gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681008 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 10:59:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 364 365 366 367 368 [369] 370 371 372 373 374 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1742424 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9200 on: November 09, 2011, 11:11:50 PM »

I was just gonna post that someone should make a duophonic mix. I'd love to hear it. you should send me a Private Message.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9201 on: November 10, 2011, 01:31:26 AM »

I see I'm not the only modest person here!  Grin

I am more modest than the rest of you put together.  Grin

That's a good one for the delibarate irony in it, Andrew! Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #9202 on: November 10, 2011, 06:24:27 AM »

I went on a journey............it was beautiful.

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9203 on: November 10, 2011, 07:25:15 AM »

bsten - the only difference between the stand-alone and box version of the vinyl is there's a different photograph used in the gatefold or something....same audio content.

Different inner sleeves:

Sleeve 1 has brians note on one side and the picture of him behind the hour galss, and Sleeve 2 has the lyrics (no drawings).

And while I'm here, is it bad that I made a Duophonic Mix of SMiLE just for the hell of it?
Nah, you're just trying to be historically accurate. :D Pray tell. how did you accomplish the dirty deed?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9204 on: November 10, 2011, 07:26:44 AM »

bsten - the only difference between the stand-alone and box version of the vinyl is there's a different photograph used in the gatefold or something....same audio content.

Different inner sleeves:

Sleeve 1 has brians note on one side and the picture of him behind the hour galss, and Sleeve 2 has the lyrics (no drawings).

And while I'm here, is it bad that I made a Duophonic Mix of SMiLE just for the hell of it?
Nah, you're just trying to be historically accurate. :D Pray tell. how did you accomplish the dirty deed?
Duophonic lives!!!!! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Duophonic Summer Days is stuff of nightmares. SMiLE in Duophonic would be interesting for historical purposes as it was going to be either mono or duophonic.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 07:46:46 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9205 on: November 10, 2011, 07:42:49 AM »

Duophonic is easy to do -- just create two identical mono tracks, and offset one of the tracks ever so slightly. It's not too different from artificial double-tracking.

BTW, Wild Honey sounds AWESOME in duo. Seriously.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #9206 on: November 10, 2011, 07:44:56 AM »

Another easy-peasy way to do it:  load the mono files into Sound Forge or some such, then block out all of one channel and slide it over a few frames (to taste) until you get that lovely boxy slap-echo sound.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9207 on: November 10, 2011, 08:01:16 AM »

Duophonic is easy to do -- just create two identical mono tracks, and offset one of the tracks ever so slightly. It's not too different from artificial double-tracking.

BTW, Wild Honey sounds AWESOME in duo. Seriously.
Today doesn't sound too bad in Duo either, but Summer Days sounded awful.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9208 on: November 10, 2011, 08:32:33 AM »

That 10 from Pitchfork is probably helping a lot.
Indeed.  Say what you will about Pitchfork, but that was a pretty great review and I imagine it will help to shift some units with a younger crowd.  I was pleased to see the Onion's A/V club give it an A recently too.  Aside from a few outliers, the new set has been winning rave reviews.  It's up to a 97 on Metacritic now.  I guess the critics do get it right now and then.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #9209 on: November 10, 2011, 10:53:12 AM »

The one problem is that the 'flowing' tracks have tiny gaps in them when i made my Douphonic Mix. By the way, Child sounds amazing for some reason!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9210 on: November 10, 2011, 10:59:24 AM »

Did Duophonic processing always entail adding delay or time offsets between channels?  I was under the impression that the Wild Honey LP was just EQ'd to stereo - like bass on the right, treble on the left, mids, in the center.  And thus, summing the channels results in something basically identical to the true mono mix.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 11:00:52 AM by anazgnos » Logged
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #9211 on: November 10, 2011, 11:14:15 AM »

That 10 from Pitchfork is probably helping a lot.
Indeed.  Say what you will about Pitchfork, but that was a pretty great review and I imagine it will help to shift some units with a younger crowd.  I was pleased to see the Onion's A/V club give it an A recently too.  Aside from a few outliers, the new set has been winning rave reviews.  It's up to a 97 on Metacritic now.  I guess the critics do get it right now and then.

Welcome Tristero!

It's great to read such glowing reviews, and see the Smile Sessions fairing so well on Metacritic. Still not beating U2 though  Angry

Hopefully they'll add Mojo's 100 whilst neglecting to include Q's rating, and it might be pushed up to 98.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #9212 on: November 10, 2011, 11:48:05 AM »

Did Duophonic processing always entail adding delay or time offsets between channels?  I was under the impression that the Wild Honey LP was just EQ'd to stereo - like bass on the right, treble on the left, mids, in the center.  And thus, summing the channels results in something basically identical to the true mono mix.

Yeah, my 'stereo' Wild Honey and Smiley Smile have very little done to them at all

On the Duophonic Cabin Essence, the 'Fire' from 'fire mellow' centralises in the mix. Was this one word artificially double tracked at one point and now I have undone the deed?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 01:01:00 PM by mrmoustachioto » Logged

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #9213 on: November 10, 2011, 01:39:34 PM »

My Wild Honey pressing says stereo on the cover, but it's mono anyway.  But since Duophonic is the slap-echo split, if yours is rechanneled (as opposed to duophonic) it's highs to one side and lows to the other. 

What you describe on that version of Cabinessence may be the two lead vocals, for that one word, match so closely they sound like one voice centered.  But if you mean the 20/20 album version, that one is in true stereo so no duophonic.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #9214 on: November 10, 2011, 02:25:01 PM »

Is my Heroes And Villians Verse Edit Experiment (Disc 2 Track 18) mant to go
'In a town full of AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAHHHHHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA'?

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9215 on: November 10, 2011, 02:40:11 PM »

Here's the thing, though...I KNOW I've heard a duo version of Wild Honey. On vinyl. My OWN vinyl. I have two vinyl copies of Wild Honey, both say "Stereo" but suddenly they're both the high-on-one-side, low-on-the-other kind of fake stereo....wtf?!!?

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9216 on: November 10, 2011, 03:00:28 PM »

I'm very behind in my reading, so please forgive me if some of this has been gone over already....

A few quick thoughts on the release of the Beach Boys SMiLE...

Of course I was hoping there would be some major revelations, such as printed or sung lyrics that I've never heard, but that didn't really happen.  However, that being the case, Mark and Alan did somehow find different takes of previously bootlegged sessions that had not appeared, yet.  So I give them big, big kudos on that accomplishment!

My biggest disappointment with what we are presented was the mix of "Child Is Father Of The Man" on disc 1.  I'm really disappointed with the way they put those sections together.  That lonely piano and trumpet section needs to go after the verse/chorus/verse/chorus -- not before it!  It totally ruins the impact of that great piece of music for me.  They should have left it as it was on the contemporary mix by Brian, which was the same template he used for SMiLE in 2004.

The other thing that I'm everyone noticed is that the LP's and 45's have things written in the run out groove.  What was written on the "Heroes & Villains" 45 had me confused at first. 

Side A has what looks like... "A+  2 score". 

And side B has.   "and 5".

Well, it eventually hit me that "2 score and 5" is a take-off of the "H&V" lyric of "3 score and 5".  And that "2 score and 5" equals 45, which is the number of years since SMiLE was written!

But I couldn't figure out what the "A+" meant... until I was writing this email just now.  Perhaps it's not "A+", but the word "At", and is the lyric "At three score and five, I'm very much alive."

Long live SMiLE,   Dan Lega
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9217 on: November 10, 2011, 03:02:59 PM »

Nice catch. Well done on ya.  Grin
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9218 on: November 10, 2011, 03:39:52 PM »

Here's the thing, though...I KNOW I've heard a duo version of Wild Honey. On vinyl. My OWN vinyl. I have two vinyl copies of Wild Honey, both say "Stereo" but suddenly they're both the high-on-one-side, low-on-the-other kind of fake stereo....wtf?!!?
Maybe the Brother/Reprise LP? The LP was released in fake stereo of some kind. I haven't listened to it in close to 20 years and I cannot remember.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9219 on: November 10, 2011, 03:46:11 PM »

What's the big deal ? That's how they were originally released, in mono and "electronically rechannelled stereo" (which is basically DuoPhonic with knobs on and still sounds like feces). I've had an ERS copy for something like 35 years.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 03:47:34 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9220 on: November 11, 2011, 05:10:30 AM »

Welcome Tristero!

Thanks, B.  I know I’m late to the party here, but I’ve been lurking since the big announcement earlier this year rekindled my fascination with all things SMiLE and it’s been fun to read all the reaction and analysis here.  I thought that I’d sort of closed the book on all of this after absorbing BWPS, seeing it performed live, but the new set has given me a whole new perspective on how this brilliant music was constructed, how the different pieces fit together.  Just when I thought I was out, it pulled me back in.  SMiLE is a one of a kind work of pop art, a seemingly inexhaustible source of joy and mystery, and while every fan has their own ideas about the album that might have emerged in 1967 or how it should be presented today, we all have reason to celebrate.  I’m thrilled just to see that iconic artwork out on the shelves.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9221 on: November 13, 2011, 06:11:58 AM »

A few semi-interesting comments from BW, Hal Blaine and Jeff Foskett in this new article:
http://www.mydesert.com/article/20111113/LIFESTYLES0101/111120361/mood-vibrations?odyssey=nav|head
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9222 on: November 13, 2011, 06:26:27 AM »

Interesting comments from Jeff, Brian, and Hal.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9223 on: November 13, 2011, 11:48:47 AM »

For awhile around 2006/07, "Unreleased Backgrounds" was higher than 409.

I feel like I was probably a major contributor on that one.

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9224 on: November 13, 2011, 12:05:22 PM »

Is my Heroes And Villians Verse Edit Experiment (Disc 2 Track 18) mant to go
'In a town full of AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAHHHHHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA'?

Maybe they sent you the "Screamo Bands Cover Smile" tribute version by mistake...such a vocal wouldn't be too far out of place on such an album. Cheesy

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 364 365 366 367 368 [369] 370 371 372 373 374 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx