gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680976 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 11:40:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live In London  (Read 1637 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2011, 12:59:16 AM »

I really enjoy this, probably because much of the material comes from my favourite period i.e. Pet Sounds - 20/20. I love it that we get lesser known album cuts like Aren't You Glad (one of my favourites from the whole catalogue) and Wake The World, and overall the quality of the performance seems really high - especially Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring.

I was just wondering what others' opinions of this album are. I often see a lot of discussion of, and love for, the In Concert album but maybe not so much for LIL (might be my imagination though). Personally I find this a much more enjoyable listen, although I do like the former.

Also (and I'm going to regret asking this), hoiw 'live' is the album in question? Presumably, as was common at the time, a lot of overdubbing was done? The Horns, for instance?

Finally, on a related note, I see a lot of enthusiasm for The Carnegie Hall 72 Concert. I've heard this and it has some great moments but I can't help being struck by some bum notes in the singing, that kind of make me feel a bit indifferent about it. I'm totally clueless about the mixing process for albums such as these i.e. what is/isn't possible but I guess I'm wondering, if this was to get an official release, would the dodgy notes (not many to be fair) be kind of mixed down or what? To my ears In Concert sounds vocally much stronger, but perhaps boots of the same show would reveal more rough edges, out of tune singing etc?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 01:09:06 AM »

I really enjoy this, probably because much of the material comes from my favourite period i.e. Pet Sounds - 20/20. I love it that we get lesser known album cuts like Aren't You Glad (one of my favourites from the whole catalogue) and Wake The World, and overall the quality of the performance seems really high - especially Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring.

I was just wondering what others' opinions of this album are. I often see a lot of discussion of, and love for, the In Concert album but maybe not so much for LIL (might be my imagination though). Personally I find this a much more enjoyable listen, although I do like the former.

Also (and I'm going to regret asking this), hoiw 'live' is the album in question? Presumably, as was common at the time, a lot of overdubbing was done? The Horns, for instance?

Doing an A/B with an audience tape from the same show, if there is any post-sweetening/fixing, it's done really well. The only obvious difference is that some of Mike's patter is cut (nothing of any import).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 01:41:41 AM »

Finally, on a related note, I see a lot of enthusiasm for The Carnegie Hall 72 Concert. I've heard this and it has some great moments but I can't help being struck by some bum notes in the singing, that kind of make me feel a bit indifferent about it. I'm totally clueless about the mixing process for albums such as these i.e. what is/isn't possible but I guess I'm wondering, if this was to get an official release, would the dodgy notes (not many to be fair) be kind of mixed down or what? To my ears In Concert sounds vocally much stronger, but perhaps boots of the same show would reveal more rough edges, out of tune singing etc?

If they have access to the Carnegie Hall 72 multi-track tapes and the vocals are on separate tracks then fixing pitch problems it's a piece of cake.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 02:57:53 AM »

I've always been a big fan because of the use of horns with the setlist...I always LOVED Brian's part on the trumpet during Do it Again!  But those era of tunes NEED horns, the ones that were performed (besides Barbabra Ann)...to me, this is the closest we'll ever have to the Beachago tapes....which is sad

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 04:02:26 AM »

Doing an A/B with an audience tape from the same show, if there is any post-sweetening/fixing, it's done really well. The only obvious difference is that some of Mike's patter is cut (nothing of any import).

Well, that's good to hear! Thanks for taking the time to compare.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 04:47:01 AM »

Carl, 1989, on the Live in London album:
"They had a remote there and we didn't want it to come out. It had a lot of energy, but we thought it was one of those nights where we were real zippy. We were blazing through the set and it sounded real fast to us."

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n295/guitarfool2002/?action=view&current=CarlWilsonp2.jpg

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 05:13:46 AM »

"Darlin'" might be the best live version of all, that could also be said for GOK (also Al's falsetto in the end is very quiet) and GV (apart from Mike's "dearly beloved..."). Unfortunately for some reason I'll never understand, they cut the intro to "California girls" which is terrible. But all in all a very nice live set. Not as powerful instrumentally as In Concert but the singing is great, they still were in top form vocally

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 05:41:10 AM »

Carl, 1989, on the Live in London album:
"They had a remote there and we didn't want it to come out. It had a lot of energy, but we thought it was one of those nights where we were real zippy. We were blazing through the set and it sounded real fast to us."

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n295/guitarfool2002/?action=view&current=CarlWilsonp2.jpg

man, that's cool. Any chance you could post the whole article?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx