gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680903 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 07, 2024, 02:11:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian (a.k.a. Thank You)  (Read 5089 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2014, 02:21:17 AM »

I know this was a very controversial song (despite being unreleased)... but I gotta say, musically it's quite interesting.

A few questions for those in the know:

- "My cousins say I ain't the same" (plural "cousins" instead of "cousin")... is that presumably a reference to both Mike AND Stan Love? (Stan of course gave a 1990 press conference about Brian/Landy which Brian himself crashed). Or Steve Love too?  

I can't think of any other reason for the "cousins" reference.

- Is it pretty much assumed that Landy wrote the entire lyrics for this song?

- Safe to say that the song will never see official release due to the lyrically defamatory nature to the family?

And is anything else known about it?

« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 10:23:23 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 07:44:00 AM »

It is a fascinating song in that Brian sang it. He could disavow the negativity his "autobiography". We know he didn't write it. But here, he is obviously quite aware of the message and is in a sense endorsing it by singing it.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 07:55:16 AM »

And not only does he sing it, he sings it quite well. His background vocals, in particular, are nice and relaxed. If you think about it, the song is kinda like a template for "Happy Days".
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 10:16:24 AM »

Crazy beatings, from my father, AH-UMMMMMM, AH-UMMMMMMM.

(someone here once pointed out that they randomly sing that line to themselves, and then I started doing it too. Good times)

One weird line to me is "I've decided to change and grow".  It's such a weird line, as if written by someone who doesn't understand how hard, arguably impossible, it actually is to change and grow. 
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 11:06:04 AM »

It's such a weird line, as if written by someone who doesn't understand how hard, arguably impossible, it actually is to change and grow. 

Eh? It is hard but not impossible. I have seen it loads of times in the lives of friends and family.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 11:06:49 AM »

- Is it pretty much assumed that Landy wrote the entire lyrics for this song?

(snip)

And is anything else known about it?

Brian sings some of this on the "Hotel Tape" from around 1990, and it has an entirely different set of lyrics. Much more "Brian."

My assumption has been that he wrote the song himself, with Landy reworking the lyrics for SI. I hope that a demo with that original set of lyrics is somewhere in the archives.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 11:07:55 AM by Wirestone » Logged
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 12:00:07 PM »

It's such a weird line, as if written by someone who doesn't understand how hard, arguably impossible, it actually is to change and grow. 

Eh? It is hard but not impossible. I have seen it loads of times in the lives of friends and family.

No I know, I don't mean to imply that people don't change (but do they?) or can't change (but can they?)   I've changed plenty (or did I?!), and so have many of my friends (or have they!?!), so yeah, anybody can change (OR CAN THEY!?!)

You know what I mean!   Grin
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 12:41:48 PM »

Always liked this one. Hard to say if it was Landy's or Brian's lyrics (or both). More than likely Landy though - sounds like something written from the outside looking in. Could be a collaboration though on the lyrics. Worthy of release, I'd say, with or without the original lyrics.

All my life I've been runnin' scared
Feelin' shut out, no one cared
Not my mother, not my brother
Crazy beatings by my father, a-ooh a-ooh
Music's been my saving grace
Been my ticket to a better place
Brought me riches, brought me fame
Many people know my name, a-ooh a-ooh
My old friends who knew me when
Say "Brian you've come a long, long way"
Thank you,
Thank you wo wo-o-o-oh
My cousins say I ain't the same
Criticize I change my game
They're not happy 'cause I'm different
More creative, independent, a-ooh a-ooh
I've decided to change and grow
Taste the new and release the old
Those who love me, they know I'm tryin'
Livin' brave instead of dyin', a-ooh a-ooh

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 01:01:44 PM »

There were clips of Brian performing this at the piano when he was interviewed on Channel 4 (UK) programme "Friday Night at the Dome", 1991.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 11:32:01 PM »

Although the lyrics make me cringe, the tune itself is very nice, one of the standouts on SI.
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 02:15:18 AM »

Can anyone with a decent copy of the 1990 hotel tape try and post some of the original lyrics ?
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 10:29:08 AM »

This thread reminds me of the late Bob Hanes...  Bob despised this song, and would sing it as "Crazy beatings from my father, thank you, thank you."

Lee
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 10:50:17 AM »

It's not a bad song, Lee.  I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that it's almost as good as Will Brison's "Landy He Needs Me".

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 11:07:21 AM »

David Leaf sounded kinda pissed when I asked him about "Thank You". He said it reminded him of what a terrible time it was in Brian's life.

I agree that the music/melody is one of Brian's best, especially from that particular era.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 01:17:56 PM »

It's not a bad song, Lee.  I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that it's almost as good as Will Brison's "Landy He Needs Me".
Never heard of that one Mikie! Wink

Lee
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 03:37:05 PM »

There were clips of Brian performing this at the piano when he was interviewed on Channel 4 (UK) programme "Friday Night at the Dome", 1991.

One wonders if the song being showcased in that manner meant perhaps it was considered to be a possible eventual single from the album (had it seen actual release). At least it seems it would have been treated as a "standout track" of sorts.

If Sweet Insanity (including this song) had actually been released, I wonder how that album would be treated with regards to reissues. I have a hunch (at least some) band members might embarrassed by some things in their catalog like:

-Hey Little Tomboy (just my guess)
-Looking Back with Love (by Mike's own admission)
-most of the Summer in Paradise album (I wonder if this album not being reissued was partially a result of some band members wanting to bury its existence. I'm sure poor sales were a factor, but I think some in the band truly want people to forget it ever happened)
-Going Public (Bruce hates it, right? Though it still got reissued, I'm guessing that was out of Bruce's hands)

If Brian (a.k.a. Thank You) had been released, that would most certainly make for awkward times if Brian's entire solo catalog at some point gets a re-release treatment. I really, really doubt this song will ever get released officially, though I'd love to be proven wrong, since I want everything eventually released.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 03:47:14 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 04:15:51 PM »

One wonders if the song being showcased in that manner meant perhaps it was considered to be a possible eventual single from the album (had it seen actual release). At least it seems it would have been treated as a "standout track" of sorts.

If Sweet Insanity (including this song) had actually been released, I wonder how that album would be treated with regards to reissues. I have a hunch (at least some) band members might embarrassed by some things in their catalog like:

-most of the Summer in Paradise album (I wonder if this album not being reissued was partially a result of some band members wanting to bury its existence. I'm sure poor sales were a factor, but I think some in the band truly want people to forget it ever happened)
-Going Public (Bruce hates it, right? Though it still got reissued, I'm guessing that was out of Bruce's hands)

If Brian (a.k.a. Thank You) had been released, that would most certainly make for awkward times if Brian's entire solo catalog at some point gets a re-release treatment. I really, really doubt this song will ever get released officially, though I'd love to be proven wrong, since I want everything eventually released.

Possibly but Al has actually praised Hey Little Tomboy as a good song.

Mike and Bruce have both praised Summer in Paradise.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 05:24:58 PM »

Possibly but Al has actually praised Hey Little Tomboy as a good song.

Mike and Bruce have both praised Summer in Paradise.

I actually like Hey Little Tomboy too (lecherous subject matter and especially "shave your legs" early version lyrics aside), but was this praise recent? And was Mike/Bruce's Summer in Paradise praise for the album or just the song? I know they like the song enough to still soundcheck it and to include the live version on MIC, but I'd assumed (maybe wrongly?) that nobody in the band has had many, if any, fond words for the album itself, songs or production, except perhaps some kind words by Mike when promoting it back in '92-'93.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 06:05:54 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2014, 01:43:02 AM »

Bump ...

Early Brian lyrics for this song?
Nicko1234
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2014, 02:09:29 AM »

I actually like Hey Little Tomboy too (lecherous subject matter and especially "shave your legs" early version lyrics aside), but was this praise recent? And was Mike/Bruce's Summer in Paradise praise for the album or just the song? I know they like the song enough to still soundcheck it and to include the live version on MIC, but I'd assumed (maybe wrongly?) that nobody in the band has had many, if any, fond words for the album itself, songs or production, except perhaps some kind words by Mike when promoting it back in '92-'93.

Both Mike and Bruce have had positive things to say about the album.

Al praised Hey Little Tomboy when interviewed in, I think, 1998. Not exactly recent but not when he was trying to promote the album either.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2014, 03:42:38 AM »

In his Goldmine interview from 2000, Al specifically mentioned "Hey Little Tomboy" and "She's Got Rhythm" amongst his favourites from M.I.U.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Nicko1234
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2014, 05:23:40 AM »

In his Goldmine interview from 2000, Al specifically mentioned "Hey Little Tomboy" and "She's Got Rhythm" amongst his favourites from M.I.U.

Yep, sorry that`s the interview I was referring to. It was done in 1999 I think but printed later.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2014, 09:35:10 AM »

I agree.  It may also have been seen as being a song that summed up everything Brian had to overcome (according to Landy) and fits in with the image of Brian being treated poorly by his family but now 'rescued' by the doctor.  Like some kind of propaganda tune.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2014, 09:40:57 AM »

I agree.  It may also have been seen as being a song that summed up everything Brian had to overcome (according to Landy) and fits in with the image of Brian being treated poorly by his family but now 'rescued' by the doctor.  Like some kind of propaganda tune.

I suppose the song is the most propaganda-like tune that Brian has ever been involved with. Landy probably saw the tune as a vehicle for getting himself media praise or something. How vile.

I wonder if the "Thank You" lyrical sentiment was intended to be directed at Landy or Brian's fans. I always thought he was thanking his old friends who said he'd come a long, long way... but now that I think about it, perhaps the intention was for it to be a thank you to both them and a pat-on-the-back thanks to Landy himself.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2014, 09:53:53 AM »

David Leaf sounded kinda pissed when I asked him about "Thank You". He said it reminded him of what a terrible time it was in Brian's life.

I agree that the music/melody is one of Brian's best, especially from that particular era.
then he turned green and started smashing things.. "Leaf Smash LEAF SMASH!!!!"
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx