gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 08:28:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy Soundtrack  (Read 62807 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2015, 10:26:50 PM »

I believe this hasn't been posted here yet; forgive me if'n I'm wrong:

http://www.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?action=read&id=1438342495.23752&user=bellagio
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 10:28:18 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2015, 11:04:06 PM »

I believe this hasn't been posted here yet; forgive me if'n I'm wrong:

http://www.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?action=read&id=1438342495.23752&user=bellagio

Thus:

http://www.soundtrack.net/movie/love-and-mercy/

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2015, 11:16:47 PM »

Btw, JCM posted all the songs and score songs used for the film in one post. Definitely belongs in this thread. Thanks JCM for posting that!

You're welcome.  Actually, just a couple of days ago Soundtrack.net was updated with the info (from the Press Kit) and it's much more detailed:

http://www.soundtrack.net/movie/love-and-mercy/

Yeah JCM picked it up in June. Guess we will see.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2015, 11:18:37 PM »

The inclusion of a track entitled "End Date" raised a small smile.  Doubtless at the insistence of You Know Who. Smiley

Seriously, there's over 50 titles listed there so... unless some of the Ross compositions are brief in the extreme, can't see it being a single CD, as advertised... unless (encore) some of those titles listed are not separate tracks but used by Ross in his original work, and listed for copyright reasons. Doesn't matter*, really anticipating this.

[* I lie - of course it does.  Grin ]

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2015, 12:12:09 AM »

That's just a reproduction of the credits from the end of the film listing every scrap of music included.

That's not the CD track list.

If there's a CD to begin with.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2015, 01:06:38 AM »

True - I hear they're going to issue it solely on Edison cylinders and single-sided Berliner discs.

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2015, 01:50:52 AM »

Really hope they just release the Ross score as-is and maybe include outtakes or extended versions that didn't make the cut.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2015, 04:07:29 PM »

Just to be clear, when I posted the link to Soundtrack.net (http://www.soundtrack.net/movie/love-and-mercy/) I was just pointing out that they had listed all of the contents from the Press Kit, of the films' soundtrack, and it was much easier to read that listing. Not that this full listing would eventually become the soundtrack album.

It's cool now though that they also list the release of the physical soundtrack, linking back to Amazon I presume. Didn't check. I can only guess but surely we'll see full details of the soundtrack release in the next couple of weeks or so? I'm checking daily, who am I kidding, multiple times a day.

Since we seem to now be speculating about what will be included on the soundtrack album, I'll join in. The Atticus Ross score is truly about 15-20 minutes worth of actual music. Unless there are slightly extended versions of some of the collages, which there probably are for at least some of them. But that still doesn't flesh out a complete CD or digital release. I'm going to just guess that if the music is licensed by UME then it will probably be on the soundtrack. I hope some of the music from in studio, the "live" versions with the musicians are included. But those could be problematic because of dialogue bleeding in. Just guessing.

But, bottom line, I would put money on at least all of Atticus Ross' work being included.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 04:32:41 AM by JCM » Logged

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2015, 08:20:59 PM »

True - I hear they're going to issue it solely on Edison cylinders and single-sided Berliner discs.

Eight track or it didn't happen.

My guess is we get all of the score -- say, 20 minutes. Then 3-4 Pet Sounds tunes, at least one track from Smile, the title tune and One Kind of Love to close.

40 minutes, max.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2015, 04:30:30 AM »

You mean "If there is a CD to begin with." Right?

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2015, 06:00:01 AM »

Goodness knows, BB/BW releases always come out as planned.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2015, 06:13:41 AM »

Goodness knows, BB/BW releases always come out as planned.
That would be the understatement of two centuries!   LOL
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2015, 06:20:16 AM »

I know where you are coming from. However, your posts when taken literally almost seem like you are rooting for this to be wrong so you can say "See, I told  you so!"

I'm just passing along information as I find it on the web. And  I hope the release comes out as planned. There.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 03, 2015, 06:31:05 AM »

I know where you are coming from. However, your posts when taken literally almost seem like you are rooting for this to be wrong so you can say "See, I told  you so!"

I'm just passing along information as I find it on the web. And  I hope the release comes out as planned. There.
Nah! It was a yuk!  LOL

After waiting 37 years for Smile, I can relax with all of this...when I see it I believe it!

The Beach Boys are the masters of surprises!

Que sera, sera...
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 03, 2015, 06:56:22 AM »

Wasn't specifically directing my comment to you, but I can only imagine.

Gotta remain hopeful though! Smiley

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: August 03, 2015, 08:53:07 AM »

Eight track or it didn't happen.

My guess is we get all of the score -- say, 20 minutes. Then 3-4 Pet Sounds tunes, at least one track from Smile, the title tune and One Kind of Love to close.

40 minutes, max.

That would be highly acceptable, sir. Highly acceptable, I say.

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 03, 2015, 09:23:43 AM »

wow there's a lot of songs listed, some twice ("Good Vibrations").
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 03, 2015, 10:00:14 AM »

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 10:19:04 AM by JCM » Logged

Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 03, 2015, 10:57:34 AM »

I notice the ones that are listed twice tend to be the ones performed by both the Beach Boys and either the "Love & Mercy Musicians" or Paul Dano - so we'll get both versions. And in the case of Good Vibrations, might we get some isolated vocals like we heard (to our amazement) in the movie? Note this blurb in the second listing: "Contains voice excerpts of Brian Wilson, Carl Wilson, Dennis Wilson, Chuck Britz and Hal Blaine"....intriguing.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 11:00:02 AM by Catbirdman » Logged

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 03, 2015, 11:09:56 AM »

That's just the list of music performed in the movie. Not the soundtrack's contents.

I notice the ones that are listed twice tend to be the ones performed by both the Beach Boys and either the "Love & Mercy Musicians" or Paul Dano - so we'll get both versions.

Again, that list is just the music performed in the movie. It's not the lineup for the soundtrack. There's no such listing available yet.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 11:19:13 AM by Wirestone » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2015, 11:36:35 AM »

If you’ve seen the movie, you’ve seen that there isn’t much in the way of full songs, especially if we’re talking about Ross’s score as opposed to the re-creations of actual BB, Brian, or studio performances. The lists of Ross’s work appear to be simply lists of all the fragments and excerpts he used in his collages. The big long lists appear to be a case of listing every song from which any sort of fragment or partial performance is included, including the in-studio re-creations and whatnot.

We don’t even know yet if this CD would be a “soundtrack” or the “score”, or a combination of both. If it’s a “score”, which is really the only thing that’s worth putting out on CD, we’ll be getting Ross’s ambient score which weaves fragments of BB tracks in and out of Ross’s own compositions.

If we’re getting a “soundtrack”, then for all we know we may be getting all or mostly old BB master recordings “featured in the film”, perhaps with “One Kind of Love” and maybe some version of “Love and Mercy.” I hope we don’t get this, because then we’d just be getting an alternate hits package.

We could certainly get a hybrid of the two. I could envision a Ross score with “One Kind of Love” tacked on at the end.

Ideally, they would fill out a CD with all of the unedited cues Ross submitted for the film that were used, and then fill it out with any additional cues Ross composed, and then if, and only if, there is room left over, then tack on “One Kind of Love” and anything else they want.

This should be a “Love & Mercy – The Original Motion Picture Score” CD with Atticus Ross’s name on it, with appropriate credits pertaining to the original BB recordings utilized. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 03, 2015, 02:26:47 PM »

Note this blurb in the second listing: "Contains voice excerpts of Brian Wilson, Carl Wilson, Dennis Wilson, Chuck Britz and Hal Blaine"....intriguing.

Good Vibrations "Persuasion" session highlights play during the credits.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 02:27:45 PM by puni puni » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 03, 2015, 02:50:19 PM »

Amazon's listing is now called "Music From" L&M, which suggests that none of the score might be included. That is, they're not billing it as a soundtrack.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 04:18:01 PM by Wirestone » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: August 03, 2015, 03:49:12 PM »

Amazon's listing is now called "Music From" L&M, which suggests that none of the score might be included at all. That is, they're not billing it as a soundtrack.

Still so very little information to go off of, but that doesn't make me optimistic. I was also recently thinking that Capitol is a less likely candidate to put out a movie score, and more likely to do essentially an L&M-themed hits CD (plus they have the current rights to "One Kind of Love").

Does someone know how many actual movie *scores* (not soundtracks) Capitol has put out lately? Usually scores for even major studio releases are put out on smaller labels.

What I *don't* want to see is a hits-filled "soundtrack" CD sprinkled with a few Atticus Ross score bits as link tracks.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 03, 2015, 05:18:02 PM »

Quick glance at the Capitol Records site shows two soundtrack releases from the last few years: "House of Lies" and "This Is 40". Good thing for "Love & Mercy" is that all of the songs utilized by Atticus Ross are owned by UME/Capitol. Quite a few of the songs used in the film are owned by UME so they could, theoretically, be easy to include ("Nowhere to Run" or "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me", for example). Still others, while maybe being under license by UME, wouldn't necessarily need to be included. Songs that weren't really in the foreground of their respective scenes. Anything heard at the car dealership, for example.

I noticed the title correction on both Amazon and B&N, now "Music From Love & Mercy" as mentioned previously. I don't find that alarming necessarily. This is a unique situation where the actual 'film score' (80-90% of it, according to Ross) is made up of source material.

One bonus to the soundtrack not just being solely a 'film score' would be the possible inclusion of isolated vocals like the one's found in the "Good Vibrations" scenes. Because there is live music being played by the in-film studio musicians along with actual backing track, along with isolated vocals..it would be difficult sure, but would be thrilling if that was included. I don't think those isolated vocals have ever been released, what an awesome time for that! Also, the splendid version of "Love & Mercy" from the 2000s that closes the film, the source of which I still cannot find. And how could I forget the last little easter egg to fans at the closing of the credits from the "Good Vibrations" sessions. The film is filled with music, but I can see how compiling this soundtrack must've been a nightmare.

Anyway, worth mentioning Soundtrack.net has two listings for the film. One for the films' soundtrack, previously posted in this thread, and another for the soundtrack release: http://www.soundtrack.net/album/love-and-mercy/. No info yet, same as the other outlets.

Hopefully soon!

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx