gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 11:24:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: harry nilsson and brian wilson  (Read 14124 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2006, 02:45:14 PM »

i recently saw a preview for the 'who is harry and why is everyone talking about him' documentry put out by LSL productions and saw a picture of him and brian together in what looked like mid to late 70s...you can catch the trailer on: http://www.myspace.com/whoisharrynilsson    Anyone know when this comes to dvd? So what about Brian and Harry? How/where/when did they meet? i wish they would have wrote together ...a lot of Brian's early 70's stuff reminds me of Nilsson.  man, if only these to got together...though it may have not been a good combo...both looking for a good time....it might have ended up like john and harry's lost weekend

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Rockard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 04:05:25 PM »

Oh, isn't it Van Dyke Parks there also on the same picture, to the left??
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 04:13:02 PM »

I'm sure Brian knew Harry through Van Dyke.  Van Dyke hung out a lot with both Harry and Brian in the '70s, probably more often separately than together.  Van was there when Harry and John Lennon got thrown out of the Troubador.
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 05:43:04 PM »

Back when Brian and Landy still had the "Brains and Genius" office on West Pico in LA, the wall of the big downstairs room/office was covered with celebrity shots-- photos of Brian (and/or Dr. Landy) with various famous people..... and the BIGGEST picture on that entire wall, almost poster-sized, was a nice photo of Brian and Harry together in the late 1980s.  I think it was taken at the release party for Van Dyke's "Tokyo Rose" album.

I always wished that Brian and Harry had done an album together.... they could've called it "Willy-Nilly."

Alan
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 06:37:18 PM »

that's awesome!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 12:01:31 PM »

A Wilson/Nilsson album would've been awesome.  Just picture those two voices working together - and the songs they could've written?!  Wow!!

But....Willy-Nilly?  Sheesh, Boyd...
;-)

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
DJ M
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 12:06:49 PM »

Brian recorded a Nilsson song for a Hary Nilsson tribute album.  I can't rmember the name off the top of me head; anyone else know the name of the tune to which I refer?

EDIT:

I'll answer my own question: "This Could Be The Night."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000000FPE/ref=m_art_li_0/104-1383817-1145555?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=5174
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 12:26:31 PM by DJ M » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 03:09:09 PM »

Is there any news on this docu comming to dvd? I want to see it so badly!

Anyone have any contact with David Leaf? He's connected to this project, right?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 04:49:07 PM »

...David Leaf? He's connected to this project, right?

David produced it, along with his partner John Scheinfeld, who both wrote & directed it.
I totally dug this film, and can't believe they haven't found a way to release it in this country yet!
However...  I would have loved to see what Mr. Boyd would have done with this property...
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 06:17:34 PM »

good call

released in this country? where has it been released at?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 03:01:56 AM »

i think it just did the rounds at film festivals. It definitely hasn't been released on this side of the pond...  Sad

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 09:42:03 AM »

Brian recorded a Nilsson song for a Hary Nilsson tribute album.

Carl has a track on there too.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 11:09:55 AM »

really?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 06:43:49 PM »

really?

Yeah, track #7:

Carl Wilson - "Without Her"

Wanna fight??  LOL

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 11:13:27 PM »

another weird Wilson/Nilsson connection is they both blew their voices out at roughly the same time and the world hasn't been the same since.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 11:38:49 PM »

really?

Yeah, track #7:

Carl Wilson - "Without Her"

Wanna fight??  LOL

Beckley-Lamm-Wilson, to be precise.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 07:04:56 AM »

Depends — I've seen it listed both ways — some attribute it simply to "Carl Wilson."

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 07:52:53 AM »

Depends — I've seen it listed both ways — some attribute it simply to "Carl Wilson."

Maybe on some dubious mp3 downloads.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 09:40:06 PM »

Maybe on some dubious mp3 downloads.

And maybe on this obscure site called Wiki-somthin'  LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Nilsson

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 10:54:47 PM »

And that's why you can't trust Wikipedia...
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 02:12:34 AM »

It's Beckley-Lamm-Wilson. That's what it says on the disc, and Carl is hardly on the finished the track. He handles backing vocals mostly.... Probably cos one of the other fellas has a rather Nilsson-esque tone. Was this the last thing released by him before his death, or did Stars & Stripes come later?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 03:20:35 AM »

The track is credited to "Beckley-Lamm-Wilson"; Carl himself is only singing back-up on the track.  Off the Like A Brother album of 2000.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 03:22:08 AM »

It's Beckley-Lamm-Wilson. That's what it says on the disc, and Carl is hardly on the finished the track. He handles backing vocals mostly.... Probably cos one of the other fellas has a rather Nilsson-esque tone. Was this the last thing released by him before his death, or did Stars & Stripes come later?

Guess I should have read the whole thread before I had responded.  :-)

Stars & Stripes came out in 1996. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2009, 11:08:57 PM »

Amazon.com AND Allmusic both list it as Beckley/Lamm/Wilson.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 12:15:22 AM »

The CD I'm looking at in my hand right now also lists it as Beckley-Lamm-Wilson.  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx