gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 07:06:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Meeting David Leaf + BW Soundcheck '99 (audio)  (Read 1935 times)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2012, 07:24:22 PM »

Sometimes I forget how awesome of a time it was to be a Brian Wilson fan in '98-'99. Between the new album at the time, the 1st ever solo tour, the interviews & in-store signings - those were truly exciting times.

This clip is from June 18th, 1999. Brian had just started his 1st solo tour, and this was to be I believe the 7th show of the tour. A few months prior, I met Bob Hanes (RIP) through the PSML. Like many others here, I had the good fortune of being mentored & educated in the way of the BB's/BW by this great man. He linked me up with Darian, for whom I provided some tapes for him & the band to study for their upcoming tour. He also introduced me to David Leaf who I ended up spending some time on the phone with. He was always very cool & generous with his time. The kind person that he is (along with a word from Bob), David offered me to come to the soundcheck at the Beacon Theater in New York. I was too pumped and of course said hell yes. However, there was one issue: The soundcheck fell on the same day that I was to take my 9th grade Earth Science Regents exam. This was a problem, because the Regents exams are not something you just skip out on.

Long story short, I ended up having to go to summer school just so I could go to the soundcheck. The BW heavens were shining down upon me, and I wasn't about to let that moment pass.

This is a clip of me meeting Mr. Leaf at the soundcheck, followed by BW + band rehearsing "Add Some Music". At that time set list information wasn't so instantly available, so even though he had played this song a few nights prior, this was the first I heard of him doing it and you can hear how exciting it was.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RzQLv09scQ

PS - I apologize for my whiny 15 year old voice talking midway through the song. Apparently I was freaking out about losing the case for my tape recorder (my Dad's vintage 70's portable cassette/FM radio - very cool piece).

And if anyone's interested, this was the full set list @ the soundcheck:

Lay Down Burden
Tune Up
Love And Mercy (no Brian)
Keyboard rehearsals
Percussion rehearsals
Pet Sounds
California Girls
Add Some Music
More Tune Up
Your Imagination (false start)
Your Imagination (complete)
Kicked Out
Darlin'
Brian Talking
Surfer Girl (false start)
Surfer Girl (complete)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 08:03:57 PM »

Very ironic, I met Brian's band at a show in NYC last summer as a 14 year old!

Not as INCREDIBLE as your full on experience, but I said a few words to some of the guys and had an awesome time talking to Darian about how amazing the wonder mints are (haha)

But anyway, unforgettable moments man... Truly amazing Smiley

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 11:04:51 PM »

Very cool awesome end to my day!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 02:57:37 AM »

Very ironic, I met Brian's band at a show in NYC last summer as a 14 year old!

Not as INCREDIBLE as your full on experience, but I said a few words to some of the guys and had an awesome time talking to Darian about how amazing the wonder mints are (haha)

But anyway, unforgettable moments man... Truly amazing Smiley

That's awesome dude! What's your favorite Wondermints song? Darian's the man. Not enough good things can be said about Darian. Super cool dude + keeps it real.. I had given him a CD of my stuff (Either at the Beacon or at BB Kings the following year) and he actually helped me out by letting me know that I got some notes wrong on my "Our Prayer" cover. He also joked about me trying to hit the low notes, when clearly my voice hadn't changed all the way yet, lol. I always appreciated his honesty, especially dealing with music. I find that that's hard to come by.

Very cool awesome end to my day!!

Nice!! Glad u enjoyed it!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 03:30:09 AM »

Man it's tough... The WHOLE first album (Playtex is awesommmmeeeer)
Most of WWITW (have a Japanese copy, I love the don't go breaking my heart cover)
And I actually haven't even heard Bali, but MIIMLTY is pretty good as well (shine, ride...)

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 09:00:59 AM »

Darian is possibly the coolest dude in the known universe. This little tale will suffice to illustrate why.

Birmingham (England), summer 2005: a whole bunch of us were backstage with the band, hanging, drinking and generally having a blast when the road manager stuck his head around the door and observed the bus was waiting. And was, to a man, ignored. This scene was repeated some four times at decreasing intervals, with the RM becoming increasingly irate. Finally, upon being told that if they didn't come NOW the bus would leave without them, Darian turned to him and, with some asperity, said "we're talking with our friends". Note, not "some fans" or even "these guys", but "our friends". That's what sets Brian's band aside from any other I've encountered (except Mike & Bruce's people, also good eggs to a man).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 09:02:03 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 09:05:01 AM »

I like the idea of the tour bus taking off without the band… and the RM explaining to BW why his next gig will be solo!  Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 09:22:55 AM »

Darian is possibly the coolest dude in the known universe. This little tale will suffice to illustrate why.

Birmingham (England), summer 2005: a whole bunch of us were backstage with the band, hanging, drinking and generally having a blast when the road manager stuck his head around the door and observed the bus was waiting. And was, to a man, ignored. This scene was repeated some four times at decreasing intervals, with the RM becoming increasingly irate. Finally, upon being told that if they didn't come NOW the bus would leave without them, Darian turned to him and, with some asperity, said "we're talking with our friends". Note, not "some fans" or even "these guys", but "our friends". That's what sets Brian's band aside from any other I've encountered (except Mike & Bruce's people, also good eggs to a man).
Strictly speaking, Darian was still being impolite towards the RM and the waiting bus driver.  Wink But yeah, Darian's da man. ˛
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 12:39:11 PM »

He is! He actually went to get Brian for me, but he was getting ready, and he said "Sorry about that buddy!" and I said "Don't be! Meeting you is already awesome!"
I had him sign my H&V single and he said "Is this an original? I couldn't sign this!" and I said "I want to get my three most important figures for Smile to sign this, and I'd totally go as far to say I'd never have heard it had it not been for your amazing work with Brian on BWPS" (I know that's a bit disputable but hey, you can't deny he was a HUGE part.)

...and I could tell he was really truly touched by it.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx