gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681270 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi May 30, 2024, 11:33:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: M.I.U vs L.A.  (Read 18968 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2012, 04:05:01 PM »

Side A of L.A. (Light Album) is a fine side. You have a BW classic ("Good Timin"), IMO Al's best song ("Lady Lynda"), a decent Mike song ("Sumahama"), and plenty of Dennis and Carl. A nice overall team effort.

It's Side B where things start to go wrong. Think about it: Side B only has 4 songs, and 3 of them are "Here Comes The Night" (11 minute version), "Goin' South", and "Shortenin' Bread". It's very hard to rank that side over many other BB sides. That Side B was just crying for another Brian Wilson composition.

It's interesting, but Brian Wilson can barely be found on L.A. (Light Album), and, he's all over MIU - composition and vocals wise - yet there is still much debate. I'll go with MIU. If you end MIU with "Our Team", which they should've, I'd put MIU right behind Love You and ahead of the rest (post 1978).
Forrest Gump
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2012, 07:32:48 PM »

M.I.U. for me
Alan at least got Brian to sing a lot better than he had in years. Corny Lp but full of energy and fun to boot when compared to that clunker L.A.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2012, 03:56:02 PM »

You're all mad, i tell you, mad! MIU is 90% dreadful. At least half of LA is great. It's a no-brainer.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2012, 04:11:56 PM »

They're both good. The beach boys always make good albums. Always.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »

I wish I could agree with that but I can't . I can barely sit through 15 Big Ones. That album is awful imo.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2012, 04:46:30 PM »

As much you're a sound poster, musician and dude, this is wrong.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2012, 04:50:39 PM »

I thought he was being sarcastic.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
SG7
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2012, 04:58:52 PM »

M.I.U, big time. She's Got Rhythm, Hey Little Tomboy, Sweet Sunday Kinda Love...good stuff! I even like Matchpoint.

I like Good Timin' but the rest of LA doesn't do much for me.

Same thing here. Though with LA, Sumahama and Dennis's songs aren't bad.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2012, 05:54:49 PM »

Nah, i just really like the beach boys. Sorry that's weird even on a beach boys board.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2012, 06:00:20 PM »

Nah, i just really like the beach boys. Sorry that's weird even on a beach boys board.

I really like the Beach Boys too. Hell, I love the Beach Boys more than I love almost anything. But that still doesn't make Stars and Stripes or Summer In Paradise a good album Smiley

MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2012, 07:06:14 PM »

I honestly feel like i'm forcing myself to listen to it anymore. Sure their are great songs on both, but my mind usually wanders to something else very quickly. if i had to choose probably MIU. LA just seems too thin for some reason.
veryape
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2012, 07:54:06 PM »

M.I.U

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2012, 11:51:25 AM »

M.I.U, big time. She's Got Rhythm, Hey Little Tomboy, Sweet Sunday Kinda Love...good stuff! I even like Matchpoint.

Are you seriously describing Baby Blue - one of the finest ballads in the bands entire catalogue - as 'not bad'?
Ok all you MIU fans, excluding My Diane, name me one song on MIU that even comes close to either Good Timin' or Angel Come Home?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2012, 12:28:21 PM »

Kona Coast and Hey Little Tomboy are definitely better than Good Timin'.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2012, 02:57:59 PM »

Ok all you MIU fans, excluding My Diane, name me one song on MIU that even comes close to either Good Timin' or Angel Come Home?

Hey Little Tomboy, Kona Coast, Wontcha Come Out Tonight, Sweet Sunday Kind of Love, Belles of Paris, Matchpoint & Pitter Patter are all preferable to me. Whether they're technically better songs I don't know, but I enjoy them more.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 02:59:20 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2012, 03:01:16 PM »

Are you seriously describing Baby Blue - one of the finest ballads in the bands entire catalogue - as 'not bad'?

I like Good Timin' as much or more than my favorites on MIU. As far as Angel Come Home, I think most of MIU is far better than it. Just my opinion.

TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »

It's a tough call.  M.I.U. flows more like an album, seeming too nostalgic and saccharine at times but quirky and melodic at others.  L.A. probably contains the songs I like the least but also brings more songs to their full potential.

M.I.U. Album

She's Got Rhythm (strained but oddly appealing Brian falsetto and a decent enough tune)
Come Go With Me (I waver on this one, but it's a competent and safe cover)
Hey Little Tomboy (I usually don't care about lyrics, but they're slightly uncomfortable here; would be Love You-worthy if the production were different I think)
Kona Coast (a little too banal and generic, and the Hawaii section with I merely liked in its originaly form is weaker here)
Peggy Sue (fairly pedestrian sounding cover that I'm not too fond of)
Wontcha Come Out Tonight (a slight song reasonably performed)
Sweet Sunday Kinda Love (I don't think it's Carl at his best, but I enjoy the song overall)
Belles of Paris (never was a fan of this one; not overly impressive as a song and feels overproduced)
Pitter Patter (nothing breathtaking, but solid all around)
My Diane (easily the best song of the album; nice tune, well-produced and performed)
Match Point of Our Love (sue me, I really like this; Brian sounds amazing here and the lyrics are more cheesy than offensive)
Winds of Change  (schmaltzy and a departure in sound, but a couple nice moments such as the tag)

L.A. (Light Album)

Good Timin' (very pleasing opener with a simple structure and good vocals)
Lady Lynda (used to like it more; think it's still alright but not a big fan of the production)
Full Sail (verges a bit on the slow side, but nice enough)
Angel Come Home (Carl's best on the album with Dennis wisely being given the lead)
Love Surrounds Me (gritty, dark, and probably the coolest late 70's track credited to the Beach Boys)
Sumahuma (I think there may be a decent song in there, but I can't say the production or general performance works for me here)
Here Comes the Night (didn't mind it the first time around, but on repeated listens the disco cliches becomes grating and the length is ridiculous)
Baby Blue (very pretty Dennis ballad, a strong track all around)
Goin' South (sleepy Carl tune, a little too sleepy)
Shortenin' Bread (apologies to Brian but this bores me to no end)

Ideally I'd combine what I like of both into a decent late 70's album.

She's Got Rhythm
Come Go With Me
Wontcha Come Out Tonight
Sweet Sunday Kinda Love
Pitter Patter
My Diane
Match Point of Our Love
Good Timin'
Full Sail
Angel Come Home
Love Surrounds Me
Baby Blue

I suppose M.I.U. gets the edge in track presence but L.A. has more highs.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 04:16:55 PM by TimeToGetAlone » Logged
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2012, 11:42:48 PM »

Speaking of Good Timin' - all the songs, even She's Got Rhythm. But I suspect it's because Good Timin' itself is a bore to me. Every time I fail in my attempt of liking it.
If Angel Come Home - not all the songs come close to this. But if name only one song I'd vote for Winds of Change.
[/quote]
Belles of Paris Smiley the harmonies on that song are beautiful but the lyrics are pretty cheesy lol
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2012, 12:07:13 AM »

Well each to their own i suppose...

But you are all wrong you know that? Winds Of Change better than Angel Come Home? Hey Little Tomboy better than Good Timin'? Baby Blue average? Only opinions i know, but what opinions!!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2012, 02:12:16 AM »

MIU is the lowest point for the Brother-era Beach Boys in my opinion.  The only song I like on it is "Come Go with Me."  LA on the other hand has "Good Timin'" which is one of my favorites, two solid Dennis numbers in "Baby Blue" and "Love Surrounds Me" in addition to "Lady Lynda" which is one of the better Al Jardine compositions.

I would call "LA" the better album but all in all, they're both duds by Beach Boys standards.

MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2012, 02:20:10 AM »

I think LA has the stronger material but I enjoy and listen more to MIU.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 03, 2012, 02:35:30 PM »

Since it's unlikely these albums will get a remaster, does anyone know of a place to get the twofer affordably? I have vinyl copies of both albums, would like to hear what they sounds like off the tapes - maybe I will gain a greater appreciation of LA in that context.

kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2012, 03:12:18 PM »

Both albums have their moments but neither one are "essential listening" as far as the Beach Boys go. The last good album was Love You. After  that it's ehhh
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2012, 12:34:09 AM »

Both albums have their moments but neither one are "essential listening" as far as the Beach Boys go. The last good album was Love You. After  that it's ehhh

IMHO, the last good album was Sunflower. I admit though that Love You was the last unique album.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2012, 12:42:07 AM »

Today I would say MIU is a not necessarily better more more enjoyable.

That kind of sums up my opinion. MIU has some bad songs, but then some very enjoyable songs, and LA while it hasn't that many bad songs is overall a bit boring - to me.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx