gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 07:18:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Record None Of Us Has...  (Read 6809 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2009, 07:54:34 AM »

...is 'SMiLE', Unsurpassed Masters, #16. None of us heard it either, of course. So: everything is much OK. But: what is the consensus on that one?

I like it a lot, for its clear, uncluttered sound. The few quibbles I do have sink into oblivion compared to the joy it gives me. Over to you. Be brave.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 04:01:10 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 08:27:33 AM »

Are you talking about the CD version, or the LP version (neither of which I have...)?

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 08:31:18 AM »

Are you talking about the CD version, or the LP version (neither of which I have...)?

I don't have the CD.

?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 10:18:08 AM »

I like the cd quite a bit.  The record is cool to have, but man it's noisy.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 10:43:47 AM »

If I had the CD, which I don't, but if I did, I'd have to say that one thing that struck me after listening to BWPS was how close the track listing was to that of the CD which I don't have.

I don't just mean the tracks on the album, I mean the actual running order in several places.

I read, possibly on this very board, that Darian Sahanaja was a long-term SMiLE fan and reckon it's safe to assume that he, like us, didn't have this CD. I wonder therefore if its playing order was any influence on him when he sat down with Brian and introduced him to the wonders of iTunes playlists, of GarageBand or whatever it was.

Another thought I had about the boot was that it was a shame they'd had to use some legit-released stuff on it to recreate a SMiLE album.  Not a great believer in bootleggers using legit-released stuff, and that was the CD's one weakness.  I hear.

The fact that they also used a version of Child that wasn't on Vol 17 of USM made me wonder whether they had any other leftovers they could have treated us to -  though it would never have been a treat as we none of us know how to source such treats.

By the way, thread title should be "A Record None Of Us Has...". "None" is an abbreviation of "no-one", which implies singular.

MBE
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 02:27:10 PM »

I like the cd quite a bit.  The record is cool to have, but man it's noisy.
It is a little but to hear the In The Cantina bit on vinyl just gives it a whole new feel. I am glad it "doesn't" exist.
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

I have a License To Quill

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 02:45:57 PM »

Grin What do you mean "none of us have"? I have it. As a folder of files. I haven't made a CD with it yet. I have all of the UM series. Maybe I should master them and make CDs out of each?
   I prefer the original Beach Boys versions of the songs as well. Since it was "fresh" then. Coming back to a project after such a long time doesn't have the same "vibe" or youthfulness.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 12:50:08 AM »

If I had the CD, which I don't, but if I did, I'd have to say that one thing that struck me after listening to BWPS was how close the track listing was to that of the CD which I don't have.

I don't just mean the tracks on the album, I mean the actual running order in several places.

I read, possibly on this very board, that Darian Sahanaja was a long-term SMiLE fan and reckon it's safe to assume that he, like us, didn't have this CD. I wonder therefore if its playing order was any influence on him when he sat down with Brian and introduced him to the wonders of iTunes playlists, of GarageBand or whatever it was.

Another thought I had about the boot was that it was a shame they'd had to use some legit-released stuff on it to recreate a SMiLE album.  Not a great believer in bootleggers using legit-released stuff, and that was the CD's one weakness.  I hear.

The fact that they also used a version of Child that wasn't on Vol 17 of USM made me wonder whether they had any other leftovers they could have treated us to -  though it would never have been a treat as we none of us know how to source such treats.

By the way, thread title should be "A Record None Of Us Has...". "None" is an abbreviation of "no-one", which implies singular.

police As a firm custodian of the law, I must say, chap/m'lady, that this is one of the funniest and most consequent/consistent posts I have read in ages... LOL
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 12:50:59 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 01:10:07 AM »

If a CD that nobody has is played when no one is listening, does it make a noise? Huh Grin

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 01:26:50 AM »

If a CD that nobody has is played when no one is listening, does it make a noise? Huh Grin

I would refer you to the works of that eminent philospher Bishop George Berkeley. Read his 'Three Dialogues', for instance. The central question is: does something exist when no one is perceiving it?

His answer: yes, it does, because God is always perceiving it.

I hope that satisfies your query, at least partially.

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 01:20:38 AM »

Unfortunately, the renowned philosopher's answer doesn't address the existential question
from a secular standpoint. Sad

Daly, Chicago 1968
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 02:26:52 AM »

Unfortunately, the renowned philosopher's answer doesn't address the existential question

I pondered your predicament. And I did a thought experiment. Imagine an unmanned Space Shuttle, that has only a CD player and a tape recorder on board. Now, we take that CD that no one has (allegedly) and we put it in the player. We shoot the shuttle in orbit, and then, with a remote, start the player and the tape recorder simultaneously.

After the shuttle has returned to earth, we take the tape machine out, and listen to what's on the tape. And, hey presto, there is SOT 16 in all its splendour! So it DID make noise after all... does that make sense?

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 03:54:53 AM »

I pondered your predicament. And I did a thought experiment. Imagine an unmanned Space Shuttle, that has only a CD player and a tape recorder on board. Now, we take that CD that no one has (allegedly) and we put it in the player. We shoot the shuttle in orbit, and then, with a remote, start the player and the tape recorder simultaneously.

After the shuttle has returned to earth, we take the tape machine out, and listen to what's on the tape. And, hey presto, there is SOT 16 in all its splendour! So it DID make noise after all... does that make sense?

So THATS how we get bootlegs... i wondered where i was going wrong  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 04:11:50 AM »

If the tape was blank, would you ever know whether either:

a) the experiment proved that there's no sound when there's no-one around to perceive it, or

b) the remote malfunctioned?

Or whether, even, actually, USM 16 doesn't actually exist.

After all, we don't have one... and I sure NASA doesn't either.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 04:18:37 AM »

If the tape was blank, would you ever know whether either:

a) the experiment proved that there's no sound when there's no-one around to perceive it, or

b) the remote malfunctioned?

Or whether, even, actually, USM 16 doesn't actually exist.

After all, we don't have one... and I sure NASA doesn't either.

Smokin Cool... it actually took me a while to get the whole joke... and I am sure that NASA doesn't... although there is a planetoid named after Brian Douglas Wilson, of course...

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 04:20:04 AM »

So THATS how we get bootlegs... i wondered where i was going wrong  Grin

...and this is cool too... I wonder, which astronaut smuggled all those SOT digital videotapes with him to create that Unsurpassed Masters CD catalogue? The Russian?

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 05:05:55 AM »

Have to assume you've read Lewis Shiner's Glimpses, and his fictional recreation of an album that nobody had until he went back in time via his stereo and encouraged Brian to finish it, so he could return back to the present and get a copy, essentially?

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 05:19:17 AM »

Have to assume you've read Lewis Shiner's Glimpses, and his fictional recreation of an album that nobody had until he went back in time via his stereo and encouraged Brian to finish it, so he could return back to the present and get a copy, essentially?

No. I know of the book, but never read it. Is it well-written?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 05:45:29 AM »

The amusing part of it all is that Shiner didn't hear any of the, ah, 'archive' Smile material until after he'd written the book.  Smiley

The even more amusing part is that since it was published, I've seen "Free Fall" and "Grand Canyon" included in list of Smile tracks.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2009, 06:32:09 AM »

I loved it and its lovely hypothetical reconstruction of the making - and completion - of SMiLE also introduced me to the Doors' Celebration of the Lizard (and therefore the Doors catalogue) and other albums/songs that never happened.

His treatment of Brian Wilson as a person also seems very respectful...

... if only it had all happened that way!

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2009, 06:44:30 AM »

I loved it and its lovely hypothetical reconstruction of the making - and completion - of SMiLE also introduced me to the Doors' Celebration of the Lizard (and therefore the Doors catalogue) and other albums/songs that never happened.

His treatment of Brian Wilson as a person also seems very respectful...

... if only it had all happened that way!

Well... do you know the Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Physics?

The Song Of The Grange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 07:51:44 AM »

I thought Shiner actually had some pretty good ideas about the finished Smile.  There is a H&V track floating around on the world wide inter webs (which I never had) that seems to try to replicate Shiner's layout for H&V, starting with the sound of a bicycle and so on.  It threw me off for a long time, I thought it was an authentic mix.  There are things that give it away though, like the use of vocal parts from the Wild Honey versions of Mama Says.  Funny how much I know about this track that has never been in my collection.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 08:32:33 AM »

There is a H&V track floating around on the world wide inter webs (which I never had) that seems to try to replicate Shiner's layout for H&V, starting with the sound of a bicycle and so on. ...  Funny how much I know about this track that has never been in my collection.

Sounds fascinating - like just the sort of thing I hope I don't ever have in my collection.

If I'd never had it in my collection, I'd know what you were talking about but I never have so I probably never will. And never might, unless someone who definitely didn't have it could see their way to making sure I don't get it... 

PM, maybe?    Grin

Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2009, 01:06:08 PM »

yes, when a 'best of UM16' gets released in january 1967.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2009, 11:00:33 PM »

yes, when a 'best of UM16' gets released in january 1967.

O.K., who's going to volunteer to go back and make it happen? I guess whoever it is would
have to possess the unique empathic and other gifts that Shiner's protagonist possessed (it's been a while since I read it). Never mind.... Undecided

Daly, Chicago 1968
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx