gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680975 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 08:18:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reminder: Beach Boys on Fallon Tonight - May 7th, 2012  (Read 71585 times)
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 08, 2012, 12:11:40 AM »

Seriously, if they do end up recording Brian's "rock" album in the future, they need to get Questo and whoever was responsible for the sound mixing on Fallon's show. to co-produce/engineer it instead of Joe Thomas.

?uestlove would be GREAT. BB/The Roots together on a song? Hell to the yeah.
Would be awesome to see him get hold of the SMiLE stuff

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 08, 2012, 12:20:49 AM »

Interview here.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/05/video-the-beach-boys-surf-into-fallon/
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 08, 2012, 12:40:29 AM »

Wow I am SO GLAD that Jay Leno is over. Terrible, terrible stuff.

Jimmy seemed really giddy when announcing the band before In My Room. Made me smile.

No mas, por favor.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 08, 2012, 12:47:25 AM »

They came off GREAT! Loved seeing Mike & Brian get that applause.

Well deserved, and well played!
Craig Feldspar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 08, 2012, 12:59:26 AM »

holy crap! I am near speechless. Maybe the success of this performance will get them to tone down the weird effects or auto-tune or whatever is on Brian's voice for the rest of this tour! sure there were some flat notes... BUT IT WAS RAW SOULFUL AND PASSIONATE. That my friends = music.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 08, 2012, 01:03:28 AM »

Ladies & Gentlemen.. . THE BEACH BOYS !!!!

Grin  <- me while watching this

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 08, 2012, 01:08:39 AM »

Best. And. Most. Uplifting. Thread. Ever.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: May 08, 2012, 01:31:25 AM »

This is my impression from watching just the clips online (don't have TV at home)

"In My Room" was good, Brian's voice very prominent in the mix.

I always feel anxious watching interviews of my favorite artists on late-night, nervous that someone is going to say something awkward.  This interview was good, and it was cool to see Mike & Brian laughing together, but my one qualm: why wasn't Al there?  I feel like Al is being treated like a second-string Beach Boy, which he is definitely not.  It was great to see Mike helping Brian on and off the stage.

"That's Why God Made The Radio".  There were moments of brilliance, and also some cringeworthy moments for me...Brian was very flat at times, and it seemed to throw the other vocalists off somewhat.  Also, Brian's shrugging was really awkward.  But I agree with the posters who say they'd rather hear off vocals than autotune.

"Wouldn't It Be Nice" was the best of the 3 performances, even with the lyrical mess-up.  Al and Jeff did great, glad to see Al featured on a lead.  Mike's part on the bridge was great as well...his best lead on a televised appearance in a long time!  

Overall, a great appearance, so glad that Jimmy gave the Beach Boys the time they deserve.  I think overall it came off well to the general viewer, and I think there will be more than a few people who will buy the album and/or watch a concert as a result!   Smiley
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 01:44:26 AM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 08, 2012, 01:41:15 AM »

There are moments as a Beach Boys fan you despair, then there are moments of elation but underneath it all you know there is something special.

So far the whole 50 has been a marketing exercise for me - until tonight - tonight I found the elation and the something special - Wouldn't It Be Nice was unfreakin'believable!! Faark!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
bcdam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 08, 2012, 01:42:41 AM »

As much as I enjoyed the performances and the interview...watching Brian out there, looking like he REALLY didn't want to be taking part, either during the performances or interview - kinda made me feel sad (when he closed his eyes during the interview or he looked extremely uncomfortable during the performances, especially WIBN, when he was just jamming the piano keys and looking off screen). I just hope that he's in to doing the tour and promo appearances and it's not just a thing that his handlers are making him do.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 08, 2012, 01:54:23 AM »

As much as I enjoyed the performances and the interview...watching Brian out there, looking like he REALLY didn't want to be taking part, either during the performances or interview - kinda made me feel sad (when he closed his eyes during the interview or he looked extremely uncomfortable during the performances, especially WIBN, when he was just jamming the piano keys and looking off screen). I just hope that he's in to doing the tour and promo appearances and it's not just a thing that his handlers are making him do.

Always has to be someone to pee in the Cheerios, wot?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 08, 2012, 01:56:28 AM »

This has been mentioned but I agree with those who have said he IS enjoying being out there. As Mike mentioned, all their whims are being taken care of this time round. Sure they are 70 but the reception they are getting has got to be a buzz for all of them, including Brian.

He may be appearing to zone out, but to be honest, would he be any different at home at the moment?
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 08, 2012, 01:59:21 AM »

Brian definitely seemed to be into it. Nervous, but into it.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 08, 2012, 02:02:34 AM »

I just watched the clips (am in Holland), and I think I saw the 8th wonder of the world.    Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Unbridled joy and good feeling...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 02:03:54 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

bcdam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 08, 2012, 02:04:50 AM »

Well, don't mean to pee in anyone's breakfast cereal, because that would just be weird. I was only mentioning a thought that perhaps Brian wasn't up for all this publicity. But hey, if he's enjoying it and it's what he wants to do, great. IMO, it just hasn't seemed like that based on what I've seen/read over the last few weeks.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 02:05:45 AM by bcdam » Logged
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 08, 2012, 02:10:47 AM »

Well, don't mean to pee in anyone's breakfast cereal, because that would just be weird. I was only mentioning a thought that perhaps Brian wasn't up for all this publicity. But hey, if he's enjoying it and it's what he wants to do, great. IMO, it just hasn't seemed like that based on what I've seen/read over the last few weeks.

Just kidding (re cereal comment).  Brian never looks very comfortable out there, yet he's been doing solo shows and now these shows for over ten years.  I thought he looked really comfortable and relaxed, for him, the most relaxed I've seen him on TV.  Comparatively speaking.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 08, 2012, 02:13:01 AM »

He has not looked like he has enjoyed himself since he started solo. Its just the way he is. We live with it like he does.

And please don't let a great thread be derailed by what those close to him may or may not make him do. Thats NOT what tonight should be about.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 08, 2012, 02:26:50 AM »

That was f--kin' great!!!  Smiley Cheesy Grin LOL

In my room - speechless.

That's Why -  go go, Bruce - he was great.  Mike was really starin' down the camera, pretty engaging

WIBN - Yay, Al, yay Mike - loved Brian's goofy smile towards the end, he looked like '63 Brian

Yeah, Dave on all of them, and the band is smokin'!

Watchin' it again!!!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 08, 2012, 02:46:17 AM »

That was f--kin' great!!!  Smiley Cheesy Grin LOL

In my room - speechless.

That's Why -  go go, Bruce - he was great.  Mike was really starin' down the camera, pretty engaging

WIBN - Yay, Al, yay Mike - loved Brian's goofy smile towards the end, he looked like '63 Brian

Yeah, Dave on all of them, and the band is smokin'!

Watchin' it again!!!

Well said that man! Am still, um, smiling... and didn't the organ at the start of TWGMTR sound soulful? Bit like in Soul Searching...

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 08, 2012, 02:52:24 AM »

"Wouldn't It Be Nice" was a great closer, even if half the band flubbed the second verse. 

Flubbing the lyrics to that song is something of a tradition with the BBs.

“We live in divisive times.”
Too Much Sugar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 08, 2012, 03:20:20 AM »

A really great showing. 

The beginning was perfect, from the lighting to the actual introduction.  No frills or band biography, just Jimmy Fallon saying "Ladies and gentleman, the Beach Boys...", which is all that really needs to be said.  Picking "In My Room" to begin was a stroke of genius.  Surprising, but a perfect choice for an intimate setting like that.  Plus, while it's well-known, it's not one you hear as often as other classics, so that was really nice. 

And, of course, we finally get to hear mostly all Beach Boys vocals, mixed well.  They sounded great.  Brian sang those first few lines very sweetly and the rest of the band sounded great.  An astounding way to begin and I'd argue that it's one of their best moments in a long time.  Beautiful. 

Jennifer Connelly is hot. 

The interview was fun.  Jimmy Fallon isn't a great interviewer (then again, it's late night, who is?), but his style worked perfectly.  He seems to have a decent knowledge of the band and their music and it's nice to see Brian and Mike interviewed as just two guys, instead of going into the same repetitive B.S. about previous band troubles or Brian's history.  The Elvis story was great, watching Brian teach Jimmy the harmonies to "Barbara Ann" was cool and they seemed in good spirits.  It's nice to see that side of them. 

While I loved "In My Room", admittedly, I thought "That's Why God Made The Radio" was mostly a train wreck vocally.  Pretty flat throughout and some cringeworthy moments that likely won't win many casual fans.  However, I did find myself enjoying the song more with the organic, intimate vibe.  Musically and vocally, there seemed to be far more realism to it.  While the studio version isn't "Imagination", I do think the song is too slick and lacks a warmth and intimacy, which seemed to be brought out tonight.  Would have liked to have seen more of that vibe on the single. 

I thought they rebounded very nicely on "Wouldn't It Be Nice".  Al sounded great, which is all the more reason why I didn't think he needed to be doubled on it.  In fact, I think all the doubling made things sound a bit sloppy.  But it was a fine performance and a great way to close. 

You really have to give a lot of credit to Jimmy Fallon.  Not only did he give the band the opportunity and time they deserve, but they were treated with respect.  Nearly anyone would give them a song or so at the end, maybe a brief interview.  But to pre-empt the credits, get a full interview, along with two more songs?  You can probably count with one hand how many times that happens.  It was a very classy affair and just so well done.  Props to Fallon for doing that, not just for the Beach Boys, but for quite a few classic groups during his show's run.  A great night for the band and for the fans.  I'm very excited. 
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 08, 2012, 03:54:44 AM »

Mike Love is on fire.....

"Can you teach me Barbara Ann"

"THAT AIN'T NO THING"

And another for the Brianisms....

Brian: Is that our album? Wow! It's the first time I've seen our album!

LOL

The performances are cool - most lols come from the entire band RAMMED onto that tiny stage  LOL TWGMTR was a little rubato, shall we say. WIBN and In MY Room make me giggle like a hyperactive kid. The Beach Boys are back!!!

Also, isn't Mike and Brian holding hands the CUTEST?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 03:56:12 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 08, 2012, 03:57:24 AM »

Oh, and what struck me: Mike was extremely supportive of Brian, helped him in various ways, and there was not one nanosecond where I thought: he's not entirely genuine here, or it's out of some marketing goal. He meant it 110%.

Extremely touching.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 08, 2012, 04:08:26 AM »

Wow, just watched the clips of this. In my Room was so moving. To see the 5 members together and sounding so great - what a perfect choice of song to perform for them now. And the interview is pretty special also. I'm very envious of those going to see the live shows.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 08, 2012, 04:46:42 AM »

I haven't watched the clips yet (about to), but I can't believe the overwhelmingly positive reaction on this board. That hasn't happened...ever. Not that I can remember anyway. Except if you're talking about PS or something.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx