gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681063 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 20, 2024, 10:28:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Albums that desparately need bonus tracks  (Read 15111 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2006, 01:03:37 PM »

Would the essence of "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" be ruined if they added "Arnold Layne" and "See Emily Play" as bonus tracks?

Also, I know I'll get some flack from Doors' diehards, but on The Soft Parade album, I'd still like to see "Who Scared You" simply inserted right after "Easy Ride" and before "Wild Child". Don't even call it a bonus track, just put an asterisk stating that it was previously released as a B side. I think it fits perfectly...
Maybelline
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2006, 01:11:56 PM »

Apart from Hounds of Love, all the Kate Bush albums could do with remastering and bonus-tracks.
Chris D.
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2006, 01:14:02 PM »

The Pixies need a decent rarities collection.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2006, 01:25:24 PM »

I thought the singles disc was perfect.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Chris D.
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2006, 01:27:54 PM »

I thought the singles disc was perfect.

They got that right, but half the BBC stuff hasn't been released, and there are outtakes like "Surf Epic," "Brackish Boy," and several different versions of Trompe le Monde stuff which would be cool to hear.
Chance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2006, 07:40:43 PM »

Quote from: Sheriff John Stone
Would the essence of "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" be ruined if they added "Arnold Layne" and "See Emily Play" as bonus tracks?
Apparently Floyd think so. When the limited edition mono CD came out, they specifically stipulated that there be no bonus tracks or the deal was off. So then the A&B sides of the mono singles were compiled on a companion disc, and the label wanted to add the rare French EP mix of "Interstellar Overdrive" as a bonus track to that, but the band again said no.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2006, 07:58:43 PM »

Apparently Floyd think so. When the limited edition mono CD came out, they specifically stipulated that there be no bonus tracks or the deal was off. So then the A&B sides of the mono singles were compiled on a companion disc, and the label wanted to add the rare French EP mix of "Interstellar Overdrive" as a bonus track to that, but the band again said no.

What do you think, Chance? Do you think "Piper" or any other Pink Floyd albums would benefit from bonus tracks. Or are they fine as is...
Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2006, 10:44:15 PM »

I kinda want to hear more of the Nirvana "Nevermind" demos from the sesssions that included 'Pay to Play" (from DGC Rarities.) Reissue "Nevermind" as a Deluxe Edition with those demos and the correct B- sides that the Box set overlooked. I'm guessing this is the plan since the Box blatantly skipped over the correct "past masters."

And then there's Macca... his Collection series discs have great already released B sides and rarities. But dammit man, give us some unreleased gems! If there's anything he's hiding as good as "Mama's Little Girl" sitting in the MPL vaults, he needs to hook us up!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2006, 10:57:54 PM »

Well, you've heard Cold Cuts right, Beckner? Most of Paul's great solo work is unreleased.

When you hear the Nevermind demos, you'll find out that Butch Vig was the genius behind that record.

Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2006, 11:04:27 PM »

I know of Cold Cuts, just haven't heard it.

As for "Nevermind" I agree with Kurt that it sounds like a Def Leppard record and that it sounds like a "candy coated razorblade" (or whatever the actual Cobain quote is.) I definitely prefer the rougher sounding Albini production on "In Utero" and hell, the lack of production on "Bleach" over "Nm." We've talked about it before but have you seen the "Nm" DVD that's out with Vig working the boards on "Drain You"? I agree. he totally made that album.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2006, 11:06:28 PM »

Haven't see that DVD yet. I need to, though.
I gotta hook u up wit some unreleased Macca.

Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2006, 11:08:04 PM »

yah man, IM me man.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2006, 11:09:33 PM »

At a mixing session right now, but tomorrow, definitely.

Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2006, 12:07:26 PM »

Quadrophenia should be a 3 cd set, sides one, two and three on disc one, side four and demos on disc two and the last disc should be live versions of songs from the King Biscut Philidelphia '73 broadcast plus out-takes and alternate takes from the album sessions.
Boxer Monkey
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2006, 03:33:31 PM »

Hmm ... Butch Vig, the brains behind "Nevermind"? (As opposed to, say, I dunno ... *KURT COBAIN* or somebody ... ) Not sure I hear that, esp. since he had nothing to do with the "candy-coated" (or whatev) final mix that probably was the key element in putting the album over to a mass audience. Anyway, Nirvana sort of always sounded like Nirvana, no matter who was at the board. They had the same sound at the same time in the stuff Steve Fisk or Craig Montgomery produced. But "Nevermind" gets a completely unwarranted bad rap, imo, I guess owing mostly to the fact that it was -- duh -- THE POPULAR ONE. The production sheen doesn't bother me so much, but I do confess to preferring Vig's original mixes, some of which made it onto the "With the Lights Out" box. And f*** "In Utero" -- the second disc on the box is Nirvana's finest hour (and 10 minutes) ... That whole disc is a "Deluxe Edition Boner Disc" ...
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2006, 03:36:39 PM »

*sigh*
I probably would like Nirvana if they had been a remotely good live act any of the 4 times I saw them.

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2006, 05:30:57 PM »

The Pet Sounds boxset is crying out for bonus tracks.  Seriously.
Chris D.
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2006, 05:35:47 PM »

Hmm ... Butch Vig, the brains behind "Nevermind"? (As opposed to, say, I dunno ... *KURT COBAIN* or somebody ... ) Not sure I hear that, esp. since he had nothing to do with the "candy-coated" (or whatev) final mix that probably was the key element in putting the album over to a mass audience. Anyway, Nirvana sort of always sounded like Nirvana, no matter who was at the board. They had the same sound at the same time in the stuff Steve Fisk or Craig Montgomery produced. But "Nevermind" gets a completely unwarranted bad rap, imo, I guess owing mostly to the fact that it was -- duh -- THE POPULAR ONE. The production sheen doesn't bother me so much, but I do confess to preferring Vig's original mixes, some of which made it onto the "With the Lights Out" box. And foda "In Utero" -- the second disc on the box is Nirvana's finest hour (and 10 minutes) ... That whole disc is a "Deluxe Edition Boner Disc" ...

For the most part, I agree.
scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2006, 08:16:26 PM »

Dunno where Maybelline's neighborhood is, but in MY neck o' the woods the name Kate Bush is usually met with blank stares--meaning I AGREE WITH YOU...go to youTube.com, type in Kate Bush, sit back and enjoy--if you haven't already...Some lucky Italians have allegedly been listening to CSNY's version of "Pushed it over the End" for years, but not  this American...Bring on the Archives already, I'll find the money somehow (8 CDs--and that's just vol 1 '63-73) The elongated BLUEBIRD shoulda been on the "box set", coulda spent more time on the title...

I know a lot and I know there's a lot I don't know
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2006, 08:19:28 PM »

The elongated BLUEBIRD shoulda been on the "box set", coulda spent more time on the title...

It's pretty terrible, though. In The Hour Of Not Quite Rain and the band version of Four Days Gone are far worse omissions.

CSNY's version of "Pushed it over the End" for years, but not  this American..

That's a pretty easy find. The ultimate version is from Neil's famous Bottom Line acoustig gig in 74.

Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2006, 02:44:03 AM »

What do you think, Chance? Do you think "Piper" or any other Pink Floyd albums would benefit from bonus tracks. Or are they fine as is...

What about things like Vegetable Man and Apples and Oranges - I think you have to buy an entire box set to get those.  There was also a track I heard on a Syd Barrett documentary that sounded great, I don't know what it was called but it went "Ice Cream - tastes good in the afternoon!"  Anyone know what that is and if it's available on any album?

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2006, 02:58:24 AM »

You're right about both..."Rain" and "Days"...I DO have an audience recording from Denver on vinyl...And I have heard the complete Long Version on a boot entitled Sprimgfield Roots, right again it's just OK, really...Have you any live Springfield? Somehow I suspect the answer is yes... Smiley

scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2006, 03:31:57 AM »

Dunno where Maybelline's neighborhood is,

scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2006, 03:38:31 AM »

Well actually I  have a general idea...SS is so much more sophisticated than the BLUEboard, it's gonna take time to figure it ALL out...Just when I was starting to feel a little less like a newbie, cheese and crackers--I DO need more sleep...

Maybelline
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2006, 08:20:59 AM »

Dunno where Maybelline's neighborhood is, but in MY neck o' the woods the name Kate Bush is usually met with blank stares--meaning I AGREE WITH YOU...go to youTube.com, type in Kate Bush, sit back and enjoy--if you haven't already...Some lucky Italians have allegedly been listening to CSNY's version of "Pushed it over the End" for years, but not  this American...Bring on the Archives already, I'll find the money somehow (8 CDs--and that's just vol 1 '63-73) The elongated BLUEBIRD shoulda been on the "box set", coulda spent more time on the title...

My neighbourhood is known as the UK. Yes seen a lot of the stuff on YouTube before, got some ropey old videos somewhere!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx