gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681070 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 20, 2024, 09:21:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Syd Barrett / Brian Wilson  (Read 14333 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2012, 04:48:45 AM »

I was just watching the vh1 documentary on Pink Floyd and it saddened me to see how drugs ruined Syd's mind completely :/
Knowing that could've happened to Brian as well :/ they even mentioned that they would go on tour and have Syd do the "Brian Wilson" thing and just stay in and focus on the music but he wasn't able to..
it makes me wonder how would their albums after piper would've sounded. i like Syd's simple/magical wordplay on the early Floyd songs Smiley
Their story reminds me of the Beach Boys story in a way...
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 07:13:00 AM »

I haven't seen it,  what is it's actual title?    And by the way I admire how you just flat out speak your mind,     Keep the posts coming I enjoy them!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 02:31:27 PM »

I haven't seen it,  what is it's actual title?    And by the way I admire how you just flat out speak your mind,     Keep the posts coming I enjoy them!
this is part of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Qj2_wrZw0&feature=related Smiley
thanks many people on this message board get pissed when i do but i can't help it i'm out-spoken.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 04:53:01 PM »

I don't think anyone cares when anyone speaks his or her mind, as long as it is informed, intelligent, or interesting. Ideally some combination thereof.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 05:23:47 PM »

this is part of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Qj2_wrZw0&feature=related Smiley
thanks many people on this message board get pissed when i do but i can't help it i'm out-spoken.
Case example  Roll Eyes
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12229.0.html

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 05:33:33 PM »

In my youth I was somewhat Syd-obsessed and always kept the beach Boys at arms length. It was hearing the NPR story about BWPS and they made the comparison between Syd and Brian which opened my mind up, just a crack - to check out the Beach Boys.

So I guess you could say Syd was the gateway drug that lead me to Brian and the beach Boys.  Smokin
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 05:55:01 PM »

In my youth I was somewhat Syd-obsessed and always kept the beach Boys at arms length. It was hearing the NPR story about BWPS and they made the comparison between Syd and Brian which opened my mind up, just a crack - to check out the Beach Boys.

So I guess you could say Syd was the gateway drug that lead me to Brian and the beach Boys.  Smokin
wow that's interesting Smiley ..i feel so bad for syd..he had so much potential..thank goodness brian didnt lose it completely.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 07:37:26 PM »

Syd Barrett did what he was meant to do, then got out. Others work a whole career to get results like Syd got on just three albums, and no one talks about potential. He found it, and quit before he killed himself chasing diminishing returns. I admire that.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 07:39:10 PM »

Syd Barrett did what he was meant to do, then got out. Others work a whole career to get results like Syd got on just three albums, and no one talks about potential. He found it, and quit before he killed himself chasing diminishing returns. I admire that.
syd is really only aknowledged for 1 album and a few singles that's about it..unless u count his solo's which are :/
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 07:41:44 PM »

syd is really only aknowledged for 1 album and a few singles that's about it..unless u count his solo's which are :/

His two solo albums are among the two greatest albums ever recorded.

Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 07:58:50 PM »

Case example  Roll Eyes

Yes I've read that before and most of his others and like I said I enjoy them.  He just seems enthusiastic and at least he is contributing, sometimes nothing gets posted and I really love reading this board, it's a nice break from my studies, so he keeps it active.   IMO  some posters (only a small few) are overly sarcastic, jump on someones comment at the least provocation and have delusions of grandeur and importance.  It doesn't always have to be about who likes them the most, who has liked them the longest or who knows every technical detail of every song.  I am not a musician, so for me it's about how the music makes me feel and also the human side via the members of the band, I find them utterly, utterly fascinating.  No one I know feels the way I do about them,  I can not talk to anyone about it, so on here I come.   Sometimes I feel slightly intimidated to ask what I want to ask or discuss.  There are mostly males on here too, wish there were more females.
ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 08:22:57 PM »

I agree with this.

Roger said in some interview that the performing didn't interest Syd (like Brian) and he also wasn't convinced Syd was that fulfilled by creating music (unlike Brian.)

I hope his painting made him happy.

I love Madcap Laughs but I never got into Barrett.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 09:18:18 PM »

Case example  Roll Eyes

Yes I've read that before and most of his others and like I said I enjoy them.  He just seems enthusiastic and at least he is contributing, sometimes nothing gets posted and I really love reading this board, it's a nice break from my studies, so he keeps it active.   IMO  some posters (only a small few) are overly sarcastic, jump on someones comment at the least provocation and have delusions of grandeur and importance.  It doesn't always have to be about who likes them the most, who has liked them the longest or who knows every technical detail of every song.  I am not a musician, so for me it's about how the music makes me feel and also the human side via the members of the band, I find them utterly, utterly fascinating.  No one I know feels the way I do about them,  I can not talk to anyone about it, so on here I come.   Sometimes I feel slightly intimidated to ask what I want to ask or discuss.  There are mostly males on here too, wish there were more females.
thanks Smiley i can't liven things up on here without being bashed lol...everything has to be so precise...if i'm kidding or saying something in a joking matter they become so serious and try to attack me for it lol..
MBE
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 09:51:56 PM »

Syd is really only acknowledged for 1 album and a few singles that's about it..unless u count his solo's which are :/

I also like both of them very much in a different way than his great Pink Floyd work.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 06:06:06 AM by Mike Eder » Logged
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 10:10:14 PM »

I also like both of them very much in a differebt way than his great Pink Floyd work.

i checked out his debut Smiley i wonder exactly what year it was when he lost complete control of his mind and wasn't able to function as a human being.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 10:21:38 PM »

I've heard he wasn't actually "fried" or whatever, he was just sort of reclusive and didn't like to be reminded of his old life. Spent his time painting and gardening, his sister says he wrote a book even.

Also this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smVYvnnqewA

No mas, por favor.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 10:33:01 AM »

I also like both of them very much in a differebt way than his great Pink Floyd work.

i checked out his debut Smiley i wonder exactly what year it was when he lost complete control of his mind and wasn't able to function as a human being.

If he would have lost complete control of his mind and wasn't able to function as a human, he would have been dead much earlier. However, his darkest time was generally in the 73-76 era.

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 07:35:47 PM »

[/quote]There are mostly males on here too, wish there were more females.
[/quote]

Same here!   Grin

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 02:34:02 AM »

There are mostly males on here too, wish there were more females.
[/quote]

Same here!   Grin
[/quote]

There are websites for that you know  Wink
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 04:23:19 AM »

Same here!   Grin
[/quote]

[/quote]
 LOL
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 11:09:09 AM »

Same here!   Grin

[/quote]
 LOL

Ahhhh, reduced to a stereotype..... Violin
[/quote]

Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 11:23:33 AM »

Same here!   Grin

LOL

[/quote]
[/quote]

I would never presume!   All in fun  Smiley
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 11:46:45 AM »

Same here!   Grin

LOL

[/quote]

[/quote]

Of course all in fun, Wild Honey (my favorite BB album btw).  Fact of the matter is -- we love women!  And all male dominated arenas could use a good dose of yin to chill the yang, whether it's world politics or a BB message board!

Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 02:35:28 PM »

[/quote]

Of course all in fun, Wild Honey (my favorite BB album btw).  Fact of the matter is -- we love women!  And all male dominated arenas could use a good dose of yin to chill the yang, whether it's world politics or a BB message board!
[/quote]

Don't even get me started on women in politics!  Smiley     I do think it's odd that there aren't more females on here though...
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 07:31:07 PM »

Of course all in fun, Wild Honey (my favorite BB album btw).  Fact of the matter is -- we love women!  And all male dominated arenas could use a good dose of yin to chill the yang, whether it's world politics or a BB message board!
[/quote]

Don't even get me started on women in politics!  Smiley     I do think it's odd that there aren't more females on here though...
[/quote]

I guess we are getting pretty off topic here , but even though you would see a lot of women at Beach Boys shows (in their hey day and beyond), the hard core  fansters tend to be dudes.  Though it is at least refreshing they are not just baby boomers -- people really into their musical innovation, personalities and stories, what have you.  But I suppose being hard core is generally a "guy" type of thing, like being into cars or sports or history and talking about it all the time.  But the music of the Beach Boys certainly has a "feminine" aspect, and I don't mean songs about girls in bikinis.  But the sensitivity, and emotional and healing aspect.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 07:33:47 PM by Aum Bop Diddit » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx