gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680975 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 07:51:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paging all board members: BB songs we all agree on  (Read 24344 times)
ivrimark
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2010, 06:12:35 PM »

Hi, folks.  Everybody has a first post.  This is mine.

An intriguing discussion here!  I feel passionate enough about "You Still Believe In Me" from Pet Sounds that I went through the bother of registering, just to cast this great song into the hat.  Unsurpassed BW falsetto, echoed by the Group, emotive Tony Asher lyrics; what's not to love?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2010, 06:18:11 PM »

I love it. And welcome aboard.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2010, 06:53:25 PM »

Hi, folks.  Everybody has a first post.  This is mine.

An intriguing discussion here!  I feel passionate enough about "You Still Believe In Me" from Pet Sounds that I went through the bother of registering, just to cast this great song into the hat.  Unsurpassed BW falsetto, echoed by the Group, emotive Tony Asher lyrics; what's not to love?

What? That wimpy song? Are you kidding me? Mike Love could've written much better lyrics than that!

Grin Wink

Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2010, 09:20:08 PM »

If anybody hates "No-Go Showboat"...they have no soul.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2010, 11:37:21 PM »

Thanks for all the contributions so far. I was sad to see the bulk of friends go, but glad that Passing By and Busy Doin Nothin are still hanging in there!

Thanks Ivrimark (and greetings!) for adding You Still Believe In Me - great suggestion.

I may have overlooked additions/subtractions so if I've missed anything please let me know. I'm away for the day so won't be able to edit this until this evening, but please keep adding your suggestions.

PS: I'm going to add Diamond Head!

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 11:38:20 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2010, 12:25:17 AM »

For years, Brian called Friends his favorite album. I like it a lot too, although I like EVERY Beach Boys album.

But, other than MIU, IN MY OPINION, Friends is the only other Beach Boys album that doesn't have a stone-cold, classic Beach Boys song on it. Again, I like the songs - especially "Wake The World", "Little Bird", "Transendental Meditation, and the title cut - but I don't put them in that superior Beach Boys' song category. "Busy Doin' Nothin'' comes close, but I'm not sure that'a a classic.

I kind of agree, even though Friends has been my favorite album by the group for quite a few years now. When isolated from the album context, none of the individual tracks seem to work so well, except maybe for the title cut and "Busy Doin' Nothing'". Perhaps even more than Pet Sounds, Friends is best experienced as a whole.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2010, 12:48:28 AM »

Heep Heep Hooray: Diamond Head is an absolute, uncharacteristic, daring yet loungy, chill out masterpiece! I will send anthrax letters to anyone who suggests crossing it out.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2010, 01:03:26 AM »

Oh, I'm very serious about Where I belong and Somewhere near Japan. And I'll second Catch a wave, You still believe in me, Wake the world and Friends.
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2010, 01:16:23 AM »

My address is...

I don't rate Diamond Head that highly so scratch it please. Good to my Baby also isn't top notch so put a line through that one too.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2010, 01:32:21 AM »

I'd strike "I'd love just once to see you" from that list. Minimalist production and simple lyrical charm can only go so far.

In it's place might I suggest "Cuddle Up"?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 01:35:07 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2010, 03:35:27 AM »

... might I suggest "Cuddle Up"?

While in Dennis mode, let's add Make It Good too... entered my head in the shower this morning and hasn't been washed out yet!

“We live in divisive times.”
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2010, 03:48:05 AM »

... might I suggest "Cuddle Up"?

While in Dennis mode, let's add Make It Good too... entered my head in the shower this morning and hasn't been washed out yet!

Each to his own, one man's trash is another man's treasure and all that but in all due respect I must say - Noooooooo!! Worst Dennis song of all time! Why he put it on "So Tough" when he had 3 songs he'd just pulled off "Surf's Up" laying around I'll never know.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2010, 03:49:19 AM »

And then let's scratch Make it Good too. Quite nice but not great. I don't think No-go Showboat is one of the best car tunes either.

I would add Our Car Club though.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2010, 03:52:02 AM »

Add "Custom Machine".

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2010, 03:55:32 AM »

Has it occurred to any other posters that if this thread runs long enough we will end up with a list containing the entire BB's recorded works all with a red line through them?  Tongue

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2010, 04:42:32 AM »

Has it occurred to any other posters that if this thread runs long enough we will end up with a list containing the entire BB's recorded works all with a red line through them?  Tongue

Haha, yes, I for one realized that. It will slowly descend into a lethal tit-for-that routine, just like Laurel and Hardy always had with James Finlayson. And we'll have the collected works, but completely censored inna Joe Stalin stylee.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2010, 10:05:33 AM »

I can't believe no one has mentioned Custom Machine yet! I'd like to add Girl From New York City, Amusement Parks USA, Salt Lake City, Palisades Park, Talk To Me, Almost Summer, Elbow '65, This Song Wants To Sleep With You Tonight, Orange Crate Art, and Take A Load Off Your Feet.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2010, 10:08:15 AM »

I can't believe no one has mentioned Custom Machine yet! I'd like to add Girl From New York City, Amusement Parks USA, Salt Lake City, Palisades Park, Talk To Me, Almost Summer, Elbow '65, This Song Wants To Sleep With You Tonight, Orange Crate Art, and Take A Load Off Your Feet.

And as soon as they're added, I'd like them all to be scratched. Sorry.
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2010, 10:12:37 AM »

I would add Disney Girls though.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2010, 10:33:55 AM »

And as soon as they're added, I'd like them all to be scratched. Sorry.

NOOOOO!!! Cry Cry Cry Cry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Sad Sad Sad Sad

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2010, 11:54:27 AM »

Then we'll scratch the original scratches.

Scratcher, no scratching! Grin

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2010, 04:28:52 PM »

Excuse my ignorance, but are Elbow 65 & Almost Summer Beach Boys songs? I'm unfamiliar with them. Also, hate to be a killjoy but I think we should leave the solo Brian stuff out - much that I like it, if we include solo stuff we'll end up with 3 different versions of songs i.e. the smile, smiley and BWPS version of vegetables!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2010, 04:36:50 PM »

Has it occurred to any other posters that if this thread runs long enough we will end up with a list containing the entire BB's recorded works all with a red line through them?  Tongue

The dreadful irony of a Beach Boys fan community that between them dislikes every single Beach Boys song ever recorded!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 12:14:54 AM by buddhahat » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2010, 11:41:19 AM »

I would add Disney Girls though.

Aaargh -  I feel bad but please scratch it. Lovely song and all that but too full of artificial sweeteners. I can manage it a couple of times a year as a whistle-along,but then I have to skip. Sorry Nicko...

“We live in divisive times.”
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2010, 12:36:32 AM »

No problem. If it isn't there already then I would add I'm Waiting for the Day.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx