gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680935 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 06:22:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love & Mercy Blu-Ray/DVD Official thread  (Read 55083 times)
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: September 14, 2015, 04:16:45 PM »

Updated my Amazon review:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3UC4LQDH0Q13N/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01127XNHQ
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 08:56:28 AM by JCM » Logged

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 15, 2015, 08:29:19 AM »

Some reviews for the Home Video release..

http://www.popmatters.com/review/love-mercy-and-the-dualities-of-brian-wilson/
http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Love-Mercy-Blu-ray.shtml
http://flavorwire.com/537591/the-5-best-movies-to-buy-or-stream-this-week-love-and-mercy-the-overnight

KDS
« Reply #152 on: September 15, 2015, 08:40:41 AM »

I wonder if its worth waiting to see if a directors cut will be released. 

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 15, 2015, 09:08:58 AM »

If it were me, I wouldn't wait. I honestly don't think we'll ever see an extended cut of the film. I feel kind of fortunate to have gotten the deleted scenes we did, quite frankly. And the audio commentary track. I wasn't certain those things would be included but I'm overjoyed that they were.

Just comparing with another biopic about a larger than life artist, Johnny Cash ("Walk the Line"); there was an extended cut that James Mangold did of that film for Home Video several years after the fact. But that film also did monster box office business. I know I want an extended cut of "Love & Mercy" and probably everyone reading this would welcome it, too. The fact is though, I'm not sure there is a big enough demand for them to do it. I sure would love to be wrong, I would sign up to hold a sign saying "I'm wrong!". Smiley

An extended cut of "Love & Mercy" has sort of become a holy grail for me. Something to wish for that probably won't happen. And if it ever did happen I think it would be just an "extended cut" and not a directors cut, per se. I kind of got the feeling from the interviews I've read and from the commentary track that the film sort of took shape more or less during the editing process. That the editor and director Pohlad really wanted to keep the focus on Brian and trim away anything that slowed the momentum. So, in essence, the theatrical version is the 'directors cut'. Anything else would just be an extended version.

KDS
« Reply #154 on: September 15, 2015, 09:14:34 AM »

If it were me, I wouldn't wait. I honestly don't think we'll ever see an extended cut of the film. I feel kind of fortunate to have gotten the deleted scenes we did, quite frankly. And the audio commentary track. I wasn't certain those things would be included but I'm overjoyed that they were.

Just comparing with another biopic about a larger than life artist, Johnny Cash ("Walk the Line"); there was an extended cut that James Mangold did of that film for Home Video several years after the fact. But that film also did monster box office business. I know I want an extended cut of "Love & Mercy" and probably everyone reading this would welcome it, too. The fact is though, I'm not sure there is a big enough demand for them to do it. I sure would love to be wrong, I would sign up to hold a sign saying "I'm wrong!". Smiley

An extended cut of "Love & Mercy" has sort of become a holy grail for me. Something to wish for that probably won't happen. And if it ever did happen I think it would be just an "extended cut" and not a directors cut, per se. I kind of got the feeling from the interviews I've read and from the commentary track that the film sort of took shape more or less during the editing process. That the editor and director Pohlad really wanted to keep the focus on Brian and trim away anything that slowed the momentum. So, in essence, the theatrical version is the 'directors cut'. Anything else would just be an extended version.

Good points. 

Also, I don't think there's as much of a demand for physical product as there was when Walk the Line was released. 

I'm still gonna see if Little Saint Nick wants to drop a BluRay in my stocking. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: September 15, 2015, 09:42:06 AM »

You have to look at this from the point of film of this being a film, as opposed to a Beach Boys/Brian product. The “Director’s Cut” is the film we saw in the theater, and is being released on home video. That’s presumably the vision he had for the film. Anything else would just be an “extended cut.” Nobody really knows how much extra footage was shot. You also have to keep in mind that some footage may have been shot but was quickly dropped from contention to be in the finished cut, and would require additional post-production (in other words, more money) to loop dialogue, etc.

From every interview I’ve read in relation to this film, I haven’t heard anything that suggests a huge, extensively longer version of the film was shot and is screaming for a release. The stuff we’ve heard about sounds like just extra stuff, perfect for the “deleted scenes” feature (I certainly wouldn’t have complained about even *more* deleted scenes being included if available). This isn’t one of those cases where the studio took the film away from the director and made him cut a ton of stuff out and change the entire feel of the film. Pohland and company seem pretty happy with what they submitted as the final film.

All of that, coupled with the economic realities in terms of marketability, would suggest to me that any “Extended Cut” is probably unlike to happen, at least anytime soon.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 15, 2015, 09:49:18 AM »

Pohlad is the producer as well as the director -- he financed and owns the film, I believe -- meaning that the director's cut is what was released in theaters.
KDS
« Reply #157 on: September 15, 2015, 09:53:17 AM »

Good points. 

Thanks for the input. 
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 15, 2015, 10:03:23 AM »

Interestingly, the MSRP has been updated and the price of the Blu Ray has increased on both amazon and walmart. It's up to $17-18 now. I was going to pick it up as an impulse purchase today, but now I'll probably just grab it from Redbox and wait until it's cheaper.
JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 15, 2015, 10:38:53 AM »

Got my DVD today, watching now!  Smiley

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 15, 2015, 11:05:19 AM »

Pohlad is the producer as well as the director -- he financed and owns the film, I believe -- meaning that the director's cut is what was released in theaters.

Yep, all of the deleted scenes bear the imprint of 'River Road LLC'.

DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 15, 2015, 12:55:42 PM »

How many deleted scenes are included?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 15, 2015, 12:56:28 PM »

How many deleted scenes are included?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 15, 2015, 01:00:29 PM »

I just got the blu-ray in the mail today. Partly through the commentary version right now; pretty interesting how many little scenes were left out of the movie. Pohlad explains a couple of them in the beginning.

Also, the featurettes are cool, the talk about Landy's wardrobe evolution was eye opening for me.

The deleted scenes are cool. I can see why they were left out, however I think the movie could've benefited from the Tony Asher scene. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the commentary later tonight.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 15, 2015, 04:05:44 PM »

I'm curious to know what you think, rab2591.

I feel a little silly for being so obsessed over this film so much, I'm sure I come off as a total nerd. Guilty as charge, I suppose.

debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 15, 2015, 05:15:39 PM »

Anyone know if the US blu-ray is region free? We often get shafted on extras here in Australia and the info for the local release looks like we might not get the commentary track :/

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 15, 2015, 05:27:18 PM »

Anyone know if the US blu-ray is region free? We often get shafted on extras here in Australia and the info for the local release looks like we might not get the commentary track :/

It is not, unfortunately, it's Region A. I hope Region B has all the same contents for ya!

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 15, 2015, 07:23:13 PM »

Who is going to be the first to create a fan edit soundtrack?
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 15, 2015, 07:33:05 PM »

Can we elect you to be the official Amazon comment spokesman that can respond to the goofs over there giving it 1 star and saying things like "it was no fun" or " I stopped watching it half through".

Seriously... For some reason these people are getting under my skin. To each his own is one thing, but I don't know if these are 15 year olds used to watching free stuff on YouTube and then making stupid comments or what. Everyone does not have to love it or give it 5 stars but really...these 1 and 2 star reviews are really pathetic. Another moron said in their review that there was hardly any Beach Boys music in it! What movie are you watching. It sure as hell isn't L&M if you think there isn't enough Beach Boys music.

It's like getting flipped off from the idiot that does not know how to drive and cuts YOU off. As Landy says "seriously man"!

Ok I'm done. Needed to vent. My Blu Ray came today from Amazon but it will be a few days before I have time to view it. I think I'm gonna have put my own two cents over there.
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 15, 2015, 10:45:47 PM »

Great review. By the way, the blue ray is on sale at best buy for 16.99$. I purchased a copy today at the Palm Springs, Ca location.

Make waves, not love
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 15, 2015, 10:52:57 PM »

Cover art now up on Amazon.  I'm underwhelmed by the artwork, personally, but really it's the contents that I'm most looking forward to.

No product details yet.
  I didn't realize the 80's Brian had a receding hairline.
KDS
« Reply #171 on: September 16, 2015, 05:33:22 AM »

Can we elect you to be the official Amazon comment spokesman that can respond to the goofs over there giving it 1 star and saying things like "it was no fun" or " I stopped watching it half through".

Seriously... For some reason these people are getting under my skin. To each his own is one thing, but I don't know if these are 15 year olds used to watching free stuff on YouTube and then making stupid comments or what. Everyone does not have to love it or give it 5 stars but really...these 1 and 2 star reviews are really pathetic. Another moron said in their review that there was hardly any Beach Boys music in it! What movie are you watching. It sure as hell isn't L&M if you think there isn't enough Beach Boys music.

It's like getting flipped off from the idiot that does not know how to drive and cuts YOU off. As Landy says "seriously man"!

Ok I'm done. Needed to vent. My Blu Ray came today from Amazon but it will be a few days before I have time to view it. I think I'm gonna have put my own two cents over there.

I read one Amazon review that was expecting a fun movie with beaches, bikinis, etc.  I guess that review is only familiar with The Beach Boys circa 1962-65 (and some later stuff).  And they obviously know nothing about the story.   
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: September 16, 2015, 05:40:39 AM »

The "comments" section of most websites (to be distinguished from actual message boards) are often cesspools of ignorance, trolls, and, at best, unintentional humor. Amazon comments are sometimes written by prolific, detailed reviewers (though sometimes those reviewers are apparently getting free copies from Amazon and posting disproportionately positive reviews; I think this may happen more with books), but are open to anyone, including folks who may not even own the item in question. Some of the comments are barely a step up from the ultimate mainstream "comments" cesspool, the YouTube comments section.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 16, 2015, 07:00:22 AM »

The "comments" section of most websites (to be distinguished from actual message boards) are often cesspools of ignorance, trolls, and, at best, unintentional humor. Amazon comments are sometimes written by prolific, detailed reviewers (though sometimes those reviewers are apparently getting free copies from Amazon and posting disproportionately positive reviews; I think this may happen more with books), but are open to anyone, including folks who may not even own the item in question. Some of the comments are barely a step up from the ultimate mainstream "comments" cesspool, the YouTube comments section.

I agree with you. I don't think it's right because it effects the actual rating of the film. And yesterday when I looked there were a string of 1 and 2 star reviews blocked together. At a glance people could assume the movie stinks. We just need to have faith that people with a brain will rise above that and factor in the positive reviews as well. And again, I don't mean to suggest people have to like it or should, it's just that if you want to gripe about it stick to reality and not perceived falsities or flat out lies.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 16, 2015, 07:07:53 AM »

I'm curious to know what you think, rab2591.

I feel a little silly for being so obsessed over this film so much, I'm sure I come off as a total nerd. Guilty as charge, I suppose.

Don't feel silly! I think all of us are really thankful for your diligence in keeping us updated with links and news regarding L&M. And it's one of those films that is worth getting obsessed over.

Wasn't able to finish the commentary track last night, but will get to it sometime later this week. Can't wait to hear what Pohlad and Moverman have to say about the bed montage!

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx