gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680964 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 08:25:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 114 115 116 [117] 118 119 120 121 122 ... 166 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New album info (as it rolls out...)  (Read 1065671 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: May 19, 2012, 05:43:08 PM »

Something I was thinking about - and (kind of) expanding on the thematic thing mentioned earlier. You can pick apart any album and find tracks you don't like as much as others. So, while we all haven't heard the full album yet, maybe try to take this viewpoint before judging it. This could be an album to grow on you as a whole. So, while, say,what I've heard of the lyrics to "Bill and Sue" might be a bit off putting as a single track, maybe it can be easier to dig as a part of the album, but only if the listener decides to think that way.

Bill and Sue... How can anybody not experience that unmistakable joie de vivre associated with BBs music when Brian sings the "from California to Mexico" part? His ageless sound bursting into the full-voiced imagery and musical colors that exist only in the mind of this distant man? When I hear a strong new Brian vocal like that I fall for his music and all that it represents all over again.

I think that particular line ("from California to Mexico") is Jeff.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2901 on: May 19, 2012, 05:46:08 PM »

Something I was thinking about - and (kind of) expanding on the thematic thing mentioned earlier. You can pick apart any album and find tracks you don't like as much as others. So, while we all haven't heard the full album yet, maybe try to take this viewpoint before judging it. This could be an album to grow on you as a whole. So, while, say,what I've heard of the lyrics to "Bill and Sue" might be a bit off putting as a single track, maybe it can be easier to dig as a part of the album, but only if the listener decides to think that way.

Bill and Sue... How can anybody not experience that unmistakable joie de vivre associated with BBs music when Brian sings the "from California to Mexico" part? His ageless sound bursting into the full-voiced imagery and musical colors that exist only in the mind of this distant man? When I hear a strong new Brian vocal like that I fall for his music and all that it represents all over again.
I feel the same way about the bridge to "Shelter," the 'make a little love' part. It is quintessential Brian, and I feel like he hasn't been that loose in his songwriting (for want of a better word) for a long, long time. I love the way he sings it.

Some critics dismissed "The Private Life..." as a tropical throwaway, missing the point entirely. The instrumentation used on that track is perfect for the composition. It is not shoehorned in there arbitrarily, swamped with small lizards and tiny umbrellas, like "Island Fever." It fits the song perfectly.

- B00ts
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: May 19, 2012, 05:51:55 PM »

I think that particular line ("from California to Mexico") is Jeff.

Hm. You could be onto something.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: May 20, 2012, 05:38:34 AM »

I figure I was able to quit smoking cigarettes, and I've lost 20 lbs so far (only eating salad, eggs, fruit & chicken.. 40 lbs to go! eek)

Which one would you suggest I check out if I could hear one out of the remaining 9?

I'd opt for the eggs. The eggs should definitely come before the chicken.

I think …

“We live in divisive times.”
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: May 20, 2012, 05:44:28 AM »

I figure I was able to quit smoking cigarettes, and I've lost 20 lbs so far (only eating salad, eggs, fruit & chicken.. 40 lbs to go! eek)

Which one would you suggest I check out if I could hear one out of the remaining 9?

I'd opt for the eggs. The eggs should definitely come before the chicken.

I think …

Good call.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: May 20, 2012, 07:46:24 AM »

Good point.  We've reached a situation where the lyrics to Bill and Sue are put down, but we consider the greatest album of all time to have lyrics like "Out In the Barnyard, The Chickens do their Number! Out In the Barnyard, The Cook Is Chopping Lumber!"
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: May 20, 2012, 08:17:11 AM »

Some critics dismissed "The Private Life..." as a tropical throwaway, missing the point entirely. The instrumentation used on that track is perfect for the composition. It is not shoehorned in there arbitrarily, swamped with small lizards and tiny umbrellas, like "Island Fever." It fits the song perfectly.
I like tPLoBaS.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 08:32:56 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: May 20, 2012, 08:50:09 AM »

The more I listen to Think About the Days, the more I'm reminded of 10CC's I'm Not In Love. A few folk liked that song…

Edit: and the track often billed by bootleggers as "unreleased unknown backing vox" or similar but actually Breakaway backing vox.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:56:31 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: May 20, 2012, 10:01:45 AM »

From There to Back Again is growing and growing.

It was orignally written during the Mount Vernon and Fairway sessions and called Fom There to Bach Again, there was nothing but Bach on the radio back then.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
rocksong.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: May 20, 2012, 07:58:54 PM »

runnersdialzero should be a mod, imo.  Afro
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2910 on: May 20, 2012, 10:39:11 PM »

That's an interesting second post.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: May 21, 2012, 12:00:16 AM »

Is it June 5th yet?  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: May 21, 2012, 12:06:12 AM »

I've been away for a few days, what are we all bitching about now?  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2913 on: May 21, 2012, 01:08:54 AM »

That's an interesting second post.

this was the first post actually.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: May 21, 2012, 03:15:57 AM »

It was orignally written during the Mount Vernon and Fairway sessions and called Fom There to Bach Again, there was nothing but Bach on the radio back then.

From what I heard on ITunes it's the only "real" BB-sounding song on the record (?) - it's good to hear Al on lead and the boys in the back! Also a good melody!  Smiley

Unfortunately some of the songs, like Shelter, sound too "contemporary"...
But again, that's based on 1-minute snippets...

/B
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: May 21, 2012, 04:01:27 AM »

From what I heard on ITunes it's the only "real" BB-sounding song on the record (?) - it's good to hear Al on lead and the boys in the back! Also a good melody!  Smiley

/B

Yeah it's rather beautiful that one. I'm really excited about hearing the 3 final tracks in full - the samples sound great.  I also think the start of the album is great, kicking off with the intro, then Radio and Isn't It Time. I still can't get over how great Isn't It Time is. Even the production on this one is ok - love the hand-claps. And Mike coming in on the bridge (but what's with that weirdly double tracked "Past"?)

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: May 21, 2012, 04:56:44 AM »

http://www.examiner.com/article/that-s-why-god-made-the-radio
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: May 21, 2012, 06:29:06 AM »

/B

I disagree - Shelter was the one song (based on the samples) that sounds like classic Beach Boys.
In fact, I don't think any of this album sounds contemporary. I mean, not that I listen to much current music, but do you hear anything like what's on this album on Top 40 radio? Even indie bands don't sound like this. Personally, I think it's a good thing....

ohthosegirls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: May 21, 2012, 06:48:46 AM »

These samples really do sound terrific. Now I can talk it up to my more casual fan friends who almost guaranteed it would be terrible!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: May 21, 2012, 07:15:29 AM »

These samples really do sound terrific. Now I can talk it up to my more casual fan friends who almost guaranteed it would be terrible!

Who goes into things with such a shitty attitude? Sheesh.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
ohthosegirls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: May 21, 2012, 08:22:10 AM »

I think mostly it was just the one friend. But I know, right?!?
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: May 21, 2012, 08:30:37 AM »

thought for the day: listen to who sings what throughout the album,as each part manifests the character and history of the singer. example: Bruce sings something like "long as we all stay together." Jeff, an outsider, sings "I'll give you shelter from the storm," which can be read symbolically as his care for Brian. Mike's assertion of summer fun continues to make him allegorical of that season and emotion,while Brian responds with "being alone" and "summer's gone."  Can you analyze the Al parts this way too?  Give it a shot  The BB have put the songs and the men in dialogue with one another dynamically; that's why the album works as a whole, generating complex beauty and meaning.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: May 21, 2012, 09:33:56 AM »

Here's a question:

How much does Joe Thomas know about Brian and The Beach Boys' history, and their catalog of music? I'm geniunely interested.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: May 21, 2012, 10:43:53 AM »

Here's a question:

How much does Joe Thomas know about Brian and The Beach Boys' history, and their catalog of music? I'm geniunely interested.

A great deal. His favorite album of theirs is Surf's Up, followed IIRC, by Sunflower.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: May 21, 2012, 12:21:16 PM »

Here's a question:

A great deal. His favorite album of theirs is Surf's Up, followed IIRC, by Sunflower.

+1 for Joe in my book.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 114 115 116 [117] 118 119 120 121 122 ... 166 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx