gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681099 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 01:22:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love talks about C50 shows (March 26)  (Read 24363 times)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: March 29, 2013, 04:36:39 AM »

Hmm interesting discussion.  From a female point of view, no the BB's are not sexy in the least, but that's not so bad, what I think what they lacked is charisma.  Apart from Dennis (who was stuck at the back)  they were all pretty shy guys.  Mike is not shy also, but he's not charismatic, he's corny as hell and always has been.

My mother thinks Brian is the cutest! Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: March 29, 2013, 04:37:19 AM »

Oh,just a couple of things, you know, like BW88, Imagination, BWPS, OCA, LOS, BWRG, That's all. And didn't miss the throat twiddelings of Monsignor Luhv in any one of those outings, lyKe it ohr Knot. Didn't you mean nazal pukish bleatings?

IMHO, Awldsyrferdood comes across a bit chyldish.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 29, 2013, 07:28:29 AM »

Hmm interesting discussion.  From a female point of view, no the BB's are not sexy in the least, but that's not so bad, what I think what they lacked is charisma.  Apart from Dennis (who was stuck at the back)  they were all pretty shy guys.  Mike is not shy also, but he's not charismatic, he's corny as hell and always has been.  Back in the 60's that was fine.  Not so afterwards.  Dennis would have been better out the front after the 60's, he has more genuine love for the audience, wasn't so sarcastic and waffling and well... he just mooooved better.   

I know Mike has kept the band and name going for decades and he's a hard working guy and all that, but sometimes I just cringe at the things he says and does and the whole blasted 80's Baywatch crap. 

IMO of course..

Back in the day, those " garage band" guys all became "sexy" when they stepped onstage.  Not just the Boys, but all these bands, had guys who might have been considered average looking, became sex symbols, such as Mick Jagger, who became just the hottest guy alive, when he got onstage. His singing and swagger made him attractive.  And, that might be a sixties or seventies standard, but being a member of a "rock and roll" band conferred a certain appeal and attractiveness to the "contemporary" ladies. 

A certain "dynamic" emerged and standard of what was sexy, and being in a rock band, and having your band in those TeenBeat type magazines, with posters in the centerfold, made them sexy via public relations and print media promotion.  The Beatles haircuts and long hair on men, were suddenly the rage, much to the chagrin of parents who marched their boys to the barber shops for a "boys' regular."

People can argue the Baywatch or Full House thing either way, but most people in media will agree that these cameo appearances, only enhance the name value or brand value of an entity.  And, are never a bad move to gain media exposure.  They might look tacky now, to some, but fit nicely into the genre of the time, and I find it hugely unfair to judge 1980's - 90's stuff with a 2013 lens which tends, generally to be revisionist.  JMHO  Wink

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 29, 2013, 08:17:16 AM »

I agree, I don't like it how fans are called "brianistas" for saying that Brian was the force behind the group.

If that were the reason we would all be Brianista. Of course Brian was the force behind the group and is much more talented musically than Mike. Mike himself acknowledges this and praises Brian all the time. What makes a Brianista is that strange disgust and deep hatred against Mike that seems to me, honestly, a bit insane. I agree Mike's decisions are often not the best ones and he has absolutely no understanding for Brian's problems. But I just can't understand the fun in hating Mike so deeply.

If people have an already stated opinion of Mike why must they continue to state said opinion in a variety of threads and or topics. I am not fond of some of Mike's actions but, I do not feel it is necessary to ram my opinion of Mike down someone elses throat.

Absolutely.

I think there was also a Brianista variant that simply wanted to take him home, bake him cakes, tuck him in at night and cuddle him. And not let him out in daylight cos of what those nasty Beach Boys might do to him. They knew what was right for him and it needn't involve anyone else.

Dangerous people.

“We live in divisive times.”
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: March 29, 2013, 08:33:42 AM »

I agree, I don't like it how fans are called "brianistas" for saying that Brian was the force behind the group.

If that were the reason we would all be Brianista. Of course Brian was the force behind the group and is much more talented musically than Mike. Mike himself acknowledges this and praises Brian all the time. What makes a Brianista is that strange disgust and deep hatred against Mike that seems to me, honestly, a bit insane. I agree Mike's decisions are often not the best ones and he has absolutely no understanding for Brian's problems. But I just can't understand the fun in hating Mike so deeply.

If people have an already stated opinion of Mike why must they continue to state said opinion in a variety of threads and or topics. I am not fond of some of Mike's actions but, I do not feel it is necessary to ram my opinion of Mike down someone elses throat.

Absolutely.

I think there was also a Brianista variant that simply wanted to take him home, bake him cakes, tuck him in at night and cuddle him. And not let him out in daylight cos of what those nasty Beach Boys might do to him. They knew what was right for him and it needn't involve anyone else.

Dangerous people.

I'm scared now, thanks. Shocked

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: March 29, 2013, 08:50:39 AM »

I'm scared now, thanks. Shocked

But you made me laugh with this:

Quote from: John Manning
6) erm… that's it…
7) I don't want to reach 8 because the board software turns it into a Smiley in shades…
 See what I mean…
9) Darn, I did it anyway…

Cheesy

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 29, 2013, 08:59:19 AM »

Couldn't agree more. Of course, one or two people on the board have had bad experiences with Mike, and it's fair enough when they dislike him -- though even then with some it tends towards monomania. But most of us have either never met him or spent a couple of minutes with him after a show getting an autograph.

Honestly, even if every single bad thing ever said about Mike were true (and for all I know it is), he's caused very little actual harm in his life -- he's behaved badly towards a lot of people in his family, most of whom seem to have, mostly, forgiven him, and that's really about all that can be said about him (and that's if everything bad said about him is true).

Personally, I try not to hate anyone, but to the extent that I *do* hate people, it's because they have hurt me or those I love, or they've started wars or committed genocide or mass murder or something. Even recording Looking Back With Love doesn't really fall into that category.

For all I know he may well be a horrible man. I suspect he's not as bad as many say, but he may well be. But so what? There are seven billion people in the world, and I'd guess that at least half a billion or so of them are horrible people.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: March 29, 2013, 09:32:55 AM »

At least all sides can come together and be grateful that at the very least, Mike Love has never carried out genocide.

...and when we say never, we do mean a certain amount.

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 29, 2013, 11:28:45 AM »

Bruce looked like a Kennedy in in his younger days.
Bruce is no Jack Kennedy!

Strangely Bruce looks exactly like a Kennedy from the front (especially Ted Kennedy) but like Jimmy Cagney from the side.

And he looks like Jimmy Durante from the back!  hot cha cha cha cha!

LOL

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 29, 2013, 01:23:47 PM »

I agree, I don't like it how fans are called "brianistas" for saying that Brian was the force behind the group. The other members helped out a huge deal, but the BBs in their prime as a functioning band were a vehicle for BW's ideas.

Is there such a thing as an "Alanista"?

Cool Guy

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
oldsurferdude
« Reply #160 on: March 29, 2013, 06:17:14 PM »

Oh,just a couple of things, you know, like BW88, Imagination, BWPS, OCA, LOS, BWRG, That's all. And didn't miss the throat twiddelings of Monsignor Luhv in any one of those outings, lyKe it ohr Knot. Didn't you mean nazal pukish bleatings?

It's nothing but a message board. Grohw Uhp, mahn. Razz
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 29, 2013, 06:24:17 PM »

+1 
oldsurferdude
« Reply #162 on: March 29, 2013, 06:29:56 PM »

+1 
  Only +1?? What a cheapskate!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 29, 2013, 06:30:35 PM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 29, 2013, 06:31:28 PM »

Roll Eyes

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 29, 2013, 09:13:16 PM »

Roll Eyes

What's a thread without Gertie's smiley face contributions

LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 29, 2013, 09:19:47 PM »

do you envy me?  police

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 29, 2013, 10:15:22 PM »

Not really you, but your posting style. You always choose the right smiley  Smokin

See, I chose the wrong one there

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 30, 2013, 12:27:10 AM »

Hmm interesting discussion.  From a female point of view, no the BB's are not sexy in the least, but that's not so bad, what I think what they lacked is charisma.  Apart from Dennis (who was stuck at the back)  they were all pretty shy guys.  Mike is not shy also, but he's not charismatic, he's corny as hell and always has been.  Back in the 60's that was fine.  Not so afterwards.  Dennis would have been better out the front after the 60's, he has more genuine love for the audience, wasn't so sarcastic and waffling and well... he just mooooved better.   

I know Mike has kept the band and name going for decades and he's a hard working guy and all that, but sometimes I just cringe at the things he says and does and the whole blasted 80's Baywatch crap. 

IMO of course..

Back in the day, those " garage band" guys all became "sexy" when they stepped onstage.  Not just the Boys, but all these bands, had guys who might have been considered average looking, became sex symbols, such as Mick Jagger, who became just the hottest guy alive, when he got onstage. His singing and swagger made him attractive.  And, that might be a sixties or seventies standard, but being a member of a "rock and roll" band conferred a certain appeal and attractiveness to the "contemporary" ladies. 

A certain "dynamic" emerged and standard of what was sexy, and being in a rock band, and having your band in those TeenBeat type magazines, with posters in the centerfold, made them sexy via public relations and print media promotion.  The Beatles haircuts and long hair on men, were suddenly the rage, much to the chagrin of parents who marched their boys to the barber shops for a "boys' regular."

People can argue the Baywatch or Full House thing either way, but most people in media will agree that these cameo appearances, only enhance the name value or brand value of an entity.  And, are never a bad move to gain media exposure.  They might look tacky now, to some, but fit nicely into the genre of the time, and I find it hugely unfair to judge 1980's - 90's stuff with a 2013 lens which tends, generally to be revisionist.  JMHO  Wink

Well you may be right about the 60's and such but I am not looking through a 2013 lens at the 80's and 90's BB stuff.  I remember what I thought at the time.  I cringed at the Baywatch stuff.  It was odious to me.  I couldn't stand Full House, I thought it was a corny, fake, badly acted show.  The only people I know who watched it were older mums with their kids and possibly nanas.  I'm sorry but I think that when Mike took control things got corny.  Mind you the 80's and 90's were generally a little corny and embarrassing and I have a few photos from that time I'd never post on FB that's for sure!   

Ah well it doesn't matter really,  It doesn't change the way I feel about the music Smiley
Nicko1234
« Reply #169 on: March 30, 2013, 12:55:11 AM »

Well you may be right about the 60's and such but I am not looking through a 2013 lens at the 80's and 90's BB stuff.  I remember what I thought at the time.  I cringed at the Baywatch stuff.  It was odious to me.  I couldn't stand Full House, I thought it was a corny, fake, badly acted show.  The only people I know who watched it were older mums with their kids and possibly nanas.  I'm sorry but I think that when Mike took control things got corny.  Mind you the 80's and 90's were generally a little corny and embarrassing and I have a few photos from that time I'd never post on FB that's for sure!   

I agree that those shows were corny but I'm not sure the group were capable of being anything other than corny at that stage. I imagine Mike's attitude at the time was, 'Brian isn't going to write us a hit anytime soon so what can we do to keep the band in the public eye?' If they'd been offered the chance to appear on the coolest shows of the time then I'm sure they would have accepted but as it was they took what they could get. That goes for the duets and movie soundtracks too.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: March 30, 2013, 01:34:02 AM »

I agree with you, Nicko.

That said, I hate hate hate hate HATED Full House. Actually, I hated the entire Friday night ABC lineup, save Perfect Strangers. Dave Coulier's character annoyed me so much that I wanted to strangle him with a thing of Twizzlers. There was a worse show that came on right afterwards (or was it the following one? I don't remember). All I remember is some annoying kid with glasses, and the neighbor who looked like she belonged in a stream swatting fish rather than being on TV,

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 30, 2013, 01:37:42 AM »

I hope there's news very soon!  We're discussing bloody Full House now!   Sad

“We live in divisive times.”
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: March 30, 2013, 01:50:36 AM »

Hey, we could be talking about Brian playing 'Mr Hawthorne' on The New Leave it to Beaver! LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 30, 2013, 05:57:34 AM »

One of the funniest blogs on the web...this guy is in the process of reviewing every episode of Full House in chronological order. Hilarious:

http://www.fullhousereviewed.com/

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 30, 2013, 06:37:53 AM »

One of the funniest blogs on the web...this guy is in the process of reviewing every episode of Full House in chronological order. Hilarious:

http://www.fullhousereviewed.com/

I had a quick read.  Funny stuff Smiley   This is part of what he had to say about the Full House Beach Boys epidode:

"The Beach Boys were one of the most innovative and influential singing groups of their time but they really seem to be more remembered for their corny radio hits than the experimental psychedelic rock masterpieces they created in their heyday.  I’ve always wondered why that is, but now I know.  This episode of Full House single-handedly ruined the Beach Boys for an entire generation".
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx