gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 06:53:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: what was Dennis' last song?  (Read 3418 times)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2011, 07:45:12 PM »

what was the very last song he ever recorded in the studio before he died and when? both  the last solo recording and the last beach boys song,even if it's just him singing background or playing drums..was he even on KTSA anywhere? thanks..
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 07:55:02 PM »

I just realized Dennis is technically on "Smart Girls".

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 07:59:53 PM »

I stand to be corrected, but I'm pretty sure his last session ever was for a song called "Labor Day", which was recorded on September 3, 1982. As far as I know, both piano and vocals were recorded.

As far as his last Beach Boys session, well that's tricky. As of now, his last released Beach Boys session is for "Endless Harmony." But I suppose maybe you could his last "Beach Boys" session could be considered "Stevie" or the cocaine tapes?? (Not sure about this one)
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 08:01:49 PM »

Dennis is on SMART GIRLS..?? Didnt know that..Are U sure..?
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 08:03:37 PM »

On the old BB samples!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 08:21:44 PM »

From my understanding, Dennis himself doesn't perform on the "cocaine tapes" (i.e. "Oh Lord," "City Blues," etc.) but it's Brian and someone else recording while Dennis was out trying to score some blow for everybody....

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 09:18:01 PM »

I was thinking about making a similar topic. My question is, what is the last known recording of Dennis in the studio that is currently circulating? Is it the 1979 "All Alone" remake? I don't know of any 1980-83 studio recordings that have been booted, unless you count Stevie, but wasn't he just the producer of that?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 09:51:14 PM »

I was thinking about making a similar topic. My question is, what is the last known recording of Dennis in the studio that is currently circulating? Is it the 1979 "All Alone" remake? I don't know of any 1980-83 studio recordings that have been booted, unless you count Stevie, but wasn't he just the producer of that?
Dennis plays drums and co-produces "Stevie"...on the Legacy Edition track "Album Tag Song", the center section which features Dennis solo voice and piano is from a 1979 or 1980 tape, fairly late.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 10:28:28 PM »

A tangential question, but something I've never been exactly clear on - did any serious work take place on Bamboo after 1979/1980 or so?

I suppose nothing later being included in the POB set should answer that, but I'm just wondering whether there was any level of intent to finish it between 1980-1983.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 10:36:03 PM by anazgnos » Logged
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 01:23:41 AM »

A tangential question, but something I've never been exactly clear on - did any serious work take place on Bamboo after 1979/1980 or so?

I suppose nothing later being included in the POB set should answer that, but I'm just wondering whether there was any level of intent to finish it between 1980-1983.

I was shocked to hear -- from two or three different sources, no less -- that Dennis recorded extensively post-Bamboo.  There was a lot of discussion, apparently, when the POB reissue came out, of rounding these tapes up.  The problem, from what I could understand, is once Brother was gone Dennis would basically record wherever he could, so if a friend had a studio, he'd do something there for a bit, etc.  So there was some question of who owned the masters, rounding up the tapes, etc.  But I'd been given to understand there was quite a lot of stuff out there post '79 to work with if they wanted to do a follow up.  As I said, this shocked me because I was completely unaware of this and it seemed improbable to me...but more than one person told me the same thing.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 02:28:48 AM »

That's fantastic news!

The only barrier to release, bar record company/master tape politics, is the quality of the tracks. He wasn't very together at this time, after all..... It'd be fine to be surprised, though  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 03:53:03 AM »

Except for a unreleased "Johnny b. good" from the KTSA-sessions (btw I'd love to hear that !) Dennis only played percussion on "Endless harmony". Don't know if he's on "When girls get together"

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 04:54:16 AM »

Except for a unreleased "Johnny b. good" from the KTSA-sessions (btw I'd love to hear that !) Dennis only played percussion on "Endless harmony". Don't know if he's on "When girls get together"

Actually, I've been told from a very reliable source (one who was actually there) that Dennis was NOT on the "Endless Harmony" session in Big Sur, despite his name being on the AFM contract.  It's possible he added a percussion overdub later back in L.A., but there's nothing to support that notion.  At the "Johnny B. Goode" session, they also made a pass at "Oh Darlin'" with Dennis on drums, but they didn't get very far and cut it for real the next day (without Dennis).  As for "When Girls Get Together", the big, deep bass drum sound on the KTSA mix IS vintage, I'm told (meaning pre-1979/80).  That could very well be Dennis. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 08:37:35 PM »

I was shocked to hear -- from two or three different sources, no less -- that Dennis recorded extensively post-Bamboo.  There was a lot of discussion, apparently, when the POB reissue came out, of rounding these tapes up.  The problem, from what I could understand, is once Brother was gone Dennis would basically record wherever he could, so if a friend had a studio, he'd do something there for a bit, etc.  So there was some question of who owned the masters, rounding up the tapes, etc.  But I'd been given to understand there was quite a lot of stuff out there post '79 to work with if they wanted to do a follow up.  As I said, this shocked me because I was completely unaware of this and it seemed improbable to me...but more than one person told me the same thing.
I really wish that a team of people(Jon Stebbins, AGD, Ed Roach, etc) would get motivated enough to do a serious hunt for tapes, and make a serious effort to sort out all the legal issues involved with getting these recordings released. Being able to listen to "Labor Day" is on my "bucket list".

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 09:29:25 PM »

Alan Boyd is your contact for that request. And maybe Jon Hanlon. Tom Murphy? Stan Shapiro? Jakobsen?  I'm sure they've already searched high and low in the vault. Unless there's tapes in someone's possession...

Adamghost's post on this thread is the first I've ever read that Dennis recorded a lot post 1979. I don't think I've ever seen Jon Stebbins or Ed Roach mention that, unless I have a short memory. I've seen titles........and even a couple of things recorded at Village with Christine, and at a house in Venice, but did he record anything at Brother after the studio was sold in 1978?

That's surprising.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 09:36:06 PM »

What about going to the media? A special request/plea to any private collectors in an article in Rolling Stone, or maybe even something like a TV spot on Entertainment Tonight.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 02:39:42 AM »

I really wish that a team of people(Jon Stebbins, AGD, Ed Roach, etc) would get motivated enough to do a serious hunt for tapes, and make a serious effort to sort out all the legal issues involved with getting these recordings released. Being able to listen to "Labor Day" is on my "bucket list".

Motivate me with a check with enough 0000s on it, and I'll do it single-handedly.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 06:53:49 AM »

Motivate me with a check with enough 0000s on it, and I'll do it single-handedly.  Grin

You might want another number in front of the 0s.....  Wink

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 06:55:21 AM »

I've seen titles........and even a couple of things recorded at Village with Christine, and at a house in Venice, but did he record anything at Brother after the studio was sold in 1978?

"Labor Day" was actually recorded at the old Brother building, however, it had already be resold by Tom Scott, and was a skeleton of what it once had been.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2011, 11:55:58 AM »

Thanks, Ed.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2011, 12:53:29 PM »

Alan Boyd is your contact for that request. And maybe Jon Hanlon. Tom Murphy? Stan Shapiro? Jakobsen?  I'm sure they've already searched high and low in the vault. Unless there's tapes in someone's possession...

Adamghost's post on this thread is the first I've ever read that Dennis recorded a lot post 1979. I don't think I've ever seen Jon Stebbins or Ed Roach mention that, unless I have a short memory. I've seen titles........and even a couple of things recorded at Village with Christine, and at a house in Venice, but did he record anything at Brother after the studio was sold in 1978?

That's surprising.

Dennis and Christine also recorded at Audissey Studios in Hawaii in late 1980, according to Brad Elliott.  Demos of two unnamed Christine songs, one of which may have been (and probably was) "Only Over You", later appearing on FM's "Mirage" album with a credit to DW for "inspiration".
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx