gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680946 Posts in 27622 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 03:35:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: California Feelin' (versions)  (Read 15240 times)
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2007, 01:31:44 PM »

I'm trying to sort out my various BB boots to put on my ipod in chronological order. I know, how cool am I!? I'm in good company Smiley

Anyway, i have three versions of California Feelin' and I was hoping someone could clarify for the dates they were recorded.

I have Brian's version from 2001/2 on the Brian-curated compilation, but i also have 2 70s-sounding versions. One has Carl singing, which sounds like the version Brian did. It has more prominent backing vocals and a synth and organ.

The other version is more basic, piano-based at the start, there is some organ and guitar but no synth, and has either Brian or Al singing. I would guess Al doing his most Brian-like voice.

I love this song, and can't believe they never put it out in their lifetime. Now where's that boxset?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 01:36:54 PM »

I'm trying to sort out my various BB boots to put on my ipod in chronological order. I know, how cool am I!? I'm in good company Smiley

Anyway, i have three versions of California Feelin' and I was hoping someone could clarify for the dates they were recorded.

I have Brian's version from 2001/2 on the Brian-curated compilation, but i also have 2 70s-sounding versions. One has Carl singing, which sounds like the version Brian did. It has more prominent backing vocals and a synth and organ.

The other version is more basic, piano-based at the start, there is some organ and guitar but no synth, and has either Brian or Al singing. I would guess Al doing his most Brian-like voice.

I love this song, and can't believe they never put it out in their lifetime. Now where's that boxset?

Unless you've got something extraordinary, 'the other version' is the 1977 American Spring recording with Rocky Pamplin on lead vocal. The version with carl taking the lead hails from 1978.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 01:55:57 PM »

Rocky Pamplin? His voice is pretty good!
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 05:02:17 PM »

Even though most will disagree, I also think Pamplin's vox are great, certainly way better than Carl's laconic attempt. But what of the mysterious BW version from the early 70's...?

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 05:46:59 PM »

It's never been booted, and there are maybe 5 people on the board who have heard it. Sadly, I'm not one of them.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 03:01:35 AM »

Rocky Pamplin? His voice is pretty good!

I'd definitely agree, I think the Pamplin one is the best one though has the poorest reputation. The track isn't as plodding and the production is brought out a bit more, I like Rockys voice, its a bit Hasselhoff-esque but at least he sounds like he's interested. As for the track though, its a bit dull, I have a feeling that Brians demo is the one that might trump them all!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 04:04:21 AM »

Carl's version sounds better when speeded up.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 05:09:21 AM »

There may be yet another (unheard) version somewhere in the vaults...Bruce has said he sang on "a couple" of Beach Boys versions, one being the 1978 "L.A." outtake.  Apparently (from those who've heard it), the 1974 version is just Brian and a piano.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 10:34:22 AM »

There may be yet another (unheard) version somewhere in the vaults...Bruce has said he sang on "a couple" of Beach Boys versions, one being the 1978 "L.A." outtake.  Apparently (from those who've heard it), the 1974 version is just Brian and a piano.

I am aware of a 1978 version that has a (disinterested) Brian lead vocal.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 11:47:05 AM »

So why was California Feelin' not released on the Light Album?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 11:59:09 AM »

It's never been booted, and there are maybe 5 people on the board who have heard it. Sadly, I'm not one of them.

Me neither and its truly one of the Holy Grails of Bootlegs for me. I just hope Brian releases it someday.  Cry Cry Cry
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 06:24:05 PM »

Reportedly because Brian didn't want it to be.  Whether he was dissatisfied with that version, or he wanted to hold it for someone else (American Spring?) I do not know.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 07:56:09 PM »

Reportedly because Brian didn't want it to be.  Whether he was dissatisfied with that version, or he wanted to hold it for someone else (American Spring?) I do not know.

Were American Spring still around at that stage?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 09:49:19 PM by mikeyj » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 08:08:55 PM »

I doubt Brian's version of CF would have been considered for L.A. or MIU since he recorded it in 1974.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 08:52:32 PM »

I doubt Brian's version of CF would have been considered for L.A. or MIU since he recorded it in 1974.

There may be yet another (unheard) version somewhere in the vaults...Bruce has said he sang on "a couple" of Beach Boys versions, one being the 1978 "L.A." outtake.

I am aware of a 1978 version that has a (disinterested) Brian lead vocal.
MBE
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 09:51:03 PM »

Bruce didn't like it is why it wasn't on LA Light
XY
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 11:19:44 PM »

Is the 1974 piano version the one which was recorded in the studio by Brian and engineered by Jim Lockhart? According to Steve Kalinich, that's the best version.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 02:08:12 AM »

That didn't stop Sunflower outtakes turning up in the late 70s though - susie cincinatti, Good time, When girls get together...

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 04:48:28 AM »

An early title for MIU was California Feelin', but BW didn't want to let them use the track!  Was it recorded for MIU?  Is it the same version that didn't make it to LA?  If so, Bruce would've appeared on every album since he first joined them.  Carl's lead on this version sounds a bit perfunctory, but the hamrony vocals are pretty good.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 05:09:18 AM »

No, it wasn't the 1974 Brian sung version that was considered for release on "L.A.", but rather the version produced by Brian at Criteria in Miami in Aug/Sept '78, which is the bootlegged version (Carl's lead on the verses, Bruce's on the choruses). 

Come to think of it...it was the earlier "MIU" version which Brian insisted not be included on the last Warners album (originally to be titled "California Feeling", then "Winds Of Change", and finally "The MIU Album").  That version was earmarked for American Spring, which at that time consisted of Rocky Pamplin and the Rovell Sisters.  So in other words, Brian didn't want it on what became "MIU" because he wanted Spring to do it.  He recut it with the Beach Boys in Miami for inclusion on "L.A." but it didn't make the cut (when asked for David Leaf's 'Pet Sounds' fanzine what songs would be on the next LP, Bruce said "A heavy 'no' on 'California Feelin'"). 
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 07:40:47 AM »

That didn't stop Sunflower outtakes turning up in the late 70s though - susie cincinatti, Good time, When girls get together...

Thats true. The thought occured to me once I had posted it... But really the important thing is for Brian to release the 74 Version. COME ONE BRIAN!!!!  Tongue
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 03:07:26 PM »

Which version is this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0EKAR_KJR0
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 03:26:28 PM »

That's the Rocky version I believe.
Jason
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 03:32:29 PM »

Rocky Pamplin's version. The Honeys are on it too.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 03:40:53 PM »

I thought so but I could barely hear the Honey's on background at all in this.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx