gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680898 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 06, 2024, 07:36:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Johnny Cash  (Read 4868 times)
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2006, 11:52:15 AM »

"I Still Miss Someone" is the greatest song ever recorded.

I'm developing an obsession. Healthy but an obsession nonetheless.

Do you enjoy Mr. Cash? What's his story?

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 11:56:22 AM »

That's a great song. You should go get that "Storytellers"-CD and listen to his story about that song, singing it with Bob Dylan.

You want the story of Cash? Go read a book. I don't think that it would be as easy to write it down here.... Grin
You just have to know that he was one of the biggest artists in country music and an inspiration and influence on many generations of musicians....  oh and that Brian Wilson doesn't like him very much.... Cool

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 12:10:26 PM »

oh and that Brian Wilson doesn't like him very much.... Cool

Interesting. Did he give a reason as to why?

I guess it was because Brian was trying to expand music into a whole different thing while Johnny Cash was content with doing his own thing.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 12:52:15 PM »

What he said was that he didn't like his voice - thought it was too low, I think. It wasn't that he didn't like him, per se.

Hope you've got Unearthed.  There's a shitload of outtakes from Vol 1 of American Recordings that aren't on Unearthed and it makes you wonder how many are left over from the other sessions...
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 01:35:39 PM »

What he said was that he didn't like his voice - thought it was too low, I think.

Nothing pleases Brian, does it? Johnny Cash's voice is too low, Brian's voice sounds like a girl, Mike's sounds like his "nose is on the critical list", Al's "not a very good singer", et cetera.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 01:40:49 PM »

What he said was that he didn't like his voice - thought it was too low, I think.

Nothing pleases Brian, does it? Johnny Cash's voice is too low, Brian's voice sounds like a girl, Mike's sounds like his "nose is on the critical list", Al's "not a very good singer", et cetera.

You forgot "Van Dyke Parks is a butthole!".

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 01:46:41 PM »

If that's a comment on Van Dyke's singing I'd rather I did forget it..

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 01:48:55 PM »

What he said was that he didn't like his voice - thought it was too low, I think. It wasn't that he didn't like him, per se.

Right, he said : His music I liked, but his voice bothered me.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 06:34:15 PM »

Steve, you need the Sun sessions, the two prison records, Unchained, heck ALL of the American recordings.  Johnny Cash is basic American music, like Elvis, pure and simple.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 11:35:53 PM »

I always thought Dolly Parton wrote that song.  Eh, ya learn something new everyday!

My favorite Johnny Cash song is 5 feet high and risin'.
rb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 03:57:51 AM »

Over 5 years ago I picked up a compilation: The Essential Johnny Cash (1955-1983) on Columbia (I'm not even sure if there's a Columbia Records anymore.) If you can find it, I'd recommend it, especially as a good portion of Disc 1 covers his Sun recordings. 3 discs, about 70 tunes, not much dross.

He was another of those 'you either love him or hate him' guys. And what exactly was his music when he started? Rockabilly? Rock? Country? Blues? Folk? I've never quite been able to put my finger on it. Interesting fella too - poet, hack, man of god, pill-popping freak all rolled into one.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 12:20:17 PM »

You guys pick up American V? Another great album. Really strong stuff. "Gods Gonna Cut You Down" should be a worldwide hit.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 03:09:08 PM »

I heard it on myspace and it's realy cool. But I don't think Cash will have a worldwide hit. that album will probably do well on the charts, get another grammy and that's it.

- Jack Rieley
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 03:15:00 PM »

Well, if there were justice in the world it would be hip with the young people.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 03:49:19 PM »

Well, if there were justice in the world it would be hip with the young people.

"If there's justice in the world Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead"

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx