gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680986 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 03:37:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Still listen to the SMiLE bootlegs?  (Read 4771 times)
sunnycalifornia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2013, 05:30:04 PM »

Or have you just stuck with the The Smile Sessions since it has been released?

My Beach Boys Blog: brianislandlocked.blogspot.com
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 05:37:28 PM »

didn't know they had them......must have missed the release date on those.....hehe

RickB
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 05:43:39 PM »

I only listen to the bootlegs. They're so much better than the released Smile Sessions.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 06:21:17 PM »

I like soniclovenoize's recreation of Smile. He does a great job with creating an authentic construction of what Smile would have been like if released in 1967. He also keeps everything true to the original, no pitch-shifting, fly-ins, and the like.

So, it makes for an interesting listen.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 06:40:25 PM »

I like soniclovenoize's recreation of Smile. He does a great job with creating an authentic construction of what Smile would have been like if released in 1967. He also keeps everything true to the original, no pitch-shifting, fly-ins, and the like.

So, it makes for an interesting listen.

I listen to the released version on vinyl and the Purplechick in the car or via headphones. The mono released version blows on CD but rules hard on the vinyl, for some reason.....
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 07:49:08 PM »

I've never cared to listen to any of the bootlegs.  As long as I've been a fan, Brian's solo version has been out plus the tracks from the Good Vibrations box set and I felt that was all I needed.  Obviously I was wrong and The Smile Sessions is one of the greatest things ever.  And so I still feel no need to ever hear a bootleg.  I mean, how can any bootleg be any more comprehensive or sound any better than what's on the box set?

I suppose for many of you, it has to do with sentimental value as for a long time, bootlegs were the only way to hear Smile and was part of its mystique.  I just never experienced that.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 08:04:40 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 07:56:59 PM »

Seldomly - VigoTone, moksmile & more often UM 17

Would probably listen to others if I took the time effort to track them down.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 11:52:20 PM »

I listen to both. There's stuff on the Sea of Tunes CDs thats great that isnt on the box, particuarly when it comes to Vegetables and Dada. I don't understand the whole not listening to boots if you know it means you're missing out on hearing some quality BB stuff you aint heard before.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 12:34:31 AM »

For the moment, I don't even listen to TSS. If I listen to SMiLE stuff, I listen to my own 1967 SMiLE "reconstruction" - the fifth personal edit I ever did, but my first without linked tracks.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 02:23:23 AM »

I only listen to the SMiLE box-set now, the bootlegs are redundant as far as I am concerned.

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 09:42:34 AM »

Mostly just listen to TSS now but every once in a while I listen to the SOT stuff.  Recently I listened to the Smile Millennium Edition.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 11:29:55 AM »

Just in case nobody caught my sarcasm above, I don't listen to the Smile boots anymore. It's full throttle up with The Smile Sessions box o' goodies.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
sunnycalifornia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 11:31:07 AM »

Just in case nobody caught my sarcasm above, I don't listen to the Smile boots anymore. It's full throttle up with The Smile Sessions box o' goodies.

I caught your sarcasm with your so haha

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 02:53:34 PM »

bootlegs ftw

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 09:56:49 PM »

Yes. Yes I do.

AND JUST TRY AND STOP ME!!!  police
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2013, 08:46:24 AM »

Bootlegs are illegal and I'm an upstanding law abiding citizen

LOL
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 09:45:06 AM »

What exactly should we be seeking out from these sessions that isn't available on TSS box?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 11:52:01 PM »

What exactly should we be seeking out from these sessions that isn't available on TSS box?

For instance, there's a mix of Bicycle Rider with a vocal overdub at the end that I swear goes "Having returned to", like those fabled DYLW lyric "Having returned to the East or West Indies".

?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 03:55:35 AM »

Original Brian edits/mixes and unreleased sessions.  TSS is great and all, but it doesn't have everything.  Boots also have unique sequences that are interesting to listen to.  TSS isn't the Smile, it's just one of many.
sunnycalifornia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 03:12:07 PM »

I still like the idea of making my own Smile bootlegs. ha

ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 12:24:50 AM »

For instance, there's a mix of Bicycle Rider with a vocal overdub at the end that I swear goes "Having returned to", like those fabled DYLW lyric "Having returned to the East or West Indies".

Where can that be found Micha ? It's hard keeping track of all those Bicycle Rider variations.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 01:11:51 AM »

Original Brian edits/mixes and unreleased sessions.  TSS is great and all, but it doesn't have everything.  Boots also have unique sequences that are interesting to listen to.  TSS isn't the Smile, it's just one of many.
I love the mix sessions for Vega-Tables on SOT 17.

A discipline daddy.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 02:42:22 AM »

Where can that be found Micha ? It's hard keeping track of all those Bicycle Rider variations.

Vigotone, CD1, track 22 and 23 I think. Tracklisting says "Heroes & Villains" for both. The second one also features the verses with a Brian lead that is different from both released versions.

ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 03:50:42 AM »

Thanks for replying Micha. Having a full electrical rewire at the moment so my cds aren't accessible for a couple of days. I'll check it out asap.
Tilt Araiza
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 03:04:52 PM »

I've always heard that as "what have you done to...", I'll have to give it a close relisten.  It's one boot track I love to revisit because I think the tape hiss and acetate crackle adds a great spooky ambiance that works just for that one little bit.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx