin' Down The Highway" without the drum intro. Hard to believe something like that could happen with a group as huge as The Beach Boys.

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 07:07:12 PM »

The Brother Years best of mastering is a little odd. It sounds really compressed (would anyone here even know if the original 45 was this compressed? I doubt it is, but no way to know given I don't have a copy and likely never will) and the quality is indeed a little odd.

Yeah, the s sounds are not pleasant to hear on shitty earbuds that came free with my smartphone.

No mas, por favor.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2012, 10:47:57 PM »

Just to add to the conversation... FWIW, I remember reading around the time the WOTS comp was being released that the album version was ultimately used on the comp because the tape and/or fidelity (?) of the existing single mix wasn't in as good of condition as the album version.  Anybody recall  that?

IIRC it was also the reason why the LP version appears on the '93 box.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2012, 12:11:37 AM »

Was Sumahama really a hit in the UK?  I find it weird that song would be a hit anywhere.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2012, 05:34:01 AM »

I think the Ten Years Of Harmony vinyl edition has the single version of "California Saga". I don't recall it sounding sped up, though. I'll have to dig it out and re-listen to it.

Some of the early pressings of MIU on CD did have the incorrect version of "Come Go With Me". It also had different versions of "Peggy Sue" and "Winds Of Change". I don't recall "Hey Little Tomboy" being officially released in any alternate form.

On a related note, the early Beach Boys Love You CD's had a version of "Honkin' Down The Highway" without the drum intro. Hard to believe something like that could happen with a group as huge as The Beach Boys.

Yeah, that was the single version of Honkin' Down The Highway.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2012, 10:14:18 PM »

sounds good to me. Razz

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2012, 01:10:20 PM »

I've always loved the GH3(BOBY) comp because it is the only place to find the single versions on CD of RARM, It's OK, and California Saga...I really hope that they include these on the new boxed set if it comes out.  All 3 are WAY better than the album versions, particularly RARM.  Another single version that needs official release is School Day.  The single version is WAY better...the only CD comp that it was released on, to my knowledge, is the UK release of Ten Years of Harmony.  I had a chance to buy it once, used, but the guy was charging $25, which to me at the time, did not seem worth it since I had purchased the US version for $18 just a few months before.  How I wish I had bought it now!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2012, 01:33:36 PM »

I've always loved the GH3(BOBY) comp because it is the only place to find the single versions on CD of RARM, It's OK, and California Saga...I really hope that they include these on the new boxed set if it comes out.  All 3 are WAY better than the album versions, particularly RARM.  Another single version that needs official release is School Day.  The single version is WAY better...the only CD comp that it was released on, to my knowledge, is the UK release of Ten Years of Harmony.  I had a chance to buy it once, used, but the guy was charging $25, which to me at the time, did not seem worth it since I had purchased the US version for $18 just a few months before.  How I wish I had bought it now!

How did the single version of "School days" differ from the album version ?
I'd love a comp of just the original single version/mixes of songs. Until this thread I didn't know that "Honkin'..." had a single version. BTW I think the drum itro is cool and can't see why they cut that...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2012, 01:49:17 PM »

I imagine the drum intro was just cut for time.

The oddities released on those first CD editions are very hard to find on the interwebz, and I'm sure the CDs themselves are expensive as f***. So yeah, it'd indeed be nice to see the single mixes, incorrect mixes (not a chance, I realize), and the alternate recordings that accidentally made their way onto them.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 02:19:16 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2012, 02:16:22 PM »

How did the single version of "School days" differ from the album version ?

I'm not at home at the moment, so I can't listen to it, but I do remember that the intro was different, and there was a loud bell that sounded like the start of a boxing match.  Lots of sound effects, AJ style.  I think the background vocals were mixed down a little, which the album version really needed.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2012, 02:27:03 PM »

The oddities released on those first CD editions are very hard to find on the interwebz, and I'm sure the CDs themselves are expensive as f***. So yeah, it'd indeed be nice to see the single mixes, incorrect mixes (not a chance, I realize), and the alternate recordings that accidentally made their way onto them.

I think the reason they're hard to find is that the people who bought them originally didn't know or care about the errors and don't realize now that there is some collector demand for them. I've seen plenty out there though, in used CD shops. I got the whole set about 4 years ago for $3.99 each all at once at my favorite record store on my college campus. I've seen a few of them scattered here and there at places since, similarly priced. Just be patient, they're out there.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2012, 02:35:48 PM »

I think the reason they're hard to find is that the people who bought them originally didn't know or care about the errors and don't realize now that there is some collector demand for them. I've seen plenty out there though, in used CD shops. I got the whole set about 4 years ago for $3.99 each all at once at my favorite record store on my college campus. I've seen a few of them scattered here and there at places since, similarly priced. Just be patient, they're out there.

Hrm, what are the packaging differences between those and the corrected releases?

I've never seen a proper Beach Boys album in a store sans Pet Sounds and That's Why God Made The Radio. I look every time, but I never see anything beyond those. Looking online, I'd imagine most of the time I'd be buying it from someone who knows they have something special, and it'd be a gamble for obvious reasons.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2012, 02:58:29 PM »

Hrm, what are the packaging differences between those and the corrected releases?

I've never seen a proper Beach Boys album in a store sans Pet Sounds and That's Why God Made The Radio. I look every time, but I never see anything beyond those. Looking online, I'd imagine most of the time I'd be buying it from someone who knows they have something special, and it'd be a gamble for obvious reasons.

I'm fairly certain the only single CD releases in the U.S, at least of the '70s albums, were from this Caribou series. They're numbered ZK 46950 (Sunflower) through ZK 46957 (MIU) and odd man out LA numbered ZK 35752. Front cover looks normal with "DIGITALLY REMASTERED" across the bottom and the backs have a gray, sand-like background with track lists, production credits and logos for Caribou, Epic and Brother across the bottom.

Buying stuff like this online is tough, because the people who are selling it do generally know the value. Your best bet to find deals on used records are small shops that don't specialize in collector's items, or places like used books stores or antique shops that sell records, but don't focus on it. Just last night I scored a NM copy of the '83 rarities LP for $2.99 at Half Priced Books. Unfortunately the sticker with the price is stuck right to the front of it, but I should be able to heat it off.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2012, 03:18:46 PM »

I'm fairly certain the only single CD releases in the U.S, at least of the '70s albums, were from this Caribou series. They're numbered ZK 46950 (Sunflower) through ZK 46957 (MIU) and odd man out LA numbered ZK 35752. Front cover looks normal with "DIGITALLY REMASTERED" across the bottom and the backs have a gray, sand-like background with track lists, production credits and logos for Caribou, Epic and Brother across the bottom.

Buying stuff like this online is tough, because the people who are selling it do generally know the value. Your best bet to find deals on used records are small shops that don't specialize in collector's items, or places like used books stores or antique shops that sell records, but don't focus on it. Just last night I scored a NM copy of the '83 rarities LP for $2.99 at Half Priced Books. Unfortunately the sticker with the price is stuck right to the front of it, but I should be able to heat it off.

Wow, thanks a lot four yer help ^_^ didn't expect such a detailed answer.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2012, 04:21:41 PM »

I still have those original Reprise/Caribou/whatever CD's. I haven't been following the collectors' circles. How much are they selling for?

I was a big fan at the time and immediately recognized the differences in the alternate versions. It was a coincidence that almost every "wrong" version featured an Al Jardine lead vocal. "Come Go With Me", "Peggy Sue", "Winds Of Change", "Honkin", "School Days" -  I thought it was some kind of conspiracy!

One quick thing on that alternate "School Days", and this is from memory; probably haven't listened to the Ten Years Of Harmony vinyl in twenty years....The acapella intro was different, as mentioned above the bell was louder/different, and I believe there was an overall different mix, a superior mix.

Like somebody mentioned, it would be cool to have all the different mixes on one collection. You could add "Livin' With A Heartache" to the list.

There are a couple of other interesting deviations on the Reprise twofer CD's, also. "Til I Die" was extended significantly, "Wontcha Come Out Tonight" was either lengthened or shortened (I can't remember), "Palisades Park" was lengthened, "Sumahama" was lengthened, and a couple of more were altered. The initial Pacific Ocean Blue CD had all kind of extended endings, too.
SBonilla
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2012, 04:31:47 PM »

Unfortunately the sticker with the price is stuck right to the front of it, but I should be able to heat it off.
Lighter fluid works on most stickers. I have been using for many a moon.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2012, 05:05:43 PM »

There are a couple of other interesting deviations on the Reprise twofer CD's, also. "Til I Die" was extended significantly, "Wontcha Come Out Tonight" was either lengthened or shortened (I can't remember), "Palisades Park" was lengthened, "Sumahama" was lengthened, and a couple of more were altered. The initial Pacific Ocean Blue CD had all kind of extended endings, too.

AGGGHHHHHHHG*WQEH*)G)*EWQ*HG*H#Q

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2012, 12:29:53 AM »

Best of the Brother Years is the only place to get 3 single versions of California, RARM and It's Ok on cd? Because that one is very easy to buy on amazon.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2012, 02:51:59 AM »

Until this thread I didn't know that "Honkin'..." had a single version. BTW I think the drum itro is cool and can't see why they cut that...

Neither did I re the single version!!  Bellagio does indeed list the following US single; 5/77 Bro-Rep 1389 Honkin' Down The Highway/Solar System.

However, I thought the truncated intro was on the Cairbou CD release due to a mastering error (as per AGD book)

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2012, 03:12:16 AM »

I got the whole set about 4 years ago for $3.99 each all at once at my favorite record store on my college campus. I've seen a few of them scattered here and there at places since, similarly priced. Just be patient, they're out there.

Sheesh - Oh, nice score, dude!!!  Rock! That's what I call bein' in the right place at the right time.  Did you also score POB as part of the set?

I bought the Caribou edition of In Concert about 10 years ago($9) , and just chanced upon 15 Big Ones last Friday ($12.95), but that's the only time I've seen (affordable items).

From what I've read (AGD book again), the messiest Cbou CD is MIU Album, which contains non-album mixes of Come Go with me (15BO sessions mix), Peggy Sue (rough mix) and Winds of Change (incomplete mix, but what's the diff).

I would say the only way to hear the eroneous caribou versions would be through the kindness of community minded individuals or as you stumble upon 2nd hand versions.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
MBE
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2012, 03:28:13 AM »

Hey I hope a lot of you do listen to the vinyl Ten Years Of Harmony, it is one of the best sounding releases ever on the Beach Boys.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx