gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 06:25:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Disney album...what would you put on it and why?  (Read 6703 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2010, 06:59:08 AM »

Again, my impression is that only 'classic' Disney - that is, up to and including the 60s - will be considered. Could be wrong of course.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2010, 08:03:40 AM »

Blue Shadows is from The Three Amigos, isn't it? Unless I'm missing something  Huh

"Blue Shadows On the Trail" is from Melody Time.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2010, 08:11:02 AM »

Again, my impression is that only 'classic' Disney - that is, up to and including the 60s - will be considered. Could be wrong of course.

i'd hazard it'll only be songs Brian is familiar with.  so the 90's songs might/prob wont' make it.  unless his kiddies watch em a lot.  but then i'd bet his fav are the "classic" disney. 
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2010, 11:47:47 AM »

But I so hope you're right!

"Jeff, you care." --BW
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2010, 02:54:03 PM »

Blue Shadows is from The Three Amigos, isn't it? Unless I'm missing something  Huh

"Blue Shadows On the Trail" is from Melody Time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-jOOFw-ITA this? That's a real nice song. Probably not a likely candidate for the album as it's not 'classic' Disney, sadly.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2010, 08:46:27 AM »

But I so hope you're right!

No covers of Elton John and Phil Collins then? Damn shame!!  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2010, 11:32:51 AM »

They'll probably all be in English, but it would be great if he did some songs in other languages: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7tQTe32L4I

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2010, 11:58:17 AM »

'Zippee De Doo Dah' (Although he's got Nilsson to beat on that last one though).
Don't forget that Spector did a version that did decent on the charts. That's all the more reason that I think Brian will cover it. Other ideas:

Brian should do "The Walrus and the Carpenter" as a duet with Paul McCartney. "Heigh-ho" from Snow White would make a good opener/reprise, as Brian always has to have one now (personally, I'm getting a little sick of that, but whatever). The percussion and harmonies are so Brian. Also, a music video has to be done for "Bare Necessities", with Brian as Baloo and Darian as Mowgli. "Everybody Wants To Be A Cat" would be a fun cover too, even if just an instrumental. As for more modern songs, the Elton John connection points toward Brian doing "Circle of Life", I think. Or maybe the Randy Newman connection means he'll do "You Got a Friend in Me".  Brian likes songs about friendship.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2010, 12:05:46 PM »

What Randy Newman connection does Brian have? I thought he just listened to Sail Away obsessively when he was in Holland nursing his depression? Did he ever work with him or meet him or anything? (I know Newman confessed that, despite including them in a litany of superficial things about L.A. in "I Love L.A.", he did actually like them, if that's what you mean.)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2010, 12:27:24 PM »

Brian should do "The Walrus and the Carpenter" as a duet with Paul McCartney.

Please, someone explain to me this incessant desire for Brian to do anything with Macca except avoid him completely. They're almost exactly the same age, they both play(ed) bass, they were both in reasonably successful bands and wrote the odd good choon - sorry, not reason enough, and anyway, they tried it once and it was totally embarrassing on any level you care to mention.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2010, 12:42:35 PM »

I only suggested "The Walrus and the Carpenter" because I thought it would be humorous for those two to sing it in earnest, especially with the loopy arrangement the song would suggest. After all of the "I am the Walrus" hubbub and 60s acid messiah rock star nonsense, it would be great for those two legends two play around with those mythos. It's the exact kind of daring, I think, that Brian's camp has lacked. It was a mistake to have Paul collaborate with Brian on that Hallmark commercial of a song otherwise known as "A Friend Like You". It was way too safe. I think this would make sense. But that's just me.

As for the Wilson/Newman connection... you're right O, there isn't much of a connection besides Sail Away. In fact, a quick search brought up this:

KP: Did you see Brian Wilson much during those days [mid-60s] in Los Angeles?

NEWMAN: Very seldom. I’d see Van Dyke Parks, Ry Cooder, Don Henley - but I had a family and wasn’t really part of the scene, or the Troubadour thing.

I know Brian liked Harry Nilsson a lot, and I imagine that he was a fan of Nilsson Sings Newman (wasn't Brian Wilson Reimagines Gerswhin originally going to be titled Wilson Sings Gerswhin?). Besides all of that, "Friend Like You" just sounds like a song Brian would like and it would help give the album a slightly more contemporary edge. The song was still referenced in Toy Story 3.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2010, 12:52:43 PM »

Actually, I take some of that back... "A Friend Like You" makes me feel surprisingly nostalgic. Still, it was meaningless to include Paul on it.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2010, 01:25:46 PM »

'Zippee De Doo Dah' (Although he's got Nilsson to beat on that last one though).
Don't forget that Spector did a version that did decent on the charts. That's all the more reason that I think Brian will cover it. Other ideas:

Brian should do "The Walrus and the Carpenter" as a duet with Paul McCartney.

I'd love to hear the song played in the spirit of 'I Am The Walrus' (as you mentioned before) and I think McCartney's voice would be perfect for it - singing in a whimsical style.

I'm not too keen on this new project, but after hearing the samples of BWRG I really can't wait to see what he does with these old Disney tunes.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2010, 10:02:03 AM »

Van Dyke produced and arranged most of Randy Newman's debut album. Randy wrote "Vine St" for the "Song Cycle" record. They were both on Lenny Warnker's  Warner Bros Label at the time I believe. Maybe Brian crossed paths with him through Van once or twice??

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2010, 10:14:06 AM »

Oh, yeah, that kinda thing. I thought you meant something other than that, sorry. (This also means that Brian has a connection with Ry Cooder, since both Van Dyke and Newman both played on a number of Cooder's `70s albums. I guess we don't know what Ry thinks of Brian though. LOL)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2010, 01:02:01 PM »

The song was still referenced in Toy Story 3.

A little OT, but for some reason I could've sworn that Toy Story 3 originally came out in 2000.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2010, 01:45:49 PM »

Oh, yeah, that kinda thing. I thought you meant something other than that, sorry. (This also means that Brian has a connection with Ry Cooder, since both Van Dyke and Newman both played on a number of Cooder's `70s albums. I guess we don't know what Ry thinks of Brian though. LOL)

He played live with him too... There's this footage which always make me giggle on youtube because Ry's band are dressed like gruff, hardworking authentic bluesmen, only for Van Dyke to sit at his piano in a suit and bowtie  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx