gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680978 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 03:36:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paging all board members: BB songs we all agree on  (Read 24347 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2010, 06:23:14 AM »

Scratch Mona (sorry hypehat), She's Got Rhythm, Winds of Change and It's a Beautiful Day.

Well, at least I got my 5 seconds of fame with Winds of Change.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2010, 08:08:24 AM »

Ok, please add:
Lahaina Aloha
Strange Things Happen
Summer In Paradise
Still Cruisin'
Make It Big
Problem Child
Summer Of Love  angel
California Dreamin'
Rock & Roll To The Rescue
Dance, Dance, Dance
Cherry, Cherry Coupe
Getcha Back
Island Girl
It's A Beautiful Day
She's Got Rhythm
Susie Cincinnati

Wohoo!

You are a brave soul.
Scratching everything but Getcha Back (the only BB's 80's song i can really stand), Cherry and Dance....

I always thought Mona was a song off Love You most people could 'get', seeing as it's bouncy and simple and quite classically BW - the Spector line always makes me smile.

Are bootlegs an option? if so, i nominate 'Dirty Ding Dang', aka 'Rolling Up To Heaven', aka 'Hard Times', aka etc.....
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:14:34 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2010, 08:09:02 AM »

And I got my 5mins of Mona.

Maybe they could be sequenced together-Winds of Mona, anyone?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2010, 08:21:49 AM »

And I got my 5mins of Mona.

Maybe they could be sequenced together-Winds of Mona, anyone?

Ah... Their Farts Were Full Of Spring, yes...

Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2010, 08:28:17 AM »

"Syncopate Al, syncopate...."
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2010, 08:45:27 AM »

and I'm going to take the scalpel to Lana, Cherry Cherry Coupe, Help me Rhonda (Endless Harmony version), Rollin Up To Heaven (would be funny if it was the last song remaining, but I can't bring myself to leave it for fear that this might be the outcome) and Getcha back.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2010, 08:53:12 AM »

Rather tellingly, there is nothing that is universally liked beyond 1973

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2010, 08:56:10 AM »

I think there is a chance that just about all of the songs will eventually get crossed out since there is always somebody that doesn't like a song.

4 uncrossed songs that I don't care for are:
 -Surfin USA
 -Help Me Rhonda
 -Darlin
 -Only With You

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2010, 09:01:25 AM »

This is a great thread!

Can I scratch out Can't Wait Too Long and add from the guilty pleasures playlist on my ipod:

Don't Back Down
Trombone Dixie
Land Ahoy
Santa's Beard (love the chorus!)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2010, 09:06:23 AM »

I never even knew those first three songs might qualify as guilty pleasures. Love them all, especially "Land Ahoy".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2010, 09:07:43 AM »

Ahem... can I propose Guess I'm Dumb?

Trombone Dixie is an ace choice.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2010, 09:11:45 AM »

Oh boy, the good stuff is going now. CWTL? OWY? Gone?

Glad to see Guess I'm Dumb in there -  one of the best BBs songs that never was. The Pet Sounds song that missed the boat in my book.

(But I'd like to give the Don's copy to my 11-month old to see if she can improve it with her new teeth....)

“We live in divisive times.”
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2010, 09:54:53 AM »

I've just scratched San Miguel, and added Little Saint Nick

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2010, 09:59:50 AM »

Oh boy, the good stuff is going now. CWTL? OWY? Gone?

Glad to see Guess I'm Dumb in there -  one of the best BBs songs that never was. The Pet Sounds song that missed the boat in my book.

(But I'd like to give the Don's copy to my 11-month old to see if she can improve it with her new teeth....)

LOL bull's eye...

Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2010, 10:00:45 AM »

Please scratch 'Land Ahoy'.

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2010, 10:38:31 AM »

Please scratch "Guess I'm Dumb."

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2010, 10:47:53 AM »

Please scratch "Guess I'm Dumb."

this is called insubordination. A court martial is awaiting you.  police

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2010, 11:57:19 AM »

"I Know There's An Answer" should get a change. Please add.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2010, 12:27:51 PM »

A couple more if you'd please:

Surfers Rule
Farmers Daughter
I Can Hear Music
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2010, 01:25:08 PM »

Scratch "Surfers Rule" at once!  Smiley

Those other two I like. Also, add "Girls on the Beach". The key change in the last verse sends shivers down my spine every time.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 01:36:42 PM by Fall Breaks » Logged

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2010, 01:59:43 PM »

Thanks for the additions. I love Girls On The Beach too - should definitely be here aswell as I Know There's An Answer.

I'm afraid I Can Hear Music has already been and gone!

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2010, 03:16:37 PM »

Worried that this thread is turning a corner - so much of the very best material has bitten the dust already.  Is the goal now to find one song we can all agree is not bad!?!?!?
 Shocked Roll Eyes LOL

“We live in divisive times.”
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2010, 03:45:03 PM »

Some of the songs crossed off is really disturbing to me  Shocked

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2010, 04:19:11 PM »

The claims of "Girls on the Beach" being a trite "Surfer Girl" re-write always puzzle me. Yes, the initial melody is similar. Very similar, in fact. But the rest of the verse ("The girls on the beach are all within reach") is something entirely different. Dennis' part is what really seperates the two songs from one another and really takes the listener to some place completely different - "Girls on the Beach" is different enough and stands on its own just fine, I think.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2010, 11:47:02 PM »

Worried that this thread is turning a corner - so much of the very best material has bitten the dust already.  Is the goal now to find one song we can all agree is not bad!?!?!?
 Shocked Roll Eyes LOL

In a way this doesn't surprise me as watching discussions here over the years I've been astonished at the songs people dislike. I do hold out hope that there are songs on the list that everybody hold dear.

I've just realised that Smile is woefully under represented, but then what would make the list? Most smile songs are fragments, or early sketches of songs that materialised later on. Nevertheless, I'm going to add:

Heroes & Villains (Cantina version)
Worms
Look
Child Is Father Of The Man
Windchimes (Smile version)

I'm going to scrub Farmer's Daughter

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx