gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680994 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 04:23:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Pier Pressure (board member reviews)  (Read 119475 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #450 on: April 14, 2015, 12:37:00 PM »

"Saturday night" : Great lead and an ear catcher! But as I mentioned before, I wonder if Brian didn't go too far in using Bacharach's "I say a little prayer" for the chorus. Reminding of the case of using familiar melodies for "That's why God made the radio" (the song). The middle part, though, sounds like it was a different song and doesn't fit imo.

Nice review. And good call on the 'I Say a Little Prayer' thing on 'Saturday Night'. I knew there was something familiar about the chorus on the latter but hadn't thought of this comparison.

Thanks!
It's basically just like he used Little Anthony & The Imperials' "Going out of my head" for "Gettin' in over my head".

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
KDS
« Reply #451 on: April 14, 2015, 12:40:02 PM »

Having only listened to the album twice in full, I'd probably give it a 4/5.  

I love Half Moon Bay, Sail Away, Don't Worry, Saturday Night, Last Song, One Kind of Love, This Beautiful Day, Whatever Happened, and The Right Time.

I expect some of the others might grow on me.  

I can't really wrap my head around Runaway Dancer.  I'm gonna be crucified for this, but when I first heard the studio version, I had flashbacks to Summer in Paradise.  Call me a purist, but it's difficult for me to accept Brian Wilson singing over an EDM beat.  I like the melody, but that club sound is dreadful.  Of course, it got stuck in my head.  But, like I always say, catchy doesn't equal good.  (Ask Iggy, Taylor Swift, or Meghan Trainor).  

But, for a new Brian Wilson record in 2015, I love nine tracks, six are growers, and one.....well....... that's almost 94%.  

Al, Blondie, and David really help make the album very good.  I like Nate Reuss's vocal, not too overdone like I've heard him do with fun.   Brian's vocals are very good.  
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #452 on: April 14, 2015, 01:00:28 PM »

I can't really wrap my head around Runaway Dancer.  I'm gonna be crucified for this, but when I first heard the studio version, I had flashbacks to Summer in Paradise.  .  

I had to think of Jan & Dean's "Hot lookin' lady" fwiw.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 14, 2015, 01:04:17 PM »

"Saturday night" : Great lead and an ear catcher! But as I mentioned before, I wonder if Brian didn't go too far in using Bacharach's "I say a little prayer" for the chorus. Reminding of the case of using familiar melodies for "That's why God made the radio" (the song). The middle part, though, sounds like it was a different song and doesn't fit imo.

Nice review. And good call on the 'I Say a Little Prayer' thing on 'Saturday Night'. I knew there was something familiar about the chorus on the latter but hadn't thought of this comparison.

Thanks!
It's basically just like he used Little Anthony & The Imperials' "Going out of my head" for "Gettin' in over my head".

In both cases mentioned here the melodies are different. Sorry, but BDW is not a plagiarist.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 14, 2015, 01:35:57 PM »

I like Nate's vocal, but if someone else were to sing it, for voice-suitability, I'd pick Bruce.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #455 on: April 14, 2015, 01:43:09 PM »

Thanks!

In both cases mentioned here the melodies are different. Sorry, but BDW is not a plagiarist.

The word plagiarist wasn't used by anybody.

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 14, 2015, 03:49:20 PM »

Thanks!

That's definitely an interesting comparison (both of them)... but they're not exact, I wonder if someone good with melodies could chime in and let us know the notes?  Definately very similar, though.  

So it'd be

"Saturday Night... on Hollywood Blvd., Hangin' around with nothing to do..."

and

"Forever, Forever, You'll stay in my heart and I will love you, Forever, and Ever,  we never will part and how I love you"  or whatever.

The end part is even very similar, Brian goes

"Spending My Time... With You!  On Saturday Night...."

Whereas the other goes

"Would Only mean Heartbreak For Me....."

I wonder how close the notes actually are?  Good catch Rocker...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 03:54:27 PM by Ron » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 14, 2015, 05:03:52 PM »

I can't really wrap my head around Runaway Dancer.  I'm gonna be crucified for this, but when I first heard the studio version, I had flashbacks to Summer in Paradise.  .  

I had to think of Jan & Dean's "Hot lookin' lady" fwiw.

God, that's a horrible song. I like a lot of Jan's post accident stuff, but that one is not good.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 14, 2015, 06:42:42 PM »

I’ve enjoyed reading reviews by other posters and critics; it really reinforces how variable musical taste can be.  One person’s favorite song is another’s nightmare.  

I love a lot about NPP.  I give it 4/5.  

First the negatives:

I often don’t listen to pre-release samples, but this time I’m glad I did so I could be prepared for the glossy 80s/90s Joe Thomas-ness of the production, and to drop any hope of a CATP-Wild Honey vibe.  I (and many listeners, apparently) would possibly find this album more enjoyable with a little less Thomas-ness (regardless whose idea it was), but this is what we have, so, as Micha bluntly put it, we can “take it or leave it.”

I agree there are some generic lyrics here, but I’ve never sought out BB product for the lyrics (more often in spite of them).  So while it might be nice to have more Brian-like quirkiness, or more lyrical efforts from Scott Bennett, at least there are no lyrics reciting old Beach Boys titles, so I feel I’m in the bonus round.  “I’m Feeling Sad” sounds very Brian-ish, and “Guess You Had to Be There” conjures up scenes in Brian’s house in the “Love and Mercy” film to me.  There are other affecting phrases throughout; “what’s gonna happen to me?” for instance.  I’m 15 years younger than Brian but really relate to the sentiments in “Whatever Happened.”  And what’s gonna happen when Brian isn’t here to give us music like this???  That alone makes me listen with additional gratitude.

The positives:

I am thrilled he brought other singers in, and is doing different styles of music.  I feel all the singers are well chosen for their songs.  I think Zooey gets just the right feel on “On the Island,” and Nate and Kacey are spot-on for their turns.  All of the duets with younger singers are among my favorite songs, and Al is reliable as always.

I am happy to have the deluxe version because I like all three bonus tracks more than several of the "legit" tracks.

I hear catchy/memorable melodies all through this album, which is what I hope to hear from Brian Wilson.  Like Ray Lawlor, I would not have thought “Runaway Dancer” would be my type of song.  Initially I was turned off by the 80s sax, etc., and that kind of dance music is not my thing AT ALL.  BUT….by golly, it makes me smile and move, and it WILL NOT LEAVE my brain, probably for the rest of my life.  That is, except for brief moments that it steps aside for “Guess You Had to Be There” or “Saturday Night” or “I’m Feeling Sad” or “One Kind of Love”…  

“Runaway Dancer” has turned out to be the most polarizing tune, so perhaps the 2nd slot is not ideal for it, as some critics have mentioned.  But this is the man who followed the quietly ethereal “whispering winds” tag of “Wind Chimes” with the electronic jolt of “Gettin’ Hungry,” so perhaps RD following “This Beautiful Day” is just a taste of Brian’s sense of humor.   Then it's back to the gorgeous "Whatever Happened," a reflective bookend to "When I Grow Up" that would fit well on a "The Beach Boys Today + 50 Years" album.  In fact, maybe there's an exercise there...let's see, match "Dance Dance Dance" with "Runaway Dancer," "In the Back of My Mind" with "Somewhere Quiet"...   Nah.

"Saturday Night" and "Guess You Had to Be There" could hardly be more catchy and radio friendly; if they don't get radio play, it just illustrates why I don't listen to Top 40.

“I’m Feeling Sad” is just a gem, in the same lineage as “Lonely Days” and “Busy Doin’ Nothin’.”  The doo-wop part is reminiscent of The Association, in a very good way.   Even though it’s about being sad, it is so infectiously bouncy that I can’t help but be happy.  Yet, when he sings the last line “Just want you to know / I’m feeling sad,” it actually chokes me up a bit.  Love it.

“One Kind of Love” was a real grower for me and that unexpected chord change on the chorus is just heart-twisting.  I think this could be a new BW classic.

Guitarfool has a great approach with the “driving with the radio on” idea.  I think Brian is having fun with different styles here.  Something like “Don’t Worry,” which some find appalling, I think, “Brian is doing a 70s Philly soul/Four Seasons thing, cool!”  I would love this kind of thing on an Adam Marsland album, why wouldn’t I love it on a Brian Wilson album?  Because he’s supposed to be doing something else?  The synth horns don’t bother me at all…it’s exactly what Brian would have used in the era he’s revisiting!

“The Last Song” is a choker, perhaps slightly less powerful in comparison to “PCH/Summer’s Gone” because they were more understated and already such perfect “career wrapups.”

I was going to do a song-by-song rating but it is just too difficult.  I would put nearly all in the 3-5 star range.  The only one that I haven't warmed to is “Tell Me Why,” which sounds a tad too generic to me despite the nice vocals.

And the vocals…it’s almost easy to take them for granted on a BW-BB album, but my gosh, there are just layers and layers of gorgeous harmonies and vocal parts.  Who else makes music like this???  Even if I didn’t know how hard he worked on this album, you can hear it with the care in the vocals, including his leads.

TLOS has been my favorite non-BWPS Brian solo album.  However, there are more songs I like on NPP (there are 16 to choose from), so I might rate NPP about as high.

If this was the album Brian wanted to make to follow his Muse, I say more power to him, critics be damned.  If he really wanted a big hit, he might have been better served with a more current co-producer.  Either way, this is what we got, and I’m darn happy to have it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:51:03 PM by Les P » Logged
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 14, 2015, 10:03:24 PM »

Here's my rank-the-tracks-style review of NPP:
https://chadandchelsea.wordpress.com/2015/04/13/no-pier-pressure-by-brian-wilson-album-review/

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 15, 2015, 05:57:32 AM »

Well, I've lived with this long enough now to share a few thoughts. I'm not going to do a track by track breakdown. Just giving some general impressions.

At first listen I was put off by the mish-mash of styles and unevenness of it all. But, on second listen, I approached this album with the mindset that Brian wanted to "explore" some musical ideas, musical styles and new voices. From interviews and reports from Ray and others, I got the impression that Brian was enjoying this process. Even the title, "No Pier Pressure" seems to imply that Brian felt free to play with his musical toys a bit.  So, when the dance club groove of "Runaway Dancer" kicked in, instead of thinking "What the heck?"  I said, "Cool. Brian's playing with a new style." When the 70's/80's pop intro blared out, I didn't panic that he might be stuck in the past with Joe Thomas. I decided this was a style he wanted to give his own spin to. Listening to the album this way, with no expectations of how a Brian Wilson album should sound was as liberating to me as a listener as doing it must have been for Brian.

One minor quibble: I feel a few of the songs could have benefitted from a nice Brian tag/fade. They seemed to end abruptly and a bit jarringly and felt more "terminated" than finished.  

I'm enjoying this album a lot and the more I listen the more I find to enjoy. I love the smooth jazz of "Half Moon Bay," the cool bossa nova of "On the Island" and the wry commentary of "Guess You Had To Be There." "This Beautiful Day" ties us back to TWGMTR while leading into "Runaway Dancer" which pretty much shows us that this isn't TWGMTR-2.  "Sail Away" makes me happy while "One Kind of Love" and "Last Song" make me tear up. And, anything Al Jardine sings on becomes the Beach Boys in my mind.

All in all, I like it. Thanks Brian, and "No pier/peer pressure" indeed.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 06:00:34 AM by Cyncie » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 15, 2015, 06:06:00 PM »

My review:

This Beautiful Day - beautiful soulful vocals, nice simple track and lovely harmonies.

Runaway Dancer - the real kicker of the album. really cool modern approach to a track but still has that BW signature that makes it a joy to hear. no wonder it´s the most popular one.

Whatever Happened - didn´t really connect with this since I feel it doesn´t have the emotional impact its trying to have. one of the weaker tracks imo.

On The Island - very nice bossa nova salute, easy little ditty, but very enjoyable and I quite enjoy Zoey´s straight delivery.

Half Moon Bay - a great instrumental, lush vocals and mellow trumpet sound makes this a very pleasant to listen.

Our Special Love - nice harmonies, but more for the sake of harmonies than a strong song. it could benefit from having real instruments rather than Hollens beatboxing in the background. pointless lyrics.

The Right Time - could benefit from having 2 consecutive opening verses. nice ditty, well produced but some pussycat guitar licks inbetween.

Guess You Had To Be There - trash

Tell Me Why - like "Whatever happened", but just a weaker retread. the BGVs are too loud, and all over.

Sail Away - not convinced by the hype of this one but I´m not in the "shittier Sloop J B" camp either. it´s lyrics are a little daft and it has a slightly whimsical sound to it. would fit right next to Heigh-ho/ yo ho (a pirate´s life for me) and Al´s pirate Sloop J B. that´s not a good thing.

One Kind Of Love - a nice pleasant tune, chorus is very lovely. the topic of the song is retread of the most basic love ballad lyrically.

Saturday Night - I really liked the live version from the ventian, there seems to be a little lacking in the production. not bad by any means.

Last Song - symphonic, a little too much of a "downer" for my taste. the "lalalala" bits don´t do it for me because the are usually placed in a more joyous context (I guess people dig the juxtaposition of that)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 04:04:41 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 16, 2015, 11:37:53 PM »

My two cents...

First off, I don't agree with rating the album on a "one-to-five stars" scale.  That would mean we are limited to giving it a 20,40,60,80 or 100.  I will go with a scale from 0-100.

I give the album a 90.

After three listens, my rating would have been a 65.  But the more I've listened, the more I've liked it.  In comparison, I gave Imagination and GIOMH the same chance, playing each at least a dozen times before judging.  Both of those albums failed miserably in terms of "growing" on me.  NPP is a "grower".

It's not perfect.  A bit too jazzy for my taste.  A bit more slick than I like in spots.  And there are a couple of tunes that seem to end rather abruptly.  But I like all the guest vocalist spots a good deal.  Hearing Blondie with a lead vocal is a beautiful thing.  Al is a treasure.  And Brian's vocals are his best in ages.

There it is, short and sweet...
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 01, 2015, 08:08:41 AM »

Speaking of lyrics, "are you as real as I imagined?" is a pretty clever turn of phrase!!

But what the heck does "late at night my head walks around you" mean?
kwebb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 01, 2015, 10:35:14 AM »

But what the heck does "late at night my head walks around you" mean?

Dreaming about them at night? Maybe?
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #465 on: May 01, 2015, 12:30:26 PM »

some thoughts

1.This Beautiful Day - very nice, lovely vocal, short n sweet

2.Runaway Dancer - sort of liked it at first, cant listen to it anymore

3.What Ever Happened - decent song but a little boring

4.On the Island - Dull but good vocals

5.Half Moon Bay - like this one, very Burt..

6.Our Special Love - This is very good. I understand the boyband comparisons re:Hollens but its a very interesting song and one of my favourite off the album.

7. The Right Time - Dull as.....but I like Al's vocal

8. Guess You Had to Be There - ho hum....

9. Don't Worry - not really sure what to make of this...kinda fun but those synths?

10. Somewhere Quiet - good idea to bring this one back....I like it

11. I'm Feeling Sad - Excellent! would love a Brian album of these type of songs...would really REALLY LOVE.....

12. Tell Me Why - very good song..one of my top 3 on this album

13. Sail Away - I really like Blondie's vocal though some people really do not it seems..don't know why

14. One Kind of Love - Best song on the album! great vocal from Brian though obviously (ahem) assisted...

15. Saturday Night - Crap (sorry)...good singer though

16. The Last Song - Disappointing...nowhere near the quality of PCH or FTTBA IMO
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 12:36:03 PM by My Brother Woody » Logged

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 01, 2015, 01:31:59 PM »

a real grower.    Lots of room for repeated listenings.   All in all,  it's up there with the best of his solo stuff .   I like the line on Feeling Sad:   went to the grocery store forgot what I went there for.      Well, you know, one old fart to some others , LOL!
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 01, 2015, 02:18:39 PM »

Ultimately, the only way to evaluate an album is by the pleasure, broadly defined, that it brings the listener. That's purely subjective. NPP has brought me endless pleasure. "Extra," more rational (or should I say prosaic) reasons (something beyond the pure feeling of sonic, harmonic, primitive pleasure ) enter in: BW is speaking to us at a time of life; I love to hear Al; it's cool to hear Blondie; wow, Dave is playing guitar!, etc. These elements will vary as well. One thing I will say: it's easy to underestimate how beautiful and powerful this record is. It's an inspired gem. Again, the best song? Whatever happened. A BB producer wrote to me very kindly to say that's his fav so far as well--it really is a classic.

Can't stop listening, even if the "record player" is turned off.

quote author=donald link=topic=20243.msg514723#msg514723 date=1430512319]
a real grower.    Lots of room for repeated listenings.   All in all,  it's up there with the best of his solo stuff .   I like the line on Feeling Sad:   went to the grocery store forgot what I went there for.      Well, you know, one old fart to some others , LOL!
[/quote]
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #468 on: May 01, 2015, 04:19:39 PM »

I'm kind of done noodling with it and re-writing; I'll spend another month taking free time to keep adding and subtracting. So here is my full review of "No Pier Pressure":

http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/

Also, I've got a Facebook page for the Beach Boys Opinion Page blog if anyone wants to check it out and "like" it if possible just so I know somebody out there is reading: http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 01, 2015, 04:25:21 PM »

I'm finally done with school, so hopefully I'll get my review up sometime next week.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 01, 2015, 05:43:14 PM »

Hey Jude, you know Dave's parts on both those songs, some of which (intro and outro of TRT) were detailed by Carrie Marks here. He's not so hard to distinguish as you say. But, then again, I make that effort above all others to hear  and savor him. I think you underestimate the emotional aspects of Whatever happened, and you heartlessly miss the majestic beauty of Somewhere Quiet. In fact, you seems emotionally cold to the poignancy of the  entire record--willfully so.  But otherwise, a well-paced review.

I'm kind of done noodling with it and re-writing; I'll spend another month taking free time to keep adding and subtracting. So here is my full review of "No Pier Pressure":

http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/

Also, I've got a Facebook page for the Beach Boys Opinion Page blog if anyone wants to check it out and "like" it if possible just so I know somebody out there is reading: http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 02, 2015, 02:24:33 PM »

Hey Woody I'm a big fan of Blondie's vocal on Sail Away too, and kind of wish he got to do the second verse instead of Bri (although Bri does of course produce many very good vocals elsewhere on the album).  Blondie has a real warmth and wisdom to his voice these days, his verse is among my fave parts of the album.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
rogerlancelot
« Reply #472 on: May 02, 2015, 08:28:26 PM »

Hi. I began by listening to the cd. Immediately I was struck with the unusual change in style Brian had been using compared to anything else in his entire catalog. Then I realized that for some reason, Black Sabbath Vol. 4 was in my cd player. After I found my 18-track BW cd (Target is just a short walk from my house) and corrected my error, I began the trek into No Pier Pressure. I really enjoyed "Whatever Happened" and "One Kind Of Love" the most, both being "instant classics". The 1975 version of "In The Back Of My Mind" brought tears to my eyes until my wife asked me what in the hell I was doing with her sliced onions. I think this is the definitive version of "Love And Mercy" and I also really enjoyed "Snowblind" and "Tomorrow's Dream". Overall, the calmness of this album will ensure some very relaxed bowel evacuations in the future. I rate it 5 out of 5 because it's Brian Wilson and because I can't make it a 6.
 Cry
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 03, 2015, 02:59:18 AM »

Roger hope the wife is happy with 5.  Try skipping the onion's you might achieve a 6 and both of you will (Smile)
KDS
« Reply #474 on: May 04, 2015, 05:36:14 AM »

Listened to NPP again yesterday.  I'm starting to come around on Our Special Love, which I didn't like the first few times I heard it. 

So, that's 14 of 16 that I really like.  If Runaway Dancer sounded more like the live Soundstage version, I'd like it a lot more.  Still can't get too excited about Guess You Had to Be There. 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx